Arrival DLC is less than an hour, thats disappointing.

• 97 results
#1 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

Its still a good piece of content but the length of it was disappointing because its pretty much just what they showed in the quicklook if you managed to catch that, when they said it was five chapters i thought 2-3 hours but i managed to complete it in 45 minutes.

#2 Posted by Yummylee (21502 posts) -

Took me about 1:10 mins on Hardcore difficulty, though even still the length is disappointing. It's overall not a very good piece of DLC - least of all something to end Mass Effect 2 with. Too much standard fare, and no inclusion of Ashley/Kaiden sucked =( The soundtrack is fucking brilliant, though, that much has to be said. A 3 star DLC imo all around.

#3 Edited by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

Yeah, I can't believe I stayed up for this and mini-reviewed it. Nothing special about this DLC really. But it reminded me that some Reapers were coming. Woop-de-doo.

#4 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Siiiiighhh

#5 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -

So for someone who thought Overlord and Shadow Broker were only DLC worth buying, this is a skip?

#6 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" Took me about 1:10 mins on Hardcore difficulty, though even still the length is disappointing. It's overall not a very good piece of DLC - least of all something to end Mass Effect 2 with. Too much standard fare, and no inclusion of Ashley/Kaiden sucked =( The soundtrack is fucking brilliant, though, that much has to be said. A 3 star DLC imo all around. "
yeh its not great, also why do Bioware need to do the whole " smashing an asteroid into something" in all their tie in DLC? 3stars for me as well
#7 Posted by Druminator (1676 posts) -

That sucks. Are there any new weapons or armor? If so, are they good?

#8 Posted by Yummylee (21502 posts) -
@Druminator said:
" That sucks. Are there any new weapons or armor? If so, are they good? "
No new weapons/armour, though there's a few research projects like (yet another) increase heavy weapons capacity/Shepard's health ect.
#9 Posted by Druminator (1676 posts) -
@Abyssfull:  Aw that is disappointing.
#10 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -
@salad10203 said:
" So for someone who thought Overlord and Shadow Broker were only DLC worth buying, this is a skip? "
probably and that makes me sad because i even enjoyed kasumi
#11 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @Druminator said:
" That sucks. Are there any new weapons or armor? If so, are they good? "
No new weapons/armour, though there's a few research projects like (yet another) increase heavy weapons capacity/Shepard's health ect. "
i barely touched the damn heavy weapons yet i have 6 or 7 upgrades for the ammo capacity. a new weapon would have been nice thats what made the Kasumi pack all the sweeter for me.
#12 Posted by Druminator (1676 posts) -

I'm going to pass on this but I was wondering is there any link to ME3? I don't mind spoilers.

#13 Posted by damswedon (3185 posts) -
#14 Posted by rosebud04 (360 posts) -

it reminds me a lot of overlord, but with more overall Impact to the mass effect Universe 

#15 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -

Is it disappointing DLC for Mass Effect 2, or just disappointing DLC in general. 

Of course, this is coming from someone who relatively enjoyed Bring Down the Sky.

#16 Edited by innacces14 (735 posts) -

I think it definitely warrants 3/5 stars. Though I am glad that it was more Mass Effect I can't help but feel that it needed something spectacular to impact the story like Shadow Broker did.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think this is bad content *cough*capcom*clears throat*. Though it gives the player the opportunity to make whatever class he/she picked shine by pitting them in situations that warrants an entire squad I just feel that this was really b-side material; safe and unambitious.

#17 Edited by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

Gameplay-wise it's pretty forgettable. If it had some interesting characters or new gameplay mechanics I would have liked it a lot more, but as it stands it's just a bit too dull. It does tie into Mass Effect 3, though:

#18 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -
#19 Posted by damswedon (3185 posts) -

Arrival was longer for me than any of the other missions in Mass Effect 2.

#20 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Eh, I may as well get this for completion's sake. 

#21 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -
@damswedon said:
" Arrival was longer for me than any of the other missions in Mass Effect 2. "  
it wasnt even half as long as any other DLC for me with the exception of Kasumi.
#22 Posted by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

G'damn it, Bioware.

#23 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

What a forgettable piece of DLC.

#24 Posted by Slaker117 (4838 posts) -

Yeah. Kind of not good. If you don't absolutely need every last bit of Mass Effect you can get, maybe save your money.

#25 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

As I wrote in my review. Don't pick this up day one if you're on the fence. It's pretty much possible to buy cheap and finish while you wait for ME3 to install to the HDD, if that would have been possible to do of course.
Too short and rather forgettable, unfortunately. Mostly sad to see that Kaidan and Ashley didn't get any DLC love.

#26 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10905 posts) -

I wish they'd stop putting Achievements into this stuff if it's going to be short and whatnot. Now I have to play it to get my S-Rank back (and yes, I HAVE to get it back). 

#27 Edited by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -
@Vaile said:

" Is it disappointing DLC for Mass Effect 2, or just disappointing DLC in general.  Of course, this is coming from someone who relatively enjoyed Bring Down the Sky. "

That's like the most slagged Bio-Ware DLC but I really don't see what made it so bad.  I enjoyed it as well.  Heck, with the combat being so much better in ME2 I wouldn't mind if they put out something like the combat simulator DLC from ME2, as long as the rules to the modes actually worked this time and there were leaderboards.

