I can't play this game anymore, thanks to Alpha Protocol.

• 66 results
#51 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
"you win over people in mass effect 2 with what you say, you do it in alpha protocol with how you say it. "
Not being a total ninny in missions helps, too.
#52 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

grab a fucking stopwatch or something what the fuck is this thread?

#53 Posted by yinstarrunner (1199 posts) -
@Edwardryu said:
Bioware is the king of third-person cover-based shooters with dialog trees.
Fixed that for you.  Obsidian has always made RPGs with far more interesting characters, dialogue, and stories than both Bioware and Bethesda.

No, they are not king of polish, nor the masters of bug-free games.  But when it comes to creating actual Role-playing games, they are second to none.  At least in my opinion.

Bioware made a cool universe in Mass Effect, but don't pretend that Mass Effect 2 is actually good AS AN RPG.  That's absurd.
#54 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

I liked Alpha Protocol.  I think I placed it as 4th best, simply because I want to see more of that style of game.

Better than ME2?  Man.  I wish.  Then there would be two incredible games from 2010 instead of just one.

And as for the countdown, sometimes it was good and made sense (Riots or assassination?  Which do you mine data about?) when others are just stupid (planning the hotel heist, why would I need to quickly make a decision about how I speak to Scarlet despite the fact it's the PLANNING PHASE?)

#55 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (761 posts) -

Alpha Protocol COULD have been a great game. Good plot, tons of options that can affect your storyline, a lot of ways for you to play the game, but the actual gameplay is just busted.

It just seems like they gave up on it after they found out that they'd be doing New Vegas.

#56 Edited by Edwardryu (437 posts) -
@yinstarrunner: well, there is difference between pure RPG and hybrid. Obsidian focus on too much RPG element. so it gets boring. you know what. nowadays RPG trend has been going through. it's hybrid. people have started to get bored (I mean most people not some hardcore gamers).  it is inevitable. coming years, you will see more hybrid action RPG. trust me. that's why Bioware is genius to get people's attention. even dragon age 2 has been alter, little more innovative to make itself hybrid. I like that. I don't want to sit in the end of 1990s, 2007s RPG bored. 
#57 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Letting people expect "Mass Effect with Spies" in the first place was probably their biggest mistake.  This was only compounded when ME2 came out and suddenly had competent regular TPS gameplay, and then people assumed (unfairly) that Alpha Protocol would also play like a regular TPS.   "
I don't think it's unfair at all, sicne from the get-go it presents itself as a ME2-style TPS. Sure the pre-release press didn't help, but the way the game presents itself to the player is not very intuitive. Whether you want to blame the faulty gameplay on the crappy mechanics or the game's inability to clearly display what kind of game it really is, it's crappy design either way. 

That having been said, I enjoyed AP a lot. Not more than ME1 or 2 but it was still a good time. It almost makes me mad at Obsidian because with just a little bit more work and some polish here and there it could have easily been one of my games of the year (and other people's, I'm sure). 

@ryanwho said:
" @Dany said:
" @zombie2011 said:
" Why don't you just imagine there is clock ticking down.  "
Or actually make the dialogue decisions in a timely fashion.  "
You shouldn't have to actively play a game a certain way to avoid shitty things that take you out of the moment. Any time you're compelled to say "play the game differently" what you're actually saying is this is a game mechanic problem, not a game player problem.  "
Which also describes just about every second of combat in AP.

I also don't see the lack of a timer a something that breaks immersion...but maybe it's just because it's something I'm used to playing games without. Most games I've played int he past with dialogue options do not have any sort of timer, so it's something of a non-issue I've come to accept. It added an interesting element in AP, but I don't feel it's a necessary component of that style of game to the point where it's omission detracts from the experience.
#58 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

And finally someone realizes the pathetic excuse of a dialog that Mass Effect has.

#59 Posted by Milkman (16801 posts) -
@Dany said:
" @zombie2011 said:
" Why don't you just imagine there is clock ticking down.  "
Or actually make the dialogue decisions in a timely fashion.  "
I don't agree with the OP at all but this is idiotic. "Why don't you just pretend that this game has game mechanics that it's actually lacking?"
#60 Posted by Jahandar (37 posts) -

I didn't have the paragon/renegade problem in ME2. I would just do what I felt like, and up with a character who was generally good, but in some cases I wanted and chose the renegade option, like when that Blood Pack Krogan is going on and on about how he's going to kill everyone. I have no problem going renegade against people plotting to kill everyone, and the option was there for me. 

I haven't played Alpha Protocol, so I can't make any direct comparisons, but I can say that I don't think some artificial time limit mechanic tossed in makes for any better dialogs one way or another.

#61 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

It feels like with this game is that it does one thing very well, and that is tell its story and that's about it. Most people who talk about the gameplay, you have to follow a flowchart in order for the game to play somewhat well... and that just seems janky right there. I have interest in this game, but if the GAME part is no fun, i'm not gonna bother with it.   

#62 Posted by Tennmuerti (8104 posts) -
@OneManX said:

" It feels like with this game is that it does one thing very well, and that is tell its story and that's about it. Most people who talk about the gameplay, you have to follow a flowchart in order for the game to play somewhat well... and that just seems janky right there. I have interest in this game, but if the GAME part is no fun, i'm not gonna bother with it.    "

No you don't.
In AP as long as you don't spread your point's all across every ability and concentrate on at least one weapon or melee skill, you will be fine. Which is logical for almost any RPG.
 All weapon options are viable, you don't  have to play stealth if you don't want to either.

#63 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -

Man there is one thing thats kinda cool in Alpha Protocol and its not in ME2.
Mass Effect 2 sucks.

#64 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is a technical-problematic game which is also in my top piece of shit games in history.

#65 Posted by kerse (2114 posts) -

i dont really get why everyone is making such a big deal about how long you can take to think of something to say in mass effect, its a video game, and id rather be able to say what i want instead of just picking one that looks good cause i only have a couple seconds

#66 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@kerse said:
" i dont really get why everyone is making such a big deal about how long you can take to think of something to say in mass effect, its a video game, and id rather be able to say what i want instead of just picking one that looks good cause i only have a couple seconds "
Well people like the timed system because it's a more realistic. 
It's actually much more natural, because your under duress at the same time as the game character. 
#67 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Alphiehyr said:
" Alpha Protocol is a technical-problematic game which is also in my top piece of shit games in history. "
That going over the top there, I'd say.
I've beaten AP 4 times and never had a single issue. It just doesn't have the most amazing graphics ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.