Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Anyone here hate how convos work?

hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hencook

The main problem with convo is that there's no incentive to make choices. At a certain point, you're choosing either blue or red dialogue choices, and the game rewards you for choosing red/blue.

So basically about everyone who understood the system just chose red or blue the entire game. Do you see where I'm going with this? You're not playing as yourself, you're playing as Mr. Paragon/Renegade. There is no shade of gray.

What do you guys think?
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Yeah, I've never been a fan of when games measure your morality in points or some shit like that.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By galiant

What annoys me is that I can't always tell if I've exhausted all conversation options. I would also enjoy more shades of gray!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

Whut? You don't like being able to change how the story develops? I don't understand what you are trying to say... You want a game where the story is completely scripted and you change absolutely no aspect of it?

hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hencook

No, I like being able to change how a story develops, but the game doesn't want you to do this.

The game only wants you to either go completely paragon or completely renegade. Think about it, if you chose a balance of renegade and paragon, then the blue and red choices would never appear during dialogue.

Bioware should have made it so that Blue and Red choices are made sparingly.... so that the more you choose the white options, the more "meter" you build and are then able to choose a red/blue option. That way you're able to feel strongly paragon or renegade about a few things, not EVERYTHING.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand what you're saying, but I didn't play it that way. I always chose the option that sounded most like what I would've said in that instance, regardless of whether it was a paragon or renegade option. 

If somebody did something to make me angry, then I'd probably let them know, but I wasn't a complete jerk all the time. My Shepherd just had a bit of a temper.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Kazona

I've never encountered this issue. I simply chose what I felt was the right thing to do, whether it was paragon or renegade.  

And yes, you actually can have a gray area. Depending on choices you make, both bars get filled up. So it's entirely possible to have half a paragon bar, and half a renegade bar, or anything in between. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

I just wish they wouldn't brightly colour the obvious Paragon/Renegade dialogue options. The other choices are there, but it's tough to have them stand out when you've got the flashing red/blue in your face. 

EDIT: God that makes me look I have ADD O.o... what I meant with my post is to not have the ''heroic/Asswipe'' options made so obvious. 

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By mazik765

I don't see how you can't choose with the way it is now. If you think a situation deserves more aggressive action, than choose renegade. If you think it requires a gentler touche, choose paragon. They are not making you pick a certain option just because they colour it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Its a bit narrow at times yeah, we need more middle ground or likewise stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think they should take the colors out, make the wheel place choices randomly, and remove the bars from the squad screen.  Choosing to undertake a Paragon or Renegade action should make you consider whether you're strong enough in your position to do so.  Right now, it tells you that you aren't before you even select it.

At the same time, I already choose my decisions based on what I think Shepard would do, not based on trying to min-max my stats.  Shepard is caring for those who require a soft touch, and hard-as-fucking-nails to criminals, mercenaries and anyone else who wants to be confrontational.  Shepard can give Tali a hug and be emotionally available with Liara, but then talk the most incredible trash on the Krogan homeworld and kneecap hostages if necessary.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By coaxmetal

You don't have to go completely paragon or renegade. The bars are separate, not a single spectrum. So you have have a high paragon and renegade score. I call it paragade, and that is how I play the game. You  might argue that I wouldn't be able to max out either, but what does maxing it out accomplish? I get both high enough that I can choose any paragon/renegade dialogue options I want.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Undeadpool

The Red/Blue thing doesn't come up all that much. It's more of a "charm" option or a speech check to see if you can talk your way through a bad situation (like Miranda and Jack fighting).
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @AlexW00d said:
    " Whut? You don't like being able to change how the story develops? I don't understand what you are trying to say... You want a game where the story is completely scripted and you change absolutely no aspect of it? "
    The problem is the paragon/renegade options basically do turn the game into a scripted affair where you have little control.  If you're a paragon you HAVE to pick the blue options, or you're going to lose points.  Dragon Age was far better in this regard, it didn't worry about whether you were "good or evil" and instead let you pick whatever options YOU thought were best and that was a much more rewarding experience, in my opinion.  Overall, I think Mass Effect was the better game, but I would love to see this improved in the third game.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah, I've never really liked it. It was worse in the first game, where the actual dialogue never really matched up with the choices you made.

hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hencook

You don't have to choose Renegade/Paragon all the way, and I applaud those who managed to play without doing so, BUT the game simply should not even have a paragon/renegade bar in the first place. It pushes people to become a character they're not.

