Mass Effect 2 Arrival Plot (SPOILERS AHEAD)

#1 Edited by Zabant (1268 posts) -

Bioware sure love their Ass Angles.
AHHH YES, "Reapers"

Who else thought that we would get an option to save the batarians? there weren't really any choices in the whole mission. Still fun though, Hackett is also Admiral Bro.  One thing that bugs me;  I wonder if you just stayed next to the clock counting down would the reapers actually arrive?
And if they were only 2 hours away from reaching the gate surely that BIG ASS supernova must of killed some of them.
#2 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

Man, eff batarians. I loved murder-death-killin' 'em dead.

Loved it
#3 Posted by rosebud04 (360 posts) -

there was one renegade choice, but i did not do it. anyone know what happens if you choose the renegade option?

#4 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -
@rosebud04: no clue, went paragon. However her going all suicide bomber on us didn't really do anything. I'm guessing renegade shep would probably have just put one in her head and carried on.
#5 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
"    Man, eff batarians. I loved murder-death-killin' 'em dead. "
You wont be saying that when, to get 100% in ME3 you need to recruit their military powers to help stop the reapers. 

And i'm betting you visit their home planet to convince their government. As you pass all the civilians living there You hear cries of  "Did you hear earth is under attack? HAHA BRILLIANT! STUPID HUUUMANS"
#6 Posted by Ktargo (100 posts) -
@rosebud04:  @Zabant: If you're talking about when she's holding the detonation button thing, all that happens is you shoot her, she dies but managed to hit the button before she went down (or as she falls over, the camera just zooms on her hand unfolding after she hits the ground).    
#7 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -
@rosebud04 said:
" there was one renegade choice, but i did not do it. anyone know what happens if you choose the renegade option? "
You just shoot her and she'll slump down and ease her finger off the trigger, then boom. An explosion large enough to push me against some wall knocking me out for like an hour or something.

@Zabant said:
" @rjayb89 said:
"    Man, eff batarians. I loved murder-death-killin' 'em dead. "
You wont be saying that when, to get 100% in ME3 you need to recruit their military powers to help stop the reapers.  And i'm betting you visit their home planet to convince their government. As you pass all the civilians living there You hear cries of  "Did you hear earth is under attack? HAHA BRILLIANT! STUPID HUUUMANS" "
Eh. They never did anything cool for me. I gots humans, a Broker, clan Urdnot, this pet varren, these geth dudes, and some rachni backing me up. I shouldn't have to worry.
#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

The DLC was disappointing. Not much happened at all and, even though I understand that those who won't play The Arrival before ME3 will need to have proper context like the rest of us, I would have appreciated it if there could have been more that happened. The Harbinger's appearance was meaningless and we weren't given any slightly significant choices to act upon.

#9 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3124 posts) -
@rjayb89:
The picture is what really sells your anti-Batarian policy.
#10 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -

The people in charge of the whole operation were obviously going to be indoctrinated, if their feeble minds could only come up with "The Project" as a name for their little plan no wonder they all ended up brainwashed reaper slaves, i bet their minds were like an open door.

#11 Edited by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

I don't know what to think of this DLC. On one hand, the asteroid scenery was pretty badass, on the other we had extremely linear mission design where all you had to do is shoot dudes (or hide frome dudes) instead of any exploring, and the amount of dialogue was miniscule. The conversation with Harbinger had some potential, after all I loved the conversation with Sovereign, but it was cut short and kind meaningless. I enjoyed the conversation with Admiral Hackett, me and him go way back after all, but the way he seemed to put things is that I won't be getting any direct Alliance support in the next game, which makes me sad. In sum, this DLC seemed pretty close to perfection but in the end kinda falls short, which also describes the DLC's length. 

I think this DLC could also have benefited from an actual sense of urgency, even though I usually hate time limits, occasionally they do improve the experience if they make sense contextually.

This DLC, and the previous ones, makes me wonder if BioWare may be thinking about abandoning some of their old design tenants for Mass Effect 3, I mean they seem to be leaning to linear missions with little exploration sprinkled with a moral choice here or there. 

Also, 

#12 Posted by Yummylee (22577 posts) -
@Death_Unicorn:  
You aren't able to effect any of the outcomes.  

#13 Posted by Juvarial (305 posts) -

This was terrabad in every way.  
It completely screws you over from the start of ME3. 
No choice. 
Its not as if this is going to go away either. Its cannon. 
I wish it would just go away : /

#14 Edited by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -
@Abyssfull: Well, that's dissapointing...
#15 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -
@Death_Unicorn: I Disagree, escaping from the cell and then taking over the mechs was pretty cool and not seen anywhere else in the entire game. Project overlord was the worst IMO, nothing but recycled hammerhead missions from that free dlc and corridor shooting.
#16 Posted by Yummylee (22577 posts) -
@Zabant said:
" @Death_Unicorn: I Disagree, escaping from the cell and then taking over the mechs was pretty cool and not seen anywhere else in the entire game. Project overlord was the worst IMO, nothing but recycled hammerhead missions from that free dlc and corridor shooting. "
The MECH part sounded cool as a concept, but how it actually played out was pretty lame. All you could do was shoot, not even having access to that close range electric blast they made a habit of using in close quarters. I agree, it's unique to Arrival, but that doesn't mean it was any fun.
#17 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -
@Zabant: I'm not saying its the worst piece of DLC, just nothing special. I was hoping they would bridge into Mass effect 3 with a bang; they didn't. 

