Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Discussion/Guide to Vanguard

laalipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By laalipop

I'd like to inspire a line of threads that will discuss each individual class in detail. This includes the best weapons, more or less in the form of a rank system, what skills should be taken, in the form of builds and a top 5 list of people for your squad. I firmly believe these classes to be equal aside from learning curve, and by helping people understand the classes better, that means the playing field is a little bit level. I'm also not going to incluse spoiler tags unless it is deemed necessary.

I chose Vanguard to start off with on for two very big reasons: First being that since I look at a lot of different forums I've noticed people are either quick to judge or don't understand the mechanic behind the class. The second is that I picked Vanguard as my first class choice and never once regretted it. 

Vanguards are feared for their high-risk high-reward combat style, closing quickly on enemies and destroying them at close range with weapons and biotic abilities. They are outfitted with L5n implants, enabling them to perform a biotic charge that strikes the opponent with incredible force while bringing the Vanguard in close for close-range combat. 

Vanguard Weapons: 

Shotgun: Evicerator or Claymore are your best choices, followed by the Scimitar, never use the first shotgun.

Sniper Rifle: Don't EVER take the option to use a sniper rifle, seriously if you take a sniper you're defeating the purpose of being a Vanguard.

Assault Rifle: If you decide against the Claymore like I did, replacing the SMG with an AR isn't a bad idea. I personally picked the Avenger over the Vindicator because if I want accurate I would just use my pistol. If you don't want to have someone with overload in your party either you can also take a pulse rifle with you too. Obviously you can't obtain the BR as a Vanguard to it's not listed.

Heavy Pistol: Carnifex Handcannon.I personally hate the thing, not enough ammo capacity for the few times I actually do use it. But it really does pack a massive punch for a pistol.

SMG: Locust from Kasumi's DLC by a longshot, but the one that you get from picking up Tali is definitly a good choice too, assuming you didn't pick up an AR. 

Vanguard Builds:

I have images of two builds that I have found to do rather well, one if pure close combat, you have to either AR or Heavy pistol down enemies out of range of charge or rely on your squad, the other build gives you shockwave and pull to allow for those distance fights, but sacrifices your ammos to do it.

No Caption Provided

Reave will Deal with anything charging at isn't a good idea to do *CoughharbingerCOUGH* or assist with stuff out of reach. But the real focus here is making you a krogan in a human body. Give your squad cryo ammo and gives yourself inferno, they freeze enemies, reducing the fire on you while out of cover, plus adding the damage you deal (frozen enemies take more damage).You having Inferno Ammo stops health regen, stuns unarmored enemies and, if you have the Evicerator, adds more raw damage to enemies with armor. I found myself only having to jump to cover if I got a little ahead of myself (or didn't see the Krogan in the corner.) It's a fantastic build, is also the build I used to get through Insanity.

No Caption Provided

An older, but still good build of mine, gets rid of the ammos for pull and shockwave, whic allows for a bit more distance and using shockwave helps stun and pull enemies out of cover. To compensate for lack of ammo types, Warp Ammo was added instead of reave, you could probably take level 1 of something and just max Inferno ammo, but I felt that more damage to everything but shields is the better deal.

Top 5 Squadmates:

5: Grunt: He is just a powerhouse and is good for any class to have.

4: Thane: Brings three good things, distance fighting, throw, and warp. You're up close, he can watch your back with that sniper of his, his throw is a nice compliment to your pull, and you should never say having warp is a bad thing :)

3:Garrus: Overload for shields, Concussive blast for barriers and a sniper rifle. Plus, its Garrus! you gotta love Garrus!

2: Miranda: Warp and overload, need I say more?

1: Zaeed: Why Goddamn not? That inferno grenade of his is a fire attack that splits off into 5 other fire attacks, why would you not want to use that on a Krogan? Concussive blast drops the barriers of those pesky collectors. The guy can take a hit pretty well AND he has a sniper rifle. It was him and Grunt who got me through the collector's ship on insanity, The man has my respect.

General tips for Vanguard:

The biggest thing I see is people talking down about how stupid charge is because you end up out of cover right in fray, people don't understand that the Vanguard has the ability to do that.

