Mass Effect 2 Arrival: The Countdown

Posted by dark_being (20 posts) -

Those of you who played Mass Effect 2's latest DLC "Arrival" possibly noticed the huge countdown clock welcoming you to the research station-thing right as Sheperd exits the shuttle.
The countdown begins at around 2 days+ and is counting down in real time towards something (not going to spoils towards what).

So if you're like me, your curious to see what the hell happens once the countdown winds down (looking it up on the Internet is for little girls!), and if you are REALLY like me you left the game on for 2 day straight... In about 20 hours I'll witness first hand what the hell happens when it reaches zero, and I'm going to post the result here on my profile (assuming something actually happens).

So, hmm... Stay tuned? 

#1 Posted by dark_being (20 posts) -

Those of you who played Mass Effect 2's latest DLC "Arrival" possibly noticed the huge countdown clock welcoming you to the research station-thing right as Sheperd exits the shuttle.
The countdown begins at around 2 days+ and is counting down in real time towards something (not going to spoils towards what).

So if you're like me, your curious to see what the hell happens once the countdown winds down (looking it up on the Internet is for little girls!), and if you are REALLY like me you left the game on for 2 day straight... In about 20 hours I'll witness first hand what the hell happens when it reaches zero, and I'm going to post the result here on my profile (assuming something actually happens).

So, hmm... Stay tuned? 

#2 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

It counts down in real-time if you stay at the beginning? If you keep playing then you fast forward in time a little until you have about an hour and a half left on the clock left, and if you don't finish the mission in time:

That's about it.
#3 Edited by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

I can't remember exactly, but doesn't the timer jump forward a lot at one part during the DLC?

EDIT: Plus I've seen what happens, I liked it.

#4 Posted by Welding (145 posts) -

Supercurious about this.
Let us know!

#5 Posted by DapperMan (102 posts) -

I commend your commitment at keeping it on for that long, your tenacity would make Shepard proud

#6 Posted by DeeGee (2125 posts) -

But we already know what happens when it counts down, that video clip was posted everywhere when the DLC came out.

#7 Posted by Yummylee (21643 posts) -

Old news, guy - sorry.

#8 Posted by dark_being (20 posts) -
@Abyssfull @  benjaebe
Old news if you played the game... The minute I saw the countdown I saved the game and just stopped playing and left it on to see what happens. I never check the internet for spoilers on what lies ahead, so if the clock jumps forward at some point, then I guess I could have been playing the game instead of Crysis 2, but no matter. I still want to see it first hand.

DeeGee
I don't check the internet for spoilers to a game I've yet to play...
#9 Posted by Yummylee (21643 posts) -
@dark_being: 
No, old news because the video has been posted everywere. There's nothing wrong for attaining the cutscene yourself, but you made it sound as if you were the first to do so. If people haven't already played Arrival they wouldn't want to know for spoilers sake like you posted, and if they had already but don't know what happens after the countdown then they just check it up on youtube here.
#10 Posted by FTomato (234 posts) -

Yeah, when I saw the countdown I saved the game and figured I'd come back to it later. It jumps a LOT later, so I let it run out after the time skip after finishing the DLC.

It was kind of disappointing after waiting that long :(

#11 Posted by dark_being (20 posts) -

@Abyssfull

Again, looking it up on the Internet is for little girls... I realize I'm not the first one to do so, since the game was out of quite some time now, but whatever... I post every ending of every game I finish (over 400 now), and that's one of them...
#12 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5260 posts) -

You say looking it up is for girls.  I say looking it up is for people that don't want to waste power and time waiting for 2 days straight because they feel emasculated.  And they are using the most efficient and satisfying way to find something out.  So they just seem smart.

#13 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

Let us know if you red ring also.

Edit: Guess it's been done. Oh well.
#14 Posted by chilibean_3 (1642 posts) -

That was my first thought also.  I was thinking about letting it count down to see if anything happens but then decided to just wait until a YouTube video of it was posted or something.  According to a few super helpful folks here, it's been done and I'll now go look for it. 

#15 Posted by DeeGee (2125 posts) -

Another fun fact is that if you just played the DLC, it will naturally jump ahead to 90 minutes left, and you can just pause it there if you really wanted to see the scene.

#16 Posted by dark_being (20 posts) -

NegativeCero

On the PC my friend :), so I'm basically going on with my everyday routine, with it running in the background. I only shut it off the play Crysis 2, since I don't want to strain my CPU too much...

DeeGee
Yeah, I got that. If I'd known it at the time I'd probably go on playing the game (which sucked until that point), but no matter. No real lose...

I say I want to experience it first hand, on my PC while I play (and so I can record it and post it as a Game Ending video).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.