Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Firefly References?

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mrfizzy

So iv just started watching the Firefly series right after playing Mass Effect 2 and there seem to be a lot of references in there.  
    - The name "Blue Suns" is used in both 
    -"The Alliance" rules the galaxy in both (and from memory there was also some conflict between the inner and outer worlds mentioned in ME1, this is why there was the Civil War in Firefly). 
    -The main enemy in the ME games are Reapers, beings from the edge of the galaxy that people know little about, in Fireflu there are the Reavers, almost the same situation tho.  
    - Jack's story of being placed in a facility as a child and having tests performed on her is almost exactly the same as that of River in Firefly.  

I dont have a problem with any of this, i just didnt know if it acknowledged that ME drew some things from Firefly or what.  

Thoughts?

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

Adam Baldwin is in Mass Effect 2 as well!

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FartyMcNarly

They both also happen in space

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By emkeighcameron

You know what the chain of command is?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vito_Raliffe said:
    " Adam Baldwin is in Mass Effect 2 as well! "
    Kal'Reegar might be my favorite secondary character in the game. For this reason alone, even. 

The Collectors, in mood and general presence, remind me more of the Reavers than do Mass Effect's Reapers. If you've seen Serenity, the opening bit is all about Reavers dropping in on a human colony and messing all sorts of shit up. That's sort of the Collectors' gimmick, too. 

Also, where the first game was more a throwback to Star Wars and Star Trek--big ass space operas--Mass Effect 2 pays homage to Firefly and Battlestar Galactica a bit more. Grittier, less melodramatic sci-fi pieces. 

So, yeah, I see the connections.
    avecess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By avecess

It's the chain i go get and beat you with until you understand who's in rotten command here!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I forget the line, but I remember Joker quoting Firefly at one point.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By TheKidNixon

The Mass Effect series is a big love letter to all space sci-fi; Firefly is certainly in there, but so is Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar, Blade Runner, Babylon 5 and countless others. 

In an attempt to offer a slight counter-example in the name of balance, I think one of the things that makes Mass Effect distinctly unFireflyish is that it has aliens. Firefly is very much about JUST humanity, after it has expanded into space and splintered apart. Mass Effect (as well as Star Trek and Babylon 5, two of its largest influences IMHO) is at its heart about disparate cultures interacting and attempting to co-exist, sometimes successfully, and sometimes not so successfully.

Roboyto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Roboyto

Don't know if anyone else noticed it, but listen to the music the first time you take your ship out of the hanger. very strongly reminded me of Firefly music

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By c1337us

Seems to be a few nods here and there. Some of it might be coincidence (like an organisation called The Alliance, kind of generic stuuf that), some of it probably isn't.

Psycho_Rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Psycho_Rich

There are defiantly some similarities between the two. Though the whole story of the Quarian/Geth war and the flotilla is a carbon copy of the Human/Cylon war from Battlestar Galactica.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Pinworm45

Sci-Fi is homage central. Did you know in Firefly you can see several crates with the Babylon 5 logo, as well as guns (which are never used, you can just see them) that are from Babylon 5? there's more as well but that's all I remember

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think Jack is also part Riddick reference. As the Riddick movie also has a bald psycho chick who likes to kill and is even called Jack.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

The Opening to ME2 is similar to Aliens. 

The Shepard/Ripley wake up and find out they have been gone for a very long time. The organization they work for doesn't believe their story about the life threatening Aliens. Suddenly a human colony goes missing and the Shepard/Ripley is ordered to investigate.

CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By CharkeeFarlee
    @emkeighcameron said:

" You know what the chain of command is? "

It's the chain i go get and beat you with to show you who's in command!
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By haggis

There are almost too many references/homages/quotes to count. I was hoping that Adam Baldwin's character was in the game more (I'm hoping more in Mass Effect 3). Kal'Reegar was fantastic. Firefly is only one of many influences, though.

Oh, hell, now I'm imagining a Firefly game using the Mass Effect engine. Shit. That'd be a blast.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NoXious

If you keep opening/closing the shutters in the cockpit you have a chance of hearing Seth Green ('Joker') saying something about pulling a Crazy Ivan. Direct reference to Firefly there alone!

