Should I get an arcade stick?

#1 Posted by stoodspoon (538 posts) -

Should I?

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9737 posts) -

Kinda depends on whether you like using a fight stick, or plan on seriously playing online. Those things can get expensive, and they're really only worth it if you seriously want to invest the time to really learn the game and whatnot.  

I, on the other hand, am not going to get one because I'm cheap, and I'd rather just use a regular controller because that's how I play all games.

#3 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@stoodspoon: How should we know? At least tell us what are your intentions with this game?
#4 Posted by stoodspoon (538 posts) -

Well I want to play online and I don't want to lose all the time

#5 Posted by mwng (891 posts) -

Not everyone online will be using a stick. Losing all the time will happen if you're new to fighting games, but it's how you learn to get better, it's more of a practise thing than a controller thing.

#6 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

Play the game first. Get a feel for it. If you want to stick with it, get a stick. I waited over a year before getting a stick for BlazBlue. There are also cheaper ones, like a Tekken stick, that should be $60-ish that'll work fine unless you really wanna go all out.

#7 Posted by Pessh (2451 posts) -
@stoodspoon: You're going to lose all the time regardless of what you use.

Sticks do not make you good, sticks are what the majority of top players grew up playing on. Ask them and they'll tell you pads are actually faster, if you can use them.
#8 Posted by nabokovfan87 (202 posts) -
@Pessh said:
" @stoodspoon: You're going to lose all the time regardless of what you use.  Sticks do not make you good, sticks are what the majority of top players grew up playing on. Ask them and they'll tell you pads are actually faster, if you can use them. "
I would argue this is 100% bull.  Arcade games, fighters, and all of those were made with sticks and such in mind.  So, the timings of the moves and so forth are all meant for a stick rather then a d-pad or anything like that. 

Of course it will work with a controller, but you ask any person who grew up playing in arcades, playing these games, they will say it is unplayable with a pad.  Vice versa, ask someone who grew up playing on a pad, on a console, and they can't friggin' figure out how the stick is better or why people even use one. 

So, OP, if you grew up playing on a stick, then get that, if you grew up playing some port on a console then you would probably already be used to a pad.  The issue is the whole 3 buttons for kick/punch, which you might be used to using the shoulders as the third button.  Anyways, the long and short of it is this, just like a flight game, if you want to actually play the game people will tell you to get the serious equipment and play it "the right way".   

Nowadays a fight stick is 100 dollars, not 250, and it is going to be much more of an enjoyable experience even if you are getting your as whooped (just because of the sounds of the buttons alone add so much), but I would argue, if you grew up on a pad then it doesn't matter.  As someone who grew up in arcades, I cannot seriously tell anyone to play with a controller, they just suck for these games and the stick can be used in other games like all of the side scrolling shooters, the arcade ports, much more then just MvC3.
#9 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I would. You can get the first round of SFIV TE sticks for real cheap now...if you can find them that is. 

It's a lot of fun to use one and it will be good for many games to come. I also have my SFIV TE dual modded and I don't plan on changing it anytime soon, if something breaks I can easily and cheaply swap out the broken part for a new one, no soldering required.  

It's brilliant!

#10 Posted by Pessh (2451 posts) -
@nabokovfan87: You're right. Pads are rubbish. There wasn't two pad players in the top eight at evo. I made that up, Gootecks and Mike Ross think pads are rubbish, not faster.

Oh wait...
#11 Posted by 1nfinitum (200 posts) -

If you're crazy and want to compete, go for it.  I know I got a stick for myself and ended up hardly using it ever; but if you got the money man it's your decision.

#12 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -
@Ygg said:
" I would. You can get the first round of SFIV TE sticks for real cheap now...if you can find them that is.  It's a lot of fun to use one and it will be good for many games to come. I also have my SFIV TE dual modded and I don't plan on changing it anytime soon, if something breaks I can easily and cheaply swap out the broken part for a new one, no soldering required.   It's brilliant! "
To contribute, you might find good deals on Shoryuken's trading outlet.
#13 Posted by nabokovfan87 (202 posts) -
@Pessh said:
" @nabokovfan87: You're right. Pads are rubbish. There wasn't two pad players in the top eight at evo. I made that up, Gootecks and Mike Ross think pads are rubbish, not faster.  Oh wait... "
First, I said "if you grew up on a pad then you will play with a pad and think sticks suck, and vice versa."  Second, I never said anything 100 percent one way, I said since I grew up in arcades and grew up playing things one way I wouldn't ever tell anyone to do it the other. 

How about instead of being a punk you actually read the whole thing. 

I am sure people at evo get there using whatever, but that is because they spends years playing the game, not because of what they use.
#14 Posted by Pessh (2451 posts) -
@nabokovfan87: I did. Was just retorting to your ignorant bs.
#15 Posted by nabokovfan87 (202 posts) -

How does a retort actually non contain anything useful to the conversation at hand, and only end up with a mental image of a 10 year old girl whining that she didn't get her way.   

On topic, OP, get one, you can use it in many many other games, you can find one for much cheaper then you could have gotten before, and the TE fightsticks are very easily customizable with features to make them more easily modifiable then any other stick.

#16 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

it come down to what you feel comfortable with.   

i grew up playing these types of games in arcades and can't play them with out a stick for the most part. if you are going to invest time into this game then i would say yes

#17 Posted by TooWalrus (12972 posts) -

It all depends man. I played a ton of street fighter on a FightPad, then after a few months, I spent the money on an arcade stick. I understand it takes a lot of getting used to, but I just felt like the arcade stick was slower than the fightpad, it took me too long to pull off my moves, and I was doing much worse. The city turned our local arcade into a Barns & Nobel when I was a kid, so I grew up with controllers, and that's what I prefer.

#18 Edited by Pessh (2451 posts) -

Forget it, listen to these kids who havn't played the game, buy a stick. Some of them don't even own sticks themselves so not sure why they're telling you to get one.

#19 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

the answer is YES MvC is unplayable with a controller

#20 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -

yes...yes you should
#21 Posted by StarvingGamer (7558 posts) -

Certain things are easier on pad, certain things are easier on a stick.  It all comes down to personal preference.  I grew up on pad and only picked up a stick when SFIV came out.  As of right now I can hit button combinations with more accuracy on my stick and have an easier time inputting fast repeated joystick directions for dashes.  However, I find that I can perform motions for special moves and hit the cardinal directions easier on my pad.

Because of this, I find that I prefer to play 3D fighters like Tekken and Soul Calibur on pad.  Also since SSFIIHDR doesn't require double tapping for dashes or any button combinations, I prefer pad for it as well.  However for games like SSFIV and MvC2 where dashing and rapid fire button pressing for link/chain combos is crucial, I'd much rather be on my stick.  I'll definitely be using stick for when MvC3 comes out as the few times I've been able to play it, the stick they provided me with couldn't have felt more natural.

But Pessh is right, in the end though it comes down to the player.  Wolfkrone is a goddam brutal C.Viper on pad and she is one of the most taxing SSFIV characters in terms of execution.  I'd be lying if I claimed to be anything more than rubbish with her.  If possible I'd try to see if you have a friend with a stick you can borrow and maybe run around in SSFIV with it for the next two weeks before MvC3 comes out in challenge mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.