Should they really be in the game?

• 0 results
#1 Posted by MaGnUmKiLLa (46 posts) -

I think that's something a lot of you should be asking yourself. Some characters from the Marvel and Capcom universes just do not belong in a fighting game. For instance, what the hell would Phoenix Wright do? Have you actually stopped and thought about that? I know most people say that as a joke but, these are the kind of jokes that lead to us getting characters such as Tron Bonne. I also don't really think we need multiple characters from the same franchise. Do we really need Dante and Trish? Do we really need 10 different X-Men? If we have Ryu, isn't that enough shoto's from SF?  I'm not saying don't have maybe 2 from the same game, just balance it out. I think we can live with Chris and Wesker since they're the good and the bad from that series. It probably would have been a bad move to go with two good guys, like if you had included Jill or Barry instead *although, who doesn't want to see Barry in every game possible* Comics are of course sort of except from that rule since there tend to be so many in the same group. I'm not going to say don't have multiple X-men or over 2 Avengers but, still, try to keep some balance. We probably don't need every X-Men ever and we could probably leave Ant-Man out of this.

The roster from this game is admittedly going to be much smaller then 2's, so we really don't want to waste a bunch of slots. Instead of using a bunch of no-name characters, maybe we should stick to some well knowns. We've all got some unknown people we'd like to see but, for the sake of the masses, let's stick to characters that pretty much all of us have heard of.  Maybe that guy from God Hand would work well in the game but, how many people have actually played that game and know who he is? You could go with Hobgoblin but, wouldn't Green Goblin make more sense? In that sense, Maybe Dorammu wasn't the greatest pick for the bad guy. We probably could have gone with someone a little better known such as Ultron or Modok. We should apply this same rule when we're deciding on which version of a character to use as well. Sure, some people like the volgnutt version of Megaman but, isn't the X version much more popular? If they do end up adding Frank West, wouldn't it have made a bit more sense to go with Chuck Greene since he's in the more recent game? Another idea, if ever possible, couldn't we just have them be alt outfits? Instead of just straight up cloning characters, you could just make them outfit B. Chuck Greene/Frank West, Iron Man/ War Machine, X/Volgnutt Megaman just to name a few.

Capcom is one of the few companies that actually listen to their fans and, as fans, we tend to give them some pretty dumb answers. I know most of you throw character names out there as a joke but, if enough people say the same thing and then don't specify that they're joking, how is Capcom suppose to know? All I'm saying, stop and consider if said character really needs to be in a fighting game. It's a lot like when people suggest Rock Band songs. Yeah, maybe you do love Sinead O' Conner but, does she really belong in Rock Band? It's just some food for thought guys. Hopefully MVC3 will be the best but, if we keep throwing out senseless picks, you can almost guarantee it won't be.

#2 Posted by Colt (110 posts) -

NO FUN ALLOWED!

#3 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

You're the first person I've seen on any forum complain about MvC3's lineup.

#4 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19342 posts) -

I agree with the possibility of Phoenix Wright being included in this game an utterly absurd one, but you're crazy. 

And Capcom can also think for themselves, you know.  Many fans asked for Phoenix Wright to be in, but Capcom's smart and they know that he wouldn't work.  Maybe they thought about how he could function in the game, but they came to the conclusion he can't. 

And you complain that too many of the "same character" is a bad thing, but 2 DMC characters is a bad thing?  I want there to be at least 2 representatives for popular franchises in the game.  There's only one "shoto" and that's Ryu.  Ken/Akuma/whatever won't be added in.  And then you say that 2 Resident Evil characters is fine simply because you like Wesker.  Double standard. 

Capcom as a team > your opinions on what a good roster would be,

#5 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

You write as though the inclusion of Tron Bonne is a bad thing.  You know what I say?

SERVBOTS FOR EVERYONE!

#6 Edited by odintal (1095 posts) -

Honestly I think they should put in more lesser known characters. 

