Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 GDC alpha footage

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Lies

Gamevideos snagged some of the Mass Effect 2 video Bioware showed off during GDC. There's a quick clip of a cutscene and some alpha combat footage. The cutscene clip walks through the basic process they use when creating story sequences, but the last 30 seconds shows a near-finished cutscene (including a shot of Ashley's legs, so that confirms companion carryover, unless it's a new character wearing the same jumpsuit). The combat clip is the same thing- showing from prototype to finished product. What's notable in the combat is what appears to be a new HUD in the lower-left corner.

Combat clip:

Cutscene clip:

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vidiot

Looks like what I would expect. Let's just hope they make good with what they said and let me continue with my lvl 60 shepard character.

EberKain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By EberKain

The first game was great fun to play, I'm sure this one will be too...

The thing is, I read your headline, and realize, I'm not really even interested in seeing footage of Mass Effect 2...   What's the thought process there?  In quick review i would say its not to discriminate against this game, but sequels in general.  I mean, we all played the first one, and I've played this sequel game before.  Is there really going to be something here that will make this game radically different than the first one?  Not a chance.  So, heres a good april fools joke a game company should do, take a game they are not making a sequel to and release some aplha footage of the first one as beta footage from the upcoming next one.  I mean, even if the product did exist, its still going to be pretty much the same thing as before. 

Sorry to hijack your thread, I guess the only civil thing to do now is to watch the videos. 

Well, only the first one works for me.  I wish I could have heard the presenter better, the geek in me always likes to learn about how these guys get so much rendering out of a system dwarfed by any decent gaming desktop.  Impression:  It looked more hectic than the first game, hope they don't take more of an action slant with the new game.

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Colonel_Fury

2010 never seemed so far away.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By suneku

Looks sexy already

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Karmum

This seems too much like the first Mass Effect game, but then again, this is only early footage. Seems to be paced the same way, as well. Kind of unfortunate, since I wasn't a big fan of the way it was paced originally. Can't wait, though.

Trision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Trision

I know this is early on, but it looks really similar to the first one.  I mean, take out the redesigned shield bar and what we just saw would look like some downloadable content for the first game.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Zereta

May I just ask: In the combat clip, into the video, is that a freakin Minigun the player is using?

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By SpecTackle
    Zereta said:
    "May I just ask: In the combat clip, into the video, is that a freakin Minigun the player is using?"
    I'm guessing some kind of weird heavy machine gun.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

What differences do people expect to see anyway? The graphics quality is pretty much maxed aside from glitches they have hopefully resolved, the combat engine was solid and I suppose could use a few tweaks to be more intuitive, but apart from such slight tweaks, what do people expect from a sequel other than a continuation of the story? Isn't a whole new adventure what people want from a sequel? New story, new planets, new areas, hopefully more variety in the new areas, quests, solutions, side quests, gameplay, and all sorts of things that won't just be visible from a trailer but by actually playing the game, no? Now we're gonna call things like that "shoulda been DLC" or "it looks like an expansion" or what? What a silly concept tbh, especially for story driven games.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Zereta
    CynageN said:
    "Zereta said:
    "May I just ask: In the combat clip, into the video, is that a freakin Minigun the player is using?"
    I'm guessing some kind of weird heavy machine gun."
    Knew it was something like that. I spent a few minutes replaying that section to be sure. And the weapon on his back is new too it seems.

He seemed to be fighting Turians in the video. Cover system looks pretty refined too.
    The cutscene offers this reallly interesting point about the story. That asari must be some important person, probably a party member, that assasins were after but you saved her, uncovered why they were doing what they were doing, and she joins your party.

The entire cutscene is reminisent of the Speeder Car chase in Star Wars Episode 2, On Coruscant. This seems to be st in the Citadel City area, which bears a striking resemblance to Coruscant's City area.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By End_Boss
    Al3xand3r said:
    "What differences do people expect to see anyway? The graphics quality is pretty much maxed aside from glitches they have hopefully resolved, the combat engine was solid and I suppose could use a few tweaks to be more intuitive, but apart from such slight tweaks, what do people expect from a sequel other than a continuation of the story? Isn't a whole new adventure what people want from a sequel? New story, new planets, new areas, hopefully more variety in the new areas, quests, solutions, side quests, gameplay, and all sorts of things that won't just be visible from a trailer but by actually playing the game, no? Now we're gonna call things like that "shoulda been DLC" or "it looks like an expansion" or what? What a silly concept tbh, especially for story driven games."
    QFT

I don't think we should be complaining that they haven't completely revolutionized the game here; I was talking to some friends of mine and we would all be just fine with Bioware if all they did was continue the story with the same engine/graphics. The first game was (and is) gorgeous. Why should they work so hard to change that? The first combat system worked well, even if not perfectly. Why should they take drastic steps to create another Gears clone?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne

Took me a while to realize that the first female voice was computer generated. We've come a long way since Microsoft Sam, it seems.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb

Nice find, Lies!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By natetodamax

Now everyone is going to start saying stuff like "Wow this game is gonna suck" or "WTF everything looks the same!!!!!" because they're too ignorant to realize it's pre-alpha footage.

RyanD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RyanD

It has to be because it is in pre-alpha, but that looks exactly like the first mass Effect

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

hey thanks very much for sharing this!

Is it just me, or is pre-alpha and alpha footage just plain cool? I love seeing stuff as it's being built; large texture-less rooms....I dunno, maybe that's just me.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By toowalrus

Oh man, I still need to play Mass Effect 1... so little time for gaming!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

If the story is interesting thats all I care about..and that you can load up your previous character into the new game. Yeah...it looks like Mass Effect alright, not that I expected it to be much different. if the story is interesting though, and maybe gives you more freedom of exploration(instead of having 80% of the planets you can select unable to travel to) it'll be worth the play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.