Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

Pre-Release Team Building & Theorycrafting Help Thread

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer

To post your team in this thread, please fill the following questionnaire (borrowed from Shoryuken):

1. What characters (assists) will you be using in order of selection?

2. What type of gameplay strategy will you be utilizing with your team?

3. What advantages does your point (first) character have?

What disadvantages does your point character have?

What mobility options does your point character have?

How will your assists aid your point character?

4. What advantages does your second character have?

What disadvantages does your second character have?

What mobility options does your second character have?

How will your assists aid your secondary character?

5. What advantages does your anchor (third) character have?

What disadvantages does your anchor character have?

What mobility options does your anchor character have?

How will your assists aid your anchor character?

6. What type of Delayed Hyper Combo interaction will your characters have?

7. How effective will your Team Hyper Combo be?

8. What overall weaknesses does your team have?

9. After answering this questionnaire, how comfortable are you with your team?

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By AndrewJD

10. After reading this are you;   

A) less excited for MvC3 
    B) more excited or 
    C) suicidal 

;)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @mubress
    10. After reading this are you;   

A) less excited for MvC3 
    B) more excited or 
    C) suicidal 

;)
    o_O I need this game!!!!!!!!!!
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Where do I read up on the characters I'm interested in playing (weaknesses, assists, strengths...)? I think I had read Haunts' 1UP preview, but that wasn't very detailed... And, what exactly defines an 'anchor' other than it being the 3rd character in your team?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fallen189

Play sentinel 

Win

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Pessh
    @FluxWaveZ: Gameplay videos. The only dudes who are picking teams are on srk, and they're basing it on what they've seen. There's nothing comprehensive with strengths, weaknesses, assists out there. If you're interested in Dante, Zero, Wesker, Deadpool, X-23 or Phoenix Seth did a decent writeup on bitmob. There's not much point at this stage though, just decide on characters you like from what you've seen. Then when you get it just try three of them fuck around with it, adjust to your weaknesses, if you can't get in bring in chun assist or dude with teleport, if you're getting raped by jump ins bring in someone with an aa assist etc. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @FluxWaveZ The shoryuken.com forums have dedicated threads for each character. I'd embed a link but I can from my phone.

As far as an anchor character is concerned, it really depends on your team. Some players build teams focused completely around a single point character in which case their choice of an anchor is based around the best possible assist/DHC character available for their point character. Other players prefer a more balanced playstyle and freely switch between all 3 characters depending on situation in which case the anchor has no specific role. Some players may choose a character that is more self-sufficient without the aid of assists or a character that gets more benefit than most from X-Factor so that they'll still have a fighting chance if their anchor ends up being the last man standing.
    kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By kingclaw
    @StarvingGamer: Dude you  are scaring a noob, I just want to have a little fun  T_T
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @kingclaw lol that's fine, I just made this thread for any of the people that are feeling a little more hardcore and might want to level up their game.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BBQBram

This thread made me real excited and intimidated at the same time. Just like any good fighting game should!

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pessh

Don't get discouraged, half the questions don't mean shit, what's important is synergy. A little common sense and a lot of playtime and you should be fine.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Pessh
    Don't get discouraged, half the questions don't mean shit, what's important is synergy. A little common sense and a lot of playtime and you should be fine.
    Hahaha such a negative nancy, most of the questions relate directly to synergy. Can't be imprtant and not mean shit at the same time hmmm?
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pessh
    @StarvingGamer:Negative? What are you on? I'm being positive, trying to encourage all these people you've intimidated by pasting this crap. Just explaining that all these questions mean, is that you want as much synergy as possible, which is a lot clearer, simpler and less intimidating to people that don't know what a DHC is.   
    Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Lilarcor