If you're capcom or marvel you have to know that you're not going to generate new fans with an MVC game. It's fanservice to begin with. Why not mix it up and add a few cool, yet lesser known characters? You'll get more exposure just by omitting characters we see all the damn time and possibly boost interest in the lesser known ones within your already established fan base. 

#7 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

The more ridiculous the better.

#8 Posted by Hunkulese (2725 posts) -
@MaGnUmKiLLa: You don't really understand the entire spirit of the game. It's intended to be wacky and over the top. Adding characters that you wouldn't normally associate with fighting games add to the fun. There are more than enough actual fighting game character options to keep you happy if you don't want a wacky game.
#9 Posted by Humanoid (206 posts) -
@Afroman269:  

Albert Wesker: And with this the Uroboros will be sp-- 
Pheonix Wright: OBJECTIONS!! 

Albert Wesker vs Pheonix Wright 

FIGHT! 

I'll have you all know, I came a little. 
#10 Posted by inknail (155 posts) -
@Hailinel: Voting to bring back Servbot!

Seriously, the more characters that are involved (and the more outlandish they are imo), the more potential for great wanky fun. That's what I love so much about the previous titles, and that's what I hope we will continue to see.
#11 Posted by MaGnUmKiLLa (46 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" I agree with the possibility of Phoenix Wright being included in this game an utterly absurd one, but you're crazy.  And Capcom can also think for themselves, you know.  Many fans asked for Phoenix Wright to be in, but Capcom's smart and they know that he wouldn't work.  Maybe they thought about how he could function in the game, but they came to the conclusion he can't.  And you complain that too many of the "same character" is a bad thing, but 2 DMC characters is a bad thing?  I want there to be at least 2 representatives for popular franchises in the game.  There's only one "shoto" and that's Ryu.  Ken/Akuma/whatever won't be added in.  And then you say that 2 Resident Evil characters is fine simply because you like Wesker.  Double standard.  Capcom as a team > your opinions on what a good roster would be, "
There's a couple of things wrong here. I never said I wanted 2 RE characters just because I like Wesker. I'm pretty sure I never even said I liked Wesker. I just said that I thought it was a good balance because one of them is the main bad guy and one of them is the main good guy and they're both very popular characters. I don't want 2 DMC characters because frankly, it's just not necessary. Trish is not that popular of a characer. Hell, I'm pretty sure she's only in one of the games. DMC doesn't have that many characters to begin with so, I think we really could have done with just Dante. It'd be the same thing if they put Nathan Spencer in the game. Would you really need another Bionic Commando character? Do we really have to have Super Joe? You don't know that there's only going to be one shoto character. Real quick, don't put shoto in paranthesis like I didn't know what I was talking about, thank you. Look at MVC2. How many shoto's were in that game? You had Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dan, Sakura. We don't know the entire MVC3 line-up yet so there's a good chance atleast one more will get added.  My opinions > the misguided garbage you're spewing 

You say I'm missing the point in the game but, have you seen people that play this game? Yeah, I think we all very early on have a wacky, fun time with all the different characters but, after like two weeks, this game gets serious as hell. That's when all the "wacky" characters get thrown to the side in favor of fan favorites and worhtwhile characters. That's great that you love Servebot and Tron Bonne but, no one ever competitively plays with them because they're jokes and I don't want to see spaces wasted on joke characters. There's far too many serious characters that could work very well in this game to be wasting slots on stupid shit.
#12 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

If you don't like the lineup you can always play MvC2. I'm sure that's right up your alley.

#13 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

Tron Bonne is a joke character?! Tron Bonne is one of my favorite characters from MvC 2.

#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19342 posts) -
@MaGnUmKiLLa: First off, I put "shoto" in quotation marks because it isn't a real word, not to berate you or anything.  Second off, you make it seem as if each character included equals one less potential one.  They wouldn't have included another character if they didn't include Trish because they didn't.  The development team probably considered every possibility of a character that they could include and trimmed it down that way.  There are several reasons why characters can or can't be included (animation, legal aspects, relevance, popularity, moveset, history...).  They don't just pick characters blindly and work with the ones they chose initially. 

