Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

Shoryukens article - the only problem with Mvc3 is you

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

http://shoryuken.com/content/only-problem-mvc3-you-3694/

Anyone else read this article.  He makes some good points, but I think its a unfair comparison to say that being easy characters in a fighting game is like doing cheap tactics in Starcraft or using a noob-tube in call of duty.  2 completely different things.  If a zerg rush fails your set back, and a noob-tube is just one dimensional, its just a grenade launcher and that's it.  In a fighting game if you find a character that's great on a basic level and considered "cheap" at a beginners level, guaranteed then that character is double as good at a tourny level since the effort to be good in the first place is small.  People pick those characters in the first place because they have obvious advantages over other characters.  The article also mentions that these characters are put in deliberately to make newer players feel like they are actually skilled so that they don't get discouraged.  I don't buy that either, why would you spend years making a great roster only to have more than half of your player base only using 6-7 characters over and over.  In SF4 people usually are Ken, Ryu, and Saget.  Why?  because their easy to play, but their balanced.  And you see those characters climbing Tourny brackets. I can live with people spamming beams and I'll learn to get around that, but I can't live with the idea that I'm forced to play certain characters if I want to have a better % at winning.

I don't consider mvc3 to be broken in any way since its difficult to balance such a fast paced and chaotic fighting game, but to say there's nothing wrong with it seems a bit off.  Its questionable if your playing a fighting game where someone can learn a combo that can kill a character at full health, and sometimes (especially in mvc2) even kill all your characters.  The author of the Shoryuken article just seems a bit misguided.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kjellm87

FACE IT

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

lol topic derailed.  I was wrong to think I could have a serious discussion about this haha.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@thehuntsmen5434 said:

"In a fighting game if you find a character that's great on a basic level and considered "cheap" at a beginners level, guaranteed then that character is double as good at a tourny level since the effort to be good in the first place is small."

Nonsense. 

Some characters have a low-entry level because of a low execution barrier, or what have you. Not all of them survive at higher levels of play. 

Balrog, for example, is effective at a lower level of play in SF because he has strong, basic tools. At a higher level, those who stick with him need to work harder because he still only relies on the same same style that was advantageous against poorer opponents; higher-skilled opposition know his game-plan going in.

Makoto on the other hand...
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By borodin

Well I read it, but I'm not sure what my opinion is worth given I don't own MvC and I've never been brave enough to play ssfIV online...BUT, he does sound a little...deep, into the genre already. He mentions that there are 'entry level' strategies that are deliberately effective to allow new players to be fairly competitive, but he then seems to change tack and say, but if you're good enough you should be finding ways round this. What about other entry level players? If they start playing and get reamed by a guy playing sentinel over and over, then they're the ones who are really suffering, not the guys who are good enough to counter that stuff. 

It just reads like a guy writing a very long winded version of l2p and completely missing the point, again, my opinion on fighting games is near worthless.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Kjellm87

Ha ha, sorry.
    I kinda jumped around the text, it was kinda long, but I mostly agree.
     This is a game that needs alot of practice to master.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By lordofultima

Don't agree, sir. By your logic then, full-screen fireball spam would reign supreme in high level play in Street Fighter or Marvel, which we know isn't the case.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thehuntsmen5434
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @thehuntsmen5434 said:

"In a fighting game if you find a character that's great on a basic level and considered "cheap" at a beginners level, guaranteed then that character is double as good at a tourny level since the effort to be good in the first place is small."

Nonsense.  Some characters have a low-entry level because of a low execution barrier, or what have you. Not all of them survive at higher levels of play.  Balrog, for example, is effective at a lower level of play in SF because he has strong, basic tools. At a higher level, those who stick with him need to work harder because he still only relies on the same same style that was advantageous against poorer opponents; higher-skilled opposition know his game-plan going in. Makoto on the other hand... "
    I never considered Balrog good for beginners, his style seems patient with mix-ups.  Beginner players just tend to jump in and do what feels right.  Regardless its opinionated, but in terms of the VS games characters are more clear cut.  I would never be hagger up against a Sentinel, or any heavy projectile person for that matter.  He has almost nothing to get in close.
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By damodar

I pretty much agree entirely with the article.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thehuntsmen5434
    @lordofultima said:
    " Don't agree, sir. By your logic then, full-screen fireball spam would reign supreme in high level play in Street Fighter or Marvel, which we know isn't the case. "
    I'm not talking about fireball spam, or beam spam.  Just characters in general that have an advantage over others.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehuntsmen5434: With cr.fierce and cr.roundhouse, a scrubby Balrog can fare pretty well against beginners. 

