Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Heavy Weapon Data

kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By kitaekatt

I collected a bunch of data based on people's comments on heavy weapons, thought I'd share it. This data is rough and generalized. It doesn't mean we'll be making any of the below changes for ME3 (but we might).

No Caption Provided
     Info: 
        - 65 respondants 
        - Participants were asked general questions about heavy weapons, response indicates the participant made a comment in this line. It's likely if respondents were asked specific questions like "would you have liked the ability to customize your heavy weapons" more would have said yes.
    kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kitaekatt

I collected a bunch of data based on people's comments on heavy weapons, thought I'd share it. This data is rough and generalized. It doesn't mean we'll be making any of the below changes for ME3 (but we might).

No Caption Provided
     Info: 
        - 65 respondants 
        - Participants were asked general questions about heavy weapons, response indicates the participant made a comment in this line. It's likely if respondents were asked specific questions like "would you have liked the ability to customize your heavy weapons" more would have said yes.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

Personally, I barely ever used any of the  except for the laser thing on the last boss.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I'd of loved to take this questionnaire =O Heavy weapons differed for me, anywhoo. I would save them for bosses mostly but when that Arc Projector was released I'd just use it to get through certain fire fights quicker because of how awesomely overpowered it is.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By damnboyadvance

I usually save heavy weapons for bosses, or otherwise large gunfights.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I AM HEAVY WEAPONS GI AND DIS IS MI WEAPN.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I used heavy weapons on groups of enemies as they took them out faster then picking them off one by one.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

...in RE4 I bought a rocket just for boss battles...so that chart is not off.  :\

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By natetodamax

The only heavy weapon I ever bothered using was Collector Particle Beam. Used it on tougher enemies when I was low on ammo and bosses.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FunExplosions

I used the laser whenever Harbinger manifested himself. Usually just used the rest of the ammo on the remaining grunts.

And, going along with the third most common response, I would love if the ammo replenished itself between missions. I was disappointed when I found out that this didn't automatically happen.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Origina1Penguin

That's looks about right. On my Insanity playthrough (work in progress), I've been saving it for heavy mechs and other sub-bosses and bosses. I did the same thing on lower difficulties, but on Insanity, you don't want to not have the ammo when you need it.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NoXious

If I'm not mistaken Christina, you were 'only' a programmer on ME 1 right? And later became Gameplay Designer for Mass Effect 3?
    The iteration Mass Effect 1 -> Mass Effect 2 is massive, so I'm interested in seeing what you'll pull out of your sleeve! Even minor changes could turn out to be a huge improvement.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#12  Edited By Brackynews

The Arc Projector has saved my bacon in many a geth fight on Insanity.  The Collector Laser is much less effective on this difficulty, so I save it for organics.
    I'm curious what will force me to bring out the Cain.  Probably Garrus' loyalty mission.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By delta_ass

I only used the Collector Beam cause it was seriously the best. Cain was just too wasteful.

And yea, more ammo would've been nice.

Keep up the great work, it'll be a crime if ME2 doesn't win all the GOTY awards when 2011 slinks around.

Hellhammer2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hellhammer2012

Started playing through on Insanity - having to use heavy weapons a lot more.  I'm so used to getting through the main level without using up my ammo but now, I'm having to rely on the big guns much more.  The collector beam also is much less impressive on Insanity - the arc projector still pulls through though (love it when it blows up the pyros)

kitaekatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kitaekatt
    @NoXious:  Yep I was only a programmer, but I was the lead programmer for our conversation and cinematics systems, so not a bad gig!
    Domius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Domius

I think that grenades should be back in ME3. It could work that way: you take grenade, time "stops" and you aim (a line shows where grenade will land), then you just watch an explosion (a real one, not like ones in ME1).

BTW, there should be also more ammo for heavy weapons. I personally rarely use any heavy weapon. They're just not as powerful as they could be and there's not much ammo.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I'd love to work at Bioware someday, hope to meet you in a few years.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mowgers

I used heavy weapons to kill bosses, occasionally to frag a mob of enemies if the opportunity presented itself.

