Good Christ, the Collectors' Ship on Insanity is bullshit.

  • 153 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#1 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -

I've tried with two different characters now, a Sentinel and a Vanguard, for a grand total of about four hours and I cannot get past this part whatsoever. It's a combination of awful design and bad programming. With the Sentinel, I had no trouble with the Scion constantly oscillating around our platform. For whatever reason, the Shockwave just wouldn't hit us. That said, I felt like I was firing pea-shooters at the Collectors themselves. Especially Harbinger, whose attacks are brutal enough to wipe out your whole squad on his lonesome. 
 
Figuring I had hit a wall, and seeing this video, I thought that, maybe, a Vanguard was (surprisingly) the way to go. And, actually, up until this point, it totally was. The Vanguard usually rips through most enemies like a hot knife through melted butter. But there's some sort of bug that prevents me from phasing through objects with my charge. I'll do the animation, the charge animation, and it will look like I've warped over to the enemy I've selected, but when the animation finishes, I'm still standing at my initial position, and the enemy will have taken no damage and will not have been stunned at all, whatsoever.  Moreover, the oscillating Scion is flattening our squad with every Shockwave, regardless of our position, and on the several occasions I've made it past the first platform, the second Scion will glitch up onto cover, giving its own Shockwave a clear line of sight to us. 
 
Fuck, man. I'm so infuriated at this game right now. Needed to vent a bit before I snap a fucking controller. Haha.
 
Anywho--discuss, as usual. Let's hear your sob-stories, or for those prodigies among us, your strategies, teams, et al.

#2 Posted by Creamypies (4064 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: You should be proud to get that far. I got as far as the first big mech on Freedom's Progress on Insanity and gave up there and then.
#3 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

those platforms suck, i had trouble on veteran or hardcore whatever it was called.

#4 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@creamypies: It just sucks. This is the last achievement I need before I S-Rank this game. It's such a shame that I'm having such a hard time--firstly--getting through it and--secondly--enjoying the experience. I've found Insanity to be really grating and not at all fun. I feel it completely ruins the game experience.
#5 Posted by Psych0Penguin (412 posts) -

Insanity is insane, i wanna get 1015g on ME2 but at the same time don't want to infuriate myself with it and tarnish my love for it. Going through it and it is insane : /

#6 Posted by R_Coles (78 posts) -

Tried to replay the game on insanity and could not get past the Archangel Mission.
#7 Edited by Creamypies (4064 posts) -
@Skytylz said:
" those platforms suck, i had trouble on veteran or hardcore whatever it was called. "
Those are two different difficulty options.

@Sir_Ragnarok: Which is exactly why I stopped. S-Rank or not... if I'm getting no enjoyment out of doing it... I see no point in pursuing it. I'm happy with my less than perfect gamerscore.
#8 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@Psych0Penguin said:
" Insanity is insane, i wanna get 1015g on ME2 but at the same time don't want to infuriate myself with it and tarnish my love for it. Going through it and it is insane : / "
Yeah. That's exactly what's going on. I'm fine with a challenge, but this is just ballistic. Kudos to those who can manage it, but trying to grind through Insanity is ruining Mass Effect 2 for me. 
 
It's a bummer, man. A real bummer.
#9 Posted by DonChipotle (2750 posts) -

I didn't start getting pissed until the fucking husks on the IFF mission. Fuck those husks.

#10 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

It's actually piss easy as an Infiltrator. The anti-tank sniper rifle you can get kills Harbingers in like two shots. 

