Best class for Insanity?

#1 Edited by BigAT (70 posts) -

I'm about to start an attempt at Insanity in Mass Effect 2 and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which class I should start out with? 

I went through as a Vanguard on my first playthorugh, but I recognize that would be a disastrous choice for Insanity. 

Any advice is welcome, as well as any tips for Insanity in general. 

EDIT: Sorry, this was meant for the Mass Effect 2 forum.  I apologize for it ending up here, I'm still new to the forum functionality.  Mods, please lock/delete/move.

#2 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Yeah, Vanguard would actually be the worst possible choice. Soldier or Infiltrator is the way to go. Kill from distance as much as possible and you'll cruise. Insanity isn't all that bad really.

#3 Posted by Laticsfan (596 posts) -
@BigAT: Don't worry about the thread being here, there's a bug that bumps threads to GD.
#4 Edited by Garrus (543 posts) -

Infiltrator. Widow Sniper Rifle. 

#5 Edited by xyzygy (9625 posts) -

Infiltrator. Cloaking is your best friend. So is the Widow.

I played my first Insanity run as an Adept though and let me tell you, it was one hell of a fun ride. You really get to know all your powers and when to use them very well.

#6 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

Any class will work on Insanity. Even Vanguard (that's what I did for insanity). Pick the class that best fits your playstyle. Going Infiltrator is the popular choice, but that class's playstyle may not be enjoyable to you. There are plenty of good strategy videos on Youtube for all of the classes.

#7 Posted by HistoryInRust (6215 posts) -
@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:
" Yeah, Vanguard would actually be the worst possible choice.
It's really not.  Check the video (which, by the way, isn't some hyper-skilled dude showing off--it's a pretty standard Vanguard player doing what Vanguards do best).

#8 Edited by xyzygy (9625 posts) -
@ricetopher said:

" Any class will work on Insanity. Even Vanguard (that's what I did for insanity). Pick the class that best fits your playstyle. Going Infiltrator is the popular choice, but that class's playstyle may not be enjoyable to you. There are plenty of good strategy videos on Youtube for all of the classes. "

Actually, I find that a lot of people play Soldiers. I don't know why you'd want to play a soldier in ME2, but whatevs. 

@Sir_Ragnarok: Wow. That looks awesome. I really need to pick up on my Vanguard and learn how to play like that. I tend to forget about my Charge.
#9 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @ricetopher said:
" Any class will work on Insanity. Even Vanguard (that's what I did for insanity). Pick the class that best fits your playstyle. Going Infiltrator is the popular choice, but that class's playstyle may not be enjoyable to you. There are plenty of good strategy videos on Youtube for all of the classes. "
Actually, I find that a lot of people play Soldiers. I don't know why you'd want to play a soldier in ME2, but whatevs. "
Yeah, I actually know two people who went Solider. Seems pretty boring to me.
#10 Posted by HistoryInRust (6215 posts) -
@xyzygy: And that's not even close to the ceiling of the Vanguard's potential.  

That'd be this:  

#11 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: That vanguard against the collosus is utterly ridiculous...

But in response to the original question - i went through as an infiltrator and only really had issues on horizon with the rest of the game being clear sailing (just be careful when you go round corners, because you are useless in close quarters with an insanity infiltrator).
#12 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1852 posts) -

I keep almost, almost doing it...then backing off from Insanity. Hopefully the above comments represent a real chance for my Soldier, who is almost at level 30 after my Normal playthrough anyways.

#13 Posted by VinceIE (7 posts) -

As long as you know how to play whatever class you're doing, they're all very doable and enjoyable on Insanity.  But my personal favorite is by far the Infiltrator.  Pure awesome :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.