Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

Official Team/Character Discussion Thread

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Pessh

Already about ten threads and it's going to get way worse once the game comes out. Hopefully this will keep down the number of 'is this team ok?' topics. Try and keep and all questions and discussion on teams, team building, matchups, combos, and character specific stuff here.

I'll keep the OP updated with some recommened reading/watching as it surfaces. You should definitely check out trag13's youtube channel, he's posting a shitload of combo videos every few hours. Apparently Wolverine is nuts which is a bit surprising.

As for me, I'm liking Dante, I don't want to but look at this shit...

...and he has corridor assist from MvC2. Oh and If anyone gets the game early pleeeeeeeease try hypering during Morrigan's astral vision, pretty sure she won't be able to but until it's confimed I'm gonna keep hoping. 

Character Assists

Stamina Rankings

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Rhaknar

without having played it, but after watching...countless videos, im 90% sure I'll be running with:

Wesker, Deadpool, Super Skrull - Main, jack of all trades team which i like

Dormammu, Modok, Trish - Other Main, pure keep away...maybe too pure, I dunno

Magneto, X-23, Taskmaster (or Spidey not sure yet). - To be investigated Rushdown team

Tasky might have to be booted for Spidey, i'm hearing he is actually a bit on the slow side so I might stick him in my Hulk/Thor Team.  Those 3 teams are just the 3 ill have on reserve tho, I'll play a lot of other chars. 

You know what I love about the reserve teams? It makes it so much easier to practice against specific tactics. Say you wanna practice against, keep away, you can just go "yo rhak hit me up with some modok psyonic blast trolling" and its just 1 button press away :P that, and instant rematches!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

What makes Amaterasu's Ice Beads one of the best assists in the game? Why should I choose that instead of making her a Battery (I think that's the correct term) and using G-Bloom?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rhaknar
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " What makes Amaterasu's Ice Beads one of the best assists in the game? Why should I choose that instead of making her a Battery (I think that's the correct term) and using G-Bloom? "
    have you SEEN it? great dmg (even chip), it lasts forever, pushes back... people only use battery assists for specific purposes usually
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Rhaknar: Ah, I see. Thanks.
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ricetopher

Fucking pumped that Wolverine is looking good, he's my favorite X-Men character that made the cut. Really thought he was going to be shit since no one decent touched him in any pre-release gameplay

Looking over the guide sample I have some ideas on how to build a team with him in it, will be a lot of day 1 in training mode regardless.

@Pessh: I'll give the Morrigan thing a try on Tuesday and let you know if no one does beforehand.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rhaknar
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Rhaknar: Ah, I see. Thanks. "
    also, she jumps in the air and stays back shooting while you rushdown, making it safer than most other assists.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Holy crap, I just realized the game is coming out next week! Well, I knew the date, but I never realized how close it really was.  

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By DarkShaper

Having not actually played the game yet, I think I'm gonna go with She-Hulk, Zero and Super Skrull.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pessh
    @ricetopher: Thanks man. Dude who did those Dormammu and Dante videos has some Wolverine ones up if you havn't seen them.
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ricetopher
    @Pessh: Yeah I've seen those combos, the guide has some even more damaging ones written out too, will have to try them on Tuesday.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer
    My first team is probably going to end up being Taskmaster/Trish/Hulk. Decent at any strategy and Hulk may end up being one of the most reliable characters for an AAA if he keeps his super armor since Ryu's AAA has no invulnerability frames which makes me think that the same might end up being true for a majority of the cast.

Maybe team midget with Joe/Amaterasu/Arthur?
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gosukiller

I haven't really decided on a good combination yet, so I'll just go with characters I like: 

Magneto, Deadpool, Wesker. 

It's probably a horrible team, but I'll have to find out the hard way xD

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Based entirely on speculation: 

Viper/Wesker/Hsien-Ko. 

Seems only good for rushdown with some slight zoning/annoying game. We'll see where it evolves from there. 

