Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Not An RPG Fan

Callum_NCFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Callum_NCFC

Imagine a world, in that world is a gamer, a gamer that for the life of him can not finish and RPG. That gamer is me. Let me start at the beginning, everyday I keep an eye on the Frugal Gaming twitter feed waiting for a bargain that takes my fancy. They posted news that the fan favourite Mass Effect 2 was just £9.98 at Curry's while stocks last. Despite this being a absolute steel for most gamers, it was still quite a difficult decision whether to risk wasting 10 pounds on yet another role playing game I dislike and put down after 4 or 5 hours. I played numerous RPG games this generation alone ranging from the highly acclaimed Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fable 2 and Fallout 3 to the not so highly acclaimed like Infinite Undiscovery (I still don't understand the title of that game). As of now I'm still yet to finish one.

It could just be the simple concept of RPG's that doesn't appeal to me, I'm quite partial to a more linear game, having the freedom to almost do what you like is slightly scary, I have know idea where to start or what to do next. Having such big worlds to explore, or even planets in terms of Mass Effect, gives me the 'what do I do now' feeling. I've sunk hours into some RPG's especially Oblivion and Fallout 3 but just when I think I'm getting somewhere I hit a stumbling block and don't know what to do next then consequently give up.

Well after the consideration I did pick it up, but only under the promise that no matter what, I will finally finish an RPG! Even if I have to sink to the lows of guides on the internet or YouTube videos, I will see them credits roll. So I bought it home today and started it perhaps 3 hours ago. I can't believe I'm writing this, but I'm enjoying it! The first game was really entertaining at the start and just like It's sequel, I enjoyed the start, but then I became stuck on a level that basically consisted of sand dunes and you scouring the surface in a buggy. Hopefully though, no such level will reappear. The main characteristics that really appeal to me in Mass Effect 2 are the storyline, which has started off just great, the witty one liners in the dialogue and the sexy females, Ashley in the first and now the lovely Miranda the second.

So there you have it, there's no hiding now, I have to finish it, and to be truthful I really want to, there's a satisfaction in finishing games, something you feel when you see the final cut-scene, or find out why that plot twist happened. Not finishing an RPG is a tick missing off the list, being in it for the long haul and feeling the satisfaction is lacking and hopefully it's only an amount of time before that happens. I'll keep you posted on how the adventure into the Lazarus project goes!

Callum_NCFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Callum_NCFC

Imagine a world, in that world is a gamer, a gamer that for the life of him can not finish and RPG. That gamer is me. Let me start at the beginning, everyday I keep an eye on the Frugal Gaming twitter feed waiting for a bargain that takes my fancy. They posted news that the fan favourite Mass Effect 2 was just £9.98 at Curry's while stocks last. Despite this being a absolute steel for most gamers, it was still quite a difficult decision whether to risk wasting 10 pounds on yet another role playing game I dislike and put down after 4 or 5 hours. I played numerous RPG games this generation alone ranging from the highly acclaimed Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fable 2 and Fallout 3 to the not so highly acclaimed like Infinite Undiscovery (I still don't understand the title of that game). As of now I'm still yet to finish one.

It could just be the simple concept of RPG's that doesn't appeal to me, I'm quite partial to a more linear game, having the freedom to almost do what you like is slightly scary, I have know idea where to start or what to do next. Having such big worlds to explore, or even planets in terms of Mass Effect, gives me the 'what do I do now' feeling. I've sunk hours into some RPG's especially Oblivion and Fallout 3 but just when I think I'm getting somewhere I hit a stumbling block and don't know what to do next then consequently give up.

Well after the consideration I did pick it up, but only under the promise that no matter what, I will finally finish an RPG! Even if I have to sink to the lows of guides on the internet or YouTube videos, I will see them credits roll. So I bought it home today and started it perhaps 3 hours ago. I can't believe I'm writing this, but I'm enjoying it! The first game was really entertaining at the start and just like It's sequel, I enjoyed the start, but then I became stuck on a level that basically consisted of sand dunes and you scouring the surface in a buggy. Hopefully though, no such level will reappear. The main characteristics that really appeal to me in Mass Effect 2 are the storyline, which has started off just great, the witty one liners in the dialogue and the sexy females, Ashley in the first and now the lovely Miranda the second.

So there you have it, there's no hiding now, I have to finish it, and to be truthful I really want to, there's a satisfaction in finishing games, something you feel when you see the final cut-scene, or find out why that plot twist happened. Not finishing an RPG is a tick missing off the list, being in it for the long haul and feeling the satisfaction is lacking and hopefully it's only an amount of time before that happens. I'll keep you posted on how the adventure into the Lazarus project goes!

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Hennet_sim

You will enjoy Mass Effect 2 its a very awesome game.

Callum_NCFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Callum_NCFC

I think it maybe actually converting me. I'm enjoying it so much.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SpiralStairs

Mass Effect 2 isn't really an RPG, more like an Action game with RPG elements.

