Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

What am I doing incorrectly?

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iDarktread

So, tonight's the last night I have with Marvel vs. Capcom 3, at least until I purchase the game. Being a cheap, three day rental, I was surprised that I was sold on the game within minutes of assuming control of my on-screen characters. The only problem is that I just cannot seem to win online; my record is somewhere around 0-20 in Ranked matches, and have won less than five games in Player matches.

• I've completed up to level 7 or 8 for most of the characters in Mission mode, without any trouble. 
    • In Arcade mode, I can set the difficulty up a little from the default mode, and do quite well. 
    • I find that I'm fairly decent with a few characters, favoring Tron, Amaterasu, X-23, Morrigan, and Zero.

However, my mind is absolutely boggled when I attempt to access the training mode, for I have no idea what I, as a beginner, should be doing there. I understand the majority of the core mechanics, though I have no idea what I should be focusing on to get better at the game. 

Any tips for beginners would be appreciated here. Hopefully, those more experienced with the game can help out not just myself, but others struggling to fully grasp the game as well.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Pessh

Probably not the answer you're looking for but the best thing you can do right now is keep playing ranked and keep losing. You'll become a better player for it. There's no magic tips, mostly comes down to experience.
    Trials are fine and all but what use is a combo if you can never get in to perform it? Human oppostion > Arcade, they're nothing a like, the com doesn't fall for mind games, mixups, all the important stuff basically.

Typically you're time in training mode should be spent practicing combos, working on your execution, practicing setups to get in and perform said combos, and just messing around, getting creative, try and come up with some crazy new mixups or whatever but I wouldn't worry too much about the last one yet.

What platform are you on? If you're playing on PS3 I can try and help you out.

Twoheadedogr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twoheadedogr

@OP;

You haven't really said what your weaknesess are when fighting?.. What kinda teams do you match up?.. Can you do combo's yet?.. Do you use the X-Factor?.. Do you know what everything does.. why it does it.. and when to use it?.. all of this stuff is really important.

I know a quick tip for now tho.. if you looking for the match.. make sure in the rank bar you have it set for same. That way you don't get someone waaay beyond your skill lvl.

:)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

The problem with Training Mode and Arcade Mode and Mission Mode is that what you're doing is practicing to attack and attack and attack and attack and with the way MvC3 is designed, pretty much anyone can attack with a fair level of competence. The real hurdle in a vs. game is knowing how to defend all the crazy shit going on and the only way to learn that is by playing other people. Best suggestion I have is find a buddy to play with, get horribly destroyed over and over again and any time you don't understand how or why you got destroyed, ask your friend what they did to catch you off guard.

Don't give up, it's refreshing to see such a positive attitude in a new player :D

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

Let this be proof that training mode and mission mode does absolutely nothing to the beginner that knows nothing of fighting games so everybody stop trying suggest noobs go to mission and training mode.  

The most ultra basic thing you can learn from just playing experience is am I safe/ can I punish?  

That is does doing this move leave me open for a free retaliation, and did the move my opponent did leave him open to punish. Yes you will look like an idiot spamming moves but if you can learn from matches and just refine when to use your moves then you would have already gotten better. I don't care if your only punish is doing a super, its still easy damage.  

Then after you realize through the fast pace gameplay the rhythm of when to attack and defend, go and learn combos and such in the training mode since you would actually have the skills to actually use the combos when you see an opening.  

Next step is making a synergistic team, but everybody has their own method to that.  

The only other tip I can say is no matter how many projectiles and stuff seem to be on the screen, always block the direction that your opponents main character is facing. Yes there is bound to be tricks like they teleport right above your head and you have to guess which way is he going to land, but that just the mindgames behind it all. 

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By gosukiller
    @iDarktread: How are you in the combo department? I'd say that, when you hit training mode you do these 3 things: 

1) Try to find out a way to combo into your Supers. By this I mean hitting the character and then pasting your super behind it. 

2) Try to find a combo that doesn't use any meter, from both starting from the air and starting from a low attack. 

3) Try to extend basic combos with assists. See if you can do a super when your enemy is being hit by an assist. 
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iDarktread
    @Pessh:  @Twoheadedogr:  @StarvingGamer:  @StarvingGamer:  @StaticFalconar:  @gosukiller: Alright, thanks for the tips. I actually had to return the PS3 game tonight, but hopefully will be able to re-rent another copy over the weekend for just three bucks. I actually found a MvC2 Tournament Edition stick for 360 at a really good price at a local game store, and bought it just to have access to both consoles and communities, so I may hold off on purchasing the game for either console until it drops in price a little, which I'm sure it will soon.

Anyways, today I watched a decent amount of Justin Wong playing MvC3 on FADC's channel, and he was using one of his alternate teams, comprised of She-Hulk Alpha, Amaterasu Beta and Tron Beta. I'm not really a fan of She-Hulk's play-style or character, but really like Ammy and Tron. I'm having trouble picking a good point-man, though, and would appreciate some suggestions that might go well with those two. Another team that I actually like a lot is a direct copy of Clakey D's, which is Tron Beta, X-23 Beta, and Morrigan Gamma. 

The strategy guide actually arrived at my home last week, and I must say it's pretty awesome. I'll continue to read that to further my understanding of the basic concepts as well as lightly study the frame data it contains.
    Twoheadedogr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Twoheadedogr

I know for a good point man in a team.. I like to pick a guy with a decent amount of health and that does decent damage to.. nothing crazy..

For instance I usally use: Captain America or Ryu to start my fights there both really balanced fighters.

If you like bum rushing your oppenents right away I'd go with: Wolverine, Dante, or even X-23 tho she is a little light on health so if you get caught up use an assist or tag to get out of a jam.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By thehuntsmen5434
    @iDarktread:   Find your BnB combos. (Bread and Butter)  Combos you can always do if you connect with any sort of attack and possibly hyper into.  Practice those in training.  Also find your overhead moves (moves that hit when the opponent is blocking low) 

Just go into training and practice combos with Fight request on for Player matches so you can train and still play people.  I wouldn't do ranked until you were confident.  Not because their hard, but because you don't want to have a 5-45 record you can't erase because you were "practicing."
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By Heartagram

Make sure you find assists that work with the combos you know how to do. If you get a sweet OTG combo with hulk you can nearly kill a character without even using any meter.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Yanngc33
    @iDarktread: I had the exact same problem. The trick is, unfortunately, is to practice, practice, practice. You're gonna need more than a 3 day rental to get any results. It's been a month for me and I've just started winning and enjoying myself. Perseverance is the key
    Majinken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Majinken
    @iDarktread said:
    "assuming control "

No Caption Provided

Damnit, Harbinger!

I'm not a pro player, but I can tell you the obvious. You won't get any better unless you buy it and play it. A lot. Pulling off combos in a controlled environment is a sign that you have a good handle on timing and such, but there are things you can only learn through experience and experimentation. It also takes some focus. Find a team that works well and stick with it.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iDarktread
    @Majinken: Well, I plan to buy Pokemon today, so it will be a little while before I get Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I definitely will, however, as I had lots of fun with the rental copy, and didn't get too discouraged by getting absolutely destroyed online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.