Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

Reaching 4th Lord Ruined this Game for Me

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Legend

When you reach 4th Lord in ranked matches, you'll only be able to play against players ranked 4th and higher. This might sound like a good thing since you'll be more likely to find opponents who are as skilled as you.. but this isn't the case. There aren't many players who reached 4th at this point which means it'll be harder to find matches (even harder than before with the mostly broken matchmaking system). When you do find a match, it'll probably be someone you already fought against two or three matches ago, and most of those players are cheap assholes who spam the same moves over and over again. What makes them worse than lesser ranked players is that they have mastered their cheap techniques at this point; they know the moves that work and they spam the hell out of them. I have little hope that things will get better when I get promoted to 3rd Lord. This sadly makes most of the highest ranked players no fun to play against. I don't want to waste my time with player matches, so I'll probably stop playing the game for a few months until there are more people to play against at this rank. 

Is there anyone else who reached 4th Lord and feels the same?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By McGhee

Instead of just stopping to play, could you just delete your game save and start over? Or does Capcom also keep a record of your rank?

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MudMan

I had the same problem, just earlier. As soon as I hit Fighter I started getting matchups with Lord-ranked players right away and the leap in skill was so immediate that I haven't been able to win a match since, so I haven't been able to get better (not much to learn while a Sentinel, Wesker and Phoenix team juggles you in the air forever without letting you attempt anything to begin with). 

The game is really starting to reach its critical point of cheapness. Sure, I might be able to try to do the same and spam air combos ending in a Wesker super or spam Sentinel attacks but... I refuse. Because it's not fun. So I can't win, so I can't get better. 

I'm surprised this didn't come up during testing that much. The game really needs a bunch of the weaker melee characters (Chun Li, X 23, Felicia and others) to be able to cross the screen faster while not comboing. They can out of a recovery or while attacking, but jumping high to avoid a beam attack still leaves you alone and not moving forward in the middle of the air, so that's not much use. If they fixed that and prevented shotgunning from being that useful maybe we could start talking about the flawed air combo system afterwards.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By TechHits
    @Legend: If you keep losing matches you will be downgraded, so you could then fight in a lower bracket.  
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac:  also you are right if you delete your game or log in with another ps3 your record will not carry over.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Legend
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac:@TechHits: 
    I have a pretty good win/loss ratio, and I don't want to lose that just to get downgraded and find better matches. I also unlocked characters, endings.. etc and finished many missions in mission mode, so deleting my save file, or playing on another profile is not something I want to do.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By chrissedoff

erasing your save doesn't work. but if you're on psn, just make a new profile

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TechHits
    @Legend:  I dont mean you should lose on purpose, but you made it sound like you weren't winning any matches. So getting down graded would be inevitable, would it not?
    Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Tylea002

The best way to have fun in a multiplayer game like this is to find someone you know and play with them. It's impractical and annoying, but it's the surest way to have fun. Otherwise, there's a heap of online problems that follow you around.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Legend
    @NoelVeiga:  I can deal with cheap players just fine without having to play cheap myself, but these matches tend to be more of a pain than something I enjoy and do for fun.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Legend
    @TechHits:  No, I'm still winning matches, but as I said, the fact that you're more likely to play against the same players over and over, and that most of them are cheap bastards makes the game no fun at all now.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJOR64

I'm 6th Lord right now.  If that is the cause, then I will consistently get raped when I hit 4th.  I guess that will be my sign to go back to SSFIV.

CanadianBaconX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By CanadianBaconX

@NoelVeiga:
    To address what you said about "weaker" melee characters not getting in... Use an assist that covers area (Doom has alot of assists that help with that) so that when your assist's attack is out and covering the screen you use it as a sort of shield so that you can make up ground.

As for the OP, just tough it out bro, if you want to be as good as the people you're facing since hitting 4th guard... You gotta play those people. Also where is the fun in having a 293829832 - 2 record if you're only beating retarded kids with one arm?

