Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2, disappointed

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By TheHBK

OK, so during the Giant Bomb game of the year discussions, the guys went into detail about why Mass Effect 2 was the game of the year.  It sounded amazing.  Now, I was a fan of the first game, but skipped the second because I knew that EA would drop the price on it to ridiculous lows, and I was right, I was able to get the PC version at Best Buy for 10 bucks.  Now I knew that price was no indicator of quality.  I knew the game had been streamlined and what I was looking forward to was the better shooting.  So while the first game had problems, elevators, loading times, graphics pop in, it was a great game.  I played through it 5 times. 
    But that stuff was on the 360.  I got the PC version of Mass Effect 2, and was a little disappointed that I could not import my character.  Yes I blew Wrex away each time I could.  I could not get past that he pulled a gun on me.  Though disappointed because I let Kaidan die each time.  I am space racist and Ashley was my lover.  But whatever, as long as I could have my lady shepard and be renegade, it would all be cool. 
    Yes, the fiction is awesome and the dialog options are still as good as ever.  But this game is so action oriented and it just feels like, go to this planet, blast these guys until you get to the person you are looking for.  I like the added hacking mini games.  Think the reloading is a pretty good idea.  But... wow, they took out so much from the first game. 
    I can't get new armor?  Where the hell are the new weapons?  The weapons upgrades?  The skills upgrades?  As soon as I saw, mission accomplished, I was like, awww crap.  This is not an RPG as much as it is a action game with speech and RPG elements similar to GTA.  I am super disappointed.  I was hoping for a cleaner and smoother ME1, not this stripped down stuff.  Yes I can see that this game is good, it just not what I wanted.  And it is the reason I have told my brother to steer away from Dragon Age 2, and am wary of ME3.  I am not saying it is a bad game, it is just not what it should have been.  Mass Effect 1, but less jank.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By sarge1445

Well skill upgrades are there just not as many. As for weapon upgrades they are also there. As for new armor you must of been the only person who enjoyed the mess of an inventory system that was mass effect 1

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

Oh you kidder.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I disagree. I think that most of the streamlining (not stripping down) is for the best, and that the game is pretty awesome overall.  

And the combat's fun. I didn't mind there being a ton of it because aside from a few spots, I was having fun.  

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " I disagree. I think that most of the streamlining (not stripping down) is for the best, and that the game is pretty awesome overall.   And the combat's fun. I didn't mind there being a ton of it because aside from a few spots, I was having fun.   "
    Who did not love popping adrenalin and filling a guy with fire bullets? 
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By TheHBK
    @sarge1445: Well, yeah to be honest I did.  I mean, going around, finding ammo upgrades.  Or suit upgrades.  Or new suits.  And since I only used humans, i would be like, oh Krogan armor?  Omni gel baby.  Shield Modulator?  Awesome, there, now I have 5 shield bars.  Oh sweet, cryo rounds.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

You can love it,you can hate it, the cold hard truth of the matter is that Mass Effect is more action than it is RPG,much more action.
    It has great cinematics and cutscenes, the combat is better and there are some interesting characters but thats about it.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jasta

You do get new weapons, you can upgrade them and your skills. Would it really have made that much a difference if there was just a little pop up saying "Objective Complete" instead of the full screen? Really? As for not being able to import your save, that's really just your own fault for buying the game for a different platform. Mass Effect 2 is dirt cheap on any platform these days.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    " I disagree. I think that most of the streamlining (not stripping down) is for the best, and that the game is pretty awesome overall.   And the combat's fun. I didn't mind there being a ton of it because aside from a few spots, I was having fun.   "
    Who did not love popping adrenalin and filling a guy with fire bullets?  "
    This.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    Who did not love popping adrenalin and filling a guy with fire bullets?  "
    This. "
    ITS DA MATRIX BUT DA BULLETS ARE ON FIREYA
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ventilaator

Agreed. 

Mass Effect 1 was an RPG, Mass Effect 2 is a talky shooter

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By animateria

Same thoughts exactly. 

ME2 ran better, looked prettier... But they just took out everything that needed tweaking and called it streamlining.  

I think they did the same thing with DA2... Taking out stuff instead of improving them. 

Kinda lazy of them.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I was more dissapointed by the annoying characters and terrible dialogue.

Mass Effect 1 may have been more of an RPG, but it wasn't necessarily a good one.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By buft

well thats fair enough, i loved the first one but felt the powers where less than perfect and i was happy they rectified my issue with ME1  but i was less than happy about the inventory stuff. i still prefer 2 over 1 though.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nail1080
    @TheHBK: you've come to the party pretty late but yeah you're basically saying what anyone with a brain has been saying for the past year. 