If you want the paragon/renegade bar, then at least make it so that the player isn't pushed towards one or the other. I'm sure there's many red/blue options that let you fly past a problem or reward you extra for simply always choosing the same red/blue option the whole game.

If you played "you", great, but this thread's is questioning Mass Effect's design choices.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jozzy

Never thought about it this way, but you are totally right. On my paragon character I always chose the blue option, on my renegade I always chose the red option... 
    /sheep

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By valrog
    @hencook: Yes, and I hate Bioware for dumbing down the Dialog System and now others will start using it too.

Why can't we have normal Dialog System instead of this goddamn wheel like in Gothic/The Witcher/Risen/Dragon Age: Origins... We're not goddamn imbeciles, we can understand what each line will come out like instead of treating us like mentally retarded and giving us "Choose red or blu LOL!" treatment.

Fuck you Bioware!

@AlexW00d said:

" Whut? You don't like being able to change how the story develops? I don't understand what you are trying to say... You want a game where the story is completely scripted and you change absolutely no aspect of it? "

Facepalm.

@WinterSnowblind: Not going to happen mate, instead Dragon Age is getting this pathetic design as well.
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Vaile

Yeah, I hate the way ME2's dialogue system was designed in a way that if you didn't choose enough paragon/renegade options, you eventually couldn't choose them at all. 

I'd advocate a return to leveling them up as a skill, like in ME1.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eristocrat

OK, sure, it isn't perfect, but, I'd say it's the best way choice in dialogue has been rendered in game (Heavy Rain comes close). 

Also, maybe it's just because I super immerse myself in ME games but I have a "paragon" and a "renegade" Shep and with each I made a couple dozen or so choices (sometimes really big ones) that go against their "alignment". 

minorinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By minorinya
    @valrog: Dragon Age is?! That vagueness was one of my favorite things about Dragon Age... and why I replay it many more times than Mass Effect 2.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Demyx

I don't like it because it just tends to lead in one direction. Renegade Shepard still wants to save the world just as much as Paragon Shepard. They just have different ways of getting to the same ending. I want one ending to be helping the bad guys and the other ending to be stopping the bad guys. Thats the best game for me.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

I wouldn't say hate. Though I do get a chuckle out of people who think putting optional exposition on one side and color coded choices on the other is omg revolutionary. It was functional I guess. Just seemed really binary to me.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Animasta
    @Eristocrat said:
    " OK, sure, it isn't perfect, but, I'd say it's the best way choice in dialogue has been rendered in game (Heavy Rain comes close).  Also, maybe it's just because I super immerse myself in ME games but I have a "paragon" and a "renegade" Shep and with each I made a couple dozen or so choices (sometimes really big ones) that go against their "alignment".  "
    best way? no way, alpha protocol is the best way. the game part wasn't very good, but the dialogue system is the best I've seen in a video game yet.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cornman89

I'd hardly say it's something I hate, but I do think Bioware ought to move away from binary morality systems in the future. I'd be very disappointed if, after the ME trilogy's over, I ever run into text that is blue or red.

