Arrival is my favourite DLC... is there something wrong with me?

#1 Posted by Hyuzen (444 posts) -

Yes its true, but that comes with a couple caveats. I haven't tried Overlord or Kasumi's dlc, so really the only other dlc i've played beyond the free stuff is Lair of the Shadow Broker. And I didn't enjoy liar of the shadow broker very much. Arrival took me longer to finish than shadow broker did, the combat was (for once) stronger than before in Arrival. The stakes were high, I thought the setpieces were more interesting in arrival, and come on... who wouldn't want to destroy a mass relay??

In shadow broker I thought the story was very lame, I enjoyed getting a bunch of goodies at the end but thats about it. I felt like I had wasted money after playing through Shadow Broker. I feel like there is more that can impact the story for ME3.
Of course I'll probably be disappointed by ME3, because I can't see them modifying the opening of the game based on if the reapers would arrive almost immediately vs. the reapers finding some other way to travel across the galaxy some time later.

But thats neither here nor there. Am I the only person who found Arrival better than Liar of the Shadow Broker? or at least someone else who didn't love the Shadow Broker dlc like I did? I still can't believe it won the best downloadable content on giantbomb... or was it 2nd place? either way, still crazy to me
#2 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

I don't agree but i see the merit in Arrival, i certainly don't outright hate it like it seems many people do.

#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

I like it.

Lots of people turned on Bioware this year.
#4 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -

I thought it was a really poor finale, but I'm glad some people got enjoyment out of it.

#5 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" I don't agree but i see the merit in Arrival, i certainly don't outright hate it like it seems many people do. "
This.
#6 Edited by Yummylee (21270 posts) -

I genuinely can't understand why anyone would enjoy Arrival over any of the previous DLC, or even just enjoy it, tbh. The story was bleh, the combat was monotonous, made more so by the solo outing, and minus Admiral Hackett finally being given a face (or at least a modified Zaeed face), there's nothing in here that stands out amongst the plenty other Mass Effect 2 DLC packs.

#7 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1255 posts) -

For me, the ending of Arrival was the only great point of that DLC.

Lair of the Shadow Broker felt more of a complete experience. It almost had a 3 act story structure.
#8 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

I thought it was pretty good. I think Shadow Broker was still the better expansion, but the difference in quality between those two is not as large as some people seem to think. Specifically, for those who've complained about the length of Arrival, go back and play Shadow Broker. You can easily beat it in an hour or two.

#9 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -
@Hyuzen said:
" Yes its true, but that comes with a couple caveats. I haven't tried Overlord or Kasumi's dlc, so really the only other dlc i've played beyond the free stuff is Lair of the Shadow Broker. And I didn't enjoy liar of the shadow broker very much. Arrival took me longer to finish than shadow broker did, the combat was (for once) stronger than before in Arrival. The stakes were high, I thought the setpieces were more interesting in arrival, and come on... who wouldn't want to destroy a mass relay??

In shadow broker I thought the story was very lame, I enjoyed getting a bunch of goodies at the end but thats about it. I felt like I had wasted money after playing through Shadow Broker. I feel like there is more that can impact the story for ME3.
Of course I'll probably be disappointed by ME3, because I can't see them modifying the opening of the game based on if the reapers would arrive almost immediately vs. the reapers finding some other way to travel across the galaxy some time later.

But thats neither here nor there. Am I the only person who found Arrival better than Liar of the Shadow Broker? or at least someone else who didn't love the Shadow Broker dlc like I did? I still can't believe it won the best downloadable content on giantbomb... or was it 2nd place? either way, still crazy to me
"
not all all dude, if you love the combat it makes sense you would like this better though shadow broker has some nice sequences too
#10 Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

I'm glad someone see's something of worth in that hour because I certainly don't, I always play through the DLC on play throughs of ME2 that I do once in a while but I certainly won't be playing through that rubbish of 'content' again.

#11 Posted by Mike76x (555 posts) -

I'm admitted Bioware fanboy, I tend like all their games and DLC.
That said...
I didn't like going solo, getting outflanked every 3 seconds seriously pisses me off.
There were barely any indicators to tell me where to go, and I get lost constantly in games with maps.
The enemies were shooting me from cover. Since when can they blind-fire?
When enemies were in cover I was shooting their arms and legs that were sticking out and NOTHING
and finally...
Whoever thought the flamethrowers were a good idea needs a good shot in the nuts.
I'm not talking "funniest home videos" style I mean MMA ground and pound for a full 60 seconds...minimum.

#12 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

I mean, if you honestly had that experience with Arrival--and managed to put more time into it than Shadow Broker whilst still enjoying its novelty--then, no, there's nothing wrong with you. 

