Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

New to ME2, which class is the best for first-timers?

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nickux

I just picked up a PS3 copy of Mass Effect 2 and am wondering which class is the best choice for people new to the series. I've heard a lot of people just play the Soldier class but I've also heard others criticize that choice because it makes the game, I don't know, I guess maybe too much like a shooter or something. Not sure really. Vanguard is a mix of combat and biotics so that seems appealing but my question is- does picking one class make the game more difficult than any other? Is Vanguard a good mix? Does going as a Soldier class make it easier hence it's so popular? Just would like some feedback or info on which class you picked for your first run through the game. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

none of the classes are any harder than any of the other ones on the easier difficulties, really.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Adept and Engineer I think are the only ones I'd maybe ward off against new players. Infiltrators a good one because you can just hang back snipin' fools in slow-mo. 

Plus Sentinel is a great pick since on the lower difficulties it can make you virtually unkillable.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I went Soldier on the first and main Shepard. It just felt most suiting and I got the chance to test all weapons and find favorites for new playthroughs on the other classes.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

Soldier

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Vanguard's good, but I recommend Adept (pure biotic) or Infiltrator (sniper/cloaking) above it, the close range shotgun gameplay with the Vanguard just isn't my thing.

Stay clear of Engineer tho, I'm not even sure why that class is in :P

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

Adept

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By golguin

Use Adept. You don't need to worry about precise aiming with firearms since biotic powers can be used while paused on the tech wheel.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I'd say Soldier, you get all the weapons and you can still use your team mate's abilities.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By gamefreak9

Soldier, no question, he can use all weapons and is not very vulnerable, def not engineer or adept, they die easy and killing takes strategy (unless ur on super easy), sentinel is also one since he can't die. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

Easily Solder, if it's your first way through. More variety of guns that way, and you get some fun powers. 

DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By DASH

Vanguard.  Reading this thread is the first time I've heard of anyone bothering with the other classes.  Honestly they seem pointless.  Vanguard is a mix between Biotic and Soldier.  You'll get to use some fun powers, but you'll still be proficient using a good range of guns and other abilities. 

Go with Vanguard, the game is pretty much built for this class, its the best way to get the most out of the game especially if this is your first time through, then you can try the other classes to spice things up on your second run if you do one.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By wrighteous86

I play as a Soldier, and easily beat the game without using any of the "talents".  If you just want to play the game as a shooter where you make plot decisions with a decent story, it's perfectly viable.

DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DASH

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM...Vanguard is the way to go.
    uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uberexplodey

Vanguard was a blast my first run through. All depends on your preferred style of play, though.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By cornbredx

Soldier is really the only one you need since you can just tell your partners to use biotics if you want to play that way.

It really depends on how you want to play. If your looking for easiest, sentinel or soldier is generally ideal first time through.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy

Adept is by far the funnest. Soldier makes the game just like any old third person shooter. Infiltrator adds a nice little flavoring of tech and stealth. Vanguard is all about being up close. I haven't played an Engineer or Sentinel yet though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yummylee
    @xyzygy said:
    " Adept is by far the funnest. Soldier makes the game just like any old third person shooter. Infiltrator adds a nice little flavoring of tech and stealth. Vanguard is all about being up close. I haven't played an Engineer or Sentinel yet though. "
    Sentinel's a great class for Insanity runs and is reliable on its own for having both Warp and Overload at your disposal. Engineer's pretty sucky, though, and its combat drone easily makes for the worst of the six unique skills. >.>.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Soldier's probably the one that makes the game the easiest, but I think Vanguard makes the experience the most dynamic. The Vanguard's charge is not only a really cool looking attack, but it allows the action to keep moving at a steady clip, whereas the other classes are pretty much relegated to hiding behind cover until they've killed all the enemies in the area.  

I'd say Vanguard. 

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By tourgen

All the classes are fun and do pretty well on normal difficulty.  I haven't played engineer much though.  I'd say Sentinel is a great first choice.  Great powers, pretty tough, good weapons.  If you go Vanguard get ready for a wild ride.  max the charge ability and your ammos.  The other biotic abilities work well in Normal mode but are much less useful on the harder difficulties.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By LackingSaint

First time go with Soldier, it's a good chance to test out all the weapons and get to grips with the combat system, then on later playthroughs you can decide what you liked doing as a Soldier and expand on it by picking a suitable class.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Vanguard is great fun to play as you basically turn yourself into a missile and smash enemies everywhere. However it makes the endgame+ stuff very difficult as enemies kill you so quickly and up close and personal is the last place you want to be. If you intend to play through on a harder difficulty then I would suggest soldier or adept.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vaile
    @Abyssfull said:
    "Infiltrators a good one because you can just hang back snipin' fools in slow-mo."
    Which Infiltrator power slows time?
    Avatar image for hairytoeknuckles
    HairyToeKnuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By HairyToeKnuckles

Go Vanguard and NEVER look back! WHOOSH! BLAM! NEXT!

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By theguy
    @TaliciaDragonsong: No way my main play through was an engineer and it was awesome! The elemental powers are great and the bot is handy. Good fun tactical mix of shooting and powers.  