Callum_NCFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Callum_NCFC

I think it's a good introduction to RPGs for me. It's like a easy first step.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

You seem to be playing only a specific subset of RPGs namely the action type. (not implying that this is a bad thing, just an observation)
    I also highly suggest also trying out the more traditional style of RPGs like Dragon Age, Witcher are the most recent ones that come to mind, to see if they appeal.
    There is a whole plethora of very good older RPGs but you would need a PC for them and usually some tweaking to run older games, but worth looking into as those are the unparalleled classics that are simply not made anymore (Baldurs Gate series, Planescape, Arcanum, Fallout 1,2, Never Winter Nights series)

Good luck with finishing ME2

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By nvmfst
    @SpiralStairs said:
    " Mass Effect 2 isn't really an RPG, more like an Action game with RPG elements. "
    Yeah, it's an RPG as much as Borderlands and Fallout 3 are.
    Callum_NCFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Callum_NCFC
    @Tennmuerti: Thanks for the suggestions, I've always thought of Dragon Age as a hardcore RPG that only the fanatics play. I've thought about picking it up a couple of times but after I've finished ME2 I'll be sure to pick it up and give it a try.
    nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By nvmfst
    @Callum_NCFC said:
    " @Tennmuerti: Thanks for the suggestions, I've always thought of Dragon Age as a hardcore RPG that only the fanatics play. I've thought about picking it up a couple of times but after I've finished ME2 I'll be sure to pick it up and give it a try. "
    Dragon Age is a step in the right direction if you are looking to get into RPGs, but by no means is it a "hardcore" RPG. I also suggest looking into Black Isle/Bioware's back catalog if you want to see an example of some more RPGs. Oh, and maybe Mount and Blade-- that's pretty hardcore.
    Callum_NCFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Callum_NCFC
    @Einherjan said:
    " @Callum_NCFC said:
    " @Tennmuerti: Thanks for the suggestions, I've always thought of Dragon Age as a hardcore RPG that only the fanatics play. I've thought about picking it up a couple of times but after I've finished ME2 I'll be sure to pick it up and give it a try. "
    Dragon Age is a step in the right direction if you are looking to get into RPGs, but by no means is it a "hardcore" RPG. I also suggest looking into Black Isle/Bioware's back catalog if you want to see an example of some more RPGs. Oh, and maybe Mount and Blade-- that's pretty hardcore. "

Ah OK, at this rate It's only a matter of time before I finish ME2 - as soon as I as I do I'll pick it up, probably second hand. Are there any advantages to picking it up new, like the cerberus network?
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By endaround

Dragon Age?  Yeah Shale is awesome.

Callum_NCFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Callum_NCFC

Yep, cool. I'll have a look around see where i can pick up a new copy, cheap then. Thanks.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpiralStairs

You might like games like Deus Ex or System Shock 2. I don't know if you've played them or not, but you should give them a try if you haven't.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheJohn

@Callum_NCFC:  
    I bought Dragon Age on sale, and saved many moneys. There was a card inside that told me that I could help myself to some free DLC (among them Shale), but the fine print on the card claimed that it was expired. I was, however, able to download it for free without hassle.
    Dragon Age is the first RPG in ages that I've been able to finish in one "sitting" (as in: not playing any other games until I finished it), and I - like you - get bored with games that are to open. So you should definitely check it out

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By danielkempster
    @Callum_NCFC: Thanks for inadvertently directing me towards Frugal Gaming. I'm always on the lookout for decent deals when it comes to buying games, so hopefully this will keep me in the loop a little more. Thanks, duder! Oh, and here's hoping your time with Mass Effect 2 is time well spent. I've just finished playing through the first game and absolutely loved it. I've picked up a copy of ME2 (funnily enough through that very promotion on Currys' website that you mentioned), but I'm going to give it a while before I start it up, for fear of getting burned out on the series' mechanics.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@Callum_NCFC said:
    "It could just be the simple concept of RPG's that doesn't appeal to me, I'm quite partial to a more linear game, having the freedom to almost do what you like is slightly scary,"

Traditional CRPG's (like Dragon Age) are actually relatively linear. There might be several different paths that you can take, but rpgs are not necessarily "open world" type games.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    @SpiralStairs said:
    " Mass Effect 2 isn't really an RPG, more like an Action game with RPG elements. "
    TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheJohn
    @dankempster: I think it's a good idea to wait a while between the two ME games. I jumped straight into the sequel after absolutely loving the first one, and it was a major disappointment. I believe that if I had waited a little while, I'd have enjoyed it more.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By time allen
    @SpiralStairs said:

of course it's an rpg rofl. you have a say in pretty much all of the shit that happens in that game. you create a character, you live out that character. idk how you personally define role-playing but that seems to be pretty close to the mark.