#11 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" It's actually piss easy as a Infiltrator. The anti-tank sniper rifle you can get kills Harbingers in like two shots.  "
I just don't want to have to start a new character when I know this is the game's major hump. I'm positive that once I get past this I can finish the rest of the game.
#12 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" It's actually piss easy as a Infiltrator. The anti-tank sniper rifle you can get kills Harbingers in like two shots.  "
I just don't want to have to start a new character when I know this is the game's major hump. I'm positive that once I get past this I can finish the rest of the game. "
Yeah. The odds are that is the case. 
#13 Posted by Creamypies (4064 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" It's actually piss easy as an Infiltrator. The anti-tank sniper rifle you can get kills Harbingers in like two shots.  "
I think piss easy is probably a little innacurate. But you do make a good case. That sniper rifle is kickass. Plus don't you get heavy warp? Which is SUPER powerful against those bastards.
#14 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@creamypies said:

" @Hitchenson said:

" It's actually piss easy as an Infiltrator. The anti-tank sniper rifle you can get kills Harbingers in like two shots.  "
I think piss easy is probably a little innacurate. But you do make a good case. That sniper rifle is kickass. Plus don't you get heavy warp? Which is SUPER powerful against those bastards. "
I dunno, I died so many times when attempting it as a Sentinel and then did it first time round as a Infiltrator. The fact I vastly enjoy playing Infiltrator is just a plus. 
#15 Edited by AndrewB (7611 posts) -

Yup, I can confirm that the Vanguard thing is a bug. It happened to me, and it pissed me off so bad. On insanity it's not just annoying, it's essential to survival.
 
I'm not going to finish insanity. I'm having trouble getting through some of the most basic battles near the beginning of the game (I can get through them easy enough, but because in perfecting the actual strategy I end up dying multiple times, it's not fun at all).

#16 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@AndrewB said:
" Yup, I can confirm that the Vanguard thing is a bug. It happened to me, and it pissed me off so bad. On insanity it's not just annoying, it's essential to survival.  I'm not going to finish insanity. I'm having trouble getting through some of the most basic battles near the beginning of the game (I can get through them easy enough, but because in perfecting the actual strategy I end up dying multiple times, it's not fun at all). "
Sucks. 
 
The version in the video is the PC build of Mass Effect 2. I've been playing the 360 version, and it doesn't seem like he's having a whole lot of trouble with the cover/charge bug. I dunno. 
 
I'm half-tempted to start an Infiltrator. Also half-tempted to start a Soldier. Blaaaah.
#17 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Yeah, Infiltrator is really easy. So far I've recruited Mordin and only died twice. 

#18 Edited by Creamypies (4064 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: Dude if you can't do it on your current playthrough, don't bother. You're ruining your experience for the sake of 75G.
#19 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

I have to say it: This is why I do not play games on insanity or any stupidly hard difficulty. It ruins the game which is normally a totally awesome experience.

#20 Posted by Feser (543 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok:
Who do you have in your squad? 
#21 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@creamypies said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok: Dude if you can't do it on your current playthrough, don't bother. You're ruining your experience for the sake of 75G. "
@Maxszy said:
" I have to say it: This is why I do not play games on insanity or any stupidly hard difficulty. It ruins the game which is normally a totally awesome experience. "
Logic is telling me that both of these are really the correct answer. 
 
But . . .
#22 Posted by Creamypies (4064 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: Listen to the voice of reason dude. It really ain't worth it.
#23 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@Feser said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok: Who do you have in your squad?  "
I'm using Miranda and Grunt. Grunt is actually the one dying more often, which is weird, since he's got three times the health anybody else has.
#24 Edited by AndrewB (7611 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:

" @AndrewB said:

" Yup, I can confirm that the Vanguard thing is a bug. It happened to me, and it pissed me off so bad. On insanity it's not just annoying, it's essential to survival.  I'm not going to finish insanity. I'm having trouble getting through some of the most basic battles near the beginning of the game (I can get through them easy enough, but because in perfecting the actual strategy I end up dying multiple times, it's not fun at all). "

Sucks.   The version in the video is the PC build of Mass Effect 2. I've been playing the 360 version, and it doesn't seem like he's having a whole lot of trouble with the cover/charge bug. I dunno.   I'm half-tempted to start an Infiltrator. Also half-tempted to start a Soldier. Blaaaah. "
That was the only case I could remember where it happened in the game, though. The only other problem I had with Charge was it just deciding not to fire when I was in the heat of battle, thus getting me killed. Also sort of related to that, it randomly doesn't work through some bits of cover/specific angles, just giving you the blue glowey thing around your character.
 