As for Haggar, super-jumping into early j.h beats sentinel's beam outright.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think people just need to stop complaining about certain characters being "better" than other ones. If all the characters were equally good, then what would be the point of having different characters in the first place? 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

Well the idea of an MvC game being balanced is kinda silly. The point of the game is to have a crazy roster of characters, some might be easier than others, but it makes you feel good that you just beat some dude's cheap-ass team with a bunch of joke characters. Unless this was dramatically changed over MvC2, I haven't played 3 yet really. 

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By damodar
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " If all the characters were equally good, then what would be the point of having different characters in the first place?  "

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. There's no point having different characters that play differently if they are all basically equally capable of winning?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " I think people just need to stop complaining about certain characters being "better" than other ones. If all the characters were equally good, then what would be the point of having different characters in the first place?  "
    There's a difference between "these characters are completely different" versus "these characters are so vastly underpowered that they have almost no chance against any other character played with a modicum of skill."  Sure, sometimes this is intentional (see: Dan Hibiki), but poor balance can lower wider interest in a fighting game.  I don't really find it fun or interesting when I watch tournament footage and realize that the majority of the players are all using the same damn characters.  It's what put me off of MvC2 back in the day; the people that played it religiously in the university's game center would always play the same teams against each other with absolutely no variety.  If you have a roster in excess of 50+ characters and everyone is just using three or four on a regular basis, something is fucked up.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Undeadpool
    @thehuntsmen5434: I've actually gotten back into SSFIV and the number of Shotos playing ranked games has dropped off PRECARIOUSLY and it'll probably happen in MVC3 as well for the same reason: The more people play as certain characters online, the better everyone gets at fighting them. Within two weeks of going online in SSFIV, I beat 75% of the shotos I came up against because only around 25% of them were actually doing well. The others were just Shoto-by-Numbers. It might take longer with MVC3 because of the variations in teams, but eventually people will turn away from "easy" characters because everyone will have the most experience fighting them.
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thehuntsmen5434
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @thehuntsmen5434: I've actually gotten back into SSFIV and the number of Shotos playing ranked games has dropped off PRECARIOUSLY and it'll probably happen in MVC3 as well for the same reason: The more people play as certain characters online, the better everyone gets at fighting them. Within two weeks of going online in SSFIV, I beat 75% of the shotos I came up against because only around 25% of them were actually doing well. The others were just Shoto-by-Numbers. It might take longer with MVC3 because of the variations in teams, but eventually people will turn away from "easy" characters because everyone will have the most experience fighting them. "
    that's a good point, the more people play against them the easier they will be to fight.  in SSFIV eventually I could beat every Ken person because it was obvious what they were going to do.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By dbz1995

People, Marvel vs Capcom 3 is so bad that people should get paid to get that game. People need to stop playing that game and get back to Super Street Fighter IV

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JokerFrown

MvC3 is the sex.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Hailinel said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    " I think people just need to stop complaining about certain characters being "better" than other ones. If all the characters were equally good, then what would be the point of having different characters in the first place?  "
    There's a difference between "these characters are completely different" versus "these characters are so vastly underpowered that they have almost no chance against any other character played with a modicum of skill."  Sure, sometimes this is intentional (see: Dan Hibiki), but poor balance can lower wider interest in a fighting game.  I don't really find it fun or interesting when I watch tournament footage and realize that the majority of the players are all using the same damn characters.  It's what put me off of MvC2 back in the day; the people that played it religiously in the university's game center would always play the same teams against each other with absolutely no variety.  If you have a roster in excess of 50+ characters and everyone is just using three or four on a regular basis, something is fucked up. "
    Thissssssssssssss. That's why I stopped going to my university's game center. I would end up watching almost the exact same match I saw the previous time.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BBQBram

