Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 DLC on PC Question

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just finished the first Mass Effect for the first time and am looking forward to playing 2. I played 1 on PC and am kind of confused about the DLC situation on the PC. Does it really matter if I buy the game from Steam or Origin? It seems all of the DLC is bought from Bioware's website using some fake money that is the equivalent of Microsoft points. Is that correct?

_k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By _k1_

@e30bmw said:

Does it really matter if I buy the game from Steam or Origin? It seems all of the DLC is bought from Bioware's website using some fake money that is the equivalent of Microsoft points. Is that correct?

You can redeem your Steam key on Origin if you want, so no, it doesn't matter. And yes, they want you to buy the DLC with Bioware points. If you use the Steam version, you'll download an .exe which will add the DLC. If you use Origin, it's integrated into the client, but they still make you pay in Bioware points for some reason.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RonGalaxy

Yes, the dlc situation is super dumb on pc. I think it's like that on steam and origin, so just go with the service you use the most. Also, 3 is only on origin, but migrating the save from 1 and 2 from steam to 3 on origin is really easy.

Also, there's pc dlc for mass effect 1 as well. I had to chat with an EA representative to get mine though.

Also x2, for future reference, each dlc is given its own install .exe (yes, you have to manually download and install each one through an exe). So I would recommend putting the exe files in a folder and keeping them on your computer instead of redownloading them. This might just be for steam though. Not sure how it works on origin.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By e30bmw

Well that's a bummer because I've heard some good stuff about some of the DLC for that. Also does anyone know what the difference between the deluxe and regular version are, other than 10 bucks? There's some dumb shit like concept are and soundtracks, but as far as I can tell there isn't really any content for the game?

Might just go with Origin if it's slightly easier to integrate the DLC.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@e30bmw said:

Well that's a bummer because I've heard some good stuff about some of the DLC for that. Also does anyone know what the difference between the deluxe and regular version are, other than 10 bucks? There's some dumb shit like concept are and soundtracks, but as far as I can tell there isn't really any content for the game?

Digital Deluxe Edition

• Collector Armor and Assault Rifle - Two bonus in-game items: advanced regeneration armor and a powerful enemy-shredding assault rifle.

• Incisor Rifle - Bonus in-game weapon. Firing three shots with each pull of the trigger, the Incisor Rifle is designed to decimate shields.

• Original Soundtrack - The Mass Effect 2 original soundtrack features 12 pieces spanning the entire Mass Effect 2 experience.

• Digital Art Book* - The art book contains 48 pages of stunning full color artwork including captions from the Mass Effect 2 team.

• Digital Mass Effect Redemption #1 comic* - Redemption follows Liara T’Soni’s dangerous mission to find Commander Shepard.

• Documentary Video* - Featuring behind-the-scenes and making-of videos, the Mass Effect 2 documentary takes a look at how the game was made.

I would wait for a sale before buying ME2. Sales for it are frequent and it usually goes to 5 bucks.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw said:

Digital Deluxe Edition

• Collector Armor and Assault Rifle - Two bonus in-game items: advanced regeneration armor and a powerful enemy-shredding assault rifle.

• Incisor Rifle - Bonus in-game weapon. Firing three shots with each pull of the trigger, the Incisor Rifle is designed to decimate shields.

• Original Soundtrack - The Mass Effect 2 original soundtrack features 12 pieces spanning the entire Mass Effect 2 experience.

• Digital Art Book* - The art book contains 48 pages of stunning full color artwork including captions from the Mass Effect 2 team.

• Digital Mass Effect Redemption #1 comic* - Redemption follows Liara T’Soni’s dangerous mission to find Commander Shepard.

• Documentary Video* - Featuring behind-the-scenes and making-of videos, the Mass Effect 2 documentary takes a look at how the game was made.

I would wait for a sale before buying ME2. Sales for it are frequent and it usually goes to 5 bucks.

So basically a bunch of stuff that probably isn't worth 10 bucks haha.

And I guess I'll probably wait, have plenty of other games to play. Finishing the first game did get me really excited to start the second one though.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Check around more stores than just Origin and Steam. Greenmangaming and Amazon often have great deals on Bioware games and they will likely include Steam or Origin keys. If you are willing to wait a bit I'd suggest heading over to Cheapshark.com. They'll send you an email when a game goes below a certain price on a good dozen different platforms.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By e30bmw

@raven10 said:

Check around more stores than just Origin and Steam. Greenmangaming and Amazon often have great deals on Bioware games and they will likely include Steam or Origin keys. If you are willing to wait a bit I'd suggest heading over to Cheapshark.com. They'll send you an email when a game goes below a certain price on a good dozen different platforms.

Well shit, good call. http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-70582-Effect-Download/dp/B00452VH0Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385262024&sr=8-2&keywords=mass+effect+2

$5 for regular, $7.50 for deluxe. Don't know why I didn't think to check there myself, I've gotten two other games from PC there in the past month (Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3).

10 bucks is a good price for 3 right? That's also on sale right now and I'm tempted to pick it up as well.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

buying, downloading and installing the mass effect dlc on origin is very easy and convenient, just move your cursor over the game, then click the grey 'i' icon and everything is there to see. And yes 10 bucks is amazing value for ME3 lol.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Raven10

@e30bmw: Glad to be of help. Always try to remind people that there are more places than Steam to buy games for PC and some of them have just as good if not better sales.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.