" You say I'm missing the point in the game but, have you seen people that play this game? Yeah, I think we all very early on have a wacky, fun time with all the different characters but, after like two weeks, this game gets serious as hell. That's when all the "wacky" characters get thrown to the side in favor of fan favorites and worhtwhile characters. That's great that you love Servebot and Tron Bonne but, no one ever competitively plays with them because they're jokes and I don't want to see spaces wasted on joke characters. There's far too many serious characters that could work very well in this game to be wasting slots on stupid shit. "
That's totally, completely off the mark.  Players who get serious with the game don't necessarily pick their favorite characters while ignoring the "wacky" ones.  The only reason the bizarre characters in MvC2 didn't get played with was because they were way underpowered compared to the rest of the cast.  The only thing determining the use of a character in serious/tournament is balance.  Capcom has already said that in addition to trimming the roster down from MvC2 they'll do their best to make every character balanced.  That's all the matters in serious play.
#15 Posted by Colt (110 posts) -
@MaGnUmKiLLa said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" I agree with the possibility of Phoenix Wright being included in this game an utterly absurd one, but you're crazy.  And Capcom can also think for themselves, you know.  Many fans asked for Phoenix Wright to be in, but Capcom's smart and they know that he wouldn't work.  Maybe they thought about how he could function in the game, but they came to the conclusion he can't.  And you complain that too many of the "same character" is a bad thing, but 2 DMC characters is a bad thing?  I want there to be at least 2 representatives for popular franchises in the game.  There's only one "shoto" and that's Ryu.  Ken/Akuma/whatever won't be added in.  And then you say that 2 Resident Evil characters is fine simply because you like Wesker.  Double standard.  Capcom as a team > your opinions on what a good roster would be, "
There's a couple of things wrong here. I never said I wanted 2 RE characters just because I like Wesker. I'm pretty sure I never even said I liked Wesker. I just said that I thought it was a good balance because one of them is the main bad guy and one of them is the main good guy and they're both very popular characters. I don't want 2 DMC characters because frankly, it's just not necessary. Trish is not that popular of a characer. Hell, I'm pretty sure she's only in one of the games. DMC doesn't have that many characters to begin with so, I think we really could have done with just Dante. It'd be the same thing if they put Nathan Spencer in the game. Would you really need another Bionic Commando character? Do we really have to have Super Joe? You don't know that there's only going to be one shoto character. Real quick, don't put shoto in paranthesis like I didn't know what I was talking about, thank you. Look at MVC2. How many shoto's were in that game? You had Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dan, Sakura. We don't know the entire MVC3 line-up yet so there's a good chance atleast one more will get added.  My opinions > the misguided garbage you're spewing   You say I'm missing the point in the game but, have you seen people that play this game? Yeah, I think we all very early on have a wacky, fun time with all the different characters but, after like two weeks, this game gets serious as hell. That's when all the "wacky" characters get thrown to the side in favor of fan favorites and worhtwhile characters. That's great that you love Servebot and Tron Bonne but, no one ever competitively plays with them because they're jokes and I don't want to see spaces wasted on joke characters. There's far too many serious characters that could work very well in this game to be wasting slots on stupid shit. "
#16 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S.!

#17 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

i feel that this is a strong line up and could only be improved by adding Taskmaster or Frank West( or both)

#18 Posted by MaGnUmKiLLa (46 posts) -

@Axxol
I really didn't care for the MVC2 line-up honestly. I thought it could have used a lot of fat trimming. There were entirely too many clones and just useless ass characters. 

