Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

MvC3 Random Tips: pitch in, save some time and frustration

Casey25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Casey25

Yo Bombers, this thread is for anyone to contribute any random tip, strategy, or piece of advice they have.  Toss it in here.  Hopefully we'll all learn something new.  (No raging, there's a thread for that)  
    I went a little further than i expected writing this, so hopefully you can post some less intimidating contributions.

Well i'll start with this.  
    Fight request: saves time searching for matches.

If you're trying to do ranked matches but keep getting the "unable to connect" or w/e that keeps sending you back to the main menu, try fight request. 

There is a setting in both arcade mode and training mode that lets you search for ranked or player matches while you play on your own.  It's on the bottom of the screen that comes up where you can set the player health, time limit, difficulty level, etc.  Set it to whatever you want and continue.   I like training mode because you can practice any combo you want in preparation while it automatically searches in the background.  Once you connect with someone it'll say HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER and you're good to go. 

I hated having to go to  fiddle through the menu and select ranked match over and over  when the game first came out, so try this out if this happens to you too.  Idk if its gotten faster a few weeks later, i still do training mode fight request whenever i want to do ranked.  

Character "Classes" , Rock-Paper-Scissors , and how different characters generally do better against some than others.   

Characters like Hulk, Haggar, and Thor are brawlers: slow, heavy, but are beastly up close.  Call them Rock.  They might have command grabs that lead to big damage, attacks that can blow through a hit (hyper armor), and more health.

Characters like Dormammu, Arthur, Doom, and Modok are Zoning/Projectile/Keep-away characters.  Go with Paper.  They're generally good at putting projectiles on the screen in just the right spaces between them and their opponents, whether to pressure with chip damage, provide an opening, bait and punish a wrong move, etc.They can usually do decent damage when they get in on the opponent, but have less tools to do so.   

Characters like X-23, Viewtiful Joe, and Felicia are Pixies.  Less health, but awesome speed and maneuverability.  They have more tools for dodging or cutting through zoning strategies, and so are like Scissors  (couldn't resist).  This can also help in keepaway, though flight got nerfed from mvc2. 

Thor has trouble getting past Arthur's hail of medieval weaponry.  Modok has trouble against Wolverine, who can berzerker slash right through projectiles.  Chun-li has trouble against Hulk because 7 of his hits equal 30 of hers.  Rock beats scissors, etc.  

This is assuming a lot, that both characters are of equal skill, without taking assists into account and plenty of other factors, so its obviously not law, more a principle.  Assists can cover up your weaknesses, allowing Haggar to get in or filling up a hole in Chris's defense.  No character is pure rock or paper, either, as Chris will mess you up if he gets a combo in, Magneto can manage the flow a lot with his Disruptor beam, and ryu has solid but not godlike tools for any situation.  (*whispers* this is why Sent is so good.  He has hyper armor and big damage off simple combos AND mobility AND projectiles /minirant)   

So keep this in mind when you shape your teams and assists.  Do you want to min/max, stay flexible, go for big combos, or fuckitilikeHsien-koandidontcarewhoknows? 

And lastly: 

Beating projectile "Spam" 

I was gonna write an extremely long and epically awesome segment here explaining theory and crap, then i tried to shorten it, but, well, here it is. 
     Against "beam" or bullet type projectile special moves that move fast and have good projectile priority like iron man's Unibeam or deadpool's guns, you can counter in a variety of ways, some riskier than others.   

First, patience.  Every move has a counter.  Blocking is okay as long as you're getting something out of it, meaning you're reading your opponent.  If he's doing one move over and over, punish him with one of these.  If he learns (or is at all experienced) he'll mix it up, and so must you.  But to get back to the point here, heres how you can beat spam.

If its horizontal (as spam often is) the safest thing is to jump over it.  Super jump over, and if you have a dive kick or air dash, get back to the ground or to your opponent.  If you feel like you cant even jump, block first, then jump.  Just remember that if you're soaring high in the skies they can dash under you to the other side adn you're right back where you started.   If they jump and shoot, try dashing forward and meeting them when they land.  

Teleport (phoenix, dante, dorm, and others have them) so you can pop right behind them and go for a big combo.  This can be countered by baiting you and grabbing/hitting you once you get close; it can be risky, so dont do it over and over unless they dont know anything but spam.  