My favorite instance was killing the end boss with the  M-920 Cain...

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By Geno

Generally ignored the heavy weapons due to sparse ammo and sometimes meager effects. Though that one time I used the Cain to nuke a reactor core was pretty cool :D. 

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jadeskye

in most games i like using the smallest, fastest and most precise weapons over raw power. A lot of the time thats a pistol.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I usually save my special weapons for boss battles, however, with the Arc Projector, seeing as it really is not that good against bosses, I use it when I'm getting swarmed. Having the power of lightning at your fingertips is awesome.

I also will not forget, on my first playthrough getting the finishing blow on the final boss with the Cain.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I only use heavy weapons on boss type characters. Beside that? Assault Rifle all the way!
    Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I didn't really use them because I knew getting ammo back would be hard. I wish there was an ammo and medigel refill device on the ship. 

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By foggel
    @kitae said:
    " @NoXious:  Yep I was only a programmer, but I was the lead programmer for our conversation and cinematics systems, so not a bad gig! "
    *squeels like a little girl* Can I cybertouch you?

OT: As for an input, I always saved my heavy weapons ammo for the bosses. So that chart looks accurate. Also, Miranda is still being a bitch to me. Let go already!
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ramone

I only used them to try them out oyher than that I hardly ever used them

jackelbeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jackelbeaver

I think the reason I didn't use the HW's that much is because I had to SWITCH to a heavy weapon, use it, then switch back, and most of the time it just wasn't worth the 10 seconds of vulnerability that entails when I have a million other abilities I can use instead.  Not only that but usually it's not a good idea to use a heavy weapon unless you have a certain distance between you and the enemy anyways.  Unfortunately most of the time it's a better idea to just use a heavy pistol or some other weapon if you have the space to risk switching to HW's on higher difficulties...unless you are totally fucked then it's just a nuke option.   ...I find that I more often just spam my heavy weapon until it's out of ammo and then forget about it for a few missions.

I never felt like I got anything other than "personal style points" from switching to a heavy weapon.  In ME1 I could pop a grenade on reaction and it added alot to my effectiveness.  I didn't have to stop and equip a grenade to use it, I just hit a button and threw the grenade and then Geth blew up infront of me.  The grenades had a level of versatility that the Heavy Weapons (while cooler to use) just don't really have.  If the "change equipment, change back" steps were removed from heavy weapons, it might add alot of opportunities to use and enjoy them that we just don't have in Mass Effect 2. 

Also this is a little bit of a "use my idea plz!!" line here, but I always felt like also attaching heavy weapons to the vehicles would be kinda cool.  Like what if the Hammerhead or the Mako could just switch between any of the HW's you have (We have 8 so far right?).  Pop some missiles and freeze a larger enemy; use arc projector to drain their shields then finish them off with a blackstorm.   Combo's like that might reflect alot of what makes the regular combat so interesting into the vehicle bits.

JakePT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JakePT

One thing I forgot to mention in your first post was that since I rarely used Heavy Weapons it got really annoying when I would switch back to my main weapon, if I ran out of ammo or whatever I'd forget I'd recently used the Heavy and do a quick switch, expecting my pistol, only to have myself slowly pull out a heavy weapon, which was usually empty. 

Assuming I survived that, I'd then have to follow up with juggling my weapons around so I had the right one out and the one I want ready for quick switching,    

Implodinggoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Implodinggoat

I'll just throw it out there and say I could not stop hoarding my heavy weapons ammo (same goes for medigel).  Rationally I knew that I'd find more; but the fact that I couldn't resupply at will kicked my subconscious into hoard mode and I hardly ever used my heavy weapons, which is a shame cause they're a lot of fun to use.

For ME3 or future ME2 DLC, I'd really appreciate a way to resupply my power cells and medigel between missions simply as a means to combat my natural proclivity to hoard.