Instead of expanding on Mass Effect 1 and adding more options, they completely closed-off everything with much less detail in terms of armor, weapons, and storyline (the game is basically a bunch of side quest when I was hoping it would be more about the mother fucking reapers who are about to destroy the universe). 
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16  Edited By natetodamax

Bioware's idea of fixing the jank in the first game for the second was straight up making the second game into a third person shooter. So yeah, I was a bit disappointed as well.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#17  Edited By BeachThunder

Indubitably. Mass Effect 2 was a good game, but it wasn't exactly better than the first. It replaced the issues of the original with even more issues.

mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mr_faraday

Yep overall ME2 is really bad compared to the first one. Its really disappointing and makes me worried for ME3.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam

I kind of agree.

Without it's great characters and stories, ME2 is nothing but a mediocre shooter with boring level design (I mean schematically ... it's always a linear path with the occasial room on the side and when you see cover, enemies will spawn).

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sarge1445
    @TheHBK:  Yea I rolled with Wrex and Ashley and they had upgrades i just picked up killing stuff and  that was more then enough that entire end level was me killing everything with a shotgun with ease and laughing. Upgrades have no point when a game is that easy
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vaile

I thought the same thing when I first played. "Wait, where's my armor? Where are all my weapons? Where's my old crew?" I was pretty disappointed.

Now it's my favorite game. Ever. And I really, really mean that.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kyrieee

I don't think it has more combat than the first game. ME1 had _a lot_ of combat.  
    I recommend playing one of the more advanced classes, like adept, on a high difficulty. That makes the combat very rewarding.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By DJJoeJoe

In mass effect 1 I would just end up with an inventory loaded up with shit I had to gel, and it made me spend too much time (hours) sitting around gelling things or going through EVERY single item to compare and contrast stats and vanity to find the 'perfect' stuff I wanted. None of that stuff matters, give me a great looking suit and cool weapons and stop giving me that crap stuff that looks the same but is 1 point higher in whatever, that's what Mass effect 2 allowed. You get into the story faster, easier and harder and that's what we are all here for, unless you have some weird need to compare tooltips for hours to get your jollies off. In that case there are a lot of games out there for you, but unless your a robot you should still be able to really enjoy the ride that ME2 and DA2 both provide while missing your item collecting/comparing obsession.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss

I can feel what yer saying but I thought inventory and itemization was so poorly done in the first that it was hard to miss it being gone in the second.

(...this better not be bumping some ol' April Fool's shit either)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Animasta
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " I can feel what yer saying but I thought inventory and itemization was so poorly done in the first that it was hard to miss it being gone in the second.  (...this better not be bumping some ol' April Fool's shit either) "
    they could have fixed it without taking it out completely. DA had a completely fine inventory system you know
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Daveyo520

Why would you possibly think you could import your save from the 360 to your PC?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By KaosAngel

You can get new armor from the shops, I played the game twice and only found out the third time in.  Aside from that, ME2 is a really stripped down RPG that's more dialogue and shooting.  People really liked it though.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwilitEnd656

Well, the RPG is there in the form of... You know, role playing, but yeah, the traditional RPG elements are pretty thin.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ThePickle

Everything about the gameplay in ME1 is trash. If a "true" RPG means crappy shooting, clunky inventory, awful menus, shit vehicles, repetitive environments, and shoddy technical performance, then I do not want to play a "true" RPG. I have serious trouble understanding why anyone could prefer ME1 to ME2. 

jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jaymorgoth

While I wouldn't want every RPG or even Bioware to do it, I felt the changes really streamlined what they were going for in Mass Effect.  Cutting off a lot of the fat really presented with with what was basically an interactive action movie and I could focus on the parts the Bioware does well.  I wasn't slogging through page after page of useless inventory, fighting with the combat system, having to really pick and choose what I upgraded on each character etc. I was rolling through firefights, blasting away fools and giving out squad commands on the fly, and focusing on the story and making my mark in it.  I personally enjoyed them making a shooter with RPG mechanics, they needed to focus on one or the other and i think with this particular franchise they made the right choice. Of course this is only my opinion but I will say after playing through one again coming back to two was such a relief. Everything just felt effortless in a way i could appreciate and i got to the real meat and potatoes of the game, namely the epic space odyssey unfurling before me and learning all about the people who inhabit it. Honestly I could play games in that universe forever...we need more sci-fi! Mass Effect 2 is definitely one of my personal favorite games of all time and i am happy with the way it came out.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By xyzygy

Yeah. I really missed the RPG-ness of the first game in ME2. While it was a good shooter and the characters were well done, I wasn't looking for a character driven shooter. I was looking for an RPG with a truly awesome story, like the first one. Plus, I love loot and the complaints about the inventory system in the first game kind of eludes me. I played through the game probably 4 or 5 times and really it never bothered me. I liked always getting new and better armor, weapons and ammo for my guys. I think I'm at the point where I know that Mass Effect 1 will remain my favorite game ever, unless something truly spectacular comes along. I don't have high hopes for ME3, although I will still buy it and play it. I just want closure I guess.

