Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Can some explain what PS3 owners are getting free?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Im curious if they really cleared up what DLC or stuff the people on PS3 who are getting this game in januarey are going to get free. I know their getting Shadow Broker, Kasumi, and Overlord for free on the disc, plus that exclusive interactive comic off the cerberus network, but are they getting anything else free off the cerberus network that 360 owner would have to pay for if they wanted it? Im just rying to get a gauge if its a good deal on PS3 if it ends up being 60 bucks at retail (which it probaly will be)
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ravensword

bump. Anyone know?
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

all the DLC. 
    thats all im aware of. 
    Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By SmasheControllers
    @Bloodgraiv3: @Raven_Sword:  

Blood Dragon Armor Code and Cerberus Network Code
    Kasumi, Overlord and Lair on disc. 

Nothing more, I don't know where people keep thinking everything.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword
    @Bloodgraiv3:

All of it free?
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    "These bits of DLC, as well as the Blood Dragon armor, will be included on-disc, according to a recent ME2 forums post (via Joystiq). Also, the ME2 PS3 will be supported by Cerberus Network, which will give owners quick access to the Zaed character DLC and the Firewalker pack, which adds that floaty spaceship thing and some additional missions."  Brad Nicholson. 

" Since Mass Effect 1 will remain an Xbox 360 exclusive, PlayStation 3 owners will have the option of playing an interactive comic included with Mass Effect 2 to help bridge the gap between the two titles. 

Clarifying a recent post made on the official BioWare German forums, producer Jesse Houston confirmed the comic would be exclusive to PS3 at its initial release for players who would be otherwise "unable to realize the full effect of choice in the Mass Effect universe." The comic can be downloaded through the Cerberus Network. 

"While I can't release all the details about this yet, what I can tell you is that we want to create a stunning visual experience that not only tells the core story elements of Mass Effect 1, but also is fully interactive allowing you to be faced with some of the major choices which will have consequences your [sic] Mass Effect universe," Houston said. 

Mass Effect 2 for PS3 also includes the previously released downloadable content Lair of the Shadow Broker, Project Overlord, Kasumi: Stolen Memory and the Blood Dragon Armor on the Blu-ray disc. The Zaeed and Firewalker content is also accessible through the Cerberus Network. 

There will also be exclusive free and paid downloadable content for the PS3 version, such as the Recon Operations Pack, and bundled content like the Aegis Pack. 

Houston also clarified the reported "6 hour exclusive mission" saying it was all a translation error.     " 
     IGN
    Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By SmasheControllers
    @SethPhotopoulos: Okay so PS3 does get Aegis and Firepower, but not free.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

Regardless of all this there is one thing that they will never have: ME1 save imports. So if you don't already have it for something else, I would go get both of those games now. The DLC ain't worth it.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By trophyhunter

according to the box art 
    overlord, stolen memories, and the liar of the shadow broker on disc 
    Also there will be a new intro to let PS3 players make Mass Effect 1 choices.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ravensword
    @nintendoeats:

Try going back and playing ME 1 after playing 2. Its very hard.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy
    @Raven_Sword: It's not free, the PS3 version is actually more expensive than the other versions with DLC included. I don't get why you say free, you're still paying for it.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Raven_Sword: It's not free, the PS3 version is actually more expensive than the other versions with DLC included. I don't get why you say free, you're still paying for it. "
    What do you mean more expensive? Its a normal priced game. 
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trophyhunter
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Raven_Sword: It's not free, the PS3 version is actually more expensive than the other versions with DLC included. I don't get why you say free, you're still paying for it. "
    .......no?
    it's 60 bucks but with free DLC that 360 users had to pay for.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    @trophyhunter: If you buy the game now for PC or 360, included the DLC in, it will be around 40 bucks. The PS3 version is 60. 

Paying 60 dollars for a year old game and 3 DLC packs, two of which are pretty small, that is a lot considering how much the other versions are selling for.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @trophyhunter: The Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360 version costs less than 30 dollars... with all the DLC, it's less than 60.

The PS3 version costs 60 flat.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By trophyhunter
    @xyzygy:@Doctorchimp: yes but the millions of people that bought day one payed 60 bucks plus more for DLC.
    Also the whole reason people would buy it for the PS3 is because they don't have a 360 duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh,
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy
    @trophyhunter: It's out on PC too, duhhhh. And yes your argument would make sense if the game wasn't already a year old. That's like me paying full, new game price for Assassin's Creed 2 plus it's DLC right now when it can be bought for much less than half it's original price.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By trophyhunter
    @xyzygy said:
    " @trophyhunter: It's out on PC too, duhhhh. And yes your argument would make sense if the game wasn't already a year old. That's like me paying full, new game price for Assassin's Creed 2 plus it's DLC right now when it can be bought for much less than half it's original price. "
    The PC that's cute hahaha.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @trophyhunter: Right....  

But it's still a year old game, so the PS3 users should still pay the premium price?  

