Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 - a one playthrough game?

• 90 results
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Atlas

So I started playing Mass Effect 2 the day it was released and finished it a few days later. I found it really engaging, relentlessly entertaining, charming and satisfying. However, I recently played all the way through ME1 in order to import a character into ME2 (couldn't do it the first time because the only character I beat the game with was called Miranda Shepard, and...yeah), and got a few hours into ME2, and just reached a point where I didn't want to play it anymore. Instead, I picked up Dragon Age for a third playthrough, and have been so consumed by the awesomeness of Dragon Age that I haven't picked up ME2 since. And I'm not sure I'll want to pick it back up when I'm done with Dragon Age. And I don't really understand why.

Let's make no mistake about it; Mass Effect 2 is a five star game. It significantly improves some of the biggest flaws with the original game, and since it's BioWare the dialogue and world design is absolutely top notch. But I've found that the more I think about that game and my time spent with it, the more I think that ME2 is really a one playthrough game, which is unusual for a BioWare game, especially since I beat ME1 three times, and as I said, I'm working on my third Dragon Age playthrough. Maybe it's just that the combat is quite clunky and unengaging, or maybe it's because the dialogue and story are much less special the second time around, but I figured that my second playthrough with my imported character would really make that game click with me. My second Dragon Age playthrough was better than my first, and the same goes to Fallout 3. But there is something that is pushing me away from what is ostensibly an excellent game. Could it just be Mass Effect fatigue caused by playing through the original and trying to go straight to the sequel? Could it be that the disappointment I felt with the stripping away of some of the key RPG gameplay aspects has caught up to me? Is it something to do with the buzz that the game caused after people finished it? Has my extreme Dragon Age love affected my perception of ME2? Or is it just that ME2 is an absolutely awesome game...once?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Rhaknar

all games are one playthrough games for me

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Scullinator

You are not alone.  I played through it once and was done after that.  Your post makes me think I might also like dragon age.  I have avoided it because it hear it should really be played on the PC.  Is your love for dragon age on the PC or Xbox?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Scullinator said:
    " You are not alone.  I played through it once and was done after that.  Your post makes me think I might also like dragon age.  I have avoided it because it hear it should really be played on the PC.  Is your love for dragon age on the PC or Xbox? "
    I have it for PS3 and I really like it. The menus are PRETTY good. Not the best. I am most likely gonna go play now! 
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

I think that Mass Effect 2 doesn't nearly have as many branching paths during conversations as Dragon Age: Origins or Fallout 3, meaning you do get stuck in a lot of the slower conversations you've seen before, and a lot of the cool parts of ME2 are the shock at either how cool what you just did was, or in the game's few (but relatively interesting) plot twists. Yet still, I've made up a few different new Sheps for a second playthrough, and I've found that trying the game on Insanity with a class different from the one you played your first time through is worthwhile, albeit a little cheap. 

But still, I haven't quite beaten that second playthrough yet, and haven't found myself nearly as pressed to as I was with my first playthrough of the game.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By gearhead

I got to around my third playthrough --my insanity run-- and I just couldn't play it anymore. I love that game to death but I don't even think I could even pick up any DLC for it.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Atlas
    @Scullinator:  I have put about 150 hours into the Xbox 360 version of Dragon Age. Don't believe the hype. I'm sure the PC version is better, but the console versions are still totally awesome. The slightly inconvenient menu navigation and less impressive visuals are outweighed by the advantage of being able to sit back on your couch with your feet up and experience the gory brilliance. Besides, the dialogue and story telling is the same, and in many ways that's the best bit. 

