Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

some things I love/dislike about MvC3

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fishinwithguns

I'm gonna try and keep this to a simple bullet list of statements about Marvel vs. Capcom 3. 

First off, here's what I love about it:

- Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is an amazing game, basically a dream come true.
    - I think Capcom handled the franchise's transition from 2D to 3D masterfully just as they did with SFIV.
    - I think the new control scheme actually enhances the experience and makes it easier to learn new characters, which is a plus.
    - I think the selection of characters is great, I'm glad they weren't afraid to introduce obscure ones, but still kept all the favorites (and adding Zero is the icing on the cake for me).
    - The music in MvC2 sucked but we grew to like it simply because we associated it with an amazing fighting game.  I think the music in 3 is genuinely good on its own (maybe minus some of the menu music).
    - I'm actually pleased with pretty much all the English voice acting (especially Deadpool's which is perfect), whereas in SSFIV I changed pretty much everyone's voice to Japanese (Guy saying "Profound sadness!" every time he loses is too much). 
    - I'm not incredibly good at the game (I'm way more suited to SSFIV), but there were a few instances where I was getting my ass kicked by much better players and was able to turn it around and win just by doing things the opponent probably never expected (but X-factor helps too).  So even though there are tons of incredibly skilled players online right now, the outcome isn't always certain.  A crazy game like this needs a certain level of unpredictability.
    - Little touches like characters calling out each other's names when they're tagged are nice, and I especially like the things they say before the start of a match, when it's specifically tailored to the two first characters, like Deadpool impersonating Magneto ("Welcome to DIE!"), or Captain America saying "Your name is Zero? Hope you don't fight like one."  Basically it shows Capcom's attention to detail, and I admire them for it.

I could go on and on about how great this game is, but here are my few complaints:

- I'm sure many will agree/have already stated that some menus could have been handled better...maybe they could address this in future updates, who knows.
    - This complaint is actually more aimed at fighting games in general, but there are always those players online who will use incredibly cheap tactics, or basically do whatever dumbass things they can think of to win.  It doesn't frustrate me so much when I lose this way, I just can't stand people who play like this because I don't understand how they can have fun or even feel good about winning that way.  A lot of these cheap tactics I've found can be worked around fairly easily, but it's still annoying. 
    - This is a minor complaint, but it always slightly irks me when I'm playing as a character with fairly realistic human proportions like Deadpool or Dante and am fighting something like Viewtiful Joe.  But after all it's a vs. game so there certainly is room for off the wall shit and at least it's not as bad as Servbot vs. Sentinel or something.
    - Sentinel and Amaterasu can fuck off and die.

I think that's about it.  I hope no one is offended by anything I've said (even though this is all very innocuous, the potential of pissing someone off on a videogame site never goes away).

Anyone agree/disagree/have anything to add?

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ulong
    @needforswede said:

This complaint is actually more aimed at fighting games in general, but there are always those players online who will use incredibly cheap tactics, or basically do whatever dumbass things they can think of to win.  It doesn't frustrate me so much when I lose this way, I just can't stand people who play like this because I don't understand how they can have fun or even feel good about winning that way.  A lot of these cheap tactics I've found can be worked around fairly easily, but it's still annoying.

As someone who plays a keepaway team. We're not having fun, because of our opponent. Keepaway teams are very fun and rewarding when the enemy player is competent and gets in on you, and you have to push them back and evade etc.
    It's boring as hell when our opponent is awful, because there's nothing for us to do but spam our shots and wonder what's wrong with them.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @needforswede said:
     - This complaint is actually more aimed at fighting games in general, but there are always those players online who will use incredibly cheap tactics, or basically do whatever dumbass things they can think of to win.  It doesn't frustrate me so much when I lose this way, I just can't stand people who play like this because I don't understand how they can have fun or even feel good about winning that way.  A lot of these cheap tactics I've found can be worked around fairly easily, but it's still annoying.  
    Perhaps you are just looking at this the wrong way, but people playing the game the way you don't think should be the norm is a way to test out how good it is as a game. As much as people like to hear oh, there's always a counter to something like in Rock Paper Scissors, fighting games breeds creativity of what one can do. I don't know what you think is cheap or dumb, but I know everybody including myself, experiment by doing really out of the box thinking just to see how my opponent reacts (and if they can adapt), and just maybe, its also a pretty good tactic until its so common nobody falls for it anymore. This isn't purely guitar hero where the entire game boils down to who knows thier combos more and can pull it off consistently (its just a portion of it). There is mind games involved and doing somewhat dumb things just may be the way to trick your opponent. 
    AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AzHP

Why I hate the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4e-zcyDq4

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous
    fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fishinwithguns
    @Ulong said:
    " @needforswede said:

This complaint is actually more aimed at fighting games in general, but there are always those players online who will use incredibly cheap tactics, or basically do whatever dumbass things they can think of to win.  It doesn't frustrate me so much when I lose this way, I just can't stand people who play like this because I don't understand how they can have fun or even feel good about winning that way.  A lot of these cheap tactics I've found can be worked around fairly easily, but it's still annoying.