Also it all plays a little close to the nose when PS3 only owners just praise their version nonstop like it's the clear winner, when really they're sort of getting gypped.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy
    @trophyhunter: Maybe if you weren't so ignorant you'd know that the PC version is the best version of the game?
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ravensword
    @xyzygy:

It dosent matter because its a game that syestem wouldnt get otherwise, so the 60 dollars isnt a big deal if there giving you added free stuff that wasnt around when the original first hit for 60. I still think its a good deal for people who havent played it yet. And hoenstly, peopel keep makinga big deal about not having teh first game, but if you go back and play the first game, espeacily after palying the second game, its rather hard to go back and play the first game.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By scarace360

O god here we go.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ravensword
    @Doctorchimp:

I think expecting them to relases it on another syestem that didnt get it before, give them alot of added content for free, with the possibility of improvements to the game itself, and charge a discounted price for it is rather lofty expectations. This would be like if Killzone 2 came over to 360. They would probaly pakage the game itself and its mappacks for 60 dollars over on 360. Yet you could go on the PS3 and get the game for about 30 (maybe even less) and buy the map packs for cheaper then that 60 dollars. Its all the same thing.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ravensword
    @scarace360:

eh, im not gonna get in a crazy debate and contribute this into a stupid war, im just stating my opinon.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rockdalf
    @xyzygy said:
    " @trophyhunter: Maybe if you weren't so ignorant you'd know that the PC version is the best version of the game? "
    That is absolutely your opinion.  Also, people pay original full price for year old games on the SAME console all the time, ala GOTY editions.  I don't see how this is very much different.  I guess if you don't like the price, you could buy a X360 and pay $40.00 for it, just like I had to do for LBP for PS3.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @trophyhunter: Right....   But it's still a year old game, so the PS3 users should still pay the premium price?   Also it all plays a little close to the nose when PS3 only owners just praise their version nonstop like it's the clear winner, when really they're sort of getting gypped. "
    You probibly think keeping the same taxes rate cost money too.
    360 owners had to pay for the DLC, PS3 users do not have to pay for it.
    Now stick with me here, I know it's hard. What is more expensive? Free or not free?
    Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Edwardryu

it's official. for US, Jan. 18th, 2011. for the rest of world, Jan. 21th.  
    of course, it comes with all DLC (6 hours worth playtime. kasumi lost memory, overlord, lair of shadow broker, and other small DLC). 
    the price? $59.99. if you like, never played it, grab it. I doubt someone who visits, and post here never played mass effect 2? I highly doubt it. I believe that you guys already finished it few times at least.  

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By THRICE

The PS3 version is $60 and you're getting 3 pieces of DLC 360 owners paid roughly a combined $25 for. Not to mention the free pieces of DLC. And the ability to import Mass Effect 1 characters and enjoy the story of ME1 without playing the game which honestly does not hold up. If PS3 only  owners pass this up you should be ashamed of yourselves. 2010 GOTY for sure.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ocean_H
    @xyzygy said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: @trophyhunter: If you buy the game now for PC or 360, included the DLC in, it will be around 40 bucks. The PS3 version is 60.  Paying 60 dollars for a year old game and 3 DLC packs, two of which are pretty small, that is a lot considering how much the other versions are selling for. "
    Honestly question your reasoning ability... seriously.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By KaosAngel

...technically nothing is free considering the game costs $60 bucks.  >.> 

But it has all the DLC.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Andorski
    @Ocean_H said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: @trophyhunter: If you buy the game now for PC or 360, included the DLC in, it will be around 40 bucks. The PS3 version is 60.  Paying 60 dollars for a year old game and 3 DLC packs, two of which are pretty small, that is a lot considering how much the other versions are selling for. "
    Honestly question your reasoning ability... seriously. "
    The 360 version is going for $20 (USD) new right now.  Adding all three DLC packs - Overlord ($7), Stolen Memories ($7), and Lair of the Shadow Broker ($10) - the value of what is offered in the PS3 version in terms of content adds up to $47.  This ignores a lot of factors though.  First off, Bioware could be adding the DLC armor/weapons for the PS3 version that are up as paid DLC on XBL.  Then there is the interactive comic (15 minute motion comic where you can make major decisions in the ME1 story), and better graphics.  So the $60 can definitely be justified.  If you have either a gaming PC or 360, those versions are still a better deal solely for the fact that you can play the whole trilogy.  The PS3 version is no slouch though, and given how rough ME1 is compared to the polished experience in ME2 (replaying ME1 right now... *rough*), missing the first act in the story arc might be a blessing in disguise. 