My planned team is Wesker (Samurai Edge), Viper (Burning Kick), and Amaterasu (Cold Star). The strategy is pretty straight rushdown: Wesker and Viper are both high-damage characters with a strong mixup game and their respective assists can set up unblockables (Samurai Edge hits low, Burning Kick is an overhead), Amaterasu is anchor to keep the opponent in block stun with Cold Star, since it lasts a long time and covers a pretty large space. I put Wesker first because he seems to have a bit of a life advantage over Viper, and because he doesn't need as much meter to be effective due to all of Viper's EX moves. Amaterasu also has a strong keepaway game if I have a life advantage as time is running out thanks to her whip stance and fullscreen level 1 punish, although it's not as strong as Hailstorm. All three characters are pretty mobile, since Wesker has teleports and Viper/Ammy both have 8-way air dashes. The main weakness I see with this team is the lack of a strong AA assist, so I might switch Viper to her Thunder Knuckle assist if Burning Kick doesn't help Wesker as much as I expect. All 3 characters are apparently on the lower side of the life scale, so I'll need to be aggressive to make sure I'm on the offensive as much as possible.

I'm no fighting game expert, so I'm mostly guessing about a lot of this from reading about and watching a LOT of this game. I think I got most of it right, so now I just need a whole lot of practice.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Lilarcor Well you could easily swap in Thunder Knuckle (AA) against a more rushdown oriented team with faster characters, then stick to Burning Kick against any team where it should be easier to stay on the attack. Only real concern might be the lack of effective DHC between Wesker and Viper. But it seems like you're so rushdown focused that it won't matter so mich hahaha.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @StarvingGamer: Whoa.  Is this like, a serious fighting game?  I honestly had no idea.  I just played MvC2 in arcade, thought it was neat, and that was that.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @HaltIamReptar Yeah, MvC games are often referred to as sandbox fighting games because of the infinite possibilites they represent. You're going to see shit in MvC that's crazier than any other fighting game. There are countless unblockable setups and near-infinites and combos that can 100% a character and yet it is still all somehow balanced. Also HYPE!
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rhaknar

I was quite happy to find out you can have not 1 but 3 teams saved up ready to be used with a touch of a button, but so far I only really have 2 teams set up in my mind. Im not going to do an essay on them (lol) but it pretty much goes like this:

My Main Team

Modok, Wesker, Skrull
    Assists: Modok Psyonic Blast, Wesker Punchy thing that bounces them off the wall, and Skrull Tenderizer

It started off as nothing but the 3 characters I want to use the most, but to be honest, its also quite versatile which I like. I can play keep away with Modok on point using Skrull tenderizer and Weskers wall bounce (which sends them flying to the other side of the screen) to keep ppl at bay, I can use Skrull for some heavy hitting action (Modok psyonik blast into Skrull's death from above move? yes pls) or Wesker for some teleport shenanigans. Im liking the idea. But like I said, it started as nothing but the 3 characters I like the most.

My Keep Away Team

Dormammu, Trish, Deadpool
     Assists: Trish Trap, Deadpool Upward guns, Dormammu...yeeeeeeeeeeeah, his assists are shit. The blakc hole one I guess.

This one has more thought behind it. In theory it always has Dormammu on point, or Trish for annoying trap shenanigans. Also, Dormammu's Fire bomb (which tracks, no SJ escape for you) + Trish's Scythe hyper? ouch... Deadpool looks amazing on keep away, but hes there for DHC guns, or as a last ressort thing because he seems beastly with lvl 3 xfactor.

I want to make some sort of rush down team around X-23, Im stuburn so I wanna make a team around Pheonix and her silly health, and maybe a grappler team because I'm digging Thor and She hulk

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Rhaknar: I'd say the best place for Phoenix would be in a fierce rushdown team with a character that can rushdown well without many assists on point like maybe a Zero? Then Morrigan with her meter building assist and Phoenix last. Have Zero pressure to give Morrigan the freedom to build up to 5 meters, tag in Phoenix and fight with her until she goes Dark, then tag her back out and have her use her now horrifically imba assists to make whatever juice Zero and Morrigan have left unstoppable. Also you keepaway team looks like a PITA to fight against o_O but Dormammu seems REALLY difficult to use correctly.
    Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mrsignerman44

WESKER DANTE DEADPOOL ALL D4Y EVERYD4Y <--------99% of teams.