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @SirOptimusPrime: Hsien-Ko looks like a nightmare monster vs. any traditional keepaway characters. Gong assist then teleport behind them with Wesker = Arthur sandwich.
    hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By hansolol

Wow, so many Weskers.  I totally had Dante pegged as the early crowd favorite.  I'm estimating about 30% of all teams I see on forums have Wesker in them.  Sheesh.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pessh
    @StarvingGamer: I need help
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Pessh Sup?
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pessh
    @StarvingGamer: Working on my team, Dante last because hes best as an anchor, doesn't really need assists, can make good use of xfactor and his jam session assist is sick, Viper has to come second because she needs meter, so stuck on pointman, someone capcom, ammy/chris maybe?
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Yanngc33

Dante, Deadpool and Amaterasu will be my main team. May try out Wesker and Supeskroll but Amaterasu will remain my assist character thanks to its b assist (ice beads) which seems ridiculous and covers the ground and part of the air. Maybe Zero could take its place, gotta try it out.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Pessh I hate to say Wesker but, Wesker? If you're rocking Viper and Dante then it seems like you want to RTSD and overhead/low assists can make that amazing. Of course I'm not sure how useful Wesker is going to be for meter building? If Ammy can build up meter quickly enough then that also might be a solid choice since Cold Star will be great for extending combos and is just an amazing assist to begin with. Chris might be a decent more durable option, but his speed makes him seem suspect to me.

The more that I think about it, the more that I like Ammy for your setup. Cold Star is just too sick. The only issue I can see is playing a successful keep away game without another long range assist. Also I have no idea how useful DHC is going to be from Ammy to Viper but meh.

Just pick Sentinel trollolol.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By StaticFalconar

I'm thinking of having Wesker at point, and someone with a good assist (there's tons of them) be 2nd. But after seeing this vid (down below), I gotta say, even though Phoenix has so little health that you really have to know what you're doing, she sure does seem like a good anchor.  

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @StaticFalconar Be careful, Phoenix may be an offensive god but she dies to one meterless BnB from like... everyone. Once players get better and consistently execute their combos, it's going to become exponentially harder to win as Phoenix.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pessh
    @StarvingGamer: Yeah guess I'll rock ammy and see how it goes. I think Viper dhc sucks with pretty much everyone, I know you can off of million dollars but thats about it. Black Zero looks pretty dope and spooky was saying he's sick but not sure why, damage looks ass.

Lol, saving Sent for my Arthur/MODOK troll team.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @StarvingGamer: Phoenix just has the akuma complex where its all or nothing type of character. Depending on how well I groove with her she may be dropped if I don't feel good about taking that risk. But still, from the vid, a spamming random projectiles gave her a super bar already and she can heal. My original team in my mind without thinking about whos a good anchor/assist etc, was originally Wesker, Doom, Dormu with the theme of team evil, but unless that team just so happen to be a good one by chance, I'll leave that for gimmick fights between my friends offline. 
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BBQBram

So are there any specific no-go's in terms of team choice? Are certain characters meant to used as assists?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @BBQBram No, unlike MvC2 every character in MvC3 should be functional. Of course some will be better than others, but the discrepancy shouldn't be nearly as drastic.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pessh
    @StaticFalconar: So much more so than Akuma though. She can die from three blocked hyper's chip.

@BBQBram: Nah right now everyone's alright, a few characters aren't as good as the others but I'd just go with who you want to start. No ones meant to be used as an exist, but you might pick someone like Chun or Ammy solely because of their assist if thats what your team needs, and they're both pretty strong characters.
    Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Schizoid
    @Pessh said:
    " @StarvingGamer: Yeah guess I'll rock ammy and see how it goes. I think Viper dhc sucks with pretty much everyone, I know you can off of million dollars but thats about it. Black Zero looks pretty dope and spooky was saying he's sick but not sure why, damage looks ass.  Lol, saving Sent for my Arthur/MODOK troll team. "
    I can't imagine the amount of abuse you'll get through messages if you go Arthur/MODOK/Sent, that is the most annoying team you could possibly have!
    dunkard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#30  Edited By dunkard

Good day people. It seems that Thor is fat in MvC3,and also Hulk doesn't look like Hulk.. on some videos he looks different,like a croc man. This seems to be dissappointing.. will there be alternative costumes/looks? Thanks..

