Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

I keep dying on Insanity because...

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

... my guy keeps jumping out of cover. I don't know what the fuck is going on with my fingers. I have beaten the game 2 times on Hard and it NEVER happened. Now I'm on Insanity and 90% of my deaths are caused by me jumping over whatever cover I'm using. It is driving me insane. I'm in the collector ship right now, at the part where everyone seems to think is the hardest in the game. I have died 5 times, all 4 of them because I jumped out of cover. 

Am I the only one to whom this happens?

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By sickVisionz

I had an issue where the camera would get stuck in a sidescroller Contra angle, which made it near impossible to navigate and it only happened in the middle of firefights.

Also, there are attacks that one of the creatures on the ship does that will knock you out of cover.  You're not getting hit by those are you?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Slaker117

If I remember right the collectors have an attack that can knock you out of cover. Given that you've beaten the game twice you are probably aware if this, but just in case you're not, is that possibly what's happening? If not, I have no idea. I beat that game three times and never had that problem.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AuthenticM
    @sickVisionz said:
    " You're not getting hit by those are you? "
    No, I can see those coming and can evade them. I think I know what the problem is. When I pop my head up to shoot when in cover and empty my magazine, my guy will reload while still being up, but the game still registers him as being in cover, which he will go back into as soon as he's finished reloading. But my brain keeps telling me to hit up on the stick and X to put him back into cover, him being up and reloading, but, seeing as he's still registered as in cover, the game interprets this as me wanting to get OUT of cover. Goddamn.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By mordukai
    @AuthenticM: 
    DING DONG! 

"Welcome to the wonderful world of ME2 on insanity where all the game's faults become clearly visible. Please take a number from the counter and step forward when your number is called" 
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slaker117

Heh. That will do it. Hope you manage your way through isane, it can be a bitch in spots because of random little things like that.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By easthill

Insanity really highlights the less than great combat in that game. Some parts were truly frustrating because of small things like this.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AuthenticM

I got it. I died 7 times on that part. Now I'm done with the collector ship. I hear the next hard part is the IFF thingy with all those Husks coming at you. Any tips before I get there?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Afroman269
    @AuthenticM: It wasn't as hard as you might think. Roll with a shotgun with incendiary ammo and basically run around as much as you can while shooting the husks. The only tough parts are when scions appear. The sniper rifle I picked up from the collector ship destroys them. So ya basically always stay mobile, don't get surrounded or you'll be bitch slapped to death. Try to research heavy weave which reduces melee damage from guys.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
    @AuthenticM: What class are you playing as?
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AuthenticM
    @xyzygy: Soldier. So far it has proved very useful.
    Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zlimness

All kinds of weird shit happened to me when I played ME2 on Insanity. Got stuck behind cover and couldn't move, climbed on top of cover, went through the roof several times and got stuck in random level geometry. This ain't no Gears of War, that's for sure. I don't have any good advice on strategies, just max out ammo types and adrenaline. I hope you picked up the assault rifle on the collector's ship, because you'll be using it a lot.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ShaneDev

Horizon and to a much lesser extent the Collector ship were the two biggest humps to get over on my insanity run although I was playing as an Adept so it really depends what class you are. Playing on insane really shows you how average and shitty parts of the shooting are in this game. Some things I found frustrating to watch were Shepard getting stuck on cover, randomly exiting cover while moving along cover, going into that stupid 5 second "I am on fire" animation which allows everyone to shoot him, have the camera get be in awkward places, have your team mates do stupid shit like walk in front of you or go on some long round about route to get to the cover you told them to get to, glitching into walls and getting stuck on top of crates and cover, not being able to exit a mission when it was finished and the movement while in combat was stiff and slow meaning it takes way too long for you to turn around and face enemies. Great game and some of these problems only really become problems on the higher difficulties but they should not be problems at all. I hope since they already went full third person shooter in this game that they get people who can actually make a decent third person shooter for the next game.    