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32  Edited By galiant
    @Andorski said:
    " [...] and better graphics.  So the $60 can definitely be justified. "
    What's your source on this? They've never mentioned they would enhance the graphics in any way, isn't it just a port?
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Andorski
    @Galiant said:

" @Andorski said:

" [...] and better graphics.  So the $60 can definitely be justified. "

What's your source on this? They've never mentioned they would enhance the graphics in any way, isn't it just a port? "
    Check the video I posted.  It's a comparison video made by IGN.  The video shows higher color contrast, allowing detail in the textures to pop out better.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Vorbis

To the people pointing out the lack of ME1, the game comes with an interactive comic that lets you finish the ME1 storyline before jumping into ME2. This lets you save the Rachni, keep Wrex alive, save the council etc. Not sure about the romance options but PS3 players will be on equal ground going into ME2.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Enigma777

You can get ME2 brand new for the 360 for $15-20 so even with all the DLC, it will still be cheaper than $60. Not to mention that you can't import a ME1 save, which is a huge thing imo! 

@Vorbis said: 

" To the people pointing out the lack of ME1, the game comes with an interactive comic that lets you finish the ME1 storyline before jumping into ME2. This lets you save the Rachni, keep Wrex alive, save the council etc. Not sure about the romance options but PS3 players will be on equal ground going into ME2. "

I highly doubt that a 15-min motion comic will give you the same understanding and connection to the characters as a 30+ hour game. For example you might choose to save or kill Wrex, but you will never really know him and his personalty and inner struggles unless you play the game. A dinky little comic is not going to give you the level of emotional attachment that you spent hours and hours to build in ME1. Playing ME2 without the first one is like starting a movie halfway through with a one-sentence summary of what you missed.
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Hopefully the motion comic includes the scene with the reporter, if not then PS3 owners will be missing out on the greatest of choices, one that also has dramatic effects on ME2.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Andorski
    @Vorbis said:
    " To the people pointing out the lack of ME1, the game comes with an interactive comic that lets you finish the ME1 storyline before jumping into ME2. This lets you save the Rachni, keep Wrex alive, save the council etc. Not sure about the romance options but PS3 players will be on equal ground going into ME2. "
    Even though I'm currently experiencing the roughness of ME1's gameplay (and the added tediousness of the 360 version's inventory UI), I have a strong feeling that playing the game will be the better way to experience the story when compared to the 15 minute interactive motion comic.  It will be interesting to see how they handle some choices, such as saving the Rachni populace.  When told of their situation (Queen being experimented on in order to learn her mind control abilities; her children being aggressive attackers due to the Queen's distress), it seems like the obvious Paragon choice would be to save the queen.  But when playing the game, having to fight the rachni can give you the idea that killing off this dangerous species might actually serve Citadel species better.  After all, the Council chose to control their population growth using the Krogan.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#38  Edited By Jazz

It's Mass Effect 2 running in the Mass Effect 3 engine.
    That seems like a pretty big thing.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Enigma777
    @Jazz said:
    " It's Mass Effect 2 running in the Mass Effect 3 engine.That seems like a pretty big thing. "
    Don't they all use Unreal Engine 3?
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Vorbis
    @Andorski:@Enigma777:  Of course I agree, if people can they should absolutely play ME1, it was great and I think I actually prefered it over ME2, but I don't think I could ever go back and play it now. However this is still a good alternative as alot of people went into ME2 without playing the first and all they got was a 3minute recap, this will let people play ME3 without missing the support of the Rachni etc. 

It's great for someone like me who has played both but never bothered with DLC and wasn't happy with one of their choices on ME1, I can pickup this version with all the DLC and fix the bad choices I made. Not to mention if the ME3 multiplayer rumours are true I'll actually be able to join in without having to get XBL Gold.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#41  Edited By Jazz
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @Jazz said:
    " It's Mass Effect 2 running in the Mass Effect 3 engine.That seems like a pretty big thing. "
    Don't they all use Unreal Engine 3? "
    Highly modified each time, but i suppose so... 
    Here's the link
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheHT

Comparing launch prices seems the right way to go about it, in which case the PS3 version's obviously getting DLC content for 'free'.

I don't see the point in comparing how much you could get Mass Effect 2 for on the PC or 360 now to how much it'll cost when the PS3 version debuts. It's an old game for PC/360 users, but new for PS3 users, so it'll be priced accordingly on each platform respectively.   

Also, chances are the people interested in the PS3 version don't care about how much cheaper it is now on the 360 and PC cause they only have a PS3. I doubt they'd buy a new console/upgrade their PC just to save 15 bucks.

StarFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By StarFox

My bet? The PS3 version will release almost simultaneously with the 360 GOTY edition which will also include the DLC. I'm not sure they will use the ME3 version of UE3 for that, but they might. And they'll cost the same price. That's what you get when you wait a year to buy a game, like PS3 owners (technically) have. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hitchenson
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @trophyhunter: It's out on PC too, duhhhh. And yes your argument would make sense if the game wasn't already a year old. That's like me paying full, new game price for Assassin's Creed 2 plus it's DLC right now when it can be bought for much less than half it's original price. "
    The PC that's cute hahaha. "
    Having to wait basically a year for the game to come to PS3. That's cute hahaha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.