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dunkard said:

" Good day people. It seems that Thor is fat in MvC3,and also Hulk doesn't look like Hulk.. on some videos he looks different,like a croc man. This seems to be dissappointing.. will there be alternative costumes/looks? Thanks.. "

I don't even...  

Hulk looks very like Hulk as far as I'm concerned. There are alternate colours atm, with alt. costumes to come in the future from what I gather.

OT: Can someone give me some pointers on Team Building? Just in general, not character specific. I know you want a battery, someone to build meter, but what other requirements/attributes do I want to look to include?
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pessh
    @GetEveryone: As much balance and options as possible. Chris is sick at zoning, but struggles with AA. An AA assist can solidfy his keepaway, while a projectile assist can take it to the next level. Your third/anchor should be able to do shit by themselves, you don't want to be stuck with one character remaining, who can't get in because your assists are gone. They should be able to see out the game/make a crazy comeback and be able to make good use of X-Factor. Dante can do that, and has an op assist, so he'll be my anchor. If someone needs meter to be effective you might want to save them for second/last. Some people might go with Wesker as their pointman as a battery, he can do damage without burning meter while building it pretty quickly for your second and third characters. Another team might have Dante on point to do all their damage and just use the remaining two slots for assists to help Dante do his thing. Another team might forego synergy for three crazy rushdown characters. 

Shit is deep. Evil Rahsaan's team doesn't even start with his pointman. Starts with Hsien-Ko, he throws out a projectile you can't jump over as soon as the match starts, uses that as cover to activate power up hyper and tag out safely, then he has his true pointman out and will have invulnerable assists with Hsien Ko for the rest of the match because of power up hyper. All this in the first 5 seconds of the match.

There's not really a definitive team formula or anything so can't help you too much.
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gosukiller

Right now I'm getting great results with Magneto, Dante and Chun Li. At least they are pretty fun to play without any real tactics in mind. 

Dante's Jam assist is sick!

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By VicRattlehead
    @dunkard: have you ever seen oliver coipels design of thor? 

thats what its based of... if anything the ingame model is slimmer than the one represented on JMS's run  

No Caption Provided

even the concept art is a slimmer version...
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @GetEveryone: 
    • Pick a point character that you like
    • Pick a secondary character that you like with an assist that will help point character do his/her job
    • Pick an anchor character that you like with an assist that gives you another way to help point character do his/her job, and hopefully is not as reliant on assists when he/she becomes last man standing

That's at least the very basic idea as I see it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pessh said:

"There's not really a definitive team formula or anything so can't help you too much. "

No, man, that is exactly what I was after. Just some general ideas for building a team, what each member does and then a couple of specifics.  

Really helpful, dude. Thanks a lot. 

@StarvingGamer: Likewise, cheers, dude.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cookiesforbreakfast said:
    " @Schizoid said:
    "I can't imagine the amount of abuse you'll get through messages if you go Arthur/MODOK/Sent, that is the most annoying team you could possibly have! "
     I hope you're right. I've not put much thought into it but MODOK, Arthur and Chris Redfield will be my first team. "
    I was thinking of rocking something very similar. Want to try out Amaterasu/MODOK/Chris, but not sure in what order...
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pessh
    @GetEveryone said:

" @cookiesforbreakfast said:

" @Schizoid said:
    "I can't imagine the amount of abuse you'll get through messages if you go Arthur/MODOK/Sent, that is the most annoying team you could possibly have! "
     I hope you're right. I've not put much thought into it but MODOK, Arthur and Chris Redfield will be my first team. "
    I was thinking of rocking something very similar. Want to try out Amaterasu/MODOK/Chris, but not sure in what order... "
    If you're gonna play MODOK think you have to have him on point with some good assists, MODOK'S and Chris' are pretty ass as far as I'm aware and cold star is for holding people in place rather than AA/getting people off you. Crhis does look insane though, check 9:30. 

Seems decent enough, only thing I'd say is Chris or MODOK with a good assist might get better results than Chris and MODOK. Up to you of course, just trying to help.