And yeah, 360 version here.
 
Also, it's funny how I felt so good playing on Veteran by default. I haven't started a game on anything higher than normal difficulty in ages. Then you get to insanity, and it really lives up to its namesake.
#25 Edited by spazmaster666 (1967 posts) -

I had a lot of trouble during this part as well but I beat it after a couple of tries. I had Grunt and Miranda in my squad, both loyal with Grunt tanking and using squad incinerator ammo and Miranda and Shephard using double warps on everything with Grunt using concussive shot occasionally on barriers. The Harbinger's go down pretty quickly with two warps + incinerator ammo from my Sniper rifle and as soon as I realized that you have to dodge those energy balls, not hide in cover, things got much much easier. Anyway, it was those Scions that gave me a lot of trouble mostly because my teammates usually poke out of cover and die after taking two shockwaves in the face. But since shockwaves can't hurt you if you're in cover, the only real danger in that mission is getting whacked out of cover by the Harbinger's energy ball attack as the Scions are sending their shockwaves at you. Otherwise though, this was definitely not the hardest part in the game on Insanity. I had far more issues with the final battle on Horizon with those two Scions and those hoardes of damned Husks (since the Husks will always bum rush you while the Harbingers will advance but never really try to flank you). 
 
Also to the OP, what level are you and what are using as your bonus power? I was double stacking with Tech Armor + Barrier at that part of the game (which gave me about 800 in total shields).

#26 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Yeah. Finished the game for the first time last night, with a Vanguard. I was pointing out combat bugs and poorly conceived combat design every step of the way. And that Charge bug did happen to me quite a bit. On one mission, I used it on the last geth in a room for Tali's loyalty quest, and ended up in the middle of the floor. I couldn't move or Charge back out, so I had to re-load. Playing for PC, btw.

#27 Posted by Feser (543 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok:
I roll with Mordin so I can use his incinerate but Miranda's a good choice. That place was pretty brutal on Hardcore with my soldier, so best of luck. Strangely enough I am having an easier playthrough with my infiltrator on Insanity. Sorry if I am rubbing it in! I haven't reached that part yet, which I hear is the hardest of the game.
#28 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@spazmaster666: Well, I'm rolling Vanguard, so no Warp or Tech Armor for me. I have Tungsten Ammo as my bonus power. I'm currently Level 16. 
 
It makes me wonder how influential the upgrades are. I've definitely been using the upgrades, but I missed a critical shotgun upgrade just before the Illusive Man contacted me with the mission. 
 
@Feser: I'm glad the Infiltrator is working out. If I do start another class, I'll likely choose that one.
#29 Posted by Spacetrucking (943 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: What's your general strategy ? Because I'm playing a Sentinel myself and that part was fairly easy for me. I regularly cycled Tech (Power) Armor and Heavy Warp while switching between Warp Ammo and Grunt's Incendiary Ammo depending on the enemy. I used Miranda's Heavy Warp myself instead of auto-cast for huge controlled bursts of damage on the Harbinger and Scion. 
 
I don't know if you can do this on the 360 but the Collector Beam is really amazing against Scions as you just keep moving from side to side to avoid their shockwaves, all the while keeping a constant beam on their head.
#30 Posted by Feser (543 posts) -
@Killjoi:  
When you shoot Scions do you aim for the middle portion of their body. I am almost certain that does more damage (or it may have just been my endgame weapon improvements). As for the Collector Beam, I'm sorry, I go Mccain style nuclear on those ships.
@Sir_Ragnarok:
Hey, best of luck. Keep trying, I personally love overcoming a difficult game. 
#31 Posted by dudeitsdon (76 posts) -
@spazmaster666: wait, shockwaves really can't hurt you if you're behind cover? i always thought it would hit you regardless because it goes "over" cover...
#32 Posted by shway (176 posts) -