I am a complete Capcom fighter noob, and am having a ton of fun learning this game. I'm also trying to avoid spammy or cheap victories since they won't be any help to me in the long run. I guess it's a good thing for casuals playing local only but I can tell you that relying completely on one-trick-pony tactics will be frustrating when you're good enough to win some, but not good enough to figure out what went wrong when you lost.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Sometimes when I hear Vinny talk about his intense fear of multiplayer games, I cringe and feel bad that he's missing out on some pretty cool game experiences.  There are some mental rewards and stimulants that require human opponents, and you're missing out if you don't give it a shot.

And then I read an article like that and have no ethical ability to suggest anyone subject themselves to the snotty attitudes of other people.  How can anyone expect a person to try a game if it requires the kind of degradation that article offers?  Why would anyone care to learn if they're going to be called stupid, dim-witted and moronic for hours upon hours?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @thehuntsmen5434 said:

"  http://shoryuken.com/content/only-problem-mvc3-you-3694/  Anyone else read this article.  He makes some good points, but I think its a unfair comparison to say that being easy characters in a fighting game is like doing cheap tactics in Starcraft or using a noob-tube in call of duty.  2 completely different things.  If a zerg rush fails your set back, and a noob-tube is just one dimensional, its just a grenade launcher and that's it.  In a fighting game if you find a character that's great on a basic level and considered "cheap" at a beginners level, guaranteed then that character is double as good at a tourny level since the effort to be good in the first place is small.  People pick those characters in the first place because they have obvious advantages over other characters.  The article also mentions that these characters are put in deliberately to make newer players feel like they are actually skilled so that they don't get discouraged.  I don't buy that either, why would you spend years making a great roster only to have more than half of your player base only using 6-7 characters over and over.  In SF4 people usually are Ken, Ryu, and Saget.  Why?  because their easy to play, but their balanced.  And you see those characters climbing Tourny brackets. I can live with people spamming beams and I'll learn to get around that, but I can't live with the idea that I'm forced to play certain characters if I want to have a better % at winning. I don't consider mvc3 to be broken in any way since its difficult to balance such a fast paced and chaotic fighting game, but to say there's nothing wrong with it seems a bit off.  Its questionable if your playing a fighting game where someone can learn a combo that can kill a character at full health, and sometimes (especially in mvc2) even kill all your characters.  The author of the Shoryuken article just seems a bit misguided. "

I don't think you read the article I was reading. Also a character's ease of play is not directly proportional to his/her strength at tournament level. That's a ridiculous statement to make.
    CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By CastroCasper

I don't know man, it looks pretty.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By hansolol
    @Brodehouse said:
    " Sometimes when I hear Vinny talk about his intense fear of multiplayer games, I cringe and feel bad that he's missing out on some pretty cool game experiences.  There are some mental rewards and stimulants that require human opponents, and you're missing out if you don't give it a shot.  And then I read an article like that and have no ethical ability to suggest anyone subject themselves to the snotty attitudes of other people.  How can anyone expect a person to try a game if it requires the kind of degradation that article offers?  Why would anyone care to learn if they're going to be called stupid, dim-witted and moronic for hours upon hours? "
    The difference, is that if Vinny were to pick up fighters, he'd be in no position to claim whether he thought something was broken or not considering how new to the game he would be.  Thus, this article would have nothing to do with him.

The article is directed at those that think they know more than they really do.  The ones that think they are qualified to decide whether a character is over powered 2 hours after the game launches.
    mabans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mabans
    @thehuntsmen5434: The point of the article is don't just say "It's BROKEN!" The game hasn't even been out for 2 weeks and people haven't explored the get arounds, strategies, etc that come with ANY fighting game. It's just "Damn Sent does tons of DMG, Oh No Xfactor, I'm dead now. THIS SUCKS! THIS GAME SUCKS!" Think of the logic of the average gamer. They want fantasy with a sense of realism. OK Here's a GIANT ROBOT that HUNTS MUTANTS. There's the fantasy.. Then all of a sudden they are surprised when it hits like a TRUCK!  There's the realism. O.o MvC2 had infinite loops, that were used in tournament so they were practical to learn and use. I don't remember the person's name but there was a tournament player playing MvC2 with a moded controller than allowed him to do 1 button triangle jumps AND IT WAS ALLOWED! No one complained, some people thought it was cheap but they worked around it. This was some tournament in Ohio (remember where Tokido posed in front of the projector).