If Dragon Age was a woman, I'd make love with her over and over again.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Skytylz

I played it twice, the second time on Insanity and I'm definitely not going to play it again anytime soon.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Atlas said:
    " @Scullinator:  I have put about 150 hours into the Xbox 360 version of Dragon Age. Don't believe the hype. I'm sure the PC version is better, but the console versions are still totally awesome. The slightly inconvenient menu navigation and less impressive visuals are outweighed by the advantage of being able to sit back on your couch with your feet up and experience the gory brilliance. Besides, the dialogue and story telling is the same, and in many ways that's the best bit.  If Dragon Age was a woman, I'd make love with her over and over again. "
    Have you gotten into awakening? What about DLC? 
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By Chris2KLee

Funny, I had kinda the opposite reaction. I was steaming through DA, and then ME2 came out and stole away my game time. Beat ME2 three times since, and my DA save hasn't progressed much father than since I left it. The streamlined nature of ME2 just grabbed me I guess. It's like a great one and a half hour action movie in my mind, something I can just sit down and watch again and again. DA is sitting there like the Lord of the Rings extended-cut trilogy, impressive, but not something I can really invest in at the moment.

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Andheez
    @Rhaknar said:
    " all games are one playthrough games for me "
    I agree.  It is EXTREMELY rare for me to play a game more than once.  I think the last game I played twice was Bioshock.
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Atlas
    @The_Laughing_Man: I have all three DLC packs (Stone Prisoner came with my copy of the game). I think they're all pretty good. Awakening is fucking fantastic. I played through the whole expansion in a couple of days. If you can overlook the slight weirdness of the character import feature, it's about as good as an expansion pack can be. The new area is a really cool place to explore, the characters aren't as memorable but are still pretty good, but the real strength is all the new skills and abilities that really adds a significant new dimension to the game. You do however end up slightly overpowered, so if you appreciate the challenge of the original game, you might want to bump up the difficulty to hard. Actually scratch that, the story is the best part, but c'mon, it's a BioWare, that's a given. It's an effective coda to the main game while at the same time lays the foundation for the sequel. Cannot recommend it enough if you liked the main game.

But back on topic, it seems like quite a few people feel the same way. I think it's a good point that Fallout 3 and Dragon Age branch out much more than ME2 does. I feel like having played the game once, I've done pretty much everything I would want to do, and none of the other options seem that appealing to me. Perhaps an insanity run is a good way to go to try and breathe new life into the game.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By pweidman

I really enjoyed 2 plays, one paragon, and the second renegade.  I recommend a second run just for all the funny shit Shepard says and the reactions he gets as full renegade....also his complexion change makes him look pretty evil/badass,lol. Then there's the other women to woo...... 

And btw, I tried to like Dragon Age on the 360, but after 15 or so hrs. I just dropped it.  Man that game was boring, tedious, and just plain looked bad.  Much better experience on the pc I guess.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Demyx

I've played it twice, and I don't see myself playing it again. But that's probably because my PC has been having problems lately.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By Jedted

Sorry but i have to respectfully disagree with you.  I've played through ME1 many times myself but i never started a new game immediatly after the last playthrough(some times i do it just to see the opening sequence again but that's it).  It's true that some of the shock and awe moments are lost during the 2nd playthrough but i find that if you take a break between playthroughs then you don't burn out of the game so fast. 

IMO, Mass Effect is like a good movie that every now and then you'll get the urge to go back and watch again.  It's a bit less exciting since you know the outcome but the story is so awsome that you enjoy the ride no matter how many times you've seen it. 

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Shasam

Same.

I tried a second ME2 playthrough and didn't get past the opening area. I can't really put my finger on it either. I loved the game (I even had a wierd thing for the planet mining game) and felt like I should be playing it again, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. 

I keep telling myself that it's because I don't want to change anything that happened in my first playthrough. What happened in my first playthrough, as far as I'm concerned, is all that ever can and will happened. The ending of the game came across perfectly and the events that happened, for me, were what would have happened if ME2 was a film.