I'm rolling with Ammy/Viper/Dante. Ammy to build some meter, she can play rushdown and keepaway, have an overhead assist in Viper's burn kick if I need to rush down and Dante's jam session assist to help keep away. Bring in Viper once I have meter, mad damage off of cold star assist cross ups, Jam session to keep people off me. If all else fails bring in Dante and OCV with xfactor. Might switch things around a bit against heavy zoning teams, bump Dante up to the front with his teleport.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pessh
    @cookiesforbreakfast: Was meant for GE but no problem lol
    Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

#40  Edited By Sergotron

So far from the 5 hours I have played last night it seems I am a big fan of: 
      Amaterasu, Morgan, and still working on my third. I am liking Thor and Super Scrull.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pessh: Again, great shit, dude. I really want both of them in a team, but I might be better off having them in different teams. How are Felicia's assists? I'd thought about rocking her/ammy/modok, but it's all dependent. Seems like you can play some crazy mix-up games with MODOK, so having him with Ammy as a rush-down character with a great assist seems like it might work. Depends on Felicia. To be honest, my theory on this game is almost non-existent, so any tips are well appreciated. 

Can't wait to just fuck about all weekend with it. Will definitely get majorly bodied, though. 
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By Undeadpool

Having never really played a VS game, it it good to have a team with a unified theme or to try to cover all bases?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @GetEveryone Felicia has a low attack assist for unblockable setups on rushdown. Also she has a meter building assist which can be great if your keepaway is strong. Unfortunately once she's on point, her strongest BnBs are going to be pretty execution heavy with actual links as opposed to chains.

After forcing my way into a friend's house this morning I'm really really liking Trish but Taskmaster seems to be painfully awkward to use. It's really easy to troll with Arthur and... any projectile assist. Also Doom is still a motherfucker and X-Factor Hulk is fierce. Won't get to play again until tomorrow morning and I'm going out of my mind.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pessh
    @GetEveryone: She's got an oh, a low and a projectile. Would rather have Morrigan's dp or Hsien Ko's pendulum to be honest. Read she has tough links and needs good execution though, sounds right up your street =P 

Go with Chris/Ammy/MODOK if thats what you really want to play and see how it goes, I've seen dudes tearing it up with MODOK/Ammy/Morrigan and I'd probably take Chris over her were it not for her DP assist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StarvingGamer: @Pessh: Yeah, links shouldn't be a problem. It'll be nice having someone who relies on some tight execution, anyway :)  Hsien-Ko doesn't really seem for me, but I'll see. Deadpool might fit well...

I think I'll at least try out Chris/Ammy/MODOK; seems pretty versatile. Might use Ammy as anchor, with Chris as point and MODOK as secondary. Try and zone initially, build some metre then get tricky on them.  

Going to look into a second team, but considering I don't even have the game yet, it's early doors. Might make a flashy team for dicking about...
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By VicRattlehead

im not great at making teams in marvel games... i usually just pick who i like character wise... prob roll with thor/lei-lei/iron man with spidey, hagger, dante, cap, wesker or chris rotated in place of someone... i dunno lol wish it was like 6 on 6 or something 3v3 is so 10 years ago :|

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By benpack

So far the only character I am really into is Dormamu. He has some sick combos that are easy to do. I'm trying Dormamu/Arthur/Okami Dog but I'm gonna have to change it up. Okami Dog's B assist is godlike, but I can't do shit with him as a character so far, and Aurthur is all about keep away, but I need to figure out what projectile to use when, and how to be competent at close range. Any suggestions are welcome.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @GlenTennis: Basically with Arthur it seems like double lances in the air vs jumpers an triple daggers on the ground to win fireball wars is the way to go. Dormammu's assists kinda blow but I like Doom at lot. As far as close range goes... don't let them get in? I trolled my friend hard with Doom rocks and random Arthur spam. His Goddess's Bracelet Hyper is pretty good to push them back across the screen if they get in too close. Don't forget you can move around while doing it. Dorm/Doom/Arthur should be amazingly annoying.

Or pick Sentinel and just win :D
    freshakiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By freshakiff

i think I found my team: Hagar, Amaterasu, and Super Skrull. I dig them, but I'd like to know if any of them are over powered. It's a pet-peeve of mine i don't like playing as "over powered" or "cheap" characters in games, so ya any info would be great.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @freshakiff: Don't worry, no one will accuse you of tier whoring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.