I didn't play ANY online matches till last night and as expected there were a lot of people using Sentinal, for example, because of his ease of use. My team so far has been Spencer, Spider-man and Dormamu. Because of the stuff I've learned watching videos, playing with my buddy every day who is also learning. Granted it's online and we all know the weight that it holds but they were free. Last night I hosted my 1st Fight night as well and tons of people used Sent, I only won 1 match but I beat almost just about every Sentinel that was used, not won that match but was able to deal with people like Sent, Arthur, Dormammu, MODOK where people are inclined to just zone you out, and try to chip you out. Just because the game doesn't act like a previous iteration doesn't make it bad, it makes it a DIFFERENT game. If the game is truly OPed and broken then guess what, no one will play it outside from those few who like weird fighting games like Jackie Chan.. The game hasn't even been scratched yet, so anyone who says that it's broken are the same who said that Sagat, E.Honda, Yun, Yang are TOO OP. Sit back, learn and deal.. Otherwise you're gonna get frustrated with ANY game that doesn't give you the instant gratification that you want.

This is definitely something I see as generational thing. Fighting games are back on the scene in a big big way but with most of the games out now having "team play", which is great, getting your ass handed to you in a fighting is a different feeling than losing in, let say, call of duty. You can be the suckiest person on a good team and still win with little to no partcipation of you if you felt like it. In a fighting game, you lose it's because you fucked up.. Period.. Can't blame a buddy for not warning you, or not covering your back, etc. It was just you... That's the point. The only way any fighting game can TRULY ever be balanced is if it had 1 character.. Same moves, same health, same everything. There's your balance..   The dude is far from misguided, problem most people know it's true and don't want to deal with it. Sorry kids, Practice makes for perfects..
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#27  Edited By sammo21

All vs games boil down to using some combo of the same 6 characters....MvC3 is really no different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:
    " All vs games boil down to using some combo of the same 6 characters....MvC3 is really no different. "
    What I'm surprised is that most fighting companies don't make slight balance patches nearly monthly to try to work it out over time.  As much as I don't want to play Starcraft, I appreciate that Blizzard does so much testing and tweaking to get the game working so anyone can beat anyone.  With a fighter you have much more factions to balance, but much smaller chunks to change.  I would enjoy if the metagame was constantly changing, where the latest patch cuts a god tier character's priority ever so slightly and buffs some of the bottom tier with better damage potential, but that seems to be more of a yearly thing that you have to pay 40 bucks for.  Maybe that's a Japanese-v-Western thing, considering how little the Japanese understand online, and how difficult it would be to patch a bunch of arcade machines around Tokyo.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @sammo21 said:
    " All vs games boil down to using some combo of the same 6 characters....MvC3 is really no different. "
    What I'm surprised is that most fighting companies don't make slight balance patches nearly monthly to try to work it out over time.  As much as I don't want to play Starcraft, I appreciate that Blizzard does so much testing and tweaking to get the game working so anyone can beat anyone.  With a fighter you have much more factions to balance, but much smaller chunks to change.  I would enjoy if the metagame was constantly changing, where the latest patch cuts a god tier character's priority ever so slightly and buffs some of the bottom tier with better damage potential, but that seems to be more of a yearly thing that you have to pay 40 bucks for.  Maybe that's a Japanese-v-Western thing, considering how little the Japanese understand online, and how difficult it would be to patch a bunch of arcade machines around Tokyo. "
    Its totally not even about that. I mean take Fei Long from SF4 to the current AE edition. In the beginning, he was reguarded as a throwaway weak character and now he's like god tier according to a poll of top Japanese players. Just from looking at the change log, the changes were very subtle. Just some frame differences here and there, nothing drastic like pump up his damage 20%.  

