Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Blown away by Mass Effect

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Wuddel

So I spend most of the last week evenings and an incredible "I have no life, I am a geek."-weekend on Mass Effect 1&2. I know I am late to the party. Obviously I am through with 1, and I think I am at least in the last third of the second game. I yet have to complete three loyalty missions and then await the installation of the reaper IFF. I am happy that I continuously played this on the 360, so I could transfer my safe file. I own ME1 for PC, and there was the option of playing the second on the PS3, which probably would have saved me quite a bit of money on the DLC (got all story DLC), but at the end of the day would have sucked to use a predetermined backstory in 2.  

The way I play RPGs (good guy, always get the 'charisma/persuasion' stat up as high and soon as possible) a playthrough evolved, that might not be possible with the comic In the QuickLook video. Most notably I talked Wrex into trusting me. I am not happy with how Ashley was handled. I got flirty with her, but we never kissed, and I politely turned her down before Ilos. My Shepard really did not dig her being a xenophobic space redneck. But in ME2 her picture was on the table and the whole scene on Horizon was (probably) as if we would have a "full relationship". I am currently with Miranda.

I will continue with this save in ME3, to have a "natural playthrough", but I see myself playing through all games again so I can get the outcome/romance that suits my ridiculously nice Shepard, including a Happy End and him being completely faithful the whole adventure through.. (If they do not employ the "Protagonist sacrifices himself in final mission" plot element. Which is overused IMHO.) 

I might try "Insane" on all of them, at some point, but I am not sure if it is feasible with a class other than soldier. The controls and generally the combat in ME1 were terrible. But I played on normal and set powers to active. After some upgrades Wrex and Tally were doing most of the killing. Including the final boss. I doubt you can do this with a Shepard that is as sturdy as the Soldier. And on the other hand: In ME2 I am doing most of the killing, I am not sure if other classes have the firepower e.g. against heavy mechs.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Wuddel

So I spend most of the last week evenings and an incredible "I have no life, I am a geek."-weekend on Mass Effect 1&2. I know I am late to the party. Obviously I am through with 1, and I think I am at least in the last third of the second game. I yet have to complete three loyalty missions and then await the installation of the reaper IFF. I am happy that I continuously played this on the 360, so I could transfer my safe file. I own ME1 for PC, and there was the option of playing the second on the PS3, which probably would have saved me quite a bit of money on the DLC (got all story DLC), but at the end of the day would have sucked to use a predetermined backstory in 2.  

The way I play RPGs (good guy, always get the 'charisma/persuasion' stat up as high and soon as possible) a playthrough evolved, that might not be possible with the comic In the QuickLook video. Most notably I talked Wrex into trusting me. I am not happy with how Ashley was handled. I got flirty with her, but we never kissed, and I politely turned her down before Ilos. My Shepard really did not dig her being a xenophobic space redneck. But in ME2 her picture was on the table and the whole scene on Horizon was (probably) as if we would have a "full relationship". I am currently with Miranda.

I will continue with this save in ME3, to have a "natural playthrough", but I see myself playing through all games again so I can get the outcome/romance that suits my ridiculously nice Shepard, including a Happy End and him being completely faithful the whole adventure through.. (If they do not employ the "Protagonist sacrifices himself in final mission" plot element. Which is overused IMHO.) 

I might try "Insane" on all of them, at some point, but I am not sure if it is feasible with a class other than soldier. The controls and generally the combat in ME1 were terrible. But I played on normal and set powers to active. After some upgrades Wrex and Tally were doing most of the killing. Including the final boss. I doubt you can do this with a Shepard that is as sturdy as the Soldier. And on the other hand: In ME2 I am doing most of the killing, I am not sure if other classes have the firepower e.g. against heavy mechs.

ant0ni00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ant0ni00

This game is pretty awesome. I never had the pleasure of playing the first game, however, I did watch an entire playthrough of it online (not even close to the same thing, I know). I bought ME2 for PS3 and have been completed enveloped in the narrative. I've completely geeked out on planet scanning/raping and reading every entry in the codex. Aside from Eezo, I have about one million of each element. Playing on normal as a Sentinal so far has been a cakewalk. I plan on replaying on insane difficulty as a soldier now that I know exactly what needs to be done and the order I want to do things in 

I had to replay 10 hours of this game because I didn't save and left my PS3 on while I was at work. My wife turned it off while cleaning. Yep, that happened. Anyway, I actually enjoyed the replay of that time even more than the first time. That is how awesome ME2 is. This will likely be the only PS3 game I'll get a platinum trophy on.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

I heart Mass Effect.  