I'd say stay clear of soldier, I'm sure it's fun and all but it's so generic.
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theguy: 
    Really? I never found a real use for the Engineer.
    Sure the bot was alright but I felt the Engineer lacked real power on its own, how did you play it? What weapons/skills did you favor? 
    Been meaning to play through as one but I can't find its usability.
    theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By theguy
    @TaliciaDragonsong: Hmmmm thinking back I can't really remember, I think I favoured an assault rifle with a pistol and used incinerate, freeze and warp a lot. Warp shields, incinerate armor, freeze flesh.... at least I think thats how it worked.
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By nick_verissimo

Adept, Sentinel or Solider are the way to go.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theguy: 
    I can kinda do that with my Infiltrator I think.
    Which brings me to my original point, the bot doesn't really impress me as a class skill. :/
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yummylee
    @Vaile said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    "Infiltrators a good one because you can just hang back snipin' fools in slow-mo."
    Which Infiltrator power slows time? "
    It's not a power, exactly. Whenever an Infiltrator aims through their sniper scope, time slows down for a few seconds.
    theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By theguy
    @TaliciaDragonsong: Its pretty handy for distracting guys and breaking them out of cover. I upgraded it so it would explode on command basically making it a homing bomb doing massive damage.
    Echofoxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Echofoxz

I played as Vanguard my first time through, and I kind of regret it at the beginning, because it's a rush-heavy class with Charge and close-range weapons.

I would recommend Soldier, because it's probably best well-rounded. It's easier to learn other biotic powers than get different ranges of weapons. For the most part, the kinds of weapons you get at the beginning of the game stays with you, although there is an exception. But you have a bit more choice in biotic powers. 

I regret my choice at the beginning because I wanted a longer range weapon that just shotguns and pistols, I would say it depends on how you want to play, but it kind of evens out at towards the end of the game.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theguy: 
    The bomb sounds like a good move but then the rest of the engineer doesn't :/

I mean, why would I play one if I can Adept or Vanguard it up?
    Maybe if you like pain an Insanity Engineer run is fun? xD

Probably it just ain't my class, thanks for the insight anyway!
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By imsh_pl

I think the classes are fairly balanced. I managed to beat the game on hard on my 1st playthrough with vanguard with not many difficulties.

You're definetely not gonna have problems in the game just because of choosing a wrong class, I assure you.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vaile
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @Vaile said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    Which Infiltrator power slows time? "
    It's not a power, exactly. Whenever an Infiltrator aims through their sniper scope, time slows down for a few seconds. "
    Huh, nifty, I never noticed that.
    ILostR2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ILostR2

I'd say Soldier because you get use of all guns and you can learn teammate powers to try other classes for another run through.

are you looking for friends to play co-op and multiplayer with then come check out www.xboxlivehq.com. we are a community based website, for gamers by gamers. so close that book, clear out of that space, and make your way over to our place at www.xboxlivehq.com. 

Soap_of_Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Soap_of_Death

Soldier is the most 'user friendly' class IMO but feel free to use whatever class you want. You can always tone down the difficulty setting if you're struggling too much.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mordukai

Frankly there is no right or wrong. Go with what's appealing to you. I really have no problem with any class save that I find the Soldier class to be the most boring one. You really don't get a lot of variety with that class. Done a play through of it on lost it on the 15th hour mark because of boredom. It felt like Gears of War with dialogue trees. 

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By PerryVandell

I used adept when I was going through my insanity run in Mass Effect 2. Singularity save my life on many occasions and I highly recommend it no matter the difficulty level. Soldier is also alright, although it doesn't have some of the same perks it had in Mass Effect 1. I hear sentinel is also a pretty useful class. The only one I would stay away from if playing on the higher difficulties is Vanguard, as you are only effective in combat when you're up close and personal with enemies. Playing like that on insanity will only bring you pain.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GioVANNI

Probably soldier.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By haggis

I've found that on the easy and normal difficulties, it doesn't matter. A friend of mine beat the game on normal playing a Vanguard and never using biotic charge. He didn't even know what it was. And he used an SMG, not the shotgun. He had no idea what he was doing, but in the end it didn't matter. So, go figure. The game is pretty forgiving at that level no matter what class you are and what weapons you choose.

nacnud88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By nacnud88

I would say soldier and sentinel.  The soldier is able to drop fools quickly before they can flank you and their slow down ability is fun.  Sentinel lacks ranged weapons but makes up for it with its abilities and the sentinel-exclusive tech armour is one of the best abilities in the game.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blueaniman93

they're all equally friendly, just play on normal 
    if you plan to go higher than normal, do not choose vanguard 
    the most fun classes are vanguard and adept 
    but i love sentinel because it is the most useful
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MeierTheRed

Vanguard or Soldier

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By OmegaChosen

For a first timer, I'd go Soldier, if only because it's (arguably) the easiest class to play. On anything lower than Hardcore they all do fine but with Soldier you don't have to mess around with any other abilities besides Rush.

Personally though, I have the most fun playing as a Vanguard. On Hardcore and above, the learning curve on Vanguard is a little steep and you'll probably end up dying a few times if you recklessly Charge but I find it rather hard to go to the other classes type of gameplay after playing with my Vanguard for so long.

It also makes Shepard seem like a god, jumping around the field like that.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Daveyo520

Soldiers are nice.

Duminakan89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By Duminakan89

Just as everyone else has suggested the soldier class seems to be the easiest to play with especially in the higher difficulties.  I myself had a lot of fun playing as a Sentinel; when you play as a Soldier you'll have more weapons than you'll care to use.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

INFILTRATOR IS THE WAY TO GO

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By p_p_o_d

soldier FTW. 

but first I played 4 hours as vanguard but I was just telling my team when to use there biotics while I was just shooting stuff so I restarted as a soldier.

but dont play on normal.   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.