Another high reward but potentially high risk is to use a beam hyper like ryu's shinku hadoken; use a bigger gun than theirs.  Time it right, and you'll blast through their puny projectile.  From there you can Delay Hyper combo into a teammate or X factor and do another one to REALLY make them pay for that spam.  Just remember that if they block they might be able to fire one right back at you before you recover. 

Certain moves will go through projectiles.  Captain america laughs at your commie fireballs as he (hyper) charging stars through them.  Some level 3 hypers are fast adn invincible, like iron man's, akuma's and even chris's.  Another high risk / high reward option.  Use these after your opponent gets really predictable.  You could also x-factor guard cancel out of block stun right into an invincible hyper combo.  

I use deadpool, shifting between keep-away and rushdown on the fly, and i know some of his weaknesses, so ill post some anti-deadpool strats here.  His standing guns are fast, sure, but you can jump/super jump over them if he does just those over and over, or teleport.  If he likes to jump and shoot or throw grenades over adn over, remember that HE CANT BLOCK IN THE AIR DURING AND AFTER THOSE ATTACKS.  If you see him jump, bust out a beam/screen-filling attack and he will land on it.  Also, dont be afraid to spam back if you get the advantage.  MAKE him change his tactics.  Know your options, predict/react, and punish him for being mindless. 

And dont forget, just because they're not in your face doesnt mean they're not thinking harder than you.  Mixing up zoning moves isn't so different from mixing up high/low/throw/crossup on rushdown.

Okay, this is much longer than expected.  One or two sentences would probably be better responses, dont write a fucking mini-essay like i just did.  Hope this helps somebody.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By McGhee

This game is all about getting the first hit. What I do is think up a game plan or trick to get the first hit. 

Right now my team is  
    Magneto 
    Haggar 
    Wesker 

Wesker is front man and Magneto is the anchor. I time it so that Magneto's beam assist comes out and the moment it hits I have teleported behind my opponent and comboed right off the beam into a launch. Or teleport just before the beam comes out so it hits them in the back. I can also mix up the high and low teleport. Thinking up stuff like this is a lot better than just running straight at your opponent. Something to think about. 

Also, learn to Wave Dash. Hit two attack button and down at the exact same time and you'll do a little dash a lot faster than the regular dash. It can be really helpful for slower characters like Haggar, Hulk, etc.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Vade

Here's a better rock-paper-scissors analogy. An online guide.

Rock: Anything with super armor or very high priority moves such as Haggar pipe
    Paper: Spammable/fast projectiles
    Scissors: Teleporters 
    Mushrooms: Anything with low health that requires you to react to your opponent or hitconfirm normals

In considerable lag a teleporter doesn't even need an assist to cover him, just go right in, beats projectile characters for free. Jump air grab in lag? No way. Unfortunately, superarmored moves can be smashed out and can be hitconfirmed to kill combos so there's our rock to beat scissors. Rock is very slow though so they can't really get in on projectile users. Paper is strong because you can't superjump between projectiles in lag. Most paper type characters have almost instant beam supers that help them punish better than dash+normal, which is extremely unreliable in lag.

Also a quick Ranked Game Online Tier List (Lag Independent) for good measure.

Tier 1: Sentinel, Dante, Wesker, Hulk, Phoenix
    Tier 2: Taskmaster, Wolverine, Haggar, Zero, Akuma, Dormammu, Magneto only using distruptor L, Amaterasu, Ryu, Chris, Deadpool, Arthur
    Tier 3: Tron, Iron-Man, Spencer
    Tier 4: Magneto trying to do anything else than spamming distruptor L
    Tier 5: Everyone else

In Tier 1 we have a selection of characters that can basically ignore whatever your opponent is doing and go with their flowcharts. Easy spammable normals, hitconfirms, teleports (let's call them unblockables with an assist). Your game plan is the same against any opponent.

Let's move up to Tier 2. In this section we have everyone who can spam their stuff without any care in the world. Rushdown character with multiple hit normals, spammable fullscreen supers, you name it. They do their stuff well online and can be flowcharted with good success.

On with Tier 3. You have a good thing going with your jump C, Tron. If only you had a piss easy 600k combo with it. Tough luck Iron-man, your beam super is unsafe, though luckily your trijump is more reliable than anyone elses. I like your Falcon Punch, Spencer.

Tier 4 foolish online Magneto should spam more distruptor L. You can't do your stuff online, connection quality is unknown. Stop trying, thanks.

All the fine characters in tier 5, I feel bad for you but there's always offline. Maybe you have good assists so you see some online play (I'm looking at you Doom).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.