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Playing ME1 was the first game since the release of the x360/ps3 that made me think: Alright, we hit next gen!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Aetheldod

Its a lie that you can only do insane with soldier class , I proudly played it with a Vanguard (my fav class) and never thouht that it was impossible as must people claim. Its good that some folks likes both games for what they are and not complain about "they stripped the RPG elements wah wah wha" comments. Mass Effect 3 cant come any sooner

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I heard Mass Effect 2's pretty good!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dany
    @Aetheldod
    Its a lie that you can only do insane with soldier class , I proudly played it with a Vanguard (my fav class) and never thouht that it was impossible as must people claim. Its good that some folks likes both games for what they are and not complain about "they stripped the RPG elements wah wah wha" comments. Mass Effect 3 cant come any sooner
    Same, vanguard on insanity was easy with Miranda and mordrin/thane by my side with full ice ammo
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jozzy

I finished insane with a Sentinel, which as far as I heard is the easiest class for it. I can imagine it's true, because with the awesome shield and access to the major shield, barrier and armor removing abilities you are one mean insane killing machine.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By hexx462
    @Aetheldod said:
    " Its a lie that you can only do insane with soldier class , I proudly played it with a Vanguard (my fav class) and never thouht that it was impossible as must people claim."
    It's not impossible, but it's extremely difficult. I need to go back and try it again, I lost patience on my attempt. It'll probably be a lot easier after having done it on a soldier since I know what I'm in for.  Because playing a Vanguard is the best way to play ME.
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By kyrieee

I thought playing as an Adept was easier than playing as a Sentinel. Yes, the Sentinel can take more damage, but the Adept can kill stuff faster and has a great crowd control so it evens out. Personally I wouldn't want to play a Soldier on Insanity, the other classes are much more fun.

JayDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JayDubya

Finished it twice on the 360 and tempted to get it on PS3 as well. 
    This was, without a question of a doubt, the best game of 2010. 
    Glad you're enjoying it.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wuddel

Yeah, I am really looking forward to playing a new class. But I will do this after my "natural playthrough" of the third game. Certainly a class with some tech abilities. Hacking is so good in the first game... 

@TaliciaDragonsong: Really? The only thing I was thinking was: "Man, we are overdue for a new console generation." That we hit a different "dimension" in terms of production value and costs has occurred to me since GTA4. In terms of looks it was Killzone 2. The controls really overshadowed my ME1 experience also. Furthermore I played Dragon Age Origins already on the PC. 

Note to ME2: The stuff with the hoovertank. NOT GOOD! The thing has papert-hin armor, and you can not even save in the missions.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By ptys

I'm like you, I only recently played through ME1 with a fresh Shepard after having played ME2 when it was released early last year. Importing my FemShep and seeing how she had changed has to be one of the highlights of my gaming life and there are so many little nic/nax throughout the game that you just wouldn't understand if you haven't played the first!

P.S. Last 2 missions in ME1 are my favourite of the whole series... Such a good game.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By emem
    @Dany said:

" @Aetheldod

Same, vanguard on insanity was easy with Miranda and mordrin/thane by my side with full ice ammo "
    Same here, loved the flying around and punching "things" in some levels.
    Steveolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Steveolio
    ME2 has quickly become my all time favorite game, except for the planet scanning.  UGH!
    Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jaktajj

Word. after playing it for the past two weeks I really feel like Mass Effect 2 is this console generation's Final Fantasy 7 / Metal Gear Solid / Deus Ex / Resident Evil 1 / Duke Nukem 3D / GTA: San Andreas.

I can see this game sticking in my mind for a long, long time to come!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.