Disney Purcahses Marvel... For 4 Billon Dollars.

• 60 results
#1 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -
Disney's Statement:

"This transaction combines Marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories," said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "Ike Perlmutter and his team have done an impressive job of nurturing these properties and have created significant value. We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney." 

Marvel's Statement:

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," said Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's Chief Executive Officer. "This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."

I have only one thing to say on this matter... I'm scared.

#2 Posted by CaptainObvious (2999 posts) -

I'm scared too. 

#3 Posted by Shazam (474 posts) -

Does this mean we could see The Hulk taking his anger out on the cast of High School Musical? 'Coz if so, I'm all for it.  

HULK SMASH PRETTY BOY.

#4 Posted by alexl86 (627 posts) -

So, Marvel is owned by Disney... Seems to have worked out pretty well for DC, which is owned by WB. It might just lead to more TV shows and movies.

#5 Posted by Skogen (430 posts) -

Wow, I was thinking of this exact scenario in the shower 15 minutes ago...eerie...

#6 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

A Disney vs. Marvel brawler? 
Oh dear...
#7 Posted by Nexas (638 posts) -

Spiderman in Kingdom Hearts 3. Make it happen.
#8 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -
@GunnBjorn said:
" A Disney vs. Marvel brawler? Oh dear... "
It will sure as hell make me happy if this situation is brought in to play:
@Shazam said:
" Does this mean we could see The Hulk taking his anger out on the cast of High School Musical? 'Coz if so, I'm all for it.   HULK SMASH PRETTY BOY. "
#9 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

Zack Effron is... Deadpool.

Make it happen, Disney, make it happen.

#10 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -
@Nexas said:
" Spiderman in Kingdom Hearts 3. Make it happen. "
YES!
#11 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

so is Stan Lee enormously rich now?

#12 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

disney is evil

#13 Posted by ververdan0226 (1573 posts) -
Ughh....
#14 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -
@Nexas said:
Goofy to become an X-Man?  Professor X in the next Pixar flick?  Rampant speculation about something nobody knows anything about?
#15 Edited by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:

"so is Stan Lee enormously rich now? "

I don't think the man is a poor guy to begin with. 
As far as how much of a bite he gets from that transaction money, i don't know. 

#16 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @Nexas said:
YES! "
wolverine riding on dumbo fighting squall
#17 Posted by ververdan0226 (1573 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @Nexas said:
YES! "
wolverine riding on dumbo fighting squall "
Better yet, I want Mickey Mouse in The Avengers movie, coming 2012.
#18 Edited by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -
@WitchHunter_Z: I would sooner scalp Zac Efron.... and I don't even like dead pool but just the thought of him being a super hero... omfg I can't bear it... I hate that faggot.
#19 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -

NOOOOO!!!! I DON'T WANT WOLVERINE TO POLITICALLY CORRECT AND SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES!!!! 

#20 Edited by cspiffo (869 posts) -

My emotions are so conflicted right now.  It's awesome and terrifying all in one feeling.  

I guess only time will tell if this is a good thing or not.

#21 Posted by PenguinDust (12570 posts) -

Marvel has been troubled for years since the whole Toy Biz fiasco a decade ago.  The "Disney is evil" mantra is tired and empty considering that the company is far bigger than the facade of Mickey in short pants.  They are the number 2 media conglomerate in the world and number 1 in the United States.  If that scares you then it shouldn't be any more frightening than Time-Warner owning DC Comics. TW was number one but diversified its holdings and lost value dropping it to number three behind Rupert Murdoch's News Corps.  Now Marvel will have the financial security to expand and evolve as they grow into the future.  The question I would have is how will this effect something like Universal theme parks which feature rides based on Marvel Characters? 

#22 Posted by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -

I keep reading "Marvel" as "Mahvel" now. 

@PenguinDust said:

" The question I would have is how will this effect something like Universal theme parks which feature rides based on Marvel Characters?  "
Yeah, that sounds weird...will they all be disassembled and moved to Disneyland?
#23 Posted by Eisen (132 posts) -
@Bigandtasty said:
" I keep reading "Marvel" as "Mahvel" now. 

@PenguinDust said:
" The question I would have is how will this effect something like Universal theme parks which feature rides based on Marvel Characters?  "
Yeah, that sounds weird...will they all be disassembled and moved to Disneyland? "
I would assume that Disney would let them keep paying the licensing fees unless they ever want to make make their own Marvel based attractions.  I could see them making their Hollywood studies park into a more Marvel centric theme.
#24 Posted by alexl86 (627 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" Marvel has been troubled for years since the whole Toy Biz fiasco a decade ago.  The "Disney is evil" mantra is tired and empty considering that the company is far bigger than the facade of Mickey in short pants.  They are the number 2 media conglomerate in the world and number 1 in the United States.  If that scares you then it shouldn't be any more frightening than Time-Warner owning DC Comics. TW was number one but diversified its holdings and lost value dropping it to number three behind Rupert Murdoch's News Corps.  Now Marvel will have the financial security to expand and evolve as they grow into the future.  The question I would have is how will this effect something like Universal theme parks which feature rides based on Marvel Characters?  "
The difference is that Warner has owned DC for over 40 years now, and I think DC has done far better than Marvel when it comes to TV series(DCAU and Smallville, mostly) and Movies(Batman, Superman and Watchmen). I'll admit though, that Superman movies started to suck after Superman 3, and Batman & Robin is the worst comic-based movie of all time, but Marvel have had their share of awful movies too, so. 

I agree that this will give Marvel financial security. It also opens a lot of possibilities, since Disney have by far the best animators in the world. A pixar Spider-man movie, maybe?
#25 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" so is Stan Lee enormously rich now? "
I don't think he's been anything less since the 70s.
#26 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Disney vs. Marvel vs. Capcom. It's going to be great. 