@PhatSeeJay said:
" Too short and rather unforgettable, unfortunately. "
That sounds awesome

@MooseyMcMan: I think that when they see people saying, "I won't like this, I know I will hate this but I'm going to spend money on it anyways" they're guaranteed to keep attaching achievements to it.
#28 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (759 posts) -

Awesome that they got Lance Henriksen as Admiral Hackett back for this DLC. Other than that, not impressed, way too short and not much content on it.

#29 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

Guess I'll pick up the Assassins Creed Brotherhood DLC then. 

#30 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

I was a bit worried about this ever since I heard it was 560 points instead of shadow broker's 800, I was hoping at least the story or characters were going to be interesting even if they didn't mix anything up in terms of the enemies or destinations. All you seem to get out of if is perhaps one race won't like you very much in the next game which is a weird reward for buying the DLC. Pretty disappointing overall really, I may replay it to try and get the achievements (I don't like looking at the before hand  due to the potential spoilers they sometimes give away so didn't know the requirements to get them until completing the dlc)  I suppose I'm lucky it was so short in that respect.

#31 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -

Wow.. really? I guess now we know why they had pull that video. It showed at least half of this DLC.

#32 Edited by Rohok (554 posts) -

I really don't like long games. That being said, I don't like short games that are charged as full price. Nor do I like short DLCs that are charged normal DLC price. At least it's cheaper. Regardless, for completion sake, I have to get it, lol.

It can't be as bad as that DLC that added the stupid training facility to Mass Effect 1.

#33 Posted by nick_verissimo (1383 posts) -

Too bad...I guess I'll wait until after finals to play it.

#34 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
" As I wrote in my review. Don't pick this up day one if you're on the fence. It's pretty much possible to buy cheap and finish while you wait for ME3 to install to the HDD, if that would have been possible to do of course. Too short and rather forgettable, unfortunately. Mostly sad to see that Kaidan and Ashley didn't get any DLC love. "
DLC rarely goes on sale. And if it does, it's usually a one time thing, then it's back to the original price. Those old ass ME1 DLCs were still full price the day ME2 came out.
#35 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@sixghost said:
" @PhatSeeJay said:
" As I wrote in my review. Don't pick this up day one if you're on the fence. It's pretty much possible to buy cheap and finish while you wait for ME3 to install to the HDD, if that would have been possible to do of course. Too short and rather forgettable, unfortunately. Mostly sad to see that Kaidan and Ashley didn't get any DLC love. "
DLC rarely goes on sale. And if it does, it's usually a one time thing, then it's back to the original price. Those old ass ME1 DLCs were still full price the day ME2 came out. "
Fine then I'll rephrase it since it was more important to pick on that specific part.
Wait for whatever sale-campaign Sony/Microsoft/Bioware comes up with. There's no point in investing in it full price if you're on the fence.
#36 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -
@DougQuaid said:
" Wow.. really? I guess now we know why they had pull that video. It showed at least half of this DLC. "
it really did, what you seen was pretty much it except for one sequence.
#37 Posted by AmericanNinja (157 posts) -

cant wait to get this!

#38 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

The coolness factor is great, but its bloody short.

#39 Posted by kyrieee (379 posts) -

The issue with this DLC isn't even the length, the lack of a squad or the lack of voice acting, it's the lack of CHOICE. I'm really pissed off at the situation my Shepard is in now.

#40 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

It's very similar to Overlord, I'd say it's worth getting if you enjoyed that.  Personally, I thought the story here was a lot more effective.  It's something we already know about and it's building up to future events.. rather than being a side quest involving unknown characters, like Overlord was.  

I liked how it set up some pretty serious consequences for ME3 as well.

#41 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -

I don't really have much faith in Bioware DLC. I'll wait till it goes on sale if it's that short.

#42 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -
@damswedon said:
But you had to pay $7 for it.
#43 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

I just finished it, and yeah I pretty much have all the same complaints as you guys. It was too short for $7, it lacked a squad, etc. At least I got points for beating it...

#44 Posted by Yummylee (21502 posts) -
@kyrieee said:
" The issue with this DLC isn't even the length, the lack of a squad or the lack of voice acting, it's the lack of CHOICE. I'm really pissed off at the situation my Shepard is in now. "
I agree. I really disliked how 

#45 Posted by Kiro (288 posts) -

thoughts on the choices in the DLC:

Don't bother with this DLC, you don't have to pay 560 points to know that the reapers, are indeed coming.
#46 Posted by damswedon (3185 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
" @damswedon said:
But you had to pay $7 for it. "
Well £4.76 for DLC that I had more fun playing than going to see a film like Paul which would of cost £8.05
#47 Posted by project343 (2817 posts) -

My favourite part was when I shot a flamethrower canister on a guy and then biotic-pulled him into another group of guys. And that was about it. *sigh*

#48 Posted by JoeyRavn (4966 posts) -

Yeah, I agree with everything you said. I don't know why, but Bioware has been quite bad with the final piece of DLC for their games recently. Yes. Witch Hunt.

#49 Posted by Juvarial (305 posts) -

What a clusterfuck. 

#50 Posted by Yummylee (21502 posts) -
@m0rdr3d said:
" So is everyone in agreement that this is definitely the last DLC for Mass Effect 2? "
I certainly hope so. Besides the fact that the DLC is astonishingly plain, and near pointless in the grand scheme, ME2's shooting hasn't aged well at all. It wasn't all that brilliant to begin with, but was still made to be fun in the context of it all, and helped break it up with the dialogue trees and light puzzle solving ect, in between; playing it now in March 2011, the combat feels much more like a chore and its many faults stand-out all the more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.