Dunfalach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dunfalach

Having just finished ME2 for the first time, and quite loved it, I'll add myself mostly to the "saved it for bosses" category. I played an Adept from ME1 through ME2, on the easy difficulty level (you might want to add difficulty to your poll if you do another poll). I used the Collector Particle Beam most of the time that I used one, and most of those occurences were either: Harbinger, Scion, Praetorian, or Heavy Mech. Anything else was an unnecessary waste of uncertain ammo, and even those went by the wayside as my powers got high enough to really count. I used the Cain twice. First, to destroy the second Oculus in the cargo bay (was afraid of backdraft for the first one, but there was no other way iIwas getting through that armor anytime soon). Second, to fry most of the armor off the final boss (avoiding spoilers, despite the time frame). 

In the suicide mission, Scions in the first segment were my only real nemesis; I was carryin the Cain because I didn't know I'd get a chance to re-apportion weapons; otherwise I'd have probably been burning through them with the particle beam here too. Well, except I'd have possibly waited through  not knowing if the ammo would be replenished, and thus wanting to save it for the Cain at  the end. Harbinger-possessed enemies here were no big deal....he learned to hate my Heavy Singularity followed up by Heavy Warp plus Zaeed's Inferno Grenade. I couldn't use that combo on scions in the first segment because I took Jack and Grunt with me initially.
    Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fajita_Jim
    @ThePhantomnaut said:

I AM HEAVY WEAPONS GI AND DIS IS MI WEAPN.

My first thoughts, too. Where the hell is Meet the Spy/Medic? Can promotional videos even count as vaporware?
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Tesla

My renegade femshep looks like Mr(s). Freeze, so I find myself constantly using the Avalanche heavy weapon. Unlike all the other HW's, it's not so good for big mechs and the like. It is, however, really fun and effective to use on groups of normal enemies.

I don't understand the hoarding mentality with special weapons though. Use it or lose it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I thought they were pretty pointless.

The arc projector had its uses on insanity with large groups, but mostly, meh, coulda done without em, ammo was too scarce and they felt too slow and sluggish (yes, heavy weapon, but god, why drag it along for the off chance you meet a giant reaper human skeleton terminator thing right?).

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Teran
    @kitae: The main flaw I see in your data is that you haven't seemed to sorted it based on the difficulty level players were thinking of when they answered.

To give an example, on normal I never used heavy weapons.  On the hardest difficulty, I only used it against bosses with big shields and biotic barriers.  My answers would be different depending on which difficulty I thought of when answering the question.
    defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By defaultprophet

Usually used the collector laser and saved it for bosses or minibosses. In Lair of the Shadow Broker on Insanity though I had to use the Arc Projector on the waves of enemies coming in by flying truck.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

My main problem with heavy weapons was how long it took them to get off your back. I don't mind the limited ammo, but how slow they were to load up really made me feel like they weren't an 'on-the-fly' option. When in trouble in a firefight and caught with the wrong weapon or no ammo, I would switch to my other weapon before my heavy weapon only so I could get more damage downrange faster. What this means is that throughout the game, I have way more experience with my regular weapons than my heavy weapons, so I don't necessarily trust my abilities with them in an emergency. If I'm rarely using my heavy weapon, then I don't feel comfortable relying on it over my trusted formulas.

If I were to throw a suggestion, it would be to make the heavy weapon more accessible than a regular weapon, and have their power be a recharge rather than an exploration thing. Then again, I guess that makes it a bit too close to regular powers. The idea is to create something the player can use without feeling like they've hampered themselves later, because if they never use it in 'regular' situations, they lack the experience to handle it reliably in 'emergency' situations.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By rapid

Yeah definitely agree with this poll, most heavy weapon I used was the Cain on Bosses. I thought at first I would  try to use a new heavy weapons every mission but since ammo was sparse I just stuck to one kind of Heavy Weapon, the one I knew could get the job done. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.