Oh god, I hope not.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Mrsignerman44: Sadly you're probably pretty close to dead on. Wesker / Dante / Deadpool is the new Ken.
    Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mrsignerman44
    @StarvingGamer: Hell maybe even Sentinel/Dante/Deadpool

You never know, people are always looking to fill in a position in their "so-cool" Dante/Deadpool team.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Can't wait to try out a Zero (A)/Dr. Doom (Y)/Sentinel (B) this Friday! Luckily my friend got a copy of the game from a Capcom employee.

Too bad the Best Buy stores near me don't really know when they will have em playable.

Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lilarcor
    @StarvingGamer:  My plan is to have a troll team specifically for whenever I see Wesker/Dante/Deadpool online. I'm pretty sure MODOK/She-Hulk/Sentinel would be the most effective at provoking horrible internet rage. I have to get good with my 'real' team first though.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Lilarcor Is there something about the way she-hulk plays that you feel makes her troll worthy? Like bouncing all over the place? Or is it just because she's she-hulk?
    Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lilarcor
    @StarvingGamer:  I judged the troll team purely by how many people I saw complaining online when they were announced instead of Cyclops/Megaman/Popular Character X. Sentinel and MODOK inspired the most rage by far, She-Hulk is a distant third but I can't find anybody else who people really really hated that would take her place.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Lilarcor: Really? I don't remember any M.O.D.O.K. rage. Beyond Sentinel I remember there being a lot of She-Hulk (derp two Hulks? derp) and X-23 (derp two Wolverines? derp) rage. After that I remember there being some Trish and Magneto rage and some Wesker rage too (derp two RE characters? derp) until everyone found out that Wesker is beast.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @StarvingGamer said:
    " @Lilarcor: Really? I don't remember any M.O.D.O.K. rage. Beyond Sentinel I remember there being a lot of She-Hulk (derp two Hulks? derp) and X-23 (derp two Wolverines? derp) rage. After that I remember there being some Trish and Magneto rage and some Wesker rage too (derp two RE characters? derp) until everyone found out that Wesker is beast. "
    MODOK was met with intense hate from all the scrub kids when he was announced. 
    Wesker on the other hand was met with nothing but praise. 

Don't know where you've been hanging out online. StarvingGamer has it right, those are the three characters people moaned about the most.
    Horry43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Horry43

I just went with the two characters who had my favorite themes. I still need a third. 

Zero and Doom are the two I have decided on though I don't know who will be point. I'm assuming Zero with Doom's rock assist. For my third I think I will get experimental in training and see who compliments them the best.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Horry43: I'd recommend someone with an overhead/low assist to set up unblockables since Zero is all about pressure.
    hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By hansolol

I was looking at the MVC3.com character page for She-Hulk and saw this in the comments:

Take out this piece of shit(She-Hulk), M.O.D.O.K, Shuma and Sentinel. Add in Gambit, Venom, War Machine and ... i dunno. Anybody but these jackasses. Hob Goblin might be cool. Fuck you Jonathan you have no right to accuse people you don't know of not being Marvel fans or not. I'm a HUGE Marvel fan, always have been but think it's just fucking stupid to add these characters, and yes, I knew who they were way before the game. They're a fucking JOKE. They're a disgrace to Marvel. Maybe not so much Sentinel but definitely the rest. I would feel insulted if I accidentally even highlighted them in the game. So just go fuck yourself dude.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Horry43 said:

" I just went with the two characters who had my favorite themes. I still need a third.  Zero and Doom are the two I have decided on though I don't know who will be point. I'm assuming Zero with Doom's rock assist. For my third I think I will get experimental in training and see who compliments them the best. "

I had the same idea (because Strider is not there) and actually tried it. Honestly, Doom's assist is not really effective with Zero on point personally. I switched to Dante with his crystal (Y) assist and had better results. I also used Mango Sentinel with his bomb assist (B).
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By lordofultima

I'm just gonna play the dudes who I wanna play. Don't care for top tier team-building. Right now I'm thinking Nathan Spencer, Amaterasu, and I can't quite nail down a third...Wesker, Thor, Taskmaster, and Akuma all seem dope.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.