Honestly the only way i made it thru there is LoS (line of sight) a lot of the stuff.  Also helped that i was on a new game plus so i was lvl 30, a soldier at that and had geth co op shield as my bonus. its a real war off attrition though so just be careful of what you do and were you go

#33 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@dudeitsdon said:
" @spazmaster666: wait, shockwaves really can't hurt you if you're behind cover? i always thought it would hit you regardless because it goes "over" cover... "
I'm not sure on this either. Either the Shockwave does damage to you (since it definitely kills your teammates) or it just knocks you out of cover long enough to get riddled.
#34 Posted by notorganic (15 posts) -
I just finished the collectors ship on insanity as Sentinal with Miranda and Zaeed after a couple of frustrating deaths. Is it true that this is the hardest part of the game? I might get that S-Class (my first!) afterall, if so.
 
You have to place your party well and dictate what they shoot at, make sure they can't get hit by the Scion and let them focus on the collectors (make sure that you tell them which collector to target, and they can take down 1 every 20-30 seconds letting them decide when to use their powers). You have to get the first Scion down as fast as possible. I used a cross between the rocket launcher and my pimped out warp to get him down. Once the first Scion is down you can jump back into killing the collectors, just make sure to keep your AI members away from the second Scion when it appears.
 
The ally AI has no concept of getting out of the way of a Scion shockwave, so you have to put them as far away from it as possible while you play chicken with it to distract it. 
 
@dudeitsdon: Shockwave definitely hurts you behind cover.
#35 Posted by Zmanl0p6 (1 posts) -

As long as it's not coming at you directly from the side then the Scion's shockwave attack does not affect you if you are taking cover. The only thing that will knock you out of it (and into the shockwave attack or bullets), is Harbinger's slow energy ball attack. That attack seems to hit the front of whatever cover you're behind and then explodes, knocking you out of it and stunning you. I don't know about the other classes, but you can avoid this as an Infiltrator by cloaking when he fires it and then moving to different cover.

#36 Posted by dudeitsdon (76 posts) -
@notorganic: @Zmanl0p6: 
 
I'M SO CONFUSEDDDD!
#37 Edited by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

 
 Yeah, the charge seems glitched whenever you're on a collector ship, it almost looks like lag in a mulitplayer game.  It's weird.
 
 
Anybody else tried Vangaurd on insanity?  Is it impossible because I was going to play through my 3rd time on insanity with my original character, but he's a Vangaurd, and charge seems suicidal on that difficulty.

#38 Posted by MildMolasses (3220 posts) -

I've never understood why people complain about the hardest difficulty being hard. That's the point of it. 
 
Now if you want to complain about easy or normal being really hard, then that would makes sense
#39 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" Anybody tried Vangaurd on insanity?  Is it impossible because I was going to play through my 3rd time on insanity with my original character, but he's a Vangaurd, and charge seems suicidal on that difficulty. "
In my original post, I talked about how I was using a Vanguard. Actually linked a video showing how ridiculously powerful the Vanguard is on Insanity. For the most part, it is an excellent class.
#40 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@MildMolasses: Cool, bro. Great input.
#41 Posted by Moztacular (467 posts) -

did it as an adept, miranda and mordin in my squad. Heavy warps and incinerates for the victory. Hardest part of the game for sure, gotta find that sweet spot where the scion shockwaves cant hit you, then gang up on the harbingers and hope they don't bullrush you.

#42 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @ArchScabby said:
" Anybody tried Vangaurd on insanity?  Is it impossible because I was going to play through my 3rd time on insanity with my original character, but he's a Vangaurd, and charge seems suicidal on that difficulty. "
In my original post, I talked about how I was using a Vanguard. Actually linked a video showing how ridiculously powerful the Vanguard is on Insanity. For the most part, it is an excellent class. "
yeah sorry i edited my post, I meant anyone else like someone who finished the game on insanity with it.
 