And yea Adam Baldwin as Kal'Reegar makes this game a whole lot more awesome. 

jonny_eh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By jonny_eh
    @Pinworm45: @Pinworm45 said:
    " Sci-Fi is homage central. Did you know in Firefly you can see several crates with the Babylon 5 logo, as well as guns (which are never used, you can just see them) that are from Babylon 5? there's more as well but that's all I remember "
    And in the BSG mini-series/pilot there's a scene where the Serenity flys by. I think it was on Caprica, and you can see it through a window.
    Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mrnitropb

The idea of the ancient derelict ship that drives people insane, is itching the back of my mid of where I've seen that one before.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @mrfizzy: I definitely thought there was some Firefly references, not to mention a bunch of other sci-fi references (I found Jack's recruitment mission really reminiscent of Escape from Butcher Bay), but who's to say what is and isn't intentional, either way Mass Effect 2 is a great game and FireFly was a brilliant series that deserved longer than it got.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Mrnitropb said:
    " The idea of the ancient derelict ship that drives people insane, is itching the back of my mid of where I've seen that one before. "
    Yeah, my mother.
    Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Liminality
    @Mrnitropb said:
    " The idea of the ancient derelict ship that drives people insane, is itching the back of my mid of where I've seen that one before. "
    Dead Space?.

It was not the ship but it was very similar.
    Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @Liminality: No, I'm thinking of something much older, Maybe Event Horizon, or some old SF book.
    evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By evanbrau
    @wasteguru:  That whole sequence, in particular the music screamed "Aliens" to me which is awesome. 

As other posters have said Mass Effect is a huge love letter to science fiction, the first one paid particular attention to seventies style sci fi again especially with its music. There's also lots of Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG etc etc in there. Great games.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By mrfizzy
    @NoXious: 2 things. 1) I didnt realise that Seth Green voiced Joker, how the hell didnt i pick that!?!? 
    2) Not really relevant but the "Crazy Ivan" move is used in modern day sub warfare, basicly what they do in Firefly but in a sub. Just a fun fact for all you playing at home.  
    FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FalconCritical

The two crewmen in the sleeping quarters talk about family on 'New Canton', this is said to be a reference to Canton from Firefly where Jayne was a hero.  I like it especially much since Adam Baldwin is in the game himself (but unrelated to this callout).

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By gearhead

There are many different homages while some you've mentioned I'm not so sure about. 
    The only one that I am almost certain on is Jack's side story and how it correlates to River. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By Geno

Isn't the entire game essentially a reference to Firefly? 

notorganic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By notorganic

They both involve flying around in a spaceship with a crew.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vigilance

Most direct Firefly reference is Zaeed's line about being "big goddamn heroes". That's a direct Firefly quote. 

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Teran

Some of the references are a little too vague for me to accept as genuine, but you can definitely see some Firefly influence in the game, particularly the sense of humor... especially with Shepherd renegade interrupts.

@raidingkvatch:  Jack in general seemed like a huge reference to the movie Pitch Black and Riddick universe in general.  I loved the mission in general though I was disappointed that there was no option to surrender your weapons for real, no matter what dialog path you chose you ended up keeping them.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Coombs

Anyone else still sad about the Firefly MMO dying before it started?

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @Roboyto said:
    " Don't know if anyone else noticed it, but listen to the music the first time you take your ship out of the hanger. very strongly reminded me of Firefly music "
    Whoa, I have to go back and listen to that now.
    Raiden36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Raiden36O

The last casual clothing option seems a lot like what the fire fly characters wear also. It instantly reminded me of firefly as soon as i saw it, although the shaggy orange and brown color scheme looked a little out of place on the normandy, i still used it :) .

The Jack character is defiantly a reference to Riddick, the Jack character in RIddick (who looks and acts very similar) was also in a prision when rescued i believe.

Mass Effects writers have defiantly been inspired by elements of alot of classic Sci-fi shows/movies.

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slab64
    @Mrnitropb said:
    Event Horizon?
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By haggis

One of the key clear influences from Firefly was the space camera work, especially when Normandy is flying to and from hub worlds and during battles. The mis-framing, unsteady camera and zoom were all staples of Firefly that got carried on to shows like Battlestar Galactica (Zoic did the 3D effects for both shows).

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinworm45

Shepherd at one point responds too "aren't you dead?" with "I was, but I'm better now". Taken word for word from Babylon 5. Although I'm not sure if that's a homage, 'theft', or just two different cases of coming up with the same (somewhat obvious, admitadely) joke

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.