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AuthenticM
    @zlimness said:
    " I hope you picked up the assault rifle on the collector's ship, because you'll be using it a lot. "
    I chose the uber sniper rifle. I remember not liking this assault rifle the first time I played through the game. Besides, one of the DLC packs has a semi-automatic rifle that destroys pretty much everything.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy
    @AuthenticM said:

" @xyzygy: Soldier. So far it has proved very useful. "

OK, I can't really help you much there because I stayed as far away from that class as possible :P 

Also... if you think it's hard on Insanity with a Soldier... try it with an Adept like I did :|
    blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blueaniman93
    @Slaker117 said:
    " If I remember right the collectors have an attack that can knock you out of cover. Given that you've beaten the game twice you are probably aware if this, but just in case you're not, is that possibly what's happening? If not, I have no idea. I beat that game three times and never had that problem. "
    Yeah the collector harbinger has an attack that takes you out of cover. It's annoying to get around but I got it after many, many tries.
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By tourgen

I had a controller with a janky left stick.  When ever I would use the pause-select power in cover Shepard would always creep left in cover after I exited the menu.  The stick didn't recenter properly and I was usually selecting a power on the left side.  Sometimes he would get confused at the edge of cover and get killed.  Pretty annoying. 

I'm a fan of melee and shotguns on husks.  Bring Grunt along and let him charge around too.

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By THRICE

The biggest problem for me with Insanity aside from it is incredibly cheap in parts is the game is too difficult for its own mechanics. The game is too reliant on cover on Insane but without any forgiveness on the fact the cover mechanic is very rigid and can be hard to go into because weird instances of animation priority where Shep has to be facing a certain way in relation to whatever it is you want to stick to in addition to not being in the middle of another action. I died probably dozens of times over my near 40 hour playthrough because of stuff like I was running to a crate but was slightly cockeyed and that moment of awkwardness let them hit me with that knockback attack I never saw in other difficulties and 3 dudes shot me.  Just thinking of insane pisses me off and makes me hope there isn't a trophy/achievement in ME3 again for it.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @xyzygy said:
    " @AuthenticM said:

" @xyzygy: Soldier. So far it has proved very useful. "

OK, I can't really help you much there because I stayed as far away from that class as possible :P  Also... if you think it's hard on Insanity with a Soldier... try it with an Adept like I did :| "
    Adept makes Mass Effect 2 on insanity a fucking cake walk. Vanguard is the hardest class to play as. Actually Engineer but why would you play as that?

Unless all you did was use warp as a damage dealer. But if you set up your traps and use combos Shepard fights like something out of X-Men. You just have to pick the right members, either going Thane/Miranda and Samara or bringing people that mesh well for shields like Garrus

If there was a tier list it would rank it.

Sentinel
    Adept
    Infiltrator
    Soldier
    Vanguard
    Engineer.

We should make a tier list for squad mates..should I just start a topic now?
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Brendan
    @Mordukai said:
    " @AuthenticM: 
    DING DONG! 
      "Welcome to the wonderful world of ME2 on insanity where all the game's faults become clearly visible. Please take a number from the counter and step forward when your number is called"  "
    I honestly think that Bioware could make a much better playing ME3 by studying how everything works on the insanity difficulty level: There's nothing that would tighten up that games janky bits than building it for when the player has to work the gameplay systems much faster than expected to cope with abnormal difficulty.  
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Undeadpool
    @AuthenticM: Two words my friend: Sniper. Rifle. For one, you can't vault over cover when you're in scope-mode (though the whole leaving cover thing never happened to me unless I got smacked by the Harbinger), but also it's just a crazy-good and Collector's still respond to headshots. Other than that, I rolled with Jack and her Shockwave devastates Husks, and Mordin who chews through armor like sweet, sweet Bubble-Yum. Hope this helps.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By NTM

I only had one problem. It was only on the 360 version, but the problem was that every time I was on cover and wanted to stick to the right, or just be stationary, Shepard often moved gradually to the left as if my controller was messed up, but I know it isn't.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By YoThatLimp
    @Mordukai said:
    " @AuthenticM: 
    DING DONG! 
      "Welcome to the wonderful world of ME2 on insanity where all the game's faults become clearly visible. Please take a number from the counter and step forward when your number is called"  "
    Totally. Seriously FUCK Zaeeds  loyalty mission. 3 or 4 times, my 2 companions were locked out of the final room, but were able to shoot through the wall? I love the game, but insanity was too much for me hah. 
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By AndrewB

Yeah, insanity definitely brings out the flaws in the game. Mostly AI issues (teammates getting stuck on something and dying). Lots of accidental leaping from cover because you hammered the A button (or whatever the cover button is on your controller of choice) one too many times in an attempt to make sure your character actually ducked behind cover,  because sometimes Shepard just decides standing right next to cover and getting shot repeatedly is what you meant to do when you hammered the A button.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.