Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Insanity is bullshit If the game is going to cheat so am I !

• 51 results
    Redjoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Redjoker

I cannot for the life of me get past the infamous flying platform's on the derelict collector ship.  I don't think its fair that you can be knocked out  cover so often with only 2 fucking feet of breathing room. The AI sucks the covers broken so if I move I stand up. Miranda thinks hold position means  run up and go give the collectors hugs. I have no issue with reasonable challenge but I would rather play COD world at war on vet then this utter mess of bad combat mechanics. I am buying mass effect 3 used when it comes out because of this lame shit. Is the achievement worth my time at this point or should I go play..minecraft or something. Or if theres maybe an exploit someone knows of.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Yeah, Insanity really highlights a lot of the numerous flaws ME2's combat has. Like why the shit can't I blind fire?? So annoying to pop out for like a single shot to also lose your entire shield in the process.

JustinSane311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By JustinSane311
    @Redjoker: That part really isn't that hard.  All you have to do is shoot the Cain Heavy Weapon twice and that should kill everyone.
    Redjoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Redjoker

How did this get GOTY from giant bomb? They must really like the story I think the story is okay meh at best. I mean why the fuck would you recruit half the universes gene pool only to bring two freaking dudes into combat with you. The other people are not even useful as a collective until the very end!! WTF??? They also don't let you play with the ME 1 story at all your stuck with a vanilla story start no matter what So those of us that lost data from ME1 due to faulty Xbox HDD are fucked! Atleat release the comic on xbox so we can tweak shit.  

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShaneDev

I have an insane play through but I stopped just before the collector ship but playing on insane lets you see how average the actual shooting is. Things like not being able to blind fire or having to go through a 3 second animation when I get set on fire or getting knocked out of cover for 2 seconds no good reason and having Shepherd stand up and then get shot. The up close melee is also not very good. Its those little things that really annoy me playing on Insane.

Redjoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Redjoker
    @JustinSane311 said:
    " @Redjoker: That part really isn't that hard.  All you have to do is shoot the Cain Heavy Weapon twice and that should kill everyone. "
    Dont have it I missed a heavy weapon ammo because Mordins loyalty mission glitched and I had to reload and forgot to pick it up again. Which is another fucked up thing the upgrade system. I thought I would never miss the mass effect  inventory system I was wrong. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@JustinSane311 said:
    " @Redjoker: That part really isn't that hard.  All you have to do is shoot the Cain Heavy Weapon twice and that should kill everyone. "
    Is that the giant tactical nuclear laser? I FUCKING LOVE THAT WEAPON.
    JustinSane311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JustinSane311
    @GetEveryone: Yes it is.  First time I used that weapon my jaw dropped! 
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I agree that this part is insanely hard (as it should be, its insane after all) but I got past it.

Be sure to take someone like Grunt with you since he's a freaking tank and someone who is effective against harbinger, he's the irritating factor of the fights.

Again, it's insanity, its supposed to be insane to do, yes you will die a lot, but then you might wanna consider that insanity isn't your cup of tea.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Enigma777

Suck less

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Shadow

Okay then, give up if you must.  *holds out hand* Testicles, please.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Azteck

I know a lot of people who have finished it on insanity. I've done it too. Just takes some time, you're playing on the hardest difficulty for Christ's sake.

Redjoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Redjoker
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " I agree that this part is insanely hard (as it should be, its insane after all) but I got past it.  Be sure to take someone like Grunt with you since he's a freaking tank and someone who is effective against harbinger, he's the irritating factor of the fights.  Again, it's insanity, its supposed to be insane to do, yes you will die a lot, but then you might wanna consider that insanity isn't your cup of tea. "
    I should not die from stupid bullshit is the problem. This is the only part I got stuck on the rest was cake. The prior part of the game was not hard because I could use my skills and tactics on logical playing field. This part is just broken and the ai WILL NOT FOLLOW orders I send grunt and Miranda behind cover and they leap over and haul ass right when the collectors land. Challenge is my cup of tea not broken bullshit.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gamefreak9

its true its not skill based like it should be, since the loses you get are so cheap

