Total newbie question-how does one block/guard?

#1 Posted by jclane (337 posts) -

Yeah,talk about a shameful inquiry,but the only fighting game/series I put any real "effort" into learning was Tekken.So this system is drawing a blank in my mind,and there's no simple button according to the game manual (not that those are usually any good point of reference to anyway).I'm using a 360 gamepad by the way.Please don't rain hellfire on this poor lost soul.

#2 Edited by Icemael (6317 posts) -

Hold back. 

EDIT: I mean as in the direction back, not the button back. I totally forgot the Xbox 360's select button is called "back".

#3 Posted by jclane (337 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" Hold back. "
Of course it'd be the same as Tekken! How could I have been so stupid.Urgh
#4 Posted by monocactus (21 posts) -

Does a high block, block high attacks and the crouched block low and high attacks, like in SFIV?

#5 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -
@monocactus said:
" Does a high block, block high attacks and the crouched block low and high attacks, like in SFIV? "
yes
#6 Posted by monocactus (21 posts) -

Offtopic question:
Why is my name blue?

#7 Posted by Ezekeilpurger (321 posts) -

oh hey another mvc related question. when someone says "he has super armor" wtf does that mean?

#8 Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) -
@monocactus:  because you set your alignment to PS3 in your profile. Green is 360 and red is Nintendo.
#9 Posted by monocactus (21 posts) -
@TechHits: Thanks.
#10 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

also press light and medium while holding back in a direction to advance guard, which pushes them back

#11 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@Ezekeilpurger said:
" oh hey another mvc related question. when someone says "he has super armor" wtf does that mean? "
means that, while they have super armor up (usually tied to specific attacks, I think. Example: Hulk's heavy attack has super armor) they can take a hit without being stunned.
#12 Edited by smitty86 (698 posts) -
@Ezekeilpurger: I think your referring to the fact that some characters, like the hulk, have attacks where he can be hit once but they will still continue. I suggest looking at the shoryuken wiki page they made. It helped me out a lot with all the phrases and such.

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Marvel_vs_Capcom_3/Glossary

Edit: Yeah, what that guy said.
#13 Posted by Ezekeilpurger (321 posts) -
@TheFreeMan: thanks!
#14 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -
@monocactus said:
" Does a high block, block high attacks and the crouched block low and high attacks, like in SFIV? "
High block blocks high and medium, low block blocks low and medium.
#15 Posted by monocactus (21 posts) -
@GlenTennis:  How to block projectiles? They seem to be very fast!!
#16 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -
@monocactus said:
" @GlenTennis:  How to block projectiles? They seem to be very fast!! "
Most projectiles are medium, so either block will do. You just gotta hold back and hope for the best. Or jump over them.
#17 Posted by Sergotron (483 posts) -

Also if you activate X Factor, you can block without taking chip damage.

#18 Edited by AndyPhifer (167 posts) -

You'd be surprised how much you can learn by reading the instruction manual.  
No, really. Not making fun of you, it really is helpful. Lots of info in there about a variety of basic things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.