So Sentinel...

  • 58 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for pessh
#1 Edited by Pessh (2510 posts) -

Edit: Hsien Ko, Sentinel and Galactus all confirmed, expect reveal trailers monday.
 
  

  
1692726-ghghg.jpg

1692725-foto0046p.jpg

1692725-foto0046p.jpg

1692727-sen.jpg

Avatar image for recroulette
#2 Posted by recroulette (5413 posts) -

The glare on the right side bothers me to no end. 
 It's probably legit, but if it was a really well done fake, that wouldn't surprise me either.

Avatar image for craigbo180
#3 Posted by craigbo180 (1763 posts) -

Well... I hope its real!

Avatar image for thephantomnaut
#4 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6358 posts) -

FUCK THE KNICKS?

Avatar image for mooseymcman
#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12412 posts) -

Neat, but I would still rather have Frank West, regardless of technical problems. 

Avatar image for glentennis
#6 Posted by GlenTennis (3271 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" FUCK THE KNICKS? "
If they don't have that Mango Sentinel then that's a copy un-SOLD!
Avatar image for audiosnag
#7 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
" FUCK THE KNICKS? "
If they don't have that Mango Sentinel then that's a copy un-SOLD! "
Mmmmmm...Mango Sentinel...*drool*
Avatar image for ricetopher
#8 Posted by ricetopher (1077 posts) -

THANK GOD FOR THE MACHINE

  

  
Avatar image for hosstile17
#9 Posted by Hosstile17 (793 posts) -

Mango.

Avatar image for mesoian
#10 Posted by Mesoian (1621 posts) -

The powers that be are championing this picture, so it looks like it's valid. 
 
Which means Hsien-ko later this week, and THAT'S all I care about.

Avatar image for mysteriousbob
#11 Posted by MysteriousBob (6262 posts) -

If thats a fake, then its a damn good one. 

Avatar image for gosukiller
#12 Posted by gosukiller (2340 posts) -

that's sooooo sentinel.

Avatar image for yummylee
#13 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

If it does turn out to be true then it's such a waste of a character slot. I understand it's a classic MvC character but there are plenty other classic MvC characters that have suffered the cut also, all of which would be more interesting than a generic Sentinel unit.

Avatar image for jokerfrown
#14 Posted by JokerFrown (321 posts) -

That is so fuckin Pringles.

Avatar image for hansolol
#15 Posted by hansolol (669 posts) -

So, here's the thing.  Sentinel sucks.  
 
No one's favorite character is Sentinel.  If you polled the entire world on who their favorite Marvel character is, no one would say the sentinels from X-men.  Hell, why not just put in The Kingpin's Henchman?  Yeah, that's right.  The Kingpin's Henchman.  Capitalized to denote a single solitary henchman.  That is exactly what Sentinel is.  A generic robot henchman.  Also, I don't care how good he was in Marvel 2.  If they're going for that logic, where the hell is Strider?

Avatar image for ryanwho
#16 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

How are people still talking about that fucking fool from years ago. They already threw a curly mustache thing in there, that's more than they should have done. Sentinal's a big character and the game could use more, also I'd take it over Juggernaut knowing they would feel compelled to work in an even stupider meme for that.

Avatar image for mysteriousbob
#17 Posted by MysteriousBob (6262 posts) -

I hope he's at least vaguely balanced. I know he's just here because of his lineage in MVC2. But I don't want to go online with this game and just get constantly rushed down with him like I experience playing MVC2 online. Well.. I can take confort in the fact that MVC3 is slower (which is actually a good thing).

Avatar image for ricetopher
#18 Edited by ricetopher (1077 posts) -

@Hansolol: While Sentinel isn't a single, unique character, he's one of the more iconic X-Men villains besides Magneto and Apocalypse. X-Men is my favorite Marvel franchise so I'm excited to see him return. Plus it shows me that they are catering to people who really care, and not casuals. Appealing solely to casuals is how you make a bad fighting game.

