How should I replay the game?

#1 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

So I beat it once so far, on Veteran/Infiltrator/Paragon/Male.

I thought about replaying it with my old character, but I always wanted to be a soldier so I could use shockwave, etc.

It's weird, I actually feel like an asshole when I'm mean to people, even if they are a video game character, so I don't think I could go the renegade route.  Now I'm curious If I should get sexual reassignment surgery and go female, does anyone know if the game changes significantly because of gender?

Thanks!
#2 Posted by Daroki (709 posts) -

The voice acting is worth going female for, I didn't play much of ME2 as a male before my save file got corrupted but it did feel different but not significantly so (maybe with the exception of the romantic options).  

And agreed, I tried a second playthrough as a renegade and just couldn't keep to it for some reason.  
#3 Posted by roughneck117 (188 posts) -

Who did you romance? Go by that.

And no, the game doesnt change because you play a different gender. Think of what the devs would have to do, how much they would have to spend on something that a lot of people are never going to play.
#4 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -
@roughneck117: 
I actually created three different saves at the end of my last game where I set up a relationship with Miranda, Kelly, and/or Tali.  That way, when I use my save file for ME3, I would have an option.  
And can I that while Miranda's scene was more fun to watch, Tali is just a sweetheart, so I think she would be the one who I stay true with into the third game.
#5 Posted by roughneck117 (188 posts) -

Three?? That isnt nearly enough. Theres Miranda, Tali, and Jack...but theres also Liara, which is a continued romance from ME1, and now that Ashley is coming back in ME3 that means theres got to be another one where you have no relationship and you are faithful to ashley...fuck me thats like 5 gameplays...damn.

#6 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5251 posts) -

Renegade Lady Shep.

I swear to god it makes you more of a man.

#7 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -

Actually the game changes quite a bit.

Female Shepard can't carry as much ammunition, nor do her melee attacks hit as hard.  Additionally enemy hp and damage numbers have been reduced as it would be unfair for them to fight female Shepard without the handicap.  Oh, you can't go into the Men's bathroom anymore either.

Joking aside, the only changes are romance options and some dialog choices but they are few and far between.
#8 Posted by Isaac (119 posts) -
@Teran said:
" Actually the game changes quite a bit.

Female Shepard can't carry as much ammunition, nor do her melee attacks hit as hard.  Additionally enemy hp and damage numbers have been reduced as it would be unfair for them to fight female Shepard without the handicap.  Oh, you can't go into the Men's bathroom anymore either.

Joking aside, the only changes are romance options and some dialog choices but they are few and far between.
"
Don't forget that by choosing female, you also replace the role of the ships cook/janitor.. And you don't want him going jobless now do ya?
#9 Posted by tekshow (67 posts) -

This has been one of my all time favorite series. I liked ME1, but ME2 just struck a chord with me. I've played quite a few of the classes and made as many different choices as I could. Only was able to make one renegade playthrough, not so much of a badass as the load texts describe as just an asshole. It was tough to make those calls and I found myself just saying "sorry I have to" and pulling the trigger. Some of the flash renegade icon choices are really worth while, especially the fire fight stuff. Like when you trap that eclipse merc and you need to decide to give her a second chance or just shoot her. If you give her a second chance you find out she lied to you and she is off to commit future murders.  

I haven't played Soldier in a while, but I found a lot of enjoyment out of the Vanguard and Adept classes. The biotics of Adept was a lot of fun to play, you're almost too powerful and can single handedly strip the health from crowds of enemies. It's like power from the safety of cover, because you can send out singularity at almost every enemy and follow it up with another blast like warp. If you add Reave to the mix it's just lol worthy.  

Vanguard was awesome too, probably one of my favorite character classes in any game. You've got no choice but to zip in their with a biotic charge and get your hands dirty. It's gutsy, and it's a total thrill to take out a room by flashing all over the place in a biotic stream. This class was tougher than Adept, but probably more rewarding.  

This game has so much value in the replayability. Connecting it to the next installment of the series even gives that replay value a boost.  

And you MUST sleep with everyone. :) 

#10 Posted by tourgen (4432 posts) -

Vanguard at 1 step below insane, cranking down on every renegade prompt they throw at you.  Shotgun blazing the whole time.  It's a a fun ride.

#11 Posted by SPCTRE (189 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
Renegade Lady Shep. I swear to god it makes you more of a man.
Yes.
#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Nah.. there's nothing worth a replay IMO 

the quest NPCs are static figures standing still, nothing interesting about going up to those 2 korgans again and listening to them talk about fish in the lake 
the romance.. well, you fucked this and that, now you'll fuck that and this. I don't see the point in sexing Miranda, i chose Jack for example, so if i replay it's nothing but a different 'sex scene' with another character 
and the choices... they're very bland and obvious. red for bad, blue for good. does anything critical change? not really, because ME2 is all about A, B or C all resulting in X, only in different ways

#13 Posted by Damodar (1304 posts) -
@SPCTRE said:
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
Renegade Lady Shep. I swear to god it makes you more of a man.
Yes.
Yeah, I'm a staunch femshep supporter. Especially when she's being badass and bitchy :P It's just a shame that the facial textures on any custom character are way worse than default Shepard.
#14 Posted by tekshow (67 posts) -

I just rolled a femshep last night and she looks alright. Managed to get her to come out rather cute looking. I think the lack of hair options contributes to the face equation. Mine looks kinda like Kirsten Dunce all grown up.  

And it's a kick when she's roughing people up. 

#15 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -

A female vanguard, be an bitch to everybody and dont bother with any of the upgrades or loyalty missions. That should make for a different kind of playthrough.

#16 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@tourgen said:
Vanguard at 1 step below insane, cranking down on every renegade prompt they throw at you.  Shotgun blazing the whole time.  It's a a fun ride.
Huh?  Why would you do that?  If you're playing on hardcore, you might as well be playing on insanity.  The difference is pretty small between them.

All but a few enemies have the same damage output and durability on hardcore as they do on insanity and you take the same amount of damage.  The only thing that really felt any different to me was certain enemies acting a lot more aggressively, which is as much an advantage as a disadvantage most of the time.
#17 Posted by probablytuna (3553 posts) -

Do whatever, but play it on Insanity. It's awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.