Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

ME2 Closed Door Impressions

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Lies

Shacknews got their hands on ME2 behind closed doors, and what they describe sounds incredibly awesome and incredibly ambitious.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58969

It is no longer be a spoiler to say that Commander Shepard, hero of Mass Effect, lives in Mass Effect 2. Despite the clever teaser, he is, again, the hero.

"We've always said we wanted to create a story about taking one human through [a huge story]," said Mass Effect 2 project director Casey Hudson during a lengthy demo of the game. "And that human is Commander Shepard."

As planned, players can carry over their saved data from Mass Effect, with character choices and gameplay decisions impacting the events of the dark sequel.

The real surprise coming out of E3 is that it also won't be much of a spoiler to say that Commander Shepard dies in Mass Effect 2.

In fact, plenty of major characters in Mass Effect 2 can die before the end of the game. And if Shepard or any of his companions die, and you carry over that data to Mass Effect 3, those characters won't make appearances in the final game of the trilogy.

Before we got to a fatal scenario, BioWare showed us a section of the game where Shepard and company infiltrate a building to find a mysterious assassin. Hudson explained that Shepard is tracking down the mysterious disappearance of humans across the galaxy, a quest that will culminate in a significant final mission--a mission that will see your decisions impacting every stage of the climax.

The first gameplay segment shown amounted to a conversation between Shapard and blue-skinned alien Liara in a flying car, a scene first shown at GDC. BioWare has stepped up the cinematic camera angles in Mass Effect 2, and not to a gimmicky level--nearly every shot during the conversations was beautifully staged, including plenty of dynamic camera movement.

Liara eventually dropped Shepard off at the target building, at which point the party quickly captured a guard, leading Hudson to introduce the new "interrupt system"--a new way for players to physically and abruptly end a conversation.

During the guard's interrogation--"Tell me where the assassin is!"--players will eventually see a flashing exclamation mark in the lower left corner marked with the left-trigger icon. Upon pressing it, Shepard simply pushed the guard out the window, leading one character to quip, "So when do we read him his rights?"

Shortly thereafter, Hudson detailed a few of the new combat systems. Mass Effect 2 will now allow players to fire off abilities without pausing the game, in addition to issuing move and attack orders for independent party members. All of this lends itself to a more dynamic combat scenario, with a great focus on scooting and shooting.

Of course, the abilities themselves have been bolstered by new additions. The Bionic Pull will allow players to yank enemies out from behind cover, while concussive rounds physically blast characters into the air. There are nine new weapons classes in all, including a new heavy weapons system.

Now we hit spoiler territory--or, at least, light spoiler territory. As the ending--and the middle--of Mass Effect 2 will change depending on your decisions, to call anything a true spoiler seems pointless. Even still:

DO NOT READ BELOW THIS POINT IF YOU WISH TO REMAIN ENTIRELY UNSPOILED.

Following the building scenario, BioWare had two more quick glimpses of the game. The first was of various other planets, which will now be more varied in design, or "like a science-fiction painting come to life," as Hudson put it.

But the really interesting stuff was in the concept that any character can die in Mass Effect 2, depending on the decisions of the player.

To illustrate this point, BioWare skipped ahead to a later section of the game. An unknown alien force had torn apart the flagship starship Normandy, the ship near collapse. Shepard issued an evacuation order, forcing Linara to head to the escape pods. Surrounded by chaos, Shepard slowly made his way through the fire to a doorway--and then the booming sound dropped out entirely, sucked away by the vacuum of space in Dead Space style.

Walking on the skin of the dying ship, Shepard eventually found shipmate Joker, who is attempting to save the craft. But at that moment, the enemy ship fired a beam weapon at the ship, violently splitting it down the seam. Shepard was knocked about in the fury, then was entirely jettisoned into space. The hero flailed about in space as his air leaked out from the wrecked spacesuit, then disappeared into the black.

BioWare ended the live demonstration there. Hudson didn't need to reiterate that Mass Effect 2 was indeed a darker sequel.

It sounds awesome, but it also sounds as if Bioware may be branching the story beyond the realm of control. If all of the choices from the first game roll over into the second, and all the choices form the second roll over into the third, two games of Mass Effect 3 will be completely different. While that sounds awesome, I don't think it's feasible. But Bioware is a talented company- we'll see how this works out.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

that sounds so awesome 

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Mrnitropb

The brand new Conversation Interrupt feature that we totally didn't promise in the last game!

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Man, I knew it, I knew it from that trailer that
    *Spoilers*

Joker

*End Spoilers*
    would die =(
    I hope you can prevent this, howeve, MAN 2010 PLEASE COME FASTER!

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Pibo47

I didnt read the spoilers part...but this all sounds great. Cannot wait for this game!!!!

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Colonel_Fury

How would Shepard die you think? Would it be an Fallout 3 situation where you take the noble way out (sacrifice yourself for the sake of others) or could it be via cutscene?

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Drebin_893

Why do you have the same avatar as BoG?

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

The footage on IGN for this game looks awesome.  I've read that they're improving the shooting but watch this video if you really want to see how much better the combat looks in Mass Effect 2

Just a lot more polished.  Can't wait for this game.
    Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Colonel_Fury

Lets also hope that there are less elevator rides.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By RandomHero666

Mass effect was the worst game i have ever had the misfortune of playing, but maybe ill give the sequel a go, rent it for a day

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax
    @RandomHero666 said:
    " Mass effect was the worst game i have ever had the misfortune of playing, but maybe ill give the sequel a go, rent it for a day "
    What didn't you like about it?
    RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By RandomHero666
    @natetodamax said:
    "
    @RandomHero666 said:
    " Mass effect was the worst game i have ever had the misfortune of playing, but maybe ill give the sequel a go, rent it for a day "
    What didn't you like about it? "
    For starters, even though i had it for months and played it a lot, i barely got past the first mission, i really wanted to get further into it and enjoy the apparent awesomeness, i guess its just not to my taste, too slow, too clunky and too spacey

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.