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rawrnosaurous
    @Redjoker:  You know what's also bullshit? The fact that your threatening to buy Mass Effect 3 used because you can't man up to the fact that you can't beat it on insane. How dare they make the hardest difficulty a challenge that you can't overcome and make two games in a franchise that you have obviously bought, played, and enjoyed. Totally makes sense to punish the developer.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @Redjoker said:
    " How did this get GOTY from giant bomb? They must really like the story I think the story is okay meh at best. I mean why the fuck would you recruit half the universes gene pool only to bring two freaking dudes into combat with you. The other people are not even useful as a collective until the very end!! WTF??? They also don't let you play with the ME 1 story at all your stuck with a vanilla story start no matter what So those of us that lost data from ME1 due to faulty Xbox HDD are fucked! Atleat release the comic on xbox so we can tweak shit.   "
    Your HDD got the RROD?
    Redjoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Redjoker
    @Rawrnosaurous said:
    " @Redjoker:  You know what's also bullshit? The fact that your threatening to buy Mass Effect 3 used because you can't man up to the fact that you can't beat it on insane. How dare they make the hardest difficulty a challenge that you can't overcome and make two games in a franchise that you have obviously bought, played, and enjoyed. Totally makes sense to punish the developer. "
    Its not a "threat" Its not like they would not nickel and dime me with the rest of the weapons that should be in ME3 but will get cut for extra $$$. Give me a game that is not fucked up and you will get 60$
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Your playing of Insane, of course its going to be hard. 
    Is that a good excuse on Bioware's part? No, not really. Insane really shows some of the flaws between classes. I love the vanguard class but its completely useless on Insane. 
    Hopefully Bioware will learn from these mistakes and balance ME3 better.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By amir90

I didn 't have that much trouble on insanity, you have to do it slowly.

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoMate
    @Shadow said:
    "Okay then, give up if you must.  *holds out hand* Testicles, please. "

haha, I'm so happy I did got the game finished on insanity now
    Redjoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Redjoker
    @wasteguru said:
    " Your playing of Insane, of course its going to be hard. Is that a good excuse on Bioware's part? No, not really. Insane really shows some of the flaws between classes. I love the vanguard class but its completely useless on Insane. Hopefully Bioware will learn from these mistakes and balance ME3 better. "
    Thank you. God forbid they play test the fucking difficulty with multiple classes. 
    Redjoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Redjoker

I will reload to before Mordins side quest grab the ammo and see it that cain wont help things. right now it's break time before my rage leaves a Crater where Bioware HQ is. 

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By mesoian
    @Redjoker:
    you're doing it wrong. 

If you don't have the Cain, switch off to the arc tractory weapon you get as DLC and aim for the collector psychic guys. Once those are are taken out, you don't have to worry about ever being knocked out of cover.  You should be having your entire team target those guys as, but this time in the game, you should have enough medigels to bring them back to life should a harbenger get them. Use up on the D-Pad instead of telling them to get to seperate cover. I used mordin and jacob here, fire kills those things pretty quickly.

If you're having problems with this part, the next part with harbingers and that annoying metal bug boss that comes next is really gonna piss you off.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FancySoapsMan

play something else you're won't be missing much

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Geno
    That's the part on the Collector ship everyone keeps complaining about? I breezed by that on insanity. Then again I played the PC version so it may have been way easier with KB/M.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

AI team mates not being able to dodge shockwave was the main gripe for me, often had to fight the collectors alone for this reason.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

You could always just change the difficulty and enjoy the game. I don't mean to be a smart-ass but Insanity really wasn't that bad. Certainly not COD2 on Vet bad. As long as you don't try to do it with a Vanguard (which is still doable but why give yourself a brain aneurysm?) and use your abilities and weapon loadouts properly you'll get there. Trust me, it ain't the games fault...

Redjoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Redjoker
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " play something else you're won't be missing much "
    I wasted to much time already So If I get that cain and the AI wont bug out I will be golden. I had no problem at all with all the stuff prior to this point which is what had me irritated in the first placed. if I had died as much early on as I did in black ops or gears of war I would not be so pissed off. Enough of this though undead nightmare needs completing.  
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Azteck
    @Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:
    " You could always just change the difficulty and enjoy the game. I don't mean to be a smart-ass but Insanity really wasn't that bad. Certainly not COD2 on Vet bad. As long as you don't try to do it with a Vanguard (which is still doable but why give yourself a brain aneurysm?) and use your abilities and weapon loadouts properly you'll get there. Trust me, it ain't the games fault... "
    Yup
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Redjoker said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " I agree that this part is insanely hard (as it should be, its insane after all) but I got past it.  Be sure to take someone like Grunt with you since he's a freaking tank and someone who is effective against harbinger, he's the irritating factor of the fights.  Again, it's insanity, its supposed to be insane to do, yes you will die a lot, but then you might wanna consider that insanity isn't your cup of tea. "
    I should not die from stupid bullshit is the problem. This is the only part I got stuck on the rest was cake. The prior part of the game was not hard because I could use my skills and tactics on logical playing field. This part is just broken and the ai WILL NOT FOLLOW orders I send grunt and Miranda behind cover and they leap over and haul ass right when the collectors land. Challenge is my cup of tea not broken bullshit. "
    Ok so what you're saying is...
    "BWAAAH THERE'S A PART THATS BROKEN AND THUS TOO HARD FOR ME EVEN THOUGH LOTS OF OTHERS MANAGED TO GET THROUGH IT"

Seriously, man up and keep playing or turn the difficulty down, sure there's lots of problems and the AI sometimes decides its best to charge stuff but its more then doable.
    Might wanna check into your own powers or weapons, the proper counter tactics can make this fight pretty easy.

You also do realize you can just move in cover if Harbinger shoots his knockback projectile and it will miss?
    Only the biotic husks gave me real trouble there, rest was just take em out slowly like all other Insanity fights.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dany

I was a vanguard, had thane, and Miranda both with unstoppable warp and with squad ice ammo...once I figured out the combo to use I got through that part in without dying

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
     I don't have problems dealing with the game making enemies harder to kill all the while making them give out more damage but when the game's obvious flaws becomes a part of the difficulty. Mass Effect 2 Insanity difficulty really highlights the very poor team AI and the fact that they become near useless in combat situation. I can't remember how many times they got themselves killed because they took cover on top of crates. Eventually I just gave up.  
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By dagas

Insane was a bitch, but it felt really good when it was done ^^ They clearly didn't balance the game for insane which one of the few complains I have about the game. If you are a soldier then use the bullet time skill and then pop up and shoot, it's grea for not getting shot since they have no time to react. 

The knocking you out of cover thing is the worst thing in the game, at least after I discovered how to deal with the regenerating krogan and vorcha. 

I know it's frustrating as hell at times playing on insane, but many games are frustrating on the highest difficulty and in pretty much every game the AI cheats in one way or another at hard difficulties. Don't let that cloud your perception of the game.

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Enigmatical

I too had a lot of trouble with that particular section.

But I think I ended up dying more times to the section that follows that (against the Praetorian).

That whole ship level sucked, to be honest, but once you finish it, you really like you accomplished something (even if you have 0 medi-gel and 0 heavy ammo). 

Also, let's hope Mass Effect 3 removes the "stand on cover to shoot bad guys" behavior from the AI teammates... /facepalm

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I'm not done with insanity yet. But so far whenever I've had problems I've just introduced them to my, not so little, friend Cain.  

Shit don't work, you try a new approach instead of raging your ass off. But then again I can understand how it's hard to grasp that when the Call of Duty way to solve a problem is to just try the same thing over and over until you manage to predict every single enemy placement.

But what am I saying? You didn't even complete ME1 on Insanity! You should go back and practice on that one and in at the same time get that precious ME1 save of yours.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KarlPilkington

Use more skill.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sjosz
    @wasteguru:  Well, I played a vanguard on Insanity, and that class is pretty awesome on that difficulty, actually. You just have to get into the right mindset (and have the right squadmate powers available)

@RedJoker: On the topic at hand, yes, that section is hard, but it's Insanity. If you don't plan/figure out a method to get through a fight, look at some youtube videos of people who have managed to get through and see what they did differently. 
    Also, very interesting assumption on ME3 cutting things for extra $$$. Completely baseless, but still.
    morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By morrelloman

I died the most when I did that part with Vanguard. The key is to not freak out and stay put in your original cover spot. The Scions will miss 90% of the time because 
    A) the platform is moving
    B) they are at a different height than you and the shot gets lost.