Also, with all of the bitching about him being in the game, I might have to play MSS on the side to troll whiny scrubs.

Avatar image for babychoochoo
#19 Posted by BabyChooChoo (6271 posts) -

Is there anyone who honestly didn't expect him to return? I mean honestly. Deep down in the pit of your soul, did you truly believe he would not make a comeback.
 
And in a game with C. Viper, Shuma Gorath, Jill, and a few other questionable choices; is Sentinel, of all people, truly a wasted character slot? Really?
 
He's never been a character I'd ever use outside of messing around with some friends, but I certainly don't mind him being i this game.

Avatar image for ryanwho
#20 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

Kinda thought he'd be a non-playable midboss type deal.

Avatar image for yummylee
#21 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -
@PrimeSynergy said:
" Is there anyone who honestly didn't expect him to return? I mean honestly. Deep down in the pit of your soul, did you truly believe he would not make a comeback.
 
And in a game with C. Viper, Shuma Gorath, Jill, and a few other questionable choices; is Sentinel, of all people, truly a wasted character slot? Really?  He's never been a character I'd ever use outside of messing around with some friends, but I certainly don't mind him being i this game. "
Considering that C. Viper, Gorath and Jill are actual characters with personalities... then yeah, a giant, generic robot is a complete waste.
Avatar image for pessh
#22 Posted by Pessh (2510 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:
" Is there anyone who honestly didn't expect him to return? I mean honestly. Deep down in the pit of your soul, did you truly believe he would not make a comeback.
 
And in a game with C. Viper, Shuma Gorath, Jill, and a few other questionable choices; is Sentinel, of all people, truly a wasted character slot? Really?  He's never been a character I'd ever use outside of messing around with some friends, but I certainly don't mind him being i this game. "
Considering that C. Viper, Gorath and Jill are actual characters with personalities... then yeah, a giant, generic robot is a complete waste. "
Get what your saying, and when you look at it like that maybe Bastion or Onslaught would have been better choices but Sentinel was pretty much the personality of MvC2, and it adds variety to the roster so I'm cool with it.
Avatar image for phantomzxro
#23 Posted by phantomzxro (1613 posts) -
@Pessh said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:
" Is there anyone who honestly didn't expect him to return? I mean honestly. Deep down in the pit of your soul, did you truly believe he would not make a comeback.
 
And in a game with C. Viper, Shuma Gorath, Jill, and a few other questionable choices; is Sentinel, of all people, truly a wasted character slot? Really?  He's never been a character I'd ever use outside of messing around with some friends, but I certainly don't mind him being i this game. "
Considering that C. Viper, Gorath and Jill are actual characters with personalities... then yeah, a giant, generic robot is a complete waste. "
Get what your saying, and when you look at it like that maybe Bastion or Onslaught would have been better choices but Sentinel was pretty much the personality of MvC2, and it adds variety to the roster so I'm cool with it. "

I'm somewhat ok with it because true he will add variety but  just hope not every one will use him and hope he does not make 50% of the roster useless which is what happen in mvc2.
Avatar image for starvinggamer
#24 Posted by StarvingGamer (11126 posts) -

Personality is the last thing you should be looking for in a fighting game.  By that logic 90% of fighting game characters are a complete waste.

Avatar image for mysteriousbob
#25 Edited by MysteriousBob (6262 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:

" Personality is the last thing you should be looking for in a fighting game.  By that logic 90% of fighting game characters are a complete waste. "

If you work that out at 90% then the only fighting games you've obviously played are Dead or Alive and War Gods.
Avatar image for sileonex
#26 Posted by SileoNex (69 posts) -

Man, I really hated playing against  Sentinels in MvC 2, but I can't say I'm surprised that he's back.

