Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 disc swap explained in detail (two swaps)

• 61 results
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Geno said:
    " I'm getting the PC version suckas.  "
    Good for you.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#52  Edited By MildMolasses
    @dynamix91 said:
    "@MattyFTM said:
    "I still can't comprehend how massive this game must be to warrant two disks. It's understandable on 360, since all content has to be streamed off the disk, so it can only be compressed a certain amount without leading to insane load times. But it's also on two disks on PC. On PC they can compress it all they like, because it's all installed (and therefore decompressed) prior to playing. It's insane that it's on two disks on PC. Insane. Perhaps it's just a marketing thing, so that people on PC don't feel like they're getting less content, even though they'd have the same content, just on one disk. But if it actually needs to be on two disks, it's crazy. "
    The installed size is 11.4 GB, compared to 15.1 GB for Dragon Age which was 1 disc. It's my understanding there is several gigs of alternate language audio on the discs that doesn't get installed but aside from that I think it's safe to say they could've easily fit the PC version on 1 disc. "

I think audio is definittely the reason. In DA:O, there is a silent protagonist (aside from the small amounf of command responses that occur during exploration or battle). In ME, Shepard is fully voiced, and all dialogue has to be recorded as both a male and a female.
    dynamix91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By dynamix91
    @MildMolasses said:
    "@dynamix91 said:
    "@MattyFTM said:
    "I still can't comprehend how massive this game must be to warrant two disks. It's understandable on 360, since all content has to be streamed off the disk, so it can only be compressed a certain amount without leading to insane load times. But it's also on two disks on PC. On PC they can compress it all they like, because it's all installed (and therefore decompressed) prior to playing. It's insane that it's on two disks on PC. Insane. Perhaps it's just a marketing thing, so that people on PC don't feel like they're getting less content, even though they'd have the same content, just on one disk. But if it actually needs to be on two disks, it's crazy. "
    The installed size is 11.4 GB, compared to 15.1 GB for Dragon Age which was 1 disc. It's my understanding there is several gigs of alternate language audio on the discs that doesn't get installed but aside from that I think it's safe to say they could've easily fit the PC version on 1 disc. "
    I think audio is definittely the reason. In DA:O, there is a silent protagonist (aside from the small amounf of command responses that occur during exploration or battle). In ME, Shepard is fully voiced, and all dialogue has to be recorded as both a male and a female. "

Yeah but that's part of the installed size, there is no disc swapping during gameplay on the PC and nothing is streamed from the disc. The only thing that doesn't get installed is alternate languages. ME2 is a smaller game than Dragon Age which fit onto 1 disc, there was a 2nd disc with Dragon Age PC for alternate languages as well but if you just want English you never have to touch it - wheras you have to swap discs during installation of ME2. 

For those asking why disc swapping on 360 is a big deal, well obviously it's not if it doesn't bug you. People point it out because there's another console out there that will never have to disc swap. As games increase in size and complexity Bluray becomes even more of an advantage for PS3. Id's Tech 5 engine is going to be a big test, it sounds like it's going to be a choice between lots of disc-swapping or a significant graphical downgrade on the 360 - wheras on PS3 they can just jam the Bluray full of the highest-res textures they've got.
    Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Nemesis

I have to say, this is pretty stupid. They could have just put the first 2 parts of the game on one disk, and put the last third of the game on the last disk.

And like many of you have said, why wasn't their a Forza 3 like feature to install the second disk?

Oh, and for those who say it isn't a big deal, how about having to go to your TV every time you need to switch your channel? Or every time you need to increase the volume? Why don't you do that instead of using a remote?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Dany
    @Nemesis: I don't know about you but I don't switch discs every 30 seconds or even every 10 minutes.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By natetodamax

Man, that's just lame.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By Rowr

Ok, i can deal with getting up for more than 20 fucking seconds. I mean its very very marginally not ideal, but i think i can see past it for a game thats reportedly incredible.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Why not just put the beginning and middle on disc 1 and end on disc 2.... fucking makes no sense to but the end back on Disc 1, makes none what so ever....

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By immike

Disc swapping doesn't bother me at all, never has. I actually like having multiple disks cause it makes me feel like I have so much game to experience.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By mordukai
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " Why not just put the beginning and middle on disc 1 and end on disc 2.... fucking makes no sense to but the end back on Disc 1, makes none what so ever.... "
    Why not just let the players install the whole damn game and be done with it. ohh well. Maybe Bioware will patch it up but I doubt it. 
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Mordukai said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " Why not just put the beginning and middle on disc 1 and end on disc 2.... fucking makes no sense to but the end back on Disc 1, makes none what so ever.... "
    Why not just let the players install the whole damn game and be done with it. ohh well. Maybe Bioware will patch it up but I doubt it.  "
    I'ma install it anyways (I do it with any game I'm going to be playing alot, saves the disk) but they should if you have it installed, cause If it ask me to swap and i have it installed, im not going to like it >_<

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.