Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

ME:2 DLC... Worth it?

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Gerhabio

I'm thinking of getting the Shadow Broker this Christmas... should I? What other DLC for ME:2 did you enjoy and is it worth its price?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

Yes.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

Best DLC of the bunch by far.  Kasumi: Stolen Memory is also great.  If you haven't had your fill then get Overlord as well, but it's not necessary.  The first two are totally worth your time.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yes.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

I thought the ending to Overlord was worth it. The actual gameplay is kind of a grind but I thought the premise and pay off for the story was pretty cool. Kasumi's mission is really short but she s a good squad mate.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Broker, Kasumi, Overload, The Weapons Pack with the Laser Sighted Pistol, any other pack you're interested in. 
    In that order -Broker is absolutely hands down required. Some people might argue that Overload is better than Kasumi, I didn't find that to be the case - Overlord is a lot of Geth and Firewalker action whereas Kasumi's stolen memory gives you a new type of mission, some new casual wear, and a new squad mate (and by extensiona new power).

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Venatio

Yes, if your like me and want to see everything about Mass Effect

I loved Lair of the Shadow Broker and Kasumi: Stolen Memory is fun, mostly because Kasumi's a great character

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gerhabio
    @AlexW00d:  Yes what?
    Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wasara88

Lair of the Shadow Broker is a must have for anyone. It's the best DLC i have ever played and it tops most of the missions found on the disc, so its well worth the money. Everything else is just a matter of how big of a fan of ME you are. Kasumi and Overlord are good too, but they felt like your typical DLC to me. 
    PS. I have bought and played them all because i'm a ME junkie, but if you even have to think about if your willing to spend the points on LotSB then i would steer clear from the other.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gerhabio
    @SteamPunkJin:@AlisterCat:  But is the Kasumi story worth its price? I mean, is it interesting enough so that it outweighs its short length? Because I don't really care much for new powers, weapons or armors: It's all about the story for me.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gerhabio
    @Wasara88: Yeah, unless I hear any other compelling arguments in their favor, I think I'll just stick to Shadow Broker and skip the sidelines stuff.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#12  Edited By alistercat
    @G3RHRT:  No, the Kasmui narrative thread is OK but not substantial or particularly deep. While aboard your ship she will comment on many of the events that have happened and random goings on about the ship which is kind of interesting but that's it. She's about as substantial as Zaeed.
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By stinky

shadow broker is good if you enjoy the ME storyline and characters.
    rest is totally skippable.

euryb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By euryb

Kasumi, Lair Of The Shadow Broker and Overlord was on a leaked list of the Countdown to 2011 sale list so give it a couple days and you'll be able to get them on the cheap.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By rockinkemosabe

Shadow Broker is a must buy. Everything else just doesn't feel like it warrants the price of the DLC. 

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uberexplodey

was I the only one that liked the weapon pack...? I thought the guns were pretty good 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Geno

Shadow Broker is the only one that's worthwhile. And maybe the latest weapon pack. 

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By salad10203

Overlord is by far the best DLC, IMO. 

Edit: Liara and the Shadow Broker is pretty awesome as well.  The others didn't seem worth the cash to me.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wasara88
    @UberExplodey: I loved the guns in it, but they are not essential to get and i felt it made the game feel a little too easy. The locust smg you get from Kasumi + the weapon pack means  you have an amazing accurate death dealing gun for any class.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overlord is great, Lair is greater, dunno Kasumi, fuck weapon and outfit packs.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

Can you play Lair and Kasumi after finishing the game, or do you have to play them during a playthrough of the main game?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Well, they've got better plots than the main game, at least.

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Psych0Penguin

Hell yeah!

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By MEATBALL

I really enjoyed the Overlord DLC, it told an interesting (if not overtly original) story and I really liked the way the DLC spanned multiple missions linked by the use of the Hammerhead. Lair of the Shadow Broker is fantastic, a really tightly paced bit of DLC with a great story and awesome mood, it also has some added benefits for those who're in the middle of the game and some interesting little bits of information. It also has easily the best boss battle to appear in Mass Effect, it's a very gamey boss battle, but it was great.

Kasumi's Stolen Memory was the weakest of the paid DLC missions, I thought, but I still enjoyed it and didn't mind the fee.

@Jimbo:  You can play all DLC after finishing the game.