I do love the vangaurd class though, I played through on normal as one, just insanity seems kinda bad for a vangaurd.
#43 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@moztacular said:
" did it as an adept, miranda and mordin in my squad. Heavy warps and incinerates for the victory. Hardest part of the game for sure, gotta find that sweet spot where the scion shockwaves cant hit you, then gang up on the harbingers and hope they don't bullrush you. "
I've heard diametrically different opinions about the Adept class on Insanity.
#44 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @ArchScabby said:
" Anybody tried Vangaurd on insanity?  Is it impossible because I was going to play through my 3rd time on insanity with my original character, but he's a Vangaurd, and charge seems suicidal on that difficulty. "
In my original post, I talked about how I was using a Vanguard. Actually linked a video showing how ridiculously powerful the Vanguard is on Insanity. For the most part, it is an excellent class. "
yeah sorry i edited my post, I meant anyone else like someone who finished the game on insanity with it.  I do love the vangaurd class though, I played through on normal as one, just insanity seems kinda bad for a vangaurd. "
They don't really have the health to play Cowboys 'n Indians with most enemy groups, but if you're able to single out enemies and Charge them with a Shotgun on the ready, then you can wreak some serious havoc.
#45 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:

" Figuring I had hit a wall, and seeing this video, I thought that, maybe, a Vanguard was (surprisingly) the way to go. And, actually, up until this point, it totally was. The Vanguard usually rips through most enemies like a hot knife through melted butter. But there's some sort of bug that prevents me from phasing through objects with my charge. I'll do the animation, the charge animation, and it will look like I've warped over to the enemy I've selected, but when the animation finishes, I'm still standing at my initial position, and the enemy will have taken no damage and will not have been stunned at all, whatsoever. "

 Yeah, I had that problem with the Vanguard, though I was playing on Hardcore. What you have to do is get out of cover first, then Charge. It's probably a glitch, because you can initiate a Charge from cover anywhere else in the game, but on that damn ship, it just doesn't take. Still, it's doable, or it was for me.
#46 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @ArchScabby said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @ArchScabby said:
" Anybody tried Vangaurd on insanity?  Is it impossible because I was going to play through my 3rd time on insanity with my original character, but he's a Vangaurd, and charge seems suicidal on that difficulty. "
In my original post, I talked about how I was using a Vanguard. Actually linked a video showing how ridiculously powerful the Vanguard is on Insanity. For the most part, it is an excellent class. "
yeah sorry i edited my post, I meant anyone else like someone who finished the game on insanity with it.  I do love the vangaurd class though, I played through on normal as one, just insanity seems kinda bad for a vangaurd. "
They don't really have the health to play Cowboys 'n Indians with most enemy groups, but if you're able to single out enemies and Charge them with a Shotgun on the ready, then you can wreak some serious havoc. "
Cool.  I'll probably give it a try when I have the time.
#47 Posted by Moztacular (467 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: Yeah I dont think i'd recommend the adept over other classes, but it is possible to do. You can die very fast so if an enemy ever makes it around your cover position you're screwed, but warp is quite powerful, and I chose to have assault rifles as a my added weapon to help with my combat ability.
#49 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

I can't play Insanity. I've tried and I just can't do it.

#50 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@Eisen said:
" I ended up losing my squad members my first 2 attempts with my attempt on insanity.  I found a trick to dealing with the harbingers, which worked very well.  I took cover in the middle of the starting platform and when the harbingers were in front of me I just strafed back and fourth repeatedly and their biotics missed everytime.  I used Heavy Warp as my main attack (after the dark energy attack of the harbingers) with an occasional reave on the enemies with health bars. I avoided using guns except to finish off the scions after everything else died. "
Huh, I'll have to try it. Thanks for the strategy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.