Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

a question

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jillsandwich

Hey guys, I just bought ME2 used at a local blockbuster for 9.99(hells yeah), and I really want to beat ME1 first and use a import character before I start up ME2, but ME1 is kind of a drag. Combat isn't much fun, being a total prick is great(I can't do anything different in a game that gives me moral choices), but the game just isn't very enjoyable, and I know ME2 will be much better. One of the things that drew me to this series is the concept of bringing one character through a trilogy of games, on your own path made by the choices you make, and I really want to start with ME1 for the purpose of fulfilling that concept(and for that achievement), but I'm getting too anxious. Thoughts? 

Also, first post. woot.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hourai

Keep on playing. Once you get to Virmire things start getting really epic. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Keep playing.  It's definitely worth it, and it gets quite epic.   

It's worth it to see the choices you make come through in the second, and to feel that Shepard is truly your character.

libidinous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By libidinous

It's funny that you bring this up because I recently started another playthrough after s-ranking ME2. If you're the type to be affected by getting into some kind of mood, see to it that your in an exploratory one. The thing that I'm finding in returning to the first game is that what the first game sets out to do is provide an encyclopedia to dig into. In the second game, the world is there and you're there, and its party time. The first game is tedious and somewhat dense. It reminds me of one of those books you read for school like the Great Gatsby where its mostly divorced from what's currently cool in that, if you get passed that feeling of "I have do this" you may connect with it in an academic kind of way. I don't know what I'm getting at here, its not always fun or particularly good, but it can be like caring for anything that's flawed, because you've developed some history. If getting that "complete experience" is something you really want, which I would support, then push on through it.

I would advice that you try and relax, get inquisitive, and just do the core story if you find yourself getting too anxious because it can be done in about ten hours, which is somewhat manageable.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dtat
    @libidinous said:
    " It's funny that you bring this up because I recently started another playthrough after s-ranking ME2. If you're the type to be affected by getting into some kind of mood, see to it that your in an exploratory one. The thing that I'm finding in returning to the first game is that what the first game sets out to do is provide an encyclopedia to dig into. In the second game, the world is there and you're there, and its party time. The first game is tedious and somewhat dense. It reminds me of one of those books you read for school like the Great Gatsby where its mostly divorced from what's currently cool in that, if you get passed that feeling of "I have do this" you may connect with it in an academic kind of way. I don't know what I'm getting at here, its not always fun or particularly good, but it can be like caring for anything that's flawed, because you've developed some history. If getting that "complete experience" is something you really want, which I would support, then push on through it.  I would advice that you try and relax, get inquisitive, and just do the core story if you find yourself getting too anxious because it can be done in about ten hours, which is somewhat manageable. "
    Pretty good assessment. It's true. Me1 spends a lot of time setting up the world. You should definitely play it first.
    jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jillsandwich

Thanks guys, sounds like finishing ME1 is what I'll have to do.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Best thing you could do is changing the setting to easy.

All the being evil, none of the combat.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By EVHKwick

They really begged to be played back-to-back. I really loved everything about the original Mass Effect, so I had never had this problem. 

And if you don't see yourself ever going back, make a couple of ME characters and tough it all out now so they'll all be there for the later installments.

carminescarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By carminescarf
    @jillsandwich:  You won't regret it.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By haggis

I went back and played ME1 the other day, and it wasn't so bad. Still, it's a bit slow and draggy compared to ME2. So if you're looking to blaze through, put it on easy and skip the side missions. But I'd definitely recommend going into ME2 with an ME1 character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " Best thing you could do is changing the setting to easy."
    This. Just put it on easy and breeze through the combat.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Baillie

I have been on the same boat for a long time. I bought ME1 at launch and never played it. ME2 came out and I decided to play ME1 to get the complete story, etc. My god is it hard to enjoy. I got to the first part with the mako, did a few things and turned it off. I would rather watch someone play it, doing it myself is a complete chore so far.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Junkerman
    @jillsandwich: Mass Effect 1 is very short, but it is definitely essential to your mass effect 2 experience.  I suggest just toughing it out if your not having the best of time.  It will all be worth it in the end.

My Mass Effect play-times on the first go:
     ME1:  17hrs 37mins.  That's without skipping dialog and reading codex entries and all that.  Side quests aren't worth doing in the least (plus they dont fit into the story in any logical way.)
    ME2: 39hrs 20mins.  The side quests are actually worth doing this time around, they range from action packed to creepy/atmospheric and each one is unique.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By BraveToaster
    @jillsandwich: Your username is the shit. 

RE ftw
    jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jillsandwich

LOL, thanks bro.@Axxol said:

" @jillsandwich: Your username is the shit.  RE ftw "
    LOL, thanks bro.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.