1. Charge has a shield return, an abusable one at that.

2. Charge gives you about 4 seconds in invincibility coming out of it.

3. Has anyone actually seen what a fully upgraded Claymore spread does to an enemy on Insanity? Hell even the damage the Evicerator does!? Your shotgun is your primary weapon, and it is one hell of a weapon.

4. You have to pick your target carefully, I'm going to repeat that, YOU HAVE TO PIC KYOUR TARGET CAREFULLY! Charging to the collector in the back in not a good idea. I personally pick the one that is standing next to the cover I want. Charge to the enemy, shotgun them down, if you still have shields move onto the next closest one and charge when your shields drop. If your shields drop and your biotics are still on cooldown, move to that cover you decided on before. The two biggest things you needs to decide when choosing a target are: 1. Am I going to be a sitting duck afterwards and 2.Does my target have some kind of barrier/shield/armor? If the answer is yes, then you're good to go! Thats right, you want them to have a form of protection, because then they just stumble back, leaving them right in your face and unable to shoot. Give them a few good shots from the Evicerator or one shot from the Claymore and they're done.

5. Play on at least Hardcore, when you go any lower not enough enemies have shields/barriers/armor for you to utilize Charge properly, making it hard for you to land kill shots.

This is all I got right now, I just got off work and am tired so please excuse any gramatical errors and anything that doesn't make much sense. Please give me some feedback and discuss other thoughts you have about the class!    
    amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By amoremono1

I dig the vanguard too, but I disagree that a sniper is anti-this class; it just rounds it out.  I had alot of fun picking off support enemies, then closing in with charge to completely fuck up those left.   I felt like I had an extremely well rounded fighter who could tackle anything....

As for my build, I had fully upgraded charge, shockwave, barrier, and champion, with cryo, incindiary, and pull being secondary.  I freaking love wide shockwave and slow-mo charge!!

Nice work, though...

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mewarmo990

I would have agreed with you on not taking sniper rifles before, but with the inclusion of the highly accurate Locust SMG in the Kasumi DLC, taking sniper rifles to give a Vanguard long-range capability is now totally a good idea. At the end of the day, Vanguards have virtually no ability to deal non-biotic damage from long distances without exposing yourself. Biotic Charge can close the gap, but puts you at huge risk on Hardcore and Insanity where being surrounded by multiple enemies is extremely dangerous. Sniper rifles are a lifesaver on Insanity since you can thin out the crowd before charging in.

Here's my Vanguard...

Weapons

Eviscerator shotgun at close range. Very powerful against all defenses, plus there's nothing as satisfying as following up a stunning Charge with a thunderous point-blank shotgun blast.
    Locust SMG for medium range and shielded enemies. The poor man's assault rifle, it's actually better than the Avenger IMO. DLC only, however.
    Viper sniper rifle for long range. Mantis just doesn't have enough ammo.
    Carnifex hand cannon as backup

Powers

Charge - I use it sparingly unless there are only a few enemies I want to focus on
    Heavy Shockwave - great for crowd control 
    Pull Field - crowd control
    Vanguard Champion - you can never have enough health on Insanity
    Incendiary, Cryo - dropped these completely once I gave Garrus Squad AP rounds
    For my bonus ability (fully upgraded), I played around with Reave on Veteran but settled on Heavy Barrier/Fortification on Insanity. Vanguards need survivability.

Squadmates

You should always pick your squadmates to fit the mission, but if I had to choose my favorites, they'd be:

Garrus - doesn't matter what else you use him for, but once Garrus unlocks Armor-Piercing Ammo you should immediately upgrade it to Group and keep him around for a huge squad damage buff to armor and health. Also, Overload for shields, and sniper rifles for long-range damage.

Miranda - group health and damage buff is nice, but she's well-rounded with both Warp and Overload.

Zaeed - sturdy character with access to powerful weapons (AR and SR) at medium and long range. The only good ability he has is the incendiary grenade, but man, does it kick ass.
    laalipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By laalipop
    @mewarmo990:  

If you use Charge right even on the high difficulties, crowds are not an issue. And I would be more prone to take an AR after the Kasumi download than before it. The Locust is very, very accurate, and makes actually both the AR and Sniper feel completely useless to me, I still side with the AR though just because if all else fails, it has a bigger clip than the Locust, meaning more ammo and a longer sustained attack, if that situation should ever arise.  