In starcraft, everybody plays one of the three races, so the chance of players finding exploits/really good tactics, is a lot easier then a game where you have 30+ characters, and the popular ones/easy to pick up is what the majority plays, there just isn't enough people to look and discover the others. So no gameplay patch would be required since the less popular characters aren't necessarily worse, they are just less popular. 

As the game evolves and core audience gets bored of the same characters/or have found out how to beat all the easy to pick up characters (*coughs, Sentinal!!!!), the rest of the cast would be used. At least thats how the majority of the fighting game community sees it. And yes it doesn't always work out since fighting games like King of Fighters and TVC which had been released in the past two years have just died to the Darwinism of better fighting games out there.  

Personally, a game can be a bit too constantly patched, so much that I wouldn't want to try to find the best tactics since all my work in finding it would be wiped out in the next patch. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @Brodehouse said:
    " @sammo21 said:
    What I'm surprised is that most fighting companies don't make slight balance patches nearly monthly to try to work it out over time.  As much as I don't want to play Starcraft, I appreciate that Blizzard does so much testing and tweaking to get the game working so anyone can beat anyone.  With a fighter you have much more factions to balance, but much smaller chunks to change.  I would enjoy if the metagame was constantly changing, where the latest patch cuts a god tier character's priority ever so slightly and buffs some of the bottom tier with better damage potential, but that seems to be more of a yearly thing that you have to pay 40 bucks for.  Maybe that's a Japanese-v-Western thing, considering how little the Japanese understand online, and how difficult it would be to patch a bunch of arcade machines around Tokyo. "
    Its totally not even about that. I mean take Fei Long from SF4 to the current AE edition. In the beginning, he was reguarded as a throwaway weak character and now he's like god tier according to a poll of top Japanese players. Just from looking at the change log, the changes were very subtle. Just some frame differences here and there, nothing drastic like pump up his damage 20%.   In starcraft, everybody plays one of the three races, so the chance of players finding exploits/really good tactics, is a lot easier then a game where you have 30+ characters, and the popular ones/easy to pick up is what the majority plays, there just isn't enough people to look and discover the others. So no gameplay patch would be required since the less popular characters aren't necessarily worse, they are just less popular.   As the game evolves and core audience gets bored of the same characters/or have found out how to beat all the easy to pick up characters (*coughs, Sentinal!!!!), the rest of the cast would be used. At least thats how the majority of the fighting game community sees it. And yes it doesn't always work out since fighting games like King of Fighters and TVC which had been released in the past two years have just died to the Darwinism of better fighting games out there.   Personally, a game can be a bit too constantly patched, so much that I wouldn't want to try to find the best tactics since all my work in finding it would be wiped out in the next patch.  "
    This this this. Also BB has received multiple patches and hasn't even been out for 7 months yet, but those guys are kinda insane anyways (and MAD Japanese).

MvC3 has only been out for... 11 days? No character has proven themselves to be brokenly good or brokenly bad yet. WTF is up with this endless deluge of nerd tears?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StarvingGamer said:

" @StaticFalconar said:

" @Brodehouse said:
    " @sammo21 said:
    Its totally not even about that. I mean take Fei Long from SF4 to the current AE edition. In the beginning, he was reguarded as a throwaway weak character and now he's like god tier according to a poll of top Japanese players. Just from looking at the change log, the changes were very subtle. Just some frame differences here and there, nothing drastic like pump up his damage 20%.   In starcraft, everybody plays one of the three races, so the chance of players finding exploits/really good tactics, is a lot easier then a game where you have 30+ characters, and the popular ones/easy to pick up is what the majority plays, there just isn't enough people to look and discover the others. So no gameplay patch would be required since the less popular characters aren't necessarily worse, they are just less popular.   As the game evolves and core audience gets bored of the same characters/or have found out how to beat all the easy to pick up characters (*coughs, Sentinal!!!!), the rest of the cast would be used. At least thats how the majority of the fighting game community sees it. And yes it doesn't always work out since fighting games like King of Fighters and TVC which had been released in the past two years have just died to the Darwinism of better fighting games out there.   Personally, a game can be a bit too constantly patched, so much that I wouldn't want to try to find the best tactics since all my work in finding it would be wiped out in the next patch.  "
    This this this. Also BB has received multiple patches and hasn't even been out for 7 months yet, but those guys are kinda insane anyways (and MAD Japanese).  MvC3 has only been out for... 11 days? No character has proven themselves to be brokenly good or brokenly bad yet. WTF is up with this endless deluge of nerd tears? "
    Dude... calm down.  No one's getting upset here.  And has BlazBlue CS been patched, with actual balance changes or just bug fixes and DLC loadups?  I played CT for about a month when it came out, and then came back to it for a month before CS came out, and I found it almost exactly the same.  Icecar and tornadoing ragnas were still around.  Although I saw a lot less Icecar later, more Noel.  It seemed like all the significant balance changes were in CS, not applied to the original.  Because as a Litchi player, I went from below average to above average as soon as I bought the new game.