As someone who plays a keepaway team. We're not having fun, because of our opponent. Keepaway teams are very fun and rewarding when the enemy player is competent and gets in on you, and you have to push them back and evade etc. It's boring as hell when our opponent is awful, because there's nothing for us to do but spam our shots and wonder what's wrong with them. "
    I get what you're saying, and I've actually never heard the term "keepaway" team.  In the past, every time I've seen someone move off to the far edge of the screen with Sentinel just to fire lasers constantly, I assumed it's because they just wanted an easy win.  But if I, someone who is certainly no expert on the game, am able to find a way to get past this defense, then I guess I can't really call it cheap.  If it were me using this tactic though, and was playing someone much worse than me who couldn't find a way past it, I would try and mix it up a little, not to make it easier for him, but just because I've pretty much established I can win several different ways, and in this case I'd rather win with combos instead of one move over and over.  That's just me though, I have fun even when I get my ass kicked, and I don't take the game too seriously, I just don't like Sentinel as a character, probably just because 80% of the people I play use him.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @AzHP said:
    " Why I hate the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4e-zcyDq4 "
    OH GOD "
    Just punishment for spamming assist at point blank range vs Sentinel with a Double Lariat in the pocket. 

Also MAHVEL
    fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fishinwithguns
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @needforswede said:
    Perhaps you are just looking at this the wrong way, but people playing the game the way you don't think should be the norm is a way to test out how good it is as a game. As much as people like to hear oh, there's always a counter to something like in Rock Paper Scissors, fighting games breeds creativity of what one can do. I don't know what you think is cheap or dumb, but I know everybody including myself, experiment by doing really out of the box thinking just to see how my opponent reacts (and if they can adapt), and just maybe, its also a pretty good tactic until its so common nobody falls for it anymore. This isn't purely guitar hero where the entire game boils down to who knows thier combos more and can pull it off consistently (its just a portion of it). There is mind games involved and doing somewhat dumb things just may be the way to trick your opponent.  "
    I know, I must sound like I'm bitching but I'm really usually not one to say anything is cheap, I think fighting games (especially those by Capcom) are brilliant because they're easy to pick up but can take a lifetime to master, and as you've said there are tons of different ways to play, it's a subtle art I guess.   I probably shouldn't have used the word "cheap," but just "annoying" instead.  If it's annoying to me, it doesn't mean it's "wrong."  MvC3 is great because it's chaotic and there are tons of variables to consider, it keeps you on your toes.  I was just venting because I get destroyed by Sentinel at least half the time I play against him.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Haggar sucks dick.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ulong
    @needforswede: 

Yah alot of bad keepaway players kind of gravitate to sentinel, because of how quick it is to mash out his beam spam since it's literally just heavy button/crouch heavy button.
    I never took sentinal seriously as a keepaway character because the very first character i got into playing was arthur and arthur's double lance beats sentinal beam every single time, I'd full on 1 on 1 an x factoredd sentinal with just arthur because of lance.
    What sentinal was great for on a keepaway team though, was his sentinal force assist (the one where he has 3 drones go up across the screen at an upwards angle) gives you alot of screen coverage while you try and fill other parts of the screen with your main char's shots. A bit risky now after sentinal's health nerf given how punishable that assist was though.

Regarding mixing it up, I really shouldn't. Arthur is not a melee character at all. If fsomeone gets in on me sometimes I  can surpise them with a quick crouch heavy into launcher, and the team air combo arthur the hell out of their into my hulk but, if an enemy player is playing bad, I shouldn't force myself into a dangerous situation by either hard tagging in hulk or attempting to rush them down with arthur. Even a bad player with wolverine for example, has a good chance of kicking arthur's ass if arthur tries to rush him down.
    My philosophy is this, if the enemy player is bad enough that I can just spam my shots and he can't do anything, I should just spam my shots to end the match as fast as possible so we can both move on to hopefully more evenly matched games.

Think of it this way, pretend you're playing a heavy rushdown team with she hulk / wolverine / spencer. And early on in the match, you realise your opponent does not know how to block, at all, so every time you go into combo them, it allways works. The entire match you just block/punish into huge combo. Should you mix it up and stop comboing them? It's functionally no different.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous
    @StarvingGamer said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" @AzHP said:

" Why I hate the game:

"
    OH GOD "

Just punishment for spamming assist at point blank range vs Sentinel with a Double Lariat in the pocket.  Also MAHVEL "

rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rbysjti

The game lacked features. The game doesn't even have any poster or image that shows all the characters of this game. I feel the game was rushed, or let's say there wasn't really enough time for them to finish everything.  Looks like Capcom is just gonna give a lot of DLC for this game. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.