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By ___pocalypse

I enjoyed all of the DLC but LotSB is a must have; it has everything I wanted out of DLC and has the added bonus of a zone that's really useful in game that you can use/go to any time. Kasumi was fun and Overlord had an interesting story, but they're definitely a little pricey for what they are. Kasumi is cool to have around, though.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By fjordson

Shadow Broker was fantastic and definitely worth playing. Everything else was interesting, but not essential. I guess I'd place Kasumi's DLC after Shadow Broker. I enjoyed her as a character and she's a cool squad mate to have. Overlord was fun enough, but it's a fairly inconsequential side story when all's said and done.

arteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By arteen
    @Jimbo said:
    " Can you play Lair and Kasumi after finishing the game, or do you have to play them during a playthrough of the main game? "
    You can play all of the DLC after you beat the game.

I'd recommend Kasumi, then Shadow Broker, then Overlord.  Kasumi provides a whole new squadmate and a new weapon, which enhances the game overall.  Shadow Broker's combat gets repetitive, but has great dialogue and gives you some cool extras at the end, like the ability to re-spec your squadmates.  Overlord is a lot of fun, but it's very much a stand-alone mission that doesn't advance the Mass Effect storyline as a whole, so it's the most skippable of the bunch, but still worth a purchase if you just can't get enough Mass Effect.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo
    @MEATBALL:@Arteen: 

Ace, thanks.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By pweidman

Shadow Broker is essential in tying ME2 and 3 together imo.  It was designed with that in mind.  That said, Overlord was very good and had a good creepy story tc.  Kasumi was allright, although a bit short.  She's a new teammate w/incredible abilities, who should show up in ME3, so there's that going for her DLC.  The weapon and armor paks are there mostly to aid the people trying to beat the insane difficulty.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MikkaQ

As someone very interested in the ME universe, Shadow Broker really intreagues me, but I'm kinda cheap with MS points (since 800 is never REALLY 10$). About how many hours did it take you guys to get through it?

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wasara88
    @XII_Sniper: If you are truly interested about ME there isn't even a question...you should get it. It's one of the best missions in the whole game. It doesn't feel like your average run of the mill DLC missions like those in dragon age or the previous ME packs. I don't get it why almost every time people are on the fence on dlc they base their purchase by the lenght of it. I mean any more length to pinnacle station (ME) or Golems of Amgarrak (DA:O) wouldn't have made them any better.  

If it was ridiculously short it would have been raged to death already in reviews and in the forums. It's hard to give a accurate estimate but it's definitely longer than your average recruitment missions. I would say 4-5 hours maybe.  
    Theres so much variety in LotSB and the story in it is amazing. If you have the 800ms points i really can't think of an better investment...ok super meat boy is awesome.
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vaile
    @AlexW00d said:
    " Yes. "
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Yes. "
    Yes.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#33  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think the Firepower pack (like $2) is probably the only non-free Item DLC worth getting, if only for that totally rad Laser Sighted Pistol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " Overlord is great, Lair is greater, dunno Kasumi, fuck weapon and outfit packs. "
    No, in the outfit pack Garrus at least changed out of his fucking broken armor. 
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InfamousBIG said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " Overlord is great, Lair is greater, dunno Kasumi, fuck weapon and outfit packs. "
    No, in the outfit pack Garrus at least changed out of his fucking broken armor.  "
    And lost his awesomeness by doing it.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Daveyo520
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " @InfamousBIG said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    No, in the outfit pack Garrus at least changed out of his fucking broken armor.  "
    And lost his awesomeness by doing it. "
    AHEM! Garrus is ALWAYS awesome!
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Wasara88 said:
    " @XII_Sniper: If you are truly interested about ME there isn't even a question...you should get it. It's one of the best missions in the whole game. It doesn't feel like your average run of the mill DLC missions like those in dragon age or the previous ME packs. I don't get it why almost every time people are on the fence on dlc they base their purchase by the lenght of it. I mean any more length to pinnacle station (ME) or Golems of Amgarrak (DA:O) wouldn't have made them any better.   If it was ridiculously short it would have been raged to death already in reviews and in the forums. It's hard to give a accurate estimate but it's definitely longer than your average recruitment missions. I would say 4-5 hours maybe.  Theres so much variety in LotSB and the story in it is amazing. If you have the 800ms points i really can't think of an better investment...ok super meat boy is awesome. "
    I honestly own everything worth owning at the 800msp price point, other than DLC. Basically length isn't a big deal, but I do want a good 5 hours out of it at least.. that's fine. My favorite DLC has been the GTA IV DLC, it's on par with the story of the full product, which is rare. It looks like this is the case with Shadow Broker as well. Plus.. I mean goddamn I really DO want to know more about the Shadow Broker. Been bugging me since like the first what... hour or two of ME1?  

Yeah I'ma definitely pick this one up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.