Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2: Latest Trailer, Deconstructed

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By TheKidNixon

So BioWare has released another trailer for Mass Effect 2. Neat. Lets take a closer look at it though and see what all can be taken from the video. While it seems strange to say this for a game not yet released, this might constitute as "spoiler" territory if you don't wanna know anything about the game before it comes out. You've been warned.

First, lets just post the video in here for reference, from the fine folks over at GameTrailers:

Hot. But what all is going on here?

"Shepard...But Your Dead": Of course the biggest talking point is the confirmation that Shepard is in fact going to be in the game and playable. Which is a relief, but not that much of a surprise. The previous OXM article (which I'll be referring to a lot in this discussion of the trailer) already more or less let that cat out of the bag, though it also seems like you might be creating another character as well. Raiden-scenario possibly? Either way, Shepard is back and will be playable.

Illium: The majority, if not entirety, of this trailer seems to take place on and around Illium, an Asari colony world that had already been confirmed as one of your main locations. BioWare has talked the most about this mission, with almost every demo taking place on it. The talking points seems to be that an assassination attempt is going to occur, and Shepard must make the decision to either stop it or help the would-be killers. This offers a little more fuel to the Raiden-esque rumor, as it is entirely possible that Illium is a "prologue" world not unlike Eden Prime where something happens to Shepard, and you then take the story over from a different perspective. More info promised at E3. The world is supposedly based on Dubai, and looks like a very different setting from the previous game. It certainly is much more detailed than locations like Noveria. Very promising.

A Little Old, A Little New: Perhaps the most surprising, albeit blink-and-you'll-miss-it, feature in this trailer is the inclusion of what looks like a quarian hanging with Commander Shepard as part of his crew. Could this be Tali? Certain players of the original Mass Effect will know from a side-mission in that game that Tali made very clear that, win lose or draw, she was returning to the Flotila after the battle with Saren was done. Of course it is impossible to know thanks to Quarian's enviro-suits if this indeed everyone's favorite quarian pilgrim, but it does raise the possibility. Also featured in the trailer is Thane, a member of a new race called the drell introduced in Mass Effect 2, doing his assassin neck-snapping thing. Also, a black alliance officer is also with Shepard's crew. This could possibly be the Jacob of "Jacob's Story" fame, though impossible to tell with the different art styles between the two games. Oh, and we have a new evil asari hissing at Shepard in her best villain-rasping voice as well as some new enemy types, as well as blowing away some good old husks.

New Weapon
    : As mentioned in the previous Pre-E3 video, a new heavy weapons class has been added. This seems to function similiarly to a rocket launcher, possibly similiar to the rampage ability you can aquire with shotguns. It is primarily used seemingly for long distance blasting of foes and looks awesome. And speaking of weapons, this video marks our first official look at Mass Effect 2 combat which looks...a lot like Mass Effect 1 combat. Not a bad thing, persay, though BioWare has said they have changed things up be having an ability for you have conversations while actually in battle.

And Oh Yeah...It Looks Amazing: Despite its graphical pop-in, when Mass Effect was running smoothly it looked incredible. The same level of visual quality is on display here, and it seems to even outdo it predecessor. The amount of detailing on the Illium environments is really stunning to see, and it makes me all the more excited for a game I'm already hyped to moon about.

Anything I missed?

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheKidNixon

So BioWare has released another trailer for Mass Effect 2. Neat. Lets take a closer look at it though and see what all can be taken from the video. While it seems strange to say this for a game not yet released, this might constitute as "spoiler" territory if you don't wanna know anything about the game before it comes out. You've been warned.

First, lets just post the video in here for reference, from the fine folks over at GameTrailers:

Hot. But what all is going on here?

"Shepard...But Your Dead": Of course the biggest talking point is the confirmation that Shepard is in fact going to be in the game and playable. Which is a relief, but not that much of a surprise. The previous OXM article (which I'll be referring to a lot in this discussion of the trailer) already more or less let that cat out of the bag, though it also seems like you might be creating another character as well. Raiden-scenario possibly? Either way, Shepard is back and will be playable.

Illium: The majority, if not entirety, of this trailer seems to take place on and around Illium, an Asari colony world that had already been confirmed as one of your main locations. BioWare has talked the most about this mission, with almost every demo taking place on it. The talking points seems to be that an assassination attempt is going to occur, and Shepard must make the decision to either stop it or help the would-be killers. This offers a little more fuel to the Raiden-esque rumor, as it is entirely possible that Illium is a "prologue" world not unlike Eden Prime where something happens to Shepard, and you then take the story over from a different perspective. More info promised at E3. The world is supposedly based on Dubai, and looks like a very different setting from the previous game. It certainly is much more detailed than locations like Noveria. Very promising.

A Little Old, A Little New: Perhaps the most surprising, albeit blink-and-you'll-miss-it, feature in this trailer is the inclusion of what looks like a quarian hanging with Commander Shepard as part of his crew. Could this be Tali? Certain players of the original Mass Effect will know from a side-mission in that game that Tali made very clear that, win lose or draw, she was returning to the Flotila after the battle with Saren was done. Of course it is impossible to know thanks to Quarian's enviro-suits if this indeed everyone's favorite quarian pilgrim, but it does raise the possibility. Also featured in the trailer is Thane, a member of a new race called the drell introduced in Mass Effect 2, doing his assassin neck-snapping thing. Also, a black alliance officer is also with Shepard's crew. This could possibly be the Jacob of "Jacob's Story" fame, though impossible to tell with the different art styles between the two games. Oh, and we have a new evil asari hissing at Shepard in her best villain-rasping voice as well as some new enemy types, as well as blowing away some good old husks.

