Mass Effect 2: The Demo

• 60 results
#51 Posted by NTM (7340 posts) -

When in the action (being soldier), Mass Effect 2 was kind of like playing Gears of War without the tumbling. I actually wish they put a roll function in the third.

#52 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -
@Claude said:
" Don't be a pussy, buy the fucking game and play it. Demo? So curious and lost without rhyme or reason. "
that's dumb, a demo is supposed to entice you into playing the full version; it obviously didn't entice him, so why would he buy it?
#53 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @Claude said:
" Don't be a pussy, buy the fucking game and play it. Demo? So curious and lost without rhyme or reason. "
that's dumb, a demo is supposed to entice you into playing the full version; it obviously didn't entice him, so why would he buy it? "
The demo was cool and all, but I really didn't like it. It was the main reason I held off on buying it until the price dropped. Boy was I wrong. The game is strong and holds great character. Play it, don't be a pussy.
#54 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@Hailinel: 
I notice you often stand behind JRPGs and defend them to death on these forums, which I can understand since I'm a huge fan of them myself. But I'm a bit curious since one of your major issues with ME2 (and upcoming DA2) is the lack of a robust character creation tool, but I'm thinking hard here and can't think of a single JRPG that have that tool at all. I mean, JRPGs almost always focus on a set linear story revolving around the lead character(s) and don't really allow any personally created characters in any form.

Please don't take this as an insult or "lol JRPGs suck" (as I said, I'm a huge fan myself of them), I'm just curious since you brought that up as a big no-no.
#55 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:
" @Hailinel:  I notice you often stand behind JRPGs and defend them to death on these forums, which I can understand since I'm a huge fan of them myself. But I'm a bit curious since one of your major issues with ME2 (and upcoming DA2) is the lack of a robust character creation tool, but I'm thinking hard here and can't think of a single JRPG that have that tool at all. I mean, JRPGs almost always focus on a set linear story revolving around the lead character(s) and don't really allow any personally created characters in any form.  Please don't take this as an insult or "lol JRPGs suck" (as I said, I'm a huge fan myself of them), I'm just curious since you brought that up as a big no-no. "
This is true. If you can call FF13 an RPG, then there's probably no limit to what you can slap the label on.  

Either way I played ME2 like Max Payne with dialogue options. Play a soldier class and abuse the slo-mo, and it's a whole new ballgame. 
#56 Edited by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

You know what it would be pretty interesting to see a turn based strategy game in the Mass Effect universe.
ooh dude that would be like Valkyria chronicles sign me up.

#57 Posted by Matiaz_Tapia (261 posts) -

For the ones who mentioned D&D and related products. D&D and other table top rpgs of old ( or the 80's) where the first blueprint of what video games have become : A set of rules to imitate a situation that doesn't exist in a complex way . HP for example wasn't justified as simply having "more blood", it was more about simulating that your character simply became a better fighter ( stance, muscle memory, etc) and it was mainly because there was no other way to simulate it.  

I wish the RPG label disappeared just so people can focus on wishing there was more depth and nuance to games again. ( Like, if you're good enough to stab someone in the eye, that person/creature should die instead of simply subtracting an arbitrary number count and call it a "critical") 

Another point would be that action games also have number counts and rules similar to what's known to be as rpg's. It's just that those are not shown as actual numbers to the player.

#58 Posted by Hailinel (24409 posts) -
@Cornman89 said:
" @Hailinel: Ugh... did you really have to mention the Fade? And the Archdemon? Now I'm in a bad mood.

Oh, and when I say "deeper", I mean in the sense that active abilities do a lot of different things. Like, in FFXII, getting a new fire spell means its a more powerful version of the last one; but in DA:O, it's a functionally different ability. I'd been raised on Fire-Fira-Firaga, so that really blew my mind. Combat felt more like a "puzzle" than a game of attrition, which is something I haven't felt of a lot of RPGs I've played. FFXIII's combat felt like a puzzle, too, incidentally.

I'm really looking forward to DA2. I mean, I understand people being bummed that DA2 is different, but nothing I've seen has made me feel like that's a bad thing. Just...different? I'm actually more excited because I don't know what it's going to be. "
Sorry. :P

When I look at the way that the magic is constructed in Dragon Age, it's really nothing more than a variant of D&D magic.  Actually, the entire game is structured like an old Bioware D&D game, just without the official rule set.