Also, not being able to use your squad mates was annoying...
#18 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -
@Juvarial: I think it's great, for once there isn't a paragon option. This DLC shows sometimes the only option is the leser of two evils.
#19 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -
@Death_Unicorn: Yeah, im guessing they had none of the voice actors on hand to do dialogue for it. I'm pretty sure jokers few lines were taken from the main game.
#20 Posted by Juvarial (305 posts) -
@Jonny7892 said:
" @Juvarial: I think it's great, for once there isn't a paragon option. This DLC shows sometimes the only option is the leser of two evils. "
Yes but regardless of the actions you make the ending is the same.
You should have the option of saying "Fuck it-Let them come" 
As far as ME3 is concerned I think that uniting the racist galaxy will be hard enough-Let alone with this now occurring.  
A possible war with the batarians is the last thing needed and there is the possibility of Shepard's actions being hindered in politics. Hell even jailed and made to be a mad man. 
Personally I just don't like the directions that it goes since if you want a non "Humanity fuck yeah!" Shepard then you might as well just redo the choice in ME2 at the collector base as far as this is concerned since it isolates humanity once again.
In the end I just do not like the situation it puts MY story in. It feels almost lazy.
It just does not seem to fit.
#21 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -
@Juvarial: DAMN ALIEN SYMPATHISER! IF IT WAS UP TO YOU WE WOULD ALL BE SPEAKING TURIAN!
#22 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

It sounds they are pigeonholing players into a specific action in Mass Effect 3 that they wouldn't have been able to do without having this awful event take place before hand.

#23 Posted by Yummylee (22577 posts) -
@Jonny7892 said:
" @Juvarial: I think it's great, for once there isn't a paragon option. This DLC shows sometimes the only option is the leser of two evils. "
But there is a paragon option: don't shoot her. 
#24 Posted by Juvarial (305 posts) -
@Zabant said:
" @Juvarial: DAMN ALIEN SYMPATHISER! IF IT WAS UP TO YOU WE WOULD ALL BE SPEAKING TURIAN! "
Well one of the ways you can play your Shepard is to try to unite the races. Turians are also pretty bad ass if you ask me : P 
@Napalm said:
" It sounds they are pigeonholing players into a specific action in Mass Effect 3 that they wouldn't have been able to do without having this awful event take place before hand. "
Thats pretty much my issue with it.  
You loose your option of choice.  
Which is that not what this entire game and lead up has been about? 
@Abyssfull said:
" @Jonny7892 said:
But there is a paragon option: don't shoot her.  "
Well you shoot her and she falls and blows up. 
You do not shoot her and she blows up and falls.  
Not much of a real choice TBH. 
#25 Posted by Yummylee (22577 posts) -
@Juvarial said:
" @Zabant said:
" @Juvarial: DAMN ALIEN SYMPATHISER! IF IT WAS UP TO YOU WE WOULD ALL BE SPEAKING TURIAN! "
Well one of the ways you can play your Shepard is to try to unite the races. Turians are also pretty bad ass if you ask me : P 
@Napalm said:
" It sounds they are pigeonholing players into a specific action in Mass Effect 3 that they wouldn't have been able to do without having this awful event take place before hand. "
@Abyssfull said:
" @Jonny7892 said:
Well you shoot her and she falls and blows up. You do not shoot her and she blows up and falls.  Not much of a real choice TBH.  "
Yeah I know. Just shutting down that ''lesser of two evils'' thing.
#26 Posted by Juvarial (305 posts) -
@Abyssfull:  
Sorry for the misinterpretation. Some people have not seen how both plays out and therefor think there is a hidden option. I played through it 3 times to see if I could get ANY change.  
There was none.  
I don't dislike the DLC. 
Just the situation it places ME3 in.  
It also makes this DLC kinda important for people who wish to play ME3 to play before hand supposedly. This just feels wrong in a way considering that depending on personal preference peoples money would be better spent on some of the other DLCs for this amazing game IMO.
#27 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @Juvarial said:
" @Zabant said:
@Napalm said:
@Abyssfull said:
" @Jonny7892 said:
Well you shoot her and she falls and blows up. You do not shoot her and she blows up and falls.  Not much of a real choice TBH.  "
Yeah I know. Just shutting down that ''lesser of two evils'' thing. "

I meant in the whole blowing up the mass relay thing. Although the player doesn't have a choice Shepard must choose between 300000 Batarians or the whole galaxy and I thought it was well done, no longer do you have the you easy way out by picking paragon.
#28 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -

Remember folks this isnt made by the dudes actually making ME3, its done by their B-Team. Just because this DLC is linear don't think that's the new direction bioware is going.

#29 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -

I honestly considered leaving my character in front of the timer for 2 days to see what happened. 

I was also upset by the lack of choices, but I can live with it.

#30 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@Zabant said:
" Remember folks this isnt made by the dudes actually making ME3, its done by their B-Team. Just because this DLC is linear don't think that's the new direction bioware is going. "
Still... Surprised there wasn't more choice and so on, even if arbitrary. I mean this DLC lines up for a really tense conflict with the batarians. Then again so did Bring down the Sky...
#31 Posted by Megasoum (362 posts) -

Also, 

#32 Posted by NinjaHunter (973 posts) -

The best part of the dlc is the prompt they give you over the mech control station. "Assume Control" The rest of the dlc was meh.

#33 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @Death_Unicorn:  
You aren't able to effect any of the outcomes.  

"
Seriously. Looking back on that now, what a let down, the fact that we can't do anything.  Those were the most terrible illusions of choice BioWare has ever put into one of their games. It's a total setup for ME3, same as Liara becoming the new shadow broker.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.