It would be nice if they had a Blizzard style patch change list.  Like how Zealots cooldown gets changed from 33 to 38, I'd love to just peruse those notes.  Doom's Hidden Missiles changed here, Arthur changed there, that would be cool.  Maybe they already do it.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Brodehouse: What part of what I wrote made it seem like I was yelling or getting upset in anyway? Just reread what I wrote in a calm manner like as if you asked someone you met playing MVC3 smoking a bowl. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StaticFalconar: Probably the 'nerd tears' part.  No one's shedding tears.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Brodehouse: The nerd tears was me, and I've seen plenty of them shed over imba Sentinel, imba Dante, imba X-Factor, and imba Projectile Spamming. Also dude suggesting that MvC3 is as imba as MvC2 sounds like someone QQ'ing to me.

But yeah, extensive balance changes were made to numerous attacks and mechanics for each character. Since BB:CS isn't nearly as popular in America, the patch notes are generally only released in Japanese. You'd have to visit dedicated community sites to find out the specifics.

Blizzard is balancing 3 races with ~15 units and ~15 buildings each. Capcom would be balancing 36 characters with ~25 to ~49 distinct moves each in 1296 different distinctly ordered teams or 1679616 total possible matchups (not including all possible assist choices). Of course this EXTREMELY apples and oranges, but it's a lot harder to predict the repercussions that a minor tweak might have in a game like MvC3. Starcraft is, by and large, a game of seconds. Generally speaking a second lost here or gained there isn't going to win or lose the battle for you. MvC3, however, is a game of frames, and something as simple as adding a single startup frame can drastically alter a character's playstyle and damage potential.

I'm not saying Capcom shouldn't try to patch MvC3 if something turns out to be truly broken, I'm just saying that asking for something akin to what Blizzard does seems unreasonable and if pushed through at the same rate, could easily cause significantly more damage than good.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By demontium

I guarantee, give it a month and all the pros won't be using sentinel with lvl3 xfactor. It's gonna be good. 

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Sooty

Sentinel isn't going anywhere, he has one of the, if not the best assists in the game. 

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AURON570

"MvC3 has a problem with me D'=" (that was my initial reaction).

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

Nah. Capcom doesn't have to put in cheap characters or broken characters. They're either choosing to do that which is stupid or they're accidentally doing it which means fix it.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Some characters feel obviously unbalanced towards certain characters, but overall its difficult to say because you can choose from 3 characters and use assists.  So even if you feel Sentinel is unfair you have 2 other characters to swap out with.  How could you possibly balance a game where 3 characters are equal to their other 3 opponents.  But getting 1 of those 3 characters to be balanced with 1 of the other 3 characters could be possible to some degree, taken into account each players skill levels.  Its the obvious stuff that doesn't feel right like level 3 X factor doing so much chip damage.  Or when you play someone like Thor who does a ton of damage and has life life, but is slow as hell.  Then you go play Sentinel, and he has the highest life in the game and almost the same damage output as thor, but with more reach, better projectiles, better zoning.  You could just practice against him over and over, but it would help a little because people have different styles of play and a random match of Sentinel could be zoning, a rush-down, or something completely unique.  Ive played tons of Dante's and all of them seem to play differently, I know he has a teleport, but if my opponent isn't abusing it then I have to change up my defense and offense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.