Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Buying Mass Effect 2 New

Ntmanning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ntmanning

I keep seeing that the Cerberus Network shut down on January 1st. So if I buy a new version of Mass Effect 2 that is listed as having:

6+ Hours of Bonus Missions Included....etc

Does that mean I'm not getting all this extra content if I buy it new? I have a friend who will give me the game for free, but I would be willing to pay so I can get the extra content.

Thanks

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I'd take it for free. The extra content probably wouldn't be worth it, and if you really want it you can pay a bit of money for it instead of spending full price.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

The free stuff that was added through the Cerberus Network certainly wasn't anything to write home about. Trust me when I say that you're not missing much.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#4  Edited By strangeling

I bought mine used, but it still had the redemption code in the case. It states in the small print "SINGLE-USE CEREBERUS NETWORK CODE IS ENCLOSED WITH NEW, FULL RETAIL PURCHASE AND EXPIRES JANUARY 1, 2012." So none of the codes will work any more, even if they're from a new, sealed game.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By napalm

@strangeling: Is there are recourse for acquiring a new code without having to throw down money? A new copy is included with a free code, but I can see EA straight up saying, "fuck you, buy a new one."

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By laserbolts

What is the content? I bought mine new but I can't remember if I even redeemed the code.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By AngelN7

If you buy the game new and your code doesn't work ( mine worked and I got my game for PS3 after January 1 2012) you should contact with EA support and get a new one.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By volemaulder

I think there are a couple of stuff worth playing. Kasumi is worth it for the Locust gun alone and Overlord is pretty good. Firewalker not so much, but I liked the change of pace once in a while. The Cerberus Arc weapon is also very useful, especially if you plan to play on higher difficulties. I don't remember what came free with the Cerberus card, though. Anyway, you can still get the free stuff if you buy it new. The whole "Cerberus Network is down" means there won't be any news and updates on the Cerberus terminal in the main menu. You won't be missing anything important, it was there just for immersion purposes.

Lemonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lemonhead

Mass Effect 2 on steam came with some pretty forgettable extra stuff, not sure if those are still redeemable, but I only just got around to buy all the DLC when Mass Effect 3 arrived, so those are definitely still available. If you want all the stuff, I think your best bet is to buy it on Steam, and the the DLC from the bioware site. I could register and play all the DLC a few months ago, so cerberus network being down did not affect them.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AngelN7

@VoleMaulder said:

I think there are a couple of stuff worth playing. Kasumi is worth it for the Locust gun alone and Overlord is pretty good. Firewalker not so much, but I liked the change of pace once in a while. The Cerberus Arc weapon is also very useful, especially if you plan to play on higher difficulties. I don't remember what came free with the Cerberus card, though. Anyway, you can still get the free stuff if you buy it new. The whole "Cerberus Network is down" means there won't be any news and updates on the Cerberus terminal in the main menu. You won't be missing anything important, it was there just for immersion purposes.

Kasumi and Overlord are paid so if he bought the 360 version he'll have to pay for those , the PS3 version has almost all the DLC in the code, I think the Cerberus armor, the Arc, the eviserator shotgun , firewalker missions , Zaeed and the Normandy Crash site are the only ones for free.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By pr1mus

The code will probably still work, many people reported it working after the codes "expired". If not just contact EA support and they'll give you one for free. Basically it says on the box that this stuff is included and you can't know the code have an expiration date until opening the box. They're just covering their ass in case they decide to take down that content entirely in the future but as long as it's otherwise available the codes should work or they'll give another for free.

Ntmanning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Ntmanning

It is the PS3 version. Sounds like I should just take the free copy. Thanks guys

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.