While I'd like Dragon Age II to be awesome, and not necessarily a carbon-copy of the first game, so far, the only "differences" I've heard are only differences in the sense that they make the narrative more like Mass Effect and less like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale.  Hawke really sounds like nothing more than Commander Shepard II, in terms of predefining a character to a point where all you have control over are his looks and how angelic or dickish you want him to be to the people he talks to.  I could be wrong (I hope I'm wrong), but it doesn't sound like they're taking the game in a direction that I'd prefer. 

@KingWilly said:
" @Hailinel: If that's what you look for, fine, but don't act like it's not an RPG when you're showing a very flawed definition of what an RPG is in the first place.   I don't like Final Fantasy XIII, but you won't see me bitching about it on the boards (a year later) to get a rise out of people. "

How am I bitching about the game?  I criticized my time with the demo and made one loopy blog about the default Commander Shepard design.  Once again, you're blowing things out of proportion here.  And if a guy shouldn't be expected to criticize something, then all you end up with is an endless array of internet circle-jerking.

@kingzetta said:
" You know what it would be pretty interesting to see a turn based strategy game in the Mass Effect universe. ooh dude that would be like Valkyria chronicles sign me up. "

Yeah, that would be interesting to see.

@CrazyChris said:
" @Hailinel:  I notice you often stand behind JRPGs and defend them to death on these forums, which I can understand since I'm a huge fan of them myself. But I'm a bit curious since one of your major issues with ME2 (and upcoming DA2) is the lack of a robust character creation tool, but I'm thinking hard here and can't think of a single JRPG that have that tool at all. I mean, JRPGs almost always focus on a set linear story revolving around the lead character(s) and don't really allow any personally created characters in any form.  Please don't take this as an insult or "lol JRPGs suck" (as I said, I'm a huge fan myself of them), I'm just curious since you brought that up as a big no-no. "

Here's the thing.  In western-style RPGs that sacrifice a stricter narrative in favor of more character customization and a potentially more open world, character creation seems perfectly natural.  Much more natural than say, Final Fantasy X, which has a very defined narrative and a protagonist that has his own look and personality.  Give the player control over Tidus's look and his tone when speaking to others, and it suddenly becomes a different story.  Despite what others think, I believe that there is room for both linear and nonlinear storytelling.  I'm not saying that RPGs need a character creation tool; that whole strand of conversation extended out of the previous blog post, where I chided Bioware for seeming to hide the Mass Effect character creation system away in favor of a comparatively bland default design that is omnipresent in their marketing and other media.
#59 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@Hailinel: 
Alright, cheers for the input mate.
#60 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

I'm playing through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 right now, slowly realizing that Mass Effect 2 is much better in all aspects.  But for those who say it isn't an RPG, it is I'm sorry to say.  With the simple emphisis on leveling up, I would plainly say that yes this is an RPG.

#61 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4240 posts) -

Being an outsider, my impression is that the customization more comes from how you define yourself based on your dialog choices, rather than stats. I've talked about it before, but I feel the dialog choices lose a bit of strength when they're color-coded by the programmer gods. The action in ME2 is a lot more fun to watch even if there are obvious combat zones and a repetitiveness to the cover system, and given what I've heard about ME1's combat you probably would like that even less, even though there were a few more RPG elements in there with more complex skill level upgrades, since shots seemed to be based on random number generation.

It seems to me that the choices for 1 and 2 will lead into 3, with all the consequences of your prior actions finally having significance beyond a few dead characters and side characters mentioning the effects. So the environment/factions are affected by which branch you take, which I'd also consider to be customization.

There's not much exploration to be had in the second game, much less than the first game even if the latter's variance on a given world wasn't that great.

As to what defines an RPG, that discussion's become so watered down that I start talking about definition continuums rather than a precise formula. I think your honest reaction that you didn't enjoy the game should be enough for people, although sometimes I find it hard to like a game that I've heard everyone likes, just because my expectations are bound to get overblown. 

Even if I like to think I'm above this sort of thing, though, I sometimes find myself looking for reviews of games/movies/books I like a lot, just so I can feel a sense of community from people who like it in the same or similar ways. When someone doesn't like it, and their criticism feels inadequate for whatever reason, it sort of spoils that feeling, although I guess going around expecting everyone to think like me is sort of how cults are born if taken too far :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.