Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Liara is way cooler in Shadow Broker than she ever was

dapperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By dapperman

I found the back and forth between Shepard and Liara to be very organic and funny (in that buddy action comedy sort of way). 
    However she really just seemed to be Little Miss Faints-a-lot in ME1. Our Bioware giving this character a personality transplant so we like her in what seems to be a larger role in ME3? Its a little insidious of Bioware in my opinion but hell it is working. That being said Lair of the Shadow Broker is a fantastic piece of content and well worth the Best DLC accolade. 

What our your fine folks thoughts on this change (or is all in my head)? 

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Clinkz

She was boring in Mass Effect 1 and too whiny in shadow broker.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I still don't like her particularly much.

dapperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dapperman

Wait so that means I'm starting to like that bland-ass character and she hasn't changed?!! <looks into mirror> WHAT HAVE I BECOME!!!? :O 

Still Garrus trumps all and it will take a Geth-style personality change for that to be altered

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

I wouldn't call it a transplanted personality.  

If you've read the comic it shows that she's just been changed by the events of the start Mass Effect 2, as in the Normandy blowing up. Like forced to toughen up and whatnot. Her search for Shepard takes her to Omega, and you can't exactly pussyfoot around that place. 

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dtat

I really did like the direction they decided to go with her in Shadow Broker. Having her sort of reveal a little bit of her old self at the end was pretty clever and made me care about her a lot more than I did for the rest of ME2. The whole point of her character it seemed was to be vulnerable in ME1, and they managed to change that while still keeping her sympathetic in Shadow Broker. 

To be honest though, she isn't the strongest character in Mass Effect by far. Some of the writing isn't great, and sometimes the voice actress gets on my nerves with her delivery, but overall I liked the direction they went with her.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By luce

I thought she was great in both games.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By FLStyle

I thought the change between 1 and 2 was a little far-fetched but I did like her a lot better in Shadow Broker.

dapperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dapperman
    @Dtat said:
    " I really did like the direction they decided to go with her in Shadow Broker. Having her sort of reveal a little bit of her old self at the end was pretty clever and made me care about her a lot more than I did for the rest of ME2. The whole point of her character it seemed was to be vulnerable in ME1, and they managed to change that while still keeping her sympathetic in Shadow Broker.  To be honest though, she isn't the strongest character in Mass Effect by far. Some of the writing isn't great, and sometimes the voice actress gets on my nerves with her delivery, but overall I liked the direction they went with her. "
    Sorry if that seemed my intent, but I absolutely agree with you on her not being the strongest. 
    But I actively hated her in the first game (even to go as far as to shack up with Space-Rascist/Turncoat Ash). So for me to not mind her inclusion is a big enough win. 

Also on a side note, if Thane does fall to illness who with me for Feron to replace him as token Drell. For some reason I really digged his VA.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

I thought she was pretty funny in the original, as well, when you'd ''talk'' to her mid mission and she'd comment on something related to the situation. I'll never forget when she implied she was getting a lot of sand up her ass crack during Virmire.. 

Overall she's one of my favourite ME companions and Shadow Broker strengthened that likeability all the more.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Red

Yeah, I found her to be too needy in Mass Effect 1, but Mass Effect 2 in general made me regret choosing the space racist over her.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sumbog

All I know is that in ME3 I'm staying with Tali, F Liara 

dapperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dapperman

I have come to the conclusion that perhaps her personality hasn't flew straight off the wall its just I haven't read the book (or is this the comic) 

Anyone know the name of it?... they all have such vague names

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee
    @johnnysasaki:  
    Feron's voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, best known over GB for voicing Yosuke in Persona 4, so no surprise he has a natural likeability for GBer's :P
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

It's a fair character arc, it's just unfortunate that most of Liara's development happens off-screen.  You can still see elements of her old personality at times though.  If you play a renegade Shep and have a relationship going on with Liara it works out pretty well: Liara appears to become a badass due to Shepard's influence and -at least in the relationship scenes- Shepard's character softens due to Liara's influence.  I was impressed; games rarely bother with regular character arcs, let alone attempting mirrored arcs.

The Liara/Shep scenes at the end of Shadow Broker (at least with Jen Hale at the mic) are some of the best in the series imo, and probably some of the best in gaming full stop.

dapperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dapperman
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @johnnysasaki:  Feron's voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, best known over GB for voicing Yosuke in Persona 4, so no surprise he has a natural likeability for GBer's :P "
    OMG REALLY?!!! 

Mind=Blown thats really excellent news... now I REALLY want him on the crew, throughout the ER I thought that Yosuke had the best "Bro for 'sho" VA
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

She changed for the good.

Bit more attitude, sure of herself yet still kinda fragile and whiny.

Just how I like my alien species!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I actually really like Liara, even though if I had to describe her - meek, nerdy 'good girl' alien-  she sounds like she would be annoying. I think I had more fun in Shadow Broker than in most of the actual missions in ME2 just because I got to chill with her again. I thought they did a good job of explaining why she would want to be take over as the SB (even though how she got into that business in the first place was a bit of a stretch). If she isn't in your party in ME3 I will be PISSED. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Liara is Space Leliana.  Leliara.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By DoctorTran

I will always like Liara. She's probably my favorite female character in all of Mass Effect and she will always be my Shepards Companion.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I liked Liara a lot. Especially since I often teamed her up with Kaidan, which made her the harsher one of the two. Kaidan's such a puss!
    I look forward to see what happens in ME3.. She's certainly a lot more badass since the Shadow Broker.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Jimbo said:
    " The Liara/Shep scenes at the end of Shadow Broker (at least with Jen Hale at the mic) are some of the best in the series imo, and probably some of the best in gaming full stop. "
    This. Also, Hale's smartass comments during the chase sequence are some of her best work.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Brendan

Unconcerned at this point, I'm staying with Lawson.  Who wants kids anyway?

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jrad

I boned Tali in ME2 but kinda wish I stayed loyal to Liara. Really hoping it doesn't screw me over in ME3!

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By slowbird

Liara was cool in ME1 because she was new to the hero business.  Now she's a full-fledged badass hero and she's even cooler.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I didn't really like Liara in the first game, nor her cold demeanor in the second. But in the DLC, she was a bit cooler.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.