Anyway...that's my thinking. I don't want what's happened to change at all, 'cos if it did I would go through some horrible period of denial. Also, I have the complete opposite with Dragon Age too. I have about 7 characters (mostly for the achievements, obviously) but each of them have a good chunk of time put in to them and I know that, at some point, I'm going to go through with most of them and try to find as many little differences in the story as I can. Can't put my finger on why that game is different from ME2 though...it really is kinda wierd.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Atlas
    @Shasam:  You bring a couple of really interesting points. First of all, I thought the hatred for planet mining was a little unnecessary after my first playthrough, but on playthrough two I found it completely intolerable. Second, unlike you, I have a couple of really good reasons to play through ME2 again. As I said, I didn't import a character the first time round, so I need to play it again to get a proper canonical Shepard, and also my final mission didn't go completely according to plan. Also, I'm something of an achievement whore, and I'm missing three of the biggest achievements in the game (second playthrough or ME1 import playthrough, insanity run, and perfect final mission). But despite these excellent reasons, I still don't feel the same tug as I do for most other BioWare games. 

@Jedted: Again, good point. I never rewatch movies unless a fairly significant amount of time has passed, but I don't love movies in the same way I love video games. But perhaps it is too soon to play through ME2 again. It's just kinda weird that I can play through Dragon Age three times in three month but can't play through ME2 twice.
    nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By nelander

After the obvious caveat that different people will enjoy games to different degree and have different playstyles. I disagree with the OP, I enjoyed both games and finished both multiple times (DA:O twice and ME2 four, probably finish it a fifth after the new dlc comes out) but from a storyline point of view I didn't feel DA:O branched that much, with the exception of the final choice. In the other hand I felt the Paragon vs Renegade gave me a more consistent alternate universes product of my game choices.

Now, I don't mean DA:O didn't give you choices, every conversation had mulitple responses and every mayor quest had two different outcome, but somehow to me, it didn't feel as I was creating different worlds by making the different choices. I think in part it had to do with the knowledge that my ME2 choices will impact ME3, (even if it is just an email of someone saying: hey remember when in ME2 you could have killed me but instead saved me) . and the party approval system made me game almost every conversation to try to max my minions, I mean party member approval ( I know, I know it was my choice and I could just have stick to a single personality and accepted the consequences). 

Ultimately I feel both games offered multiple playthroughs, if you are the kind of person that enjoys playing the same game multiple times in order to experience different stories. From a gameplay point of view I do agree that DA:O offered more pronounced ability to play the game differently, through ME also did it, just to a lesser extent.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By s7evn

ME1 was the same way for me. I think if you give it some time you'll be able to go back to the game and play through.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By SSully

I havent started ME2 yet but i had that problem for ME1. I beat it once and when i played it again i got bored at the citadel and stopped. I thought that was the games problem for me because i would have to spend over an hour running errands and the citadel and by the time i was done i just didnt want to play anymore

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Atlas
    @Nelander: They are going to make a Dragon Age 2, and I'd bet the laptop I'm writing this on that it'll have a character import feature just like ME has. I disagree about the party approval stuff; it makes the moral choice system feel much less binary than it does in most other games, and unlike ME, you don't always know what the popular answer will be, especially with more introverted characters such as Morrigan and Sten. That said, one thing I hate about Dragon Age is that you could take one look at the achievements list and immediately know who the possible romance characters are, whereas in ME2 it's a bit more of a surprise.
    nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nelander

@Atlas: I don't know why, but after finishing awakening, I am not so sure about the ability to import your character for DA 2, maybe it is they very limited way that the DA:O choices impacted awakening, or maybe it is my completly unfunded feeling that you wont play DA 2 as the same character than origins but rather it will be set a number of years in the future of DA:O, similar to fallout 2 vs fallout 1. 

Paradoxically I feel that the limited choices of ME make them feel more real to me, because there are normally only 2 ways a particular situation can go, it is easier for them to make the world react to it. For example it always felt to me, that by naming your character in ME, the dialog felt more personal and natural than in DA, where they always had to call you warden.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee

I've completed both ME2 and DA tons of times. Though Dragon Age wins over by like...3 playthroughs by now ;P
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vaile
    @Gearhead said:

" I got to around my third playthrough --my insanity run-- and I just couldn't play it anymore. I love that game to death but I don't even think I could even pick up any DLC for it. "

This, only I can actually go back and play an 11th Mass Effect playthrough again.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy

I have 3 playthroughs in it and still think about going back... I like it because you get to see all the different awesome Paragon/Renegade interrupts and you get to do things totally different. How can that not be called replayability?

itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By itsmadness

I haven't played ME2 for a second time yet, but I'm planning too. So I dunno; I played the first game twice, I don't see how I'd be put off playing the sequel twice.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Djeffers03

I rented it so for me it is. I don't really have the desire to replay games very often though, especially not single player-only games.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Brendan

I played through ME2 for a second time, and I cruised through it no problem.  I really, really like Mass Effect though.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By AndrewB

I'd freaking love to finish my second playthrough on insanity, but the time commitment is too great since I can't play that game for short sessions (especially not on insanity, where one particularly hard fight can last hours).

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jayzilla

it is one of those games that even if you only play it once, is totally worth the money because of how quality the game is. I think it has playthrough value because it will be fun to see what happens in ME3 with the choices you make.

kidko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kidko

I put it down for a bit and played Heavy Rain and some GoW 3 and now I'm back into ME2 on my 2nd play through and hooked. I'm doing one mission per night, choosing many dialog options in the opposite way I did the first time and seeing some interesting new moments. A lot of the same ground is tread, but in small bites it's been really satisfying. I still haven't beat DA:O though. That game demands large chunks of time that I don't have to give lately.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By trophyhunter

it's at least a 2 play through game

Avatar image for keystone_yinzer
    Keystone_Yinzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Keystone_Yinzer
    @trophyhunter: I agree. You need to atleast run through once as a renegade if you were a paragon the first time. Renegade Mass effect is just so satisfying.
    thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thejamster

Well I did four mass effect 1 playthoughs, the first three I tried out different choices and increased the difficulty and the fourth I made every decision so that I could import a shepard that I had done everything the way I wanted it.  Mass effect 2 I have finished 2 playthroughs and am on my third on insanity.  I definitely think this game deserves more than one playthrough 

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Capum15

Commenting on the title: No. Not for me, anyway.

I've beaten it twice, played through with a Sentinel before I got bored and switched to Infiltrator, half-way through that I switched over to Adept. Going to finish the Adept run then finish the Infiltrator, then try either Soldier or Engineer.

...if I can pry myself away from other games. MW2, Just Cause 2 and Rome: Total War are the ones I'm currently playing, if I don't go back to ME2 soon then I'll have Red Dead Redemption on my hands...

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Atlas: I think what hooked me into Mass Effect 2 was the combat, and since I get the impression you weren't as impressed by that, that might be part of the reason why you've steered away from playing through it again. There is something uniquely satisfying about rolling through that game on the hardest settings with a Vanguard. Charge, Shotgun, Melee, Charge. It's a simple--and probably repetitive--formula that is consistently and unyieldingly engaging for me. Not quite sure what it is, but I like the idea that I'm a wrecking ball, even against the hardest of enemies.

Now, I can't speak for Dragon Age, but Mass Effect 2's narrative, sort of like the first game, doesn't seem to vary that much across several playthroughs, so you're not exactly missing anything there. There are a few choices near the end that pretty obviously affect the events yet passed, and there's, of course, the whole bit where members of your team can perish in the suicide mission, but aside from the last hour of gameplay or so, I don't see a lot of disparity between differently-angled playthroughs. I'm sure there are a multitude of little things Bioware will carry over into the next game like they did between the original and 2, but as for the core experience, you've safely gleaned the gist of it.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By General_D23