Avatar image for starvinggamer
#27 Edited by StarvingGamer (11126 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:

" @StarvingGamer said:

" Personality is the last thing you should be looking for in a fighting game.  By that logic 90% of fighting game characters are a complete waste. "

If you work that out at 90% then the only fighting games you've obviously played are Dead or Alive and War Gods. "
I play Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Marvel vs Capcom, King of Fighters and BlazBlue primarily.  Almost all of the characters in these games are gross caricatures with no real depth.  Maybe we just have different definitions for the word, but when a giant Native American falls out of the sky, sits on you, then raises his palm and says, "How," I see the antithesis of "personality".
Avatar image for jjor64
#28 Posted by JJOR64 (19660 posts) -

MANGO SENTINEL!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for ryanwho
#29 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @StarvingGamer said:

" Personality is the last thing you should be looking for in a fighting game.  By that logic 90% of fighting game characters are a complete waste. "

If you work that out at 90% then the only fighting games you've obviously played are Dead or Alive and War Gods. "
I play Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Marvel vs Capcom, King of Fighters and BlazBlue primarily.  Almost all of the characters in these games are gross caricatures with no real depth.  Maybe we just have different definitions for the word, but a giant Native American falls out of the sky, sits on you, then raises his palm and says, "How," I see the antithesis of "personality". "
Basically people who look cool should be in the game, and that's it. Gambit's stupid as a character but looks cool, put him in. Strider has no personality to speak of but dig that scarf, put him in. 
Avatar image for fun
#30 Edited by FUN (201 posts) -

Sentinel is weird.  The game would not have been affected badly if Sent wasn't in, but the game only gets cooler if Sent is in.  Funny how that goes.
 
Capcom said new characters would be announced next week/this weekend, HD Sent with remixed Genosha stage will be amazing.  Same thing for Lei-Lei's trailer, I'm like going to watch that fifty times to make sure that it's actually happening after this wait, lol :p
 
 
as for the whole "characters with personality" thing, look at it this way:  They put in the RE 5 versions of Chris, Wesker, and Jill.  That is all.

Avatar image for ricetopher
#31 Posted by ricetopher (1077 posts) -
Avatar image for pessh
#32 Edited by Pessh (2510 posts) -

It's true, it's daaaaaamn true.
    

  
 
 

 MOTHERFUCKING GALACTUS
 MOTHERFUCKING GALACTUS
 
 

1692725-foto0046p.jpg



Avatar image for starvinggamer
#33 Posted by StarvingGamer (11126 posts) -

HYYYYYYPE!!!!!!

Avatar image for recroulette
#34 Posted by recroulette (5413 posts) -

Hell yesssss. 
 
Also, if Deadpool's going to refer to "curleh mustache" then they better have the goddamn Mango Sentinel.

Avatar image for fun
#35 Edited by FUN (201 posts) -

Confirmed for best game ever?
 
@RecSpec: If they put in Yipes' personal colour edit for Magneto, they have the Mango Sentinel.
 
The Republic of Black Sentinel for a stage!

Avatar image for pessh
#36 Posted by Pessh (2510 posts) -

All aboard the hype train. SRK is broke (again) because of a couple of leaks, fuck is going to happen when the full game comes out...

Avatar image for starvinggamer
#37 Posted by StarvingGamer (11126 posts) -
Avatar image for jakob187
#38 Posted by jakob187 (22801 posts) -

Sentinel's in? 
 
Then I'm out.  I was hoping for a change of pace.  Apparently, Capcom could give a shit less about that.

Avatar image for fun
#39 Posted by FUN (201 posts) -
I just got a text from friends that the University's Student Union arcade is unveiling SSF IV AE at 7 tonight.  Lei-Lei/Sent in MvC 3 AND AE in one day?  Good shit.
 
@jakob187:  Really, leaving because of one character out of 36?  Wow.  If that's what you want, go for it, but you're gonna be missing out.
Avatar image for starvinggamer
#40 Edited by StarvingGamer (11126 posts) -
@jakob187: Uhhh... so you mean the fact that Captain America, Doctor Doom, Hulk, Iron Man, Magneto, Spider-Man, Storm, Wolverine, Akuma, Chun-Li, Felicia, Morrigan, Ryu and Tron Bonne are returning is enough of a change of pace... but Sentinel isn't?  LOGIC!  REASON!
 
