I just though I would share this with the community for those of you that are in the same boat I was in. On the PC version of Mass Effect 2 I was having problems with it taking anywhere from 60-120 seconds to load whenever I would transfer from deck to deck of the Normandy. Now I thought this was just how the game worked, but after searching around I found this fix, and my loads went form taking two minutes to less then 3 seconds. To say the least my mind was blown. I wish I knew about this before I spent about 30 hours putting up with these nightmarishly long load times.
Anyway, the reason you're here. The problem is with a bug in the unreal engine for those of you using dual core processors. The bug essentially multiples the load times by upwards of 10 times what it's supposed to be. To fix this simply do the following:
- Once you start the game alt tab back to the desktop.
- Go to your task manager ( ctrl +alt+ delete)
- Find "masseffect2.exe" in the processes list, then right click it and go to "Set Affinity...".
- Change it to one core, then click ok.
- Re-open it again and set it back to two.
- Congratulations, you just cut your load times to nothing! Sadly you will need to do this every time you start the game.
Hope this helps someone. I know my enjoyment of the game went through the roof after doing this fix.