I'm sitting halfway on my fourth playthrough now, waiting for Kasumi. 2nd with Dragon Age.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By demontium
    @Atlas said:
    "  So I started playing Mass Effect 2 the day it was released and finished it a few days later. I found it really engaging, relentlessly entertaining, charming and satisfying. However, I recently played all the way through ME1 in order to import a character into ME2 (couldn't do it the first time because the only character I beat the game with was called Miranda Shepard, and...yeah), and got a few hours into ME2, and just reached a point where I didn't want to play it anymore. Instead, I picked up Dragon Age for a third playthrough, and have been so consumed by the awesomeness of Dragon Age that I haven't picked up ME2 since. And I'm not sure I'll want to pick it back up when I'm done with Dragon Age. And I don't really understand why.   Let's make no mistake about it; Mass Effect 2 is a five star game. It significantly improves some of the biggest flaws with the original game, and since it's BioWare the dialogue and world design is absolutely top notch. But I've found that the more I think about that game and my time spent with it, the more I think that ME2 is really a one playthrough game, which is unusual for a BioWare game, especially since I beat ME1 three times, and as I said, I'm working on my third Dragon Age playthrough. Maybe it's just that the combat is quite clunky and unengaging, or maybe it's because the dialogue and story are much less special the second time around, but I figured that my second playthrough with my imported character would really make that game click with me. My second Dragon Age playthrough was better than my first, and the same goes to Fallout 3. But there is something that is pushing me away from what is ostensibly an excellent game. Could it just be Mass Effect fatigue caused by playing through the original and trying to go straight to the sequel? Could it be that the disappointment I felt with the stripping away of some of the key RPG gameplay aspects has caught up to me? Is it something to do with the buzz that the game caused after people finished it? Has my extreme Dragon Age love affected my perception of ME2? Or is it just that ME2 is an absolutely awesome game...once? "
    Meh, TBH I won't read you post, I am lazy atm. 

But my answer to the topic is No. ME2 is best when played once.
    Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

i'm on my 3rd play

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By MjHealy

I haven't gone back to ME2 yet but I am pretty lazy when it comes to second playthroughs.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Yeah i've also noticed that too, there is alot to do and yes it's probally fatige from scanning in all the planets. Still my first playthough I was a paragon, the other one I wasn't. I made different choices for more variety in gameplay.

J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By J0n3s1

I played Mass Effect 2 trought 3 times.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Garrus

Nah I reckon there's a couple playthrough's worth from the game, though second generally isn't as great.

Not as good as Mass Effect 1 though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I finished ME2 3 times and Dragon Age 4 times. I tried to go back to ME2 for the Firewalker pack but I got bored after 10 minutes. Granted, it is a very shitty DLC pack. Now I'm playing through Awakening for the second time and shooting some fools in BC2 whenever I feel like it. 

I can't see myself playing anymore Mass Effect in 2010.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jmrwacko

I also felt a little weird doing a second playthrough, after how accomplished I felt with my first playthrough. But after a few hours I really got into my new Shepard, and it made the whole second playthrough feel almost as fresh as the first. Now I don't know how I'll go back to my first playthrough, because my mind's really stuck on the second. That's why I'm going to re-do my paragon playthrough on insanity mode before the third game's release.

jb335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jb335
    @Jayzilla said:
    " it is one of those games that even if you only play it once, is totally worth the money because of how quality the game is. I think it has playthrough value because it will be fun to see what happens in ME3 with the choices you make. "
    this. I sometimes feel bad blowing 60 bucks on a game that's single player only, but if the story is epic and I really am invested in the experience, I think it's worth it. ME2 is definitely one of those. I got about half way through a second ME1 play through. Haven't even beat ME2 yet, but I'm thinking I'll probably do a second run through, just not right away.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Heavy Rain is one of the few games I'd consider as a one playthrough game.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#48  Edited By natetodamax

Same here. I played through Mass Effect 1 multiple times but I just can't bring myself to play ME2 twice.

kheldorin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kheldorin

That's weird. The classes in ME1 have the same playstyle so it's kinda repetitive if you play it twice. But in ME2, since the classes play so differently, you need to adjust your tactics and playstyle so the gameplay itself changes even though it's the same scene. If you do want to replay in ME2, do not play new game+. It is not worth it at all. Also, in ME1 a higher difficulty only resulted in higher hp enemies. The tactics are really the same except you take a longer time to kill your enemies. A higher difficulty in ME2 would challenge you tactically and force you to know the battle inside out.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cap123

only played ME1 once. instantly started up a second playthrough after finishing my first on ME2. There's a whole different game to be played, i changed sex, morality and play style. If any game is a more-than-one-playthrough game it's this, i feel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.