@Redbullet685
For real? Is it becuase you thought she was actually a good fighter or because you like the Megaman Legends games. If it's the latter, you should really consider playing through some of the better Megaman games. When I say better Megaman games, I'm really counting every other Megaman game ever made excluding 64. If you thought she was just an honestly good fighter, I don't know what to say. She wasn't my type but, if you can do stuff with her, run with it. 

@FluxWavez
That's actually exactly what I'm saying. They're only going to have, let's say 42 characters. For every one bad choice they make, that's one less character slot that could have been filled by a really great character. You're right I should have elaborated more. I wasn't really referring to playing the game on a pro level. I was more so talking about every day people playing it with their friends. I don't know about you guys but, that's exactly what happened to my group. For the first week or two, we played the game and tried out all the different characters and saw what all they could do. After that initial test run period, we completely quit playing with probably half the roster because they were just useless. Now, sure, some of their uselessness was because they were under-powered or what have you but, a lot of it was because we just didn't care about the characters.  Look at MVC2's line-up. You've got 4 Megaman characters. Do you really need that many characters from one franchise? On top of that, they weren't even the good characters from that franchise. Tron Bonne, Servebot and, Roll? !*&$ that, man. Where's Zero and Protoman? Did we need both versions of Wolverine? What about Iron Man and War Machine? Out of all the awesome characters from the X-Men universe, they went with Silver Samurai and Marrow?  Do we need that many Darkstalkers characters? Has anyone even played Darkstalkers? Would you even know what that franchise was if it wasn't for the infinitely more popular Versus series?  These are the kinds of complaints I'm talking about. When a game has that many characters, they really have to do something special to make you want to consistently play with all of them and, picking a bunch of no-name crappy characters is really just not how you go about doing that.

#19 Posted by Zidane_24 (738 posts) -

Frank West is more representative of the series than Chuck. Just sayin'. 

Also, this is Marvel Vs. Capcom we're talking about. Character selection doesn't need to make sense, the action just needs to be batshit crazy.

#20 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S.! "
do you know what that stands for?
#21 Posted by Colt (110 posts) -
@MaGnUmKiLLa: 
#22 Posted by MaGnUmKiLLa (46 posts) -

@Colt
Really man? 3 seperate posts? Care to actually contribute at any time?

#23 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

Well, I do think that having Dante AND Trish in the game seems a little odd considering that Trish isn't really a familiar character to non-fans of DMC.

#24 Posted by wrathofconn (1463 posts) -

If Gambit ain't in it, I probably ain't buying it, all other roster issues aside.

#25 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -

I don't care for Dante or Trish either, but I guess Capcom's making it so they can put in who they want.  The only real problems I have with the confirmed roster so far are Wesker (ugh) and Dormammu (double ugh, who even remembers this guy?). 

Also, there's only one X-man in the game right now: Wolverine.  You might peripherally count X-23, but she's really not on the X-men right now.  She was recently on X-Force but now that they've gone underground I don't think she's been reintroduced back onto any of the teams, although I can see her being put back with the New X-men now that the whole Hope thing is over.

#26 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3096 posts) -

I don't see how someone could feasibly hate Tron Bonne, or the idea of Phoenix Wright as a combatant.  They already said they were trying to work him into Tatsunoko v. Capcom, but couldn't figure out how to make his OBJECTION! Super balanced after they translated the word bubble into other languages.  Yes, seriously.  Those guys are crazy, and I love them for it, and you should too.  They can make some really poor casting decisions, sure.  They've made them in just about every Vs. game so far, they've got no chance of stopping now.  That said, If they give Dormammu an alternate color scheme to match Rorkannu, they could shoot me in the lung and I'd still thank them.
And really, isn't Dormammu a better choice than Shuma Gorath (Awesome though he may be)?  What is it with the Marvel v. Capcom series and Dr. Strange villains?

