Mass Effect 3

#1 Posted by dismalatrophy (15 posts) -

Maybe I'm impatient, but waiting for so long for the sequel (don't get me wrong, it was worth the wait) was somewhat frustrating because I find the story so captivating. Anybody have any idea when they're planning the third, I've been trying to find some info but am unable.

#2 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

It comes out March 23.  Better get your pre order done.

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

End of 2011 is my guess.

#4 Posted by Dustpan (1686 posts) -

They are in pre-production phase of the game at the moment. Late 2011 - Early 2012.

#5 Posted by EpicSteve (6438 posts) -

I'm guessing two years. Give them some time to release DLC for DA and ME 2, and Star Wars early next year.

#6 Edited by TaccyP (307 posts) -

As much as I want them to take their time, I'm itching for ME3 more than any other game. I really want it to be a perfect game, but I also want it as soon as possible. A safe guess is about 1.5-2 years of development time for ME3, though.

Hopefully the DLC for ME2 really delivers, making the wait for 3 much easier.

#7 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

ME1 had a good framework but still had some significant gameplay and presentation issues. ME2 is just a way more technically impressive and wholly enjoyable game, so if they just made another story and slapped it into this blueprint... I'd totally pay $60 for that.

#8 Edited by HatKing (5557 posts) -

I think they're going to go about another two years, it makes sense.  This isn't a media frenzy title but it carries plenty of weight, so they aren't going to feel rushed but they aren't going forget about it either.  I wouldn't be totally surprised if it came a little quicker than ME2 though.  This time at least we have DLC to look forward to.  They built this game from the ground up for DLC and have talked a lot about it, I think we are looking at something that'll get the Fallout treatment, good support. 

Also I am going through a real weird period right now.  I love the game so much that I am actually mad at it for being over.  I spent 40 hours in it on one playthrough, that is about four times longer than the average game today... hard to complain about that... also I haven't done any real exploring so I got a bunch of side stuff to do. 
#9 Posted by Zao (122 posts) -

I think ME3 will come sooner than we think Im sure they have already built much of it. My hope is they have a total overhaul again like mass1 to mass2 just so it it isint just mass 2.5.
#10 Posted by Dustpan (1686 posts) -
@Zao said:
" I think ME3 will come sooner than we think Im sure they have already built much of it. My hope is they have a total overhaul again like mass1 to mass2 just so it it isint just mass 2.5. "
They are coming up with story ideas at the moment.
#11 Posted by dismalatrophy (15 posts) -

I managed to find some q&a articles with the producer, essentially what they're saying is that they want to ensure its an epic/quality end to the series but also that they get the game out before the current systems (360, ps3) are obsolete. So probably a year and a half. I'm itching for the conclusion.

#12 Posted by Snail (8468 posts) -

I head that in Mass Effect 2 Shepard dying is a possibility. If this is so then how can you make a sequel with no Shepard?

#13 Posted by pause422 (6153 posts) -
@Snail said:
" I head that in Mass Effect 2 Shepard dying is a possibility. If this is so then how can you make a sequel with no Shepard? "
You can't. If you have Shepard die in ME2, you can't load that file into ME3 when it comes out. You need to have a save where he doesn't die.
#14 Posted by Snail (8468 posts) -
@pause422 said:
" @Snail said:
" I head that in Mass Effect 2 Shepard dying is a possibility. If this is so then how can you make a sequel with no Shepard? "
You can't. If you have Shepard die in ME2, you can't load that file into ME3 when it comes out. You need to have a save where he doesn't die. "
I assume that having Shepard die doesn't necessarily mean that you "lost" the game. He could be making a sacrifice for the greater good, which is a suitable and appropriate ending, so if there is going to be a Mass Effect 3 (which we have no evidence or even the slightest confirmation of) I believe they shouldn't say "Oh, right, you have *that* save file... You see, that didn't really happen, pick another one". 

Why is everyone so confident that there will be a Mass Effect 3 anyhow?
#15 Posted by dismalatrophy (15 posts) -
@Snail said:
" @pause422 said:
 Why is everyone so confident that there will be a Mass Effect 3 anyhow? "
Bioware has stated that Mass Effect is a trilogy.
#16 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1437 posts) -
@JustTheDoctor said:
" @Zao said:
" I think ME3 will come sooner than we think Im sure they have already built much of it. My hope is they have a total overhaul again like mass1 to mass2 just so it it isint just mass 2.5. "
They are coming up with story ideas at the moment. "

how do you know all this? lol.
#17 Posted by NoXious (1335 posts) -

I don't care so much about the Mass Effect 3 release date. I just want to know what affects your game from ME 1 + 2.
For example, a possible Samara romance in ME3 if I have no LI in ME 1 and 2 but leave her alive? Things like that.

