I'm worried now

#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I know Bioware won't do it.

I know they won't, but I can't fully dismiss it.

I'm worried that they are just going to kill off Shepard and just start you off with a new guy, completing demolishing any hope one may have had of porting over all their hard work from the previous game.

I would be extremely disappointed should it come to this.

On a lighter note however, I bet there will be more of this at E3, almost guarnteed considering Microsoft has no really big headliners this year; I guess unless you want to count FFXIII, but I wouldn't considering it isn't coming out until 2010 or later.

#2 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

Maybe its one of those, "he's not really dead."

I never played the 1st so idk.

#3 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

you know that mass effect is also coming out in 2010 right?

#4 Posted by deathfury (539 posts) -
RedSox8933 said:
"you know that mass effect is also coming out in 2010 right?
"
So it should be called Mass Effect 10
#5 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

First of all...CALLED IT BITCH
Second, maybe you can find Shepard's body and loot from it all the items you had on your original ME save.

#6 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Dude, they said you can take your shepard over. They aren't going to do that.

#7 Posted by Lieutenant (347 posts) -

I highly doubt they will kill him/her off. Maybe IF they did it's something to with the character porting. I.E. Players who port their characters over continue to use Shepard but new players take the role of a different character.

Probably would cost too much to pay 4 people to voice the main character though.

More than likely it's just something that's involved with the story. Shits hit the fan so Shepard is forced switch identities.

#8 Posted by Magnum (349 posts) -

Shepard becomes Geth?

#9 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I doubt he is actually dead. With all the crap he went through in the first game he better have not been killed by a stinking geth trooper.

#10 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I also, doubt he's dead. If he is dead, why do you really care? "Port over all of their hard work" what the crap? How does that matter? I'd understand if you really liked Shepard (which I can't understand anyone actually doing) but if it's just so you can port over all your "hard work" then there's no point.

#11 Posted by Milkman (17316 posts) -

It's stupid to start speculating these things now. It's just a teaser. BioWare just wants you to watch and be all like "OH SHIT!" and get all super excited. I don't know about you, but it sure had that effect on me.

#12 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Best Teaser EVER!
But, I don't think they will kill of Shepard. If they do I'll be one of the first to cry. :D

#13 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

The trailer was designed to get everyone hyped up, nothing more.

#14 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Teaser trailer successfully is teasing. Teaser trailer is making people to speculate the obvious. Remember Halo 3's ending? Master Chief didn't die. There is going to be some backstory on it, I promise you.

#15 Posted by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

There are a few possibilities that I could see:
- Shepard actually is dead. In this case, I can guarantee that Bioware will provide a sufficient explanation of how such a bad ass could be taken down.
- Shepard's death is faked in order to allow him to continue his investigation of the Geth while remaining off the radar.
- Everyone thinks Shepard is dead, you play as some other player, then at some point later on in the story, Shepard sweeps in and saves your ass at some critical moment (this would be awesome).

#16 Edited by JustinNotJason (422 posts) -

Ya know I had a theory, but now I just don't think it's right.

He's probably not dead, it's probably part of the plot. Even if he is dead, I didn't fall in love with my character, I fell in love with the game. I just hope they fix those freakin bugs and make those god-awful side missions alot better. If they do that I could careless if Sheperd Lives.

#17 Posted by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

I agree. I really don't care about Shepard. The only think I need Bioware to do is fix the freaking loot/inventory system.

#18 Posted by ColMustard (357 posts) -

I like the loot shepard theory... seriously though, the shouldnt kill him off. hes one of the best main characters this generation.  Much better than a lot of the stereotypical brutish leads out there.

#19 Posted by Binman88 (3690 posts) -
Red said:
"I also, doubt he's dead. If he is dead, why do you really care? "Port over all of their hard work" what the crap? How does that matter? I'd understand if you really liked Shepard (which I can't understand anyone actually doing) but if it's just so you can port over all your "hard work" then there's no point."
Yep, I doubt he's dead either but I really couldn't care less if he was. I don't remember working very hard to play the game. I just played the game.
#20 Posted by HistoryInRust (6402 posts) -
Milkman said:
"It's stupid to start speculating these things now. It's just a teaser. BioWare just wants you to watch and be all like "OH SHIT!" and get all super excited. I don't know about you, but it sure had that effect on me.
"
Haha.  This.

Seriously.  Don't get worked up about plot technicalities.  A lot of times, teasers have little connection to the actual plot of the game.  I'm sure Shepard is still hanging around.  Maybe you get a Geth teammate this time?  Who knows. 

I didn't love Mass Effect, I liked it, but I didn't think it was the best thing since sliced bread.  Mass Effect 2 might just make me eat my words, though.
#21 Posted by HistoryInRust (6402 posts) -

Also, if they keep/expand on the ambiance of the soundtrack, I'm in regardless. 

The Mass Effect score was brilliant.

#22 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

If Shepard does turn out to be dead, I hope there will be DLC leading up to the release of Mass Effect 2 where he dies.

That'd be awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.