However. This is a totally different aspect, I know, but the best part of ME dialogue is that they make most expository dialogue optional. If I'm on my 2nd playthrough, or if I just don't need something explained, then I just don't choose the "investigate" option . It makes games without dialogue options feel unbearable at times.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
    @Demyx said:
    " I don't like it because it just tends to lead in one direction. Renegade Shepard still wants to save the world just as much as Paragon Shepard. They just have different ways of getting to the same ending. I want one ending to be helping the bad guys and the other ending to be stopping the bad guys. Thats the best game for me. "
    But then they couldn't bottleneck the beginning and end of each game to basically play out the same way no matter what you did. Their workaround for having choices that matter and a story is to make it so your choices don't matter to the main story, ever.
    eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By eristocrat

I haven't played AP so I can't argue with that.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cornman89
    @ryanwho:  I always saw the bottlenecking as a practical concession, but since there is no "next game" after ME3, Bioware can develop multiple threads without feeling compelled to tie them back together. Or so I assume.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho
    @Cornman89 said:
    " @ryanwho:  I always saw the bottlenecking as a practical concession, but since there is no "next game" after ME3, Bioware can develop multiple threads without feeling compelled to tie them back together. Or so I assume. "
    That would be what I'd hope too, but on the corporate end maybe they need an official endgame "canon" for the inevitable spinoffs. Hopefully they have the balls to actually make a game with divergent endings, I got my fingers crossed. Dragon Age did the Fallout style "heres some text and stills, the end" copout ending, but then ME is a bigger IP so maybe they'll try a bit more.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog
    @minorinya said:
    " @valrog: Dragon Age is?! That vagueness was one of my favorite things about Dragon Age... and why I replay it many more times than Mass Effect 2. "
    Yes, and unfortunately so might The Witcher 2. Which is why I hate Bioware. Hopefully Piranha Bytes won't start using the goddamn Wheel System Dialog or I'll really lose all hope in RPGs.
    overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By overbyte
    @Laketown said:

" @Eristocrat said:

" OK, sure, it isn't perfect, but, I'd say it's the best way choice in dialogue has been rendered in game (Heavy Rain comes close).  Also, maybe it's just because I super immerse myself in ME games but I have a "paragon" and a "renegade" Shep and with each I made a couple dozen or so choices (sometimes really big ones) that go against their "alignment".  "
    best way? no way, alpha protocol is the best way. the game part wasn't very good, but the dialogue system is the best I've seen in a video game yet. "
    I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the dialog timer forced on everything, although I have to admit it flows really smoothly when you see it in-game. Not being able to backtrack the dialog is a plus. From what I've seen with vids of The Witcher 2, it looks to be implementing the same "real-time" dialog in some parts as well (like a scene where the guards are about to hang someone and you need to talk them out of it). 

As for ME, I don't see a chance that it will ever go back to ambiguous dialog choices, as even Dragon Age 2 is getting the same dialog wheel. What I don't like about the current system is that it punishes you for not going a full-on paragon or renegade and picking your own choice. You simply don't get an alternate way to resolve things and instead either settle for a less-than-perfect conclusion or ride on the 2 morality rails. This is one situation where the ambiguity and the approval system of Dragon Age works better as you're forced to think about what you need to say instead of picking the blue/red one to instantly resolve a situation and probably some sweet gear.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jimbo

It doesn't give you enough freedom to roleplay your Shepard how you want to play him/her, because you feel obliged to go straight Paragon or straight Renegade.

I don't like putting a strict timer on choices like AP does either.  I like it in theory and it did work well most of the time, but the times when it didn't work were just annoying and destroyed any feeling of agency.  Sometimes you were presented with a handful of vague one word options and were expected to choose one before the NPC finished talking (to keep the conversation flowing naturally), except it was often impossible to decipher what the options even meant until the NPC got right to the end of their speech, so you were effectively just picking a response at random.  Having to watch while your character responds in a totally unintended way is far more jarring than just having the occasional pause in conversation, imo.  It's cool that they want to make it play out more like a real conversation, but IRL you don't have to process a UI before responding how you want to respond - they need to allow for that.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By Geno
    @hencook said:

There is no shade of gray.

Except for the 2-3 gray neutral options coupled with each paragon and renegade choice.  