#27 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:
.And really, isn't Dormammu a better choice than Shuma Gorath (Awesome though he may be)?  What is it with the Marvel v. Capcom series and Dr. Strange villains? "  
Hell, no!  Shuma Gorath is a freakish octopus-lookin' guy who shoots eyeballs, and Dormammu is a dude with a flaming head.  I think we know who wins that fight.  :D 

Nobody defies Shuma Gorath!
#28 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3096 posts) -
@LordCmdrStryker:
Shuma Gorath may be all kinds of bitchin' with that giant eyeball, and the suddenly sprouting teeth from everywhere, and the teleporting, and he may have the best taunts in any game ever (Waste of Flesh!), and he may make anyone playing as Sakura either shudder or start panting and sweating in a really awkward manner, but...
Okay, nevermind, he's totally more awesome than Dormammu, even with his new awesome coat and his flaming face.  Because from a popularity perspective, maybe 1 in 50 people has any goddamned idea who either of them are.
#29 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Objection... Take THAT!
#30 Posted by ESREVER (2691 posts) -

This game is Day One for me for the Sole fact it has Dante. So yes, Dante needs to be in it. 
As for Trish? Ehh, I would have preferred they used Lady instead, but oh well. I could have done without her.

#31 Posted by Rxanadu (508 posts) -
@wrathofconn: here, here.  Also, where the hell are Strider, Storm, and Magneto?
#32 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:
Tron Bonne is a joke character?! Tron Bonne is one of my favorite characters from MvC 2.
Don't mind him, he's just a scrub!

I love that Capcom isn't feeling compelled to include Ken and Akuma and a ton of other characters that are popular.  There are so many more characters I do wish the game had, though.  I hope Rad Spencer and Frank West make it in at least, but I could name several dozen characters off the top of my head from Capcom and Marvel that I'd love to see in MvC3.
#33 Posted by Tricks73r (252 posts) -

I wish some people had less time on their hands.

#34 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@inknail said:
" great wanky fun "
This is exactly what I want out of video games.
#35 Posted by wrathofconn (1463 posts) -
@LordAndrew
@inknail said:
" great wanky fun "
This is exactly what I want out of video games.
I so wanted to reply to that post last night but I got distracted talking about Gambit and forgot. Good on ya.
#36 Posted by august (3846 posts) -

MvC is SERIOUS BUSINESS. Only SERIOUS CHARACTERS ALLOWED.

#37 Posted by AxleBro (798 posts) -

ALL THIS ROSTER NEEDS IS JIN JIN  JIN AND MORE JIN!! TYPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but in all seriousness, dude, marvels only popular BECAUSE of the lesser known and crazy characters. crazyness is all this game runs on. but no rly. i can deal with no hayato, that's fine, and trons in there so i'm happy because shes awesome, but i'm not buying this shit if it lacks the GREAT!!! BLODIAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! THIS GAME NEEDS MORE CRAZY, ITS TOO TAME!!!  i didn't expect much crazy from marvel fuck HOLY FUCK CAPCOM STEP YOUR GAME UP!!! WE NEED MORE CRAZYNESS!!!

#38 Posted by MaGnUmKiLLa (46 posts) -
@Axleisbored said:
" ALL THIS ROSTER NEEDS IS JIN JIN  JIN AND MORE JIN!! TYPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but in all seriousness, dude, marvels only popular BECAUSE of the lesser known and crazy characters. crazyness is all this game runs on. but no rly. i can deal with no hayato, that's fine, and trons in there so i'm happy because shes awesome, but i'm not buying this shit if it lacks the GREAT!!! BLODIAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! THIS GAME NEEDS MORE CRAZY, ITS TOO TAME!!!  i didn't expect much crazy from marvel fuck HOLY FUCK CAPCOM STEP YOUR GAME UP!!! WE NEED MORE CRAZYNESS!!! "
I can't help but think that you're completely wrong in every way. I'd bet all my Star Wars glasses that 99% of people that initially got into MVC was because they saw the game and said one thing to themselves, "Holy shit, are those Marvel characters in a video game!?"
#39 Posted by NTM (7381 posts) -