I'd actually probably take Overlord over either of them, although Shadow Broker's probably the freshest of the three experiences, from an objective standpoint (unique art direction, massive expansion of canon, the fight with the Vanguard). 
#13 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -

I didn't have any strong opinions on Arrival one way or the other, but it was a bit shorter than I would've liked, and I didn't like leaving my team behind.

I like where they seem to be heading for Shepard in regards to the opening of ME3 though. Chrono Trigger did that plot point well, and hopefully ME3 let's you make a case for yourself, too.
#14 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -
@Wrighteous86 said:
I like where they seem to be heading for Shepard in regards to the opening of ME3 though. Chrono Trigger did that plot point well, and hopefully ME3 let's you make a case for yourself, too.
"
Fuck that. I'll be Renegade-triggerin' my way through that shit. 

THROWING ELBOWS, SUCKA.
#15 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
"
Fuck that. I'll be Renegade-triggerin' my way through that shit. 

THROWING ELBOWS, SUCKA.
"
If the glove does not fit, I don't give a shit!
#16 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I think Shadow Broker is my favorite Mass Effect mission so far, and my favorite piece of DLC for any game yet. Just the pacing, intensity, and overall polish are pretty much unparalleled by almost anything else I've played this generation, downloadable or not. However, I don't hate Arrival at all. It was a little sloppy in spots, but it was a nice bridge, and the stakes were indeed high.

#17 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

I thought that it was their weakest DLC. I liked Shadow Broker because of the end and afterwards mostly. I had also been wanting Liara in my party for a long time, even though she doesn't stay. Arrival was short and not really very interesting. I thought that the Reaper conversation at the end was meaningless as well. As Brad says, Mass Effect 2 went out with a whimper, not a bang.

#18 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

Shadow Broker's ending was pretty good, but in terms of continuity I think The Arrival is one piece of DLC that needs to be played because it sets everything up for 3 and we all know Shepherd is going to have to come to earth eventually.  Arrival puts him there.

People who avoid it are just ruining it for themselves.  It's enjoyable enough for what you pay.

#19 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Shadow Broker>

Stolen Memory>
Arrival>
Overlord>
>
>
>
Zaeed
#20 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
Why does everyone feel the need to be so critical to each dlc?  If you play dlc in a vacuum none of it is particularly well done in ME2 or basically any other game.

The dlc adds to the over all game.  It is unfortunate that they get released in stand alone packs because that inherently encourages players to load up the game and play that one side mission before turning the game off again.

I've been very satisfied with all the DLC but I started a new game which merged the dlc into the over all experience.
#21 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -

I liked Arrival, had its own flavour. I'm biased when I say I liked Shadowbroker more, but different strokes for different folks.

#22 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" minus Admiral Hackett finally being given a face (or at least a modified Zaeed face), "
Oh god, you're right!
#23 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

It reminded me of Pinnacle Station for some reason. That is saying alot

#24 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Teran said:
" Why does everyone feel the need to be so critical to each dlc?  If you play dlc in a vacuum none of it is particularly well done in ME2 or basically any other game.

The dlc adds to the over all game.  It is unfortunate that they get released in stand alone packs because that inherently encourages players to load up the game and play that one side mission before turning the game off again.

I've been very satisfied with all the DLC but I started a new game which merged the dlc into the over all experience.
"
We are still paying for something. We expect what we purchase to be worth the value. The DLC are build for standalone missions, not as a sidequest for ME2. Lair of the Shadow Broker was simply amazing, standalone, unique and well done. This though felt like a sloppy mess made from the B-team, which it actually was
#25 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@Dany: I don't know what thought process got you to that conclusion but it would be difficult to find a statement further from reality than yours.

If you believe the ME2 DLC are built to be standalone missions why then are none of them built to be standalone missions?  You can't load up ME2 and play those missions without the rest of the game and gain a firm grasp of what is going on in the game.  Additionally, Bioware didn't promise one thing and deliver another.  There was no deception and as an informed consumer you knew whether the dlc would suit your tastes before making the purchase.

I and thousands of other people feel it was worth the value because we don't have ridiculous expectations and all the dlc is generally the same quality as the rest of the game.
#26 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

I've just have to say the level design on Lair was amazing.  I thought it brought a lot to the combat, and the story I think will play really well into the third installment.  

#27 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

I thought it was the worst DLC for ME2 personally. I think it does hold the most importance due to the story link between ME2 and ME3, but other than that it feels rushed. The animations for some of the 'new' enemies/characters were either bad looking or noticeably recycled. The fights were too easy, the stealth (not a good part of the game to focus on) was too easy. I really didn't feel like I was playing ME2, at first I thought it was a good reason to get back into ME2, but I was sadly mistaken.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.