#18 Posted by Karmum (11509 posts) -
@Snail said:
" @pause422 said:
" @Snail said:
You can't. If you have Shepard die in ME2, you can't load that file into ME3 when it comes out. You need to have a save where he doesn't die. "
I assume that having Shepard die doesn't necessarily mean that you "lost" the game. He could be making a sacrifice for the greater good, which is a suitable and appropriate ending, so if there is going to be a Mass Effect 3 (which we have no evidence or even the slightest confirmation of) I believe they shouldn't say "Oh, right, you have *that* save file... You see, that didn't really happen, pick another one".  Why is everyone so confident that there will be a Mass Effect 3 anyhow? "
Bioware said awhile ago that they always wanted to make Mass Effect a trilogy. The way Mass Effect 2 is selling, a third game is a no brainer. Not to include the way the second game ends.
#19 Posted by JoelTGM (5591 posts) -

woah slow down

#20 Posted by Falseghost (3 posts) -
@Snail:
Ok dude, you should really play the game and pay attention, in the game there is a tip during one of the loading screens that says you need to keep sheperd alive if you want to import him into Mass Effect 3. If you go read around, It has been boldy confermed that Mass Effect 3 WILL BE COMING and it will take about 2 years to make.
#21 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

I'm gonna say one and a half years or so. 
It'll definitely be out before the 360's lifecycle is done, though, and the gap will probably be shorter than 1-2 because a large portion of Mass Effect 2 development was spent fixing up old Mass Effect 1 problems.

#22 Posted by DTKT (115 posts) -

So, does anyone know how ME2 is selling? Numbers maybe?

#23 Posted by Feser (543 posts) -

It will come out before Half-Life 2 Episode 3.
#24 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -

i could see them releasing Mass Effect 3 at the end of 2011.

#25 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I see them releasing it in July next year. They don't have to rework mechanics in the game as they did from ME1 to 2. THey all are perfect and work well. The only thing they might want to change up is scanning planets and everything can just be....ported to me 3.

#26 Posted by IndeedCodyBrown (391 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 .... Never ......
#27 Posted by pause422 (6153 posts) -

Its public knowledge that ME is a trilogy. Bioware also in a recent interview stated that they were already beginning work on ME3.

#28 Posted by Snail (8468 posts) -
@DTKT said:
" So, does anyone know how ME2 is selling? Numbers maybe? "
It already passed 2 Million, that's all I know. 

@Falseghost said:
" @Snail: Ok dude, you should really play the game and pay attention, in the game there is a tip during one of the loading screens that says you need to keep sheperd alive if you want to import him into Mass Effect 3. If you go read around, It has been boldy confermed that Mass Effect 3 WILL BE COMING and it will take about 2 years to make. "
You need to pay attention to my post. I never said I have the game. 

@Karmum said:
"Bioware said awhile ago that they always wanted to make Mass Effect a trilogy. The way Mass Effect 2 is selling, a third game is a no brainer. Not to include the way the second game ends. "
So instead of making an ending feel somewhat "invalid" why not just make a prequel? All franchises end up doing that sooner or later.
#29 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

Finally I can have a threeway with Garrus and Wrex!

#30 Posted by Karmum (11509 posts) -
@Snail: 
I don't know, I can't answer that.
#31 Posted by Aaox (1656 posts) -
@dismalatrophy said:
" @Snail said:
" @pause422 said:
 Why is everyone so confident that there will be a Mass Effect 3 anyhow? "
Bioware has stated that Mass Effect is a trilogy. "
Also in the loading screens I've seen the words "Mass Effect 3" pop up at least three separate times.
#32 Posted by Jayzilla (2538 posts) -
@dismalatrophy: in the loading screens in ME2, I got messages saying that my characters decisions would greatly influence what happened to me in MAss Effect 3.
#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

I think it could be slightly less than two years, just because they'd probably not have to make so many gameplay changes. ME2 feels like almost a completely different game, especially the combat. Now that the framework exists for ME's true potential, I think 3 can't take too long to make. So I'm saying max two years, maybe one and a half. 

Either way... god I want it now. That game has such an epic ending, I'm pumped!

#34 Posted by SonicFire (820 posts) -

Well, all I know is I'm paranoid on how I've played ME2 now, because of how MUCH they actually connected the ME1 playthrough and the ME2 playthrough, it's ridiculous how much can be different. 

Like on my current playthrough (2nd) I'm not even taking any romance options, because it wouldn't surprise me if they made "faithfulness" a requirement to continue ME1 romances in the third game. Casey Hudson has said that there could be ramifications to that in the third game. 

#35 Edited by Maxszy (2064 posts) -
@SonicFire: Yeah I would assume/guess that would be the case. Really would love the chance to get back with Ashley so I will be definitely making a play through where I don't go down the romance tree at all in ME2. I would guess they are going that way in some regard. They wont just leave you hanging, its a big enough thing that it I bet it will be in there.

I would really guess end of 2011 at the latest. Makes sense at this point. Sure, they may have not have to fix a lot like they did with ME2 from ME1 but...they still have to make ALL new facial animations. All new planets/missions. New characters I would presume. Lots of stuff. Its much more than just a copy+paste job!
#36 Posted by DTKT (115 posts) -
@SonicFire said:
"Well, all I know is I'm paranoid on how I've played ME2 now, because of how MUCH they actually connected the ME1 playthrough and the ME2 playthrough, it's ridiculous how much can be different.  Like on my current playthrough (2nd) I'm not even taking any romance options, because it wouldn't surprise me if they made "faithfulness" a requirement to continue ME1 romances in the third game. Casey Hudson has said that there could be ramifications to that in the third game.  "

Yeah, but they really set it up as something is wrong in the relationship. So, I just switched from Liara to Tali!
#37 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

Liara was being pretty cold so I'm ditching her to be honest.

Haven't seen her in 2 years and she just sends me off on some quest what the hell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.