EDIT: Or rather, Deadpool, Dormammu, M.O.D.O.K, Phoenix, She-Hulk, Super-Skrull, Taskermaster, Thor, X-23, Amaterasu, Arthur, Chris Redfield, Dante, Felicia, Haggar, Spencer, Trish, Viewtiful Joe, C. Viper, Wesker, Zero and Hsien-Ko and a heavily revamped control scheme isn't enough of a change of pace... because of Sentinel?  PROFOUND!
Avatar image for hailinel
#41 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" Sentinel's in?  Then I'm out.  I was hoping for a change of pace.  Apparently, Capcom could give a shit less about that. "
Both sides have returning characters, but the majority of the roster is different, and from all indications, the game is not going to play the same as MvC2.  There's still a fair chance that Sentinel won't invalidate 90% of the roster.
Avatar image for fun
#42 Edited by FUN (201 posts) -

It's not so much that Sent is good (he is really good because his fly/unfly is broken as shit because of the system, as compared to COTA Sent where he is still good but not completely broken), but that those 90% invalidates themselves :p
 
Besides, if you really want to make a low character on point or team valid, Sent should be one of your best friends :p

Avatar image for pixelprinny
#43 Posted by PixelPrinny (1076 posts) -

 Hsien-ko is in? Awesooooome. 

Avatar image for recroulette
#44 Posted by recroulette (5413 posts) -
@FUN: @StarvingGamer:  Completely forgot about the Magneto color! That was awesome in itself.
Avatar image for superwristbands
#45 Posted by SuperWristBands (2281 posts) -

Aw yeah Hsien-ko! I was just waiting for my hopes to be crushed that she wasn't gonna be in there. So glad that that didn't happen.

Avatar image for inknail
#46 Posted by inknail (162 posts) -

Not a huge sentinel fan (he's so damn powerful); I just wish it had been Juggernaut instead.

Avatar image for hansolol
#47 Posted by hansolol (669 posts) -

Wow, I can't believe people are actually defending Sentinel's inclusion.
 
Imagine if Mokap from Mortal Kombat Armageddon was one of the best, most fun characters to play in that game.  And then the final character revealed for Mortal Kombat 9 ends up being Mokap.  And then you went on forums and people were like, "Yeah Mokap is the man, you just don't get it. MANGO MOKAP, MAG-FUCKIN-MOKAP"  You'd shit yourself.

Avatar image for fun
#48 Edited by FUN (201 posts) -

 Do you guys play Marvel?  I don't mean "I picked it up on XBox Live, my team of Guile/Venom/Sabretooth is unbeatable," I mean actually play the game?
 
lmao at bringing Mortal Kombat into this, seriously.  I can understand being disappointed Sent was the final reveal, but if I were at Capcom planning them, I would have announced Sent with Akuma then not announce Hsien-Ko and Taskmaster until launch day just to weed out the scrubs.

Avatar image for hansolol
#49 Posted by hansolol (669 posts) -
@FUN said:

"  lmao at bringing Mortal Kombat into this, seriously"

You missed my point.  MK because I was searching for an analogy to better explain my point, which is that Sentinel as a character isn't interesting, just like Mokap isn't interesting.  I understand wanting Sentinel's style of gameplay to return, sure.  I just can't think of a more boring character, aesthetically speaking, than what is essentially a robot henchman. Give him all the badass moves you want, it's still the boiler plate robots that Wolverine shreds every month in the comics.
 
Let me try a different analogy.  What if, instead of Sentinel being really popular in MVC2, you had a top tier S.H.I.E.L.D. soldier?  He had a gun and a helmet and some riot gear armor.  BUT, he was incredibly fun to play and was the best character in the game.  Does Marvel really want one of their representatives to be a nameless solider?
Avatar image for rmanthorp
#50 Posted by rmanthorp (4493 posts) -

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5v2RdxYGqk
 
:C

Moderator

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.