Marvel vs. Capcom makes no sense in general.
#40 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -
@MaGnUmKiLLa said:
" @Axleisbored said:
" ALL THIS ROSTER NEEDS IS JIN JIN  JIN AND MORE JIN!! TYPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but in all seriousness, dude, marvels only popular BECAUSE of the lesser known and crazy characters. crazyness is all this game runs on. but no rly. i can deal with no hayato, that's fine, and trons in there so i'm happy because shes awesome, but i'm not buying this shit if it lacks the GREAT!!! BLODIAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! THIS GAME NEEDS MORE CRAZY, ITS TOO TAME!!!  i didn't expect much crazy from marvel fuck HOLY FUCK CAPCOM STEP YOUR GAME UP!!! WE NEED MORE CRAZYNESS!!! "
I can't help but think that you're completely wrong in every way. I'd bet all my Star Wars glasses that 99% of people that initially got into MVC was because they saw the game and said one thing to themselves, "Holy shit, are those Marvel characters in a video game!?" "
Not everyone interested in MvC is interested in it for the Marvel characters.
#41 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

The fun part about MvC is all the crazy characters. That's what made MvC2 so much fun.

#42 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

I would love to see Stan Lee in the game honestly.

#43 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -
@RichardLOlson said:
" I would love to see Stan Lee in the game honestly. "
There needs to be the ability to play as a Stan Lee/Keiji Inafune/Ruby Heart team.  (Since Ruby was inexplicably created as an original character for MvC2.  Why on Earth did that game need an original character?)
#44 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Should they? 
Hell yes, why not? 
Even if it is random or doesn't make sense. 
Its fun as hell. 
#45 Posted by bartok (2481 posts) -

Why wouldn't Phoenix Wright be a good fit ?  This is a game where a Japanese God Dog teams up with the head of the evil Umbrella Corporation and a mercenary that is aware he is in fact in a video game fight the son of the Norse God Odin who is teaming with a midget in a Power Rangers outfit and a Chinese lady with rather muscular thighs.  I think a lawyer laying the smack down on a dude that was bit by a radioactive spider is perfectly reasonable in a game which a half naked lady with blue hair and a cat suit is able to go toe to toe with a guy in a suit of armor that has rockets and giant laser cannons at his disposal.   
The only character on the roster that I think is a waste is Trish.  At least with X-23 I get that it is like female Wolverine but now with added foot claws and Dormammu because you need at least one obscure Marvel villain and this one is cooler then that damn octopus thing.  Trish just seems dumb she isn't wacky or obscure like Tron Bonne she was just the throw away love interest in the first Devil May Cry and the levels where you had to play as her sucked ass.

#46 Posted by regularassmilk (1417 posts) -

I want to see it get more ridiculous and obscure.
I want to play as the plane from 1942.

#47 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

I don't trust anyone with a Sonic avatar, sorry.

#48 Edited by MaGnUmKiLLa (46 posts) -
@BionicMonster said:

" I don't trust anyone with a Sonic avatar, sorry. "

Is that MechaGodzilla? I don't trust anyone that takes MechaGodzilla and puts their name over him in front of some stupid rainbow thing that looks like it came out of an 80's music video.

I was going to write some big joke about "Let's make everything ridiculous and silly" but, I know everything I listed as examples, you'd be like "that sounds awesome" I don't know what to say. I like having kind of serious video games and especially serious fighting games. I don't know what this wave of "I can't haz the seriousbizzniss" I'm just going to go ahead and assume it's because you're all hipster tards or some shit.
#49 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

A lot of Capcom's choices have been fun and inspired, just about every fan choice I've seen has been fucking dull as hell and completely uninteresting. Yeah we know, you wanna spam with Gambit. Yeah we know, you want Ken in even though Ryu's there already. Fucking yawn. Modok is amazing.

#50 Posted by NTM (7381 posts) -

I don't think the mush-up of Marvel vs Capcom makes sense in the first place.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.