New Weapon
    : As mentioned in the previous Pre-E3 video, a new heavy weapons class has been added. This seems to function similiarly to a rocket launcher, possibly similiar to the rampage ability you can aquire with shotguns. It is primarily used seemingly for long distance blasting of foes and looks awesome. And speaking of weapons, this video marks our first official look at Mass Effect 2 combat which looks...a lot like Mass Effect 1 combat. Not a bad thing, persay, though BioWare has said they have changed things up be having an ability for you have conversations while actually in battle.

And Oh Yeah...It Looks Amazing: Despite its graphical pop-in, when Mass Effect was running smoothly it looked incredible. The same level of visual quality is on display here, and it seems to even outdo it predecessor. The amount of detailing on the Illium environments is really stunning to see, and it makes me all the more excited for a game I'm already hyped to moon about.

Anything I missed?

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Death_Unicorn

There does also seem to be some sort of new armor, I don't know if these are just the energy shields from the first, but the Asari did have something visible in front of his chest. Also, were those Husk's being blasted away by Shepard's awesome shotgun thing?
    Man, I cannot wait for this game, I've already watched the trailer 20 times.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

I really hope they fix the frame-rate drop issues they had in the first game and improve the quality of the side missions. The question I have is, where is Wrex in all of this? he seems to be missing. I really hope he will be featured in Mass Effect 2. That Wrex is one man...well Krogen...tank.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    mordukai said:
    I really hope they fix the frame-rate drop issues they had in the first game and improve the quality of ... [more]
    Well, I don't think they will probably show any of the *spoilers* crew members you could have killed off.
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheKidNixon
    mordukai said:
    I really hope they fix the frame-rate drop issues they had in the first game and improve the quality of ... [more]
    Well seeing how he can die, I doubt they're going to have him show up in trailers for fear of offending individual's canon.
    Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Colonel_Fury

I wouldn't mind there being a Raiden-esque type scenario. I'm glad they didn't kill off Shepard becuase I sunk a lot time into my Shepard and emotional investment. I would've been sad if they killed him off.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheKidNixon
    Lydian_Sel said:
    @Colonel_Fury: By "Raiden-esque type scenarios" do you mean some melee type action going on?? That'd be interesting to see in ... [more]
    Well the initial point I was meaning to make was that, like MGS2, you'll start the game as Shepard but something will happen to him. Then you switch to a new character, who has to rescue Shepard.

I can't speak for the Colonel.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By End_Boss

Honestly, I want to play Mass Effect 2, in its entirety, as Shepard. I just wouldn't be satisfied with switching to a fresh character that I haven't experience all of those highs and lows with; I would feel cheated. As for the various questions concerning Wrex, I can't absolutely confirm it is him, but if you watch previous interviews and "behind-the-scenes" with the Bioware folks, you see some concept art panels in which a human is speaking to what is clearly a Krogan character, and the words "good to see you again" are visible. From that, I consider it to be highly likely that we will see a return of the smack-talking mercenary, if only as a cameo.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheKidNixon
    End_Boss said:
    Honestly, I want to play Mass Effect 2, in its entirety, as Shepard. I just wouldn't be satisfied with switching ... [more]
    Oh I'm sure he'll be there if he's still alive; otherwise, it wouldn't make sense all the times they've said "People who have died in your previous game aren't coming back." I also fully expect whoever you choose in the Kaidan/Ashley conundrum will appear at some point.
    Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Colonel_Fury
    TheKidNixon said:
    Lydian_Sel said: @Colonel_Fury: By "Raiden-esque type scenarios" do you mean some melee type action going on?? That'd be interesting to ... [more]

I meant the whole rescue thing. Honestly though, I'd prefer to play the whole game as Shepard.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#13  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Did the way he was using cover in battle seem any different to you all?

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By cc23574

great read dude, ME2 is gonna be epic! At E3 we will know more.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By cc23574

great read dude, ME2 is gonna be epic! At E3 we will know more.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

ahoodedfigure said:
    Did the way he was using cover in battle seem any different to you all?
    I can't remember exactly how the cover worked in ME1 but it's safe to say that aspect will be expanded (it looks better than I remember the cover stuff looking in ME1).  They're trying to expand the combat to be like a legit shooter and this would be an important part.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By keyhunter

I hope they make Shepard an NPC that gives out some fetch quests. Or better yet, make him a party member. Or even better yet, reference his existance and then put a "gone fishin' " note on his office.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#18  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud: How far in the shooter direction do you think they're going to go?  I got the feeling when they were still in development with the first one that they were setting the impossible goal of having the pause-plan mode be equal to the full-on action mode.  If they go in one direction over another, or maybe better integrate them so you'd sort of want to issue commands AND play it like a shooter, then it might go a little way toward restoring some people's confidence in the franchise.  You can't really please everybody, so just improve what you think serves the game.

I know people who would be satisfied if they cleaned up the inventory management, had more competent AI, and had more variety on random planets, so if they do those simple things they could go a long way for some folks.
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ahoodedfigure:  Just as far to make it feel as satisfying as a top level shooter.  This seems to be their goal.  I wouldn't be worried about any of it hurting the RPG elements of the game, and since they're also saying they are improving the combat AI the command mode should be only better.

It's good to see that Bioware knows where ME1 was weak.  Hopefully they make all the neccessary improvements.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheKidNixon

I doubt that the cover mechanic will be too overhauled, mostly probably touch up the "hit detection" of when you're up against something that can function as a cover. The most frustrating thing is that walls seem to suck you into cover in ME1, which can be a problem, especially in really heavy gun fights. I suspect we'll here if that has been overhauled when the demo impressions come out from E3.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21  Edited By natetodamax

I saw that the other day. Looks awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.