My other thing is that when you pick a class, you're given one ability that no other class can get that defines what the class is about. Vanguards are about getting in your face and going to town, so I personally feel having a shitty long distance offense is fine for a Vanguard.  If you want that balance or a to play long distance, Soldier or Infiltrator seem like better ideas to me.
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By innacces14

Good guide and good builds. Only argument is same as mewarmo990 about the assault rifle choice. The Locust SMG actually does more damage than any assault rifle, but like you said; clip size. =/ 

Hit me up with a PM once you get around with a Sentinal or Infiltrator guide to talk specs and builds. Especially Infiltrator, haha

laalipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By laalipop
    I had to edit my post because of a typo, I meant the Locust makes the AR and Sniper useless in my opinion, because of its range and power there is no real need for either, which in turn also makes taking the Claymore for experimental purposes a decent idea.  

Between the Locust and Evicerator I never had a real need to switch to anything else (I don't even use my heavy weapon too much.) 

I guess it just comes down to preference here, but I still think Claymore or Avenger AR/Geth Pulse Rifle is the best for this class. 

and finally... 

@innacces14:

The only two classes I have any real knowledge of is Adept and Vanguard, and I know Vanguard WAYYYY more than Adept. This was more of an experiment for the community to get together and help people learn more about these classes, and hopefully get more people the Insanity Achievement. If you want to help and start other classes threads that would be great!

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mewarmo990
    @laalipop said:
    " @mewarmo990:   If you use Charge right even on the high difficulties, crowds are not an issue. And I would be more prone to take an AR after the Kasumi download than before it. The Locust is very, very accurate, and makes actually both the AR and Sniper feel completely useless to me, I still side with the AR though just because if all else fails, it has a bigger clip than the Locust, meaning more ammo and a longer sustained attack, if that situation should ever arise.   My other thing is that when you pick a class, you're given one ability that no other class can get that defines what the class is about. Vanguards are about getting in your face and going to town, so I personally feel having a shitty long distance offense is fine for a Vanguard.  If you want that balance or a to play long distance, Soldier or Infiltrator seem like better ideas to me. "
    That makes sense - whether to spec in Charge or not is largely a matter of personal preference, since over time I have learned to use Charge more effectively and often than I did when I first started playing Insanity. It's really neat to see how much more tactical ME2 has gotten compared to the first game, where a high-level Vanguard could charge into a room full of enemies and just flatten them all without a scratch. On the subject of Charge versus multiple enemies, I've found that it's nonetheless really useful to maintain your mobility and avoid being surrounded in the more spacious maps. However, I still have a hard time using Charge offensively against groups on Insanity because of the relatively low rate of fire and clip capacity of shotguns.

Like you, I picked Vanguard because I find it very satisfying to get up in the face of the enemies and completely destroy them. To me, it still makes sense to be able to reach out and touch enemies from range, though. Soldier does go for more balance, but not having any actual powers besides bullet time is boring, and I've found playing as a Soldier to be overly simplistic, since ammo and range are hardly ever an issue with a small arsenal of guns. Sniper Rifles just let me make up for a major limitation of the Vanguard while keeping that same in-your-face playstyle. If not, the burst-firing AR is second best for long ranges where the Locust can't maintain its firepower.
    laalipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By laalipop

That's why the slow down is so important, it gives you the time to line up the shot, which with the Claymore is vital and if you charge into someone with a little protection left, just enough for the Evicerator. Also that few seconds in invincibility is vital as well. Before you charge pick a target by very good cover. Charge, Shotgun down, and you should be able to get to cover just as your shields go down. You can charge to your next victim from there, since you get a shield return as long as you're not close to death you don't even need to wait for a health return. 

I also found that Squad Cryo Ammo does wonders to reduce the damage on you at once. You can even get lucky and freeze a collector as they're transforming, frozen Harbinger is better than...erm... a not... frozen Harbinger. 

I'll eventually get around to updating the post to reflect that the second sniper rifle is a reasonable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.