My main problem with the conversations and Shepard's general demeanour is that you are given the opportunity to be non-consistent. You can flip back and forth between very compassionate and very cruel several times during a conversation. They should limit your choices more depending on which path you take your Shepard on from the beginning, otherwise the way some conversations play out isn't very cohesive. 
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By haggis

Well, you can play the game balanced between paragon or renegade, but the game punishes you for doing this later in the game when you start losing crew members because you don't have a high enough score either way. And there's no true benefit to playing as a neutral character. So yeah, generally it's best within the game as a system to play one way or the other. I think it's a legitimate complaint, though I understand why Bioware went in that direction. 

I would much rather have a more complicated system with a wider variety of responses, but the number of outcomes this would generate is so crazy that it would lead to the Fallout 3 problem, where the ending is not really coherent, just a rehashing of individual decisions you made that didn't actually change the ending all that much one way or the other. I'd be very happy with the lawful/neutral/chaotic and good/neutral/evil combinations, but that doesn't make coming up with a coherent ending much easier.

I think in an open-ended, non-narrative focused game, more options would be better. But Mass Effect is heavily scripted, and so the limited choices don't bother me so much. It's not our story, but Shepard's, and so our options are, sadly, more limited.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By damswedon

I think you just have to take Dragon Age's alignment system remove the ability to game it so much and have no Paragon vs Renegade meters. 
    But other than one renegade run for ME1 I've never played any games with moral choices without doing what I want not what would be good or evil in for good or evil's sake. When you really think about it this is Shepard's story not Damswedon the murderous prick's. Shepard has a job to do, stop the Reapers for the sake of the continuation of the galaxy. At most she will be an asshole to others but she is going to stop the Reapers. She isn't going to decide one day that  her goal in the Capital wastelands is to kill everyone and move their stuff to her house in Megaton.

lemonhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lemonhail
    @Laketown said:
    " @Eristocrat said:
    best way? no way, alpha protocol is the best way. the game part wasn't very good, but the dialogue system is the best I've seen in a video game yet. "
    Yup, alpha protocol had an excellent dialogue system.  
    The only thing that sucked was the timing of some decisions was inane, it forced you to answer quickly but i'd often hit the wrong button or some shit just because i was thinking 'OHMAHGOD IM PLAYING WARIO WARE'.  
    But yeah, timed choices and having set 'stances' is definitely a better system in my opinion.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By chrissedoff

i don't like the paragon/neutral/renegade arrangement, but i guess it is up to the individual to put alignment out of their mind and role-play their character. however, that is made significantly easier and more natural when the dialog options are arranged randomly and with more vagueness, like in dragon age.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By eristocrat

The only thing I would point out is that it isn't very hard to fill either the paragon or renegade meter while making a good 1/3 of your choices the exact opposite way.  Especially in ME2 there are SO many paragon and renegade points that with my renegade I almost maxed out both meters (and yes, I'm aware I'm a space boy scout).

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By Jost1

No it's the best conversation system in the history of games, so I pretty much adore it

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#40  Edited By Hector

If the options weren't colored and you weren't hinted at what is a good/bad option it would make the game much more compelling.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rjaylee
    @Hector said:
    " If the options weren't colored and you weren't hinted at what is a good/bad option it would make the game much more compelling. "
    I don't think you have to go entirely that far. If I remember correctly, the dialogue action in blue and/or red were only selectable if you had the appropriate number of paragon or renegade points. They weren't highlighted selections just to hint HEY PICK ME I'M THE GOOD GUY/BAD GUY CHOICE.

I think if anything, they need to incentivize the 'gray' choices a bit better, meaning you have to give the player more motivation to stray from the absolute polarized paths. I thought Dragon Age maybe handled it best out of the Bioware series, but I think they got away with a lot of it because they simply wrote deeper and more obscure dialogue trees, meaning key dialogue choices can get hidden from just one mishandled dialogue choice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.