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Vade

Top online players have top online strategies. Rank means nothing.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Legend
    @Vade
    I agree. I fought some really good players at lower ranks. This is why I think limiting the players you can play against based on your rank is bullshit.
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nephrahim
    @Legend said:
    " @Vade
    I agree. I fought some really good players at lower ranks. This is why I think limiting the players you can play against based on your rank is bullshit. "
    ...  No, it's not.   If you want to play a random player,  just play a player match. 

I only recently started playing ranked games, and I'm on a 10 win spree right now.  Which I'm sure will end once I hit fighter or 9th lord or something, but yeah, there's a reason for the ranks. 

That said, what you say does make me scared of ranking up.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Oh... so that's why I couldn't find a match except for with the same 2 people right when I hit 4th Lord (actually 4th Ranger). That's bullshit. Not only can I only be matched with 4th Lords and up in Ranked Matches, but it has the same matchmaking criterion for Player Matches.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Well thats understandable, shame it has to do that. 
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By ImperiousRix

Damn, the matchmaking in this game is bad enough.  Luckily I'm only 7th Judge and getting my ass consistently kicked there, so I should be fine for a while...

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Legend

I just played against the same dude 9 times.. This is getting ridiculous.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nephrahim
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Oh... so that's why I couldn't find a match except for with the same 2 people right when I hit 4th Lord (actually 4th Ranger). That's bullshit. Not only can I only be matched with 4th Lords and up in Ranked Matches, but it has the same matchmaking criterion for Player Matches. "
    Are you sure?  Even if you set rank to "Any"?
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TechHits
    @Legend:  why don't you just go play in lobbies?
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @SamDrugbringer said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Oh... so that's why I couldn't find a match except for with the same 2 people right when I hit 4th Lord (actually 4th Ranger). That's bullshit. Not only can I only be matched with 4th Lords and up in Ranked Matches, but it has the same matchmaking criterion for Player Matches. "
    Are you sure?  Even if you set rank to "Any"? "
    Yes and yes.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Legend
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @SamDrugbringer said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    Are you sure?  Even if you set rank to "Any"? "
    Yes and yes. "
    I think you can still find player matches against players of lower ranks by searching for a lobby and setting the rank limit in the search options to "any".
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jasta

I reached 9th lord and I'm already out of my league, something like 12W - 63L. Needless to say I'm pretty bad at this game. =D

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Legend said:

" I think you can still find player matches against players of lower ranks by searching for a lobby and setting the rank limit in the search options to "any". "

What I'm saying is that even when I put the search options to "any", I can still only find people who are 4th Lord or higher. This is probably because the lower ranked players are searching with the option "same rank", so I can't join them.
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nephrahim
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Legend said:

" I think you can still find player matches against players of lower ranks by searching for a lobby and setting the rank limit in the search options to "any". "

What I'm saying is that even when I put the search options to "any", I can still only find people who are 4th Lord or higher. This is probably because the lower ranked players are searching with the option "same rank", so I can't join them. "
    Maybe.

I'm not 4th lord yet, but I did just 9th, and my first player match matched me with an amateur (An amateur who kicked my ass sideways, clearly someone who's just avoiding ranked matches), but still, I think it's possible.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @SamDrugbringer: Before 4th Lord, I was being matched with players from Amateur to same ranked players. I remember constantly facing Fighters when I was 7th Lord and thinking to myself that it was pretty unfair for them. It was just weird that right when I hit 4th Lord, I wasn't matched with anything but 4th Lords anymore. I haven't played in a week, though, so I'll see if things have changed a bit since then.
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TechHits
    @FluxWaveZ:  How many 1st or masters have you fought, Is it common thing or is it fairly rare?
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @TechHits: I don't believe I've fought someone with those ranks yet, so I'd think they're fairly rare. I think the highest I fought was something like a 2nd Lord.
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TechHits
    @FluxWaveZ:  interesting, thanks I was wondering because i know that there is a trophy associated with fighting some one who is a 1st class. 
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Legend
    @TechHits I think you get the trophy if you fight someone who surpassed 1st Lord (High Lord or Master Lord). There are currently only 7 people around the world who reached these ranks on the PS3 version. The number will increase in the coming weeks and getting the trophy will be much easier. Heck, I might get there myself if I keep doing so well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.