Bioware is streamlining their games and I think that ME1 will be their last great game, to me. I liked Origins enough but I found the combat terribly boring and the setting and story were so uninspired.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@CptBedlam said:
    " I kind of agree.  Without it's great characters and stories, ME2 is nothing but a mediocre shooter with boring level design (I mean schematically ... it's always a linear path with the occasial room on the side and when you see cover, enemies will spawn). "
    Taking the writing and the characters out of a discussion of a BioWare game is kind of like ignoring the shooting and setpieces in a discussion about Call of Duty.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By McGhee

Upgrading armor pieces while being to change the color scheme was far more fun than finding tons of random, usually useless, ugly armor like in ME1.  
    Dealing with lots of clutter and menu bullshit does not equal "intelligent gameplay" or "complexity". The changes made in ME2 were the right ones.

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DrHawking
    @HandsomeDevil said:
    " Everything about the gameplay in ME1 is trash. If a "true" RPG means crappy shooting, clunky inventory, awful menus, shit vehicles, repetitive environments, and shoddy technical performance, then I do not want to play a "true" RPG. I have serious trouble understanding why anyone could prefer ME1 to ME2.  "
    Pretty much this. I loved everything about Mass Effect 1 except for when you actually had to play it.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By big_jon

It was a good game, maybe not as good as all that hype but good none the less.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By foggel

I don't understand how you could expect to be able to import your character cross platform. Is anything similar possible in any other games?

Anyway this game is my all time favorite. Loved every aspect of it.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By foggel
    @big_jon said:
    " It was a good game, maybe not as good as all that hype but good none the less. "
    Thing is that it exceeded the hype. Everyone was blown away by it.

Well, most people atleast.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By big_jon
    @foggel said:
    " @big_jon said:
    " It was a good game, maybe not as good as all that hype but good none the less. "
    Thing is that it exceeded the hype. Everyone was blown away by it.  Well, most people atleast. "
    I was speaking of the post release hype.

It was on my top ten games of the year list but it was not #1.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By haggis
    @DrHawking said:
    " @HandsomeDevil said:
    " Everything about the gameplay in ME1 is trash. If a "true" RPG means crappy shooting, clunky inventory, awful menus, shit vehicles, repetitive environments, and shoddy technical performance, then I do not want to play a "true" RPG. I have serious trouble understanding why anyone could prefer ME1 to ME2.  "
    Pretty much this. I loved everything about Mass Effect 1 except for when you actually had to play it. "
    Well, I'd take issue with "shoddy performance" (I never had any issues with ME1 on that score, but experiences are different), but ... yeah. There was a lot to love about ME1, but much of it was marred by sup-bar shooting, an inventory system with endless lists of items that varied hardly at all, and a vehicle system that really did not work. ME2 managed to get rid of all that and made the combat fun. I can't hardly stand to fire up ME1. ME2 is a huge step forward. I'd have appreciated *some* inventory and a bit more gun customization, but I didn't really miss any of that while playing ME2.

Most other RPGs have the same problems: pointless inventory that winds up being boring busywork, lousy combat. Just look at Dragon Age on the 360. It has both these problems. DA2 doesn't completely escape the inventory problem, but people still complained about the streamlining. Sorry, guys, it's not complexity they're getting rid of, but dead-weight remnants left over from a a few decades of RPG design that absolutely must go if the genre is going to grow.

ME2 wasn't perfect by any means, but it was leaps and bounds beyond ME1.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By Atlas

While I was playing it Mass Effect 2 seemed like one of the best games ever. The more I've thought about it in the wake of beating it, and the more I try to play through the game a second time, the worse I feel about it. They completely killed the replayability compared to ME1. Sure, the characters were likeable, the writing was sharp and the setting was interesting, but the combat was just too bland, the level design was too rigid and predictable, and the final boss was too...stupid.

Bottom line, I love RPGs. My two favourite games of all-tme are Oblivion and Dragon Age: Origins. RPGs are my thing. So when they took a game I loved (ME1) and stripped away the RPG mechanics, it hit a sour spot with me. There are tons of generic third person shooters, and not enough quality RPGs. ME2 might have been the best third person shooter I've ever played, but it just wasn't enough of an RPG. The RPG aspects of ME1 weren't perfect, but they were there.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Oh this is one of those April Fool's joke right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.