But, yeah, I don't know what to think of this. I don't really read comics in the first place but will Goofy start making appearances in Spider-Man comics or something like that? If so....not cool.

#27 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Put it this way, pretty much nothing will change. If anything, the only thing that will happen is that Disney logos will appear on MARVEL products and maybe they'll do a few crossovers. Seriously, would Disney pay $4bn if they were going to mess with the formula? They bought Pixar and nothing has changed there either.

#28 Posted by Mowgers (388 posts) -

You're all missing the true crossover possibilities here! High School Musical 4: Carnage Goes Apeshit? Actually, that one basically sums up all my ideas, the worst elements of Disney marketing vs. Carnage.

#29 Posted by PenguinDust (12570 posts) -
@alexl86: 

Excellent point on the animation front.  Disney owns Pixar now after an uncomfortable splitting up a few years ago, plus they have access to stellar 2D animation studios as well.  Additionally, through their cable enterprises Disney can provide a home for any future Marvel based television program.  As far as DC vs Marvel on film however, Marvel has been the more successful of the two.  According to BoxOfficeMojo, of the top 25 comic-based movies made 12 are Marvel licenses while 7 come from DC brands.   Watchman could actually be considered a disappointment having an estimated production budget of 130 million but only returning 107 million domestically.  Admittedly, at lot of that has to do with the length of the film and the unfamiliar source material.

Since Disney owns both the Muppets and Marvel, how about my long dreamed of live action Peter Porker/SpiderHam movie?
#30 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
@baconbits33 said:
" NOOOOO!!!! I DON'T WANT WOLVERINE TO POLITICALLY CORRECT AND SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES!!!!  "
Then you should not watch the wolverine :- origins film
#31 Posted by Lashe (1258 posts) -

Wolverine in Kingdom Hearts 3. You heard it here first. 

#32 Posted by LincoIn (255 posts) -

I wonder if Disney will get Warren Spector to do any Marvel games. >_>

#33 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -
@OmegaPirate: I don't watch that movie, omfg that was terrible. I'm talking about the comics and anything more.
#34 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

This is fucking ridiculous...

#35 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Only 4 billion with all these characters and franchises? I remember Disney paid like 8 billion for Pixar a few years ago.
#36 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -

right, so can some link the source

#37 Edited by Halberdierv2 (1873 posts) -
#38 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I think this is pretty cool. You all take it like now there has to be crossovers like Mickey mouse partnering up with Wolverine or something.

#39 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@baconbits33 said:
" NOOOOO!!!! I DON'T WANT WOLVERINE TO POLITICALLY CORRECT AND SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES!!!!  "
Like when they released Pulp Fiction?
#40 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

As fun as these crossover ideas are, keep in mind that Warner Bros. owns DC Comics and they haven't done any ridiculous Bugs Bunny / Batman crossovers. It's unlikely that Disney would do that either.

#41 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

This news makes me so sad. :(

#42 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

W-What? Why? Are they not satisfied with how much damage they've caused us these past 50 years?! Must they inflict more?! They're both on the opposite sides of the spectrum in terms of EVERYTHING!

#43 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" W-What? Why? Are they not satisfied with how much damage they've caused us these past 50 years?! Must they inflict more?! They're both on the opposite sides of the spectrum in terms of EVERYTHING! "
You mean when they produced every Tarentino and Kevin Smith film? Is that the damage you're talking about? When they produced There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men? Yes, I agree, what Disney produces under Miramax and what Marvel represents couldn't be more different.
#44 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -
@ryanwho: Pulp Fiction was actually made by Miramax dude a subdivision of Disney, people don't actually refer to it as  being made by Disney, and remember there was a time when Miramax was an independent company, plus Disney had given miramax a pretty loose leash.
#45 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -
@ryanwho: It's just a bunch of disguises for Disney to sell the shit to us. Okay, that was a very stereotypical example but stereotypes exist for a reason. Argh, why can't all companies just concentrate on making good things? That's where the money's at!
#46 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@baconbits33 said:

" @ryanwho: Pulp Fiction was actually made by Miramax dude a subdivision of Disney, people don't actually refer to it as  being made by Disney, and remember there was a time when Miramax was an independent company, plus Disney had given miramax a pretty loose leash. "

Then  why are people bitching about the Marvel buyout if that's how they treat subsidiaries? Disney protects its image by releasing arthouse films under Miramax, but its all the same company dude.
Disney's a parent company and a subsidiary. You shouldn't confuse the parent company (which just bought Marvel) with the subsidiary(where they keep Mickey and company).
If the parent company was called Walt Media:parent to Disney, Miramax, Buena Vista,  Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Dreamworks,  and Marvel, people wouldn't even be bitching. The bitching comes from ignorance.
#47 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -
@ryanwho: While you are right, I wouldn't be scared of it if it wasn't for the fact that Disney is in the tank right now, since a lot of people hate them and they create a whole lot of flops, the reason they bought Marvel is because Marvel right now is a money powerhouse. However I just know that Disney is gonna start probing and making sure that the movies are done their way....
#48 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

"Their way", to me, means the special effects are up to snuff and they leave room for a sequel. Most production companies are like that right now, though. If you're trying to make a big budget arthouse flick, the recession isnt the time to do it. So yes, their movies will end happily, mostly, and leave room for a sequel, and have great special effects. I don't see how that's different than how the IPs are being run now, other than a lot of them just had terrible scripts that could only get better.

#49 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -

...so... Goodbye, Marvel Zombies? if so this fully sucks.

#50 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

LAME.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.