If you have a sniper rifle no excuse not to murder that part.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By EuanDewar

I'd just like to point out the difficulty level is called "Insanity".

Thats "Insanity"

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I've never played insanity. Why? Because I know that it would be too fucking hard for me and I would just end up hating my experience with it. Maybe it's time you realize that too. Lower the difficulty a tad, and carry on.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shabs
    @EuanDewar said:
    " I'd just like to point out the difficulty level is called "Insanity".

Thats "Insanity" "
    This. 

I go through ME games on Normal once and then bump up to Insanity for playthrough #2. It wouldn't be fun to hit those areas for the first time with no idea what to expect and have the enemies be that difficult.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#42  Edited By sammo21
    @Redjoker: You can easily see just how broke most games are when you get into the difficulty levels, that and how developers can't truly make the game more difficult but just make enemies all aware bullet sponges.   

Just keep at it and you'll get it.
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By nick_verissimo

I dunno, if you're not having any fun playing it on Insanity, then just don't play it. The fun I'm having with Mass Effect 2 comes with all the cool Space shit in the game and interacting with the characters.  The fiction is what makes the Mass Effect games fun for me; the gameplay will always be sort of mediocre and not tight enough to really want to play on any higher of a difficulty than Veteran.

TheNarukill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheNarukill

Dude... It's an achievement... Your life wont be any more WIN with it... Let it go, and safe yourself a few broken controllers (Or maybe even TV screens)

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By Sooty

I haven't gotten to the Collector ship yet but from what I hear I will want to throw my pad at a wall.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By MikeFightNight

As the name suggests  it is called Insanity and I did lose my mind more then a few times trying to get an S-rank for the 360 versoin of ME 2.  As someone who doesn't care about s-ranks and only did it because ME 2 is one of my favourite games, I stil have to say that no one should attempt getting through on insanity unless they have huge amounts of patience and free time.  The whole experience could sour you on the game if you don't realize it was never meant to be played that way for enjoyment purposes.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hexx462

It takes patience, but it can be done. Double up on warp and time your heavy weapon usage.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By Kazona

First time on normal with an Infiltrator, I died multiple times. Second time, on insanity, with the same character, I breezed through it.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TorMasturba
    @Redjoker said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    I should not die from stupid bullshit is the problem. This is the only part I got stuck on the rest was cake. The prior part of the game was not hard because I could use my skills and tactics on logical playing field. This part is just broken and the ai WILL NOT FOLLOW orders I send grunt and Miranda behind cover and they leap over and haul ass right when the collectors land. Challenge is my cup of tea not broken bullshit. "

I think I figured this problem out on my Insanity playthrough. 
    For some reason if you put your friendly AI team members in cover and then a new platform shows and connects to yours, once this new platform is connected the AI resets to self-guiding itself. 
    I found that once the new platform connects if I just simply told them to go to cover before they have a chance of popping out of cover then they just stay there and shoot from where they're in cover. 

Also, if you play Insanity make sure you save up before the mission starts, and always take grunt and Miranda  or somebody who has both the abilities and/or skills to rip through biotic shields, normal shields and armor as well. 

Please note that, not as a way of showing off, many people say that Vangaurd is the hardest class to get through Insanity with and I managed to do it, so can you if you grit your teeth and try different tactics, then just keep pushing to move forward. 

There's certain parts of that platform section of the game that if you move far enough forward the enemies stop coming for that point of the platform switching. 
    At least that's how it felt. 

As a tip, if at all possible, use the bullet freezing skill on the guy that you see is about to become a harbinger. usually this'll either pause his transformation and allow you to do significant damage before he unfreezes, or it gets him before his transformation has even started and you can quickly kill him, less likely but it happened for quite a bit while I was doing this bit. 
    Watch out though, he'll always be back for more punishment sooner or later.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mazik765

I finished on Insanity and I'm not even that good. You have to actually think about what you're taking into a mission and how you spec your characters. Everyone who knocks ME2 for having skill progression that doesn't matter obviously has not played it on Insanity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.