but WHATEVER that game is essentially a masterpiece so go and buy it, original poster.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @Toms115 said:
    " @SpiralStairs said:

of course it's an rpg rofl. you have a say in pretty much all of the shit that happens in that game. you create a character, you live out that character. idk how you personally define role-playing but that seems to be pretty close to the mark.

but WHATEVER that game is essentially a masterpiece so go and buy it, original poster. "
    I meant it wasn't an RPG in the traditional sense like Dragon Age or Baldur's Gate II. Mass Effect 2 is a ton more accessible and probably appeals to a wider audience.
    azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By azrailx

as already said mass effect 2 minus the strong focus on story is not an rpg

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By danhimself

one of things that has disappointed me the most about Mass Effect 2 is that they got rid of a lot of the rpg elements of the first game and turned it into more of a shooter

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh snap!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ajamafalous

Well that's easy enough, because ME2 isn't an RPG.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#27  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @sear:  Isn't that all Role Playing interaction though? No video game can emulate the infinite choice and DM adaptability of Pen and Paper games. You just seem hung up on the fact that the choice is illusionary. Of course it is. No developer could ever make choice wholly effect the game in a meaningful way without wasting a bunch of time and effort on something only a few people are going to see. If you can show me any game that actually does that, you win. Or maybe you just don't like Western RPGs?

In any case, the choices are at least presented far better than they were in something like Baldur's Gate, where your choices have no impact whatsoever, and were transparently good and evil.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By time allen
    @sear said:

" @Toms115 said:

" @SpiralStairs said:

but WHATEVER that game is essentially a masterpiece so go and buy it, original poster. "
    Mass Effect 2 is not "essentially a masterpiece".  It is a mechanically sound and graphically gorgeous third-person shooter with non-combat segments.  The player does not "create a character"; rather, the player choses the appearance of a predefined character and then proceeds to navigate a wholly linear sequence of events (I refrain to use the word "storyline") while making wholly aesthetic decisions along the way which have absolutely no long-term consequences.  Any decisions imported from the first Mass Effect are similarly superficial.  Character classes play nearly identically save for a few powers unique to one or two of them, and leveling up comes down to choosing which (mostly unnecessary) skills to increase first.  Player decisions are highly limited, with at best two or three options for some situations; most of the time you merely choose the tone of your voice, which does nothing except impact your purely cosmetic good/evil slider. The consequences of these aforementioned decisions are minuscule, and do not fundamentally change the world in any significant way.  Choice of character does not significantly alter the experience the player has, nor does it have any major impact upon gameplay. "

would you like to take the time to thank the academy, or are you just going to skip that part?

after wading through all of the bullshit, i found this snippet to be the most interesting, to me at least.

" Choice of character does not significantly alter the experience the player has, nor does it have any major impact upon gameplay. "

and why would it? why would creating your character have any sort of inherent effect on gameplay and its related elements? it is the exact wording of your post that leads me to the conclusion that you are placing too much of your attention on areas where not all of it need be. in a piece of narrative driven television or film, do you treasure its ability to bring forth emotion, believability in character and plot, or do you treasure the fidelity of the cameras? in a piece of narrative driven written word, do you treasure those same things - emotion, believability in character and plot - or do you treasure how many pages there are? similarly, these things (in the context of video games, of course) should be applied to narrative driven video games. that's not to say that mass effect is at all broken on a fundamental gameplay level, it's pretty well done, but it's just not where the gold lies; it's in the narrative. that's also not to say that these things aren't desirable, you know, fidelity of camera work, length of piece of fiction, and well done gameplay elements etc. it's even more desirable in video games as you have to control what happens on-screen, which is not really the case for tv/film or literature, but when you misplace too much of your attention on not-as-important areas and less of it on thematic levels, you really need to stop what you're doing and re-asses your critique abilities.

is mass effect 2 essentially a masterpiece on a gameplay level? i don't really give a shit, but it's damn near perfect as bringer of narrative.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Toms115: 
    You kind of missed the point of what Sear is saying.
    He was never arguing with you if ME2 is good or not.
    Merely stating that from the common conception of the western RPG, ME2 is not such for many people. The emphasis on "essentially a masterpiece" was from the way I read it referring to the genre level quality rather then the overall quality of the game.
    As for game play, the common understanding is that in an RPG the choice of character does indeed change the gameplay experience, it can fundamentaly change the way you play the game. From your stats/class affecting your dialogue options and how people treat you to changing the way you go about facing your enemies: with wit and a sweet tongue or do you simply kill everything that stands in your way or simply try to avoid confrontation as much as possible by sneaking or stealing. These are just the very basic examples.
    Also what you precieve as the "not-as-important" areas of the game can in fact be the most important areas to other people.
    If you don't understand the point some one is making does not make it automatically bullshit.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By time allen
    @Tennmuerti:
    i didn't miss the point. he disagreed with me stating it was "essentially a masterpiece", and i explained why i thought he was wrong. simple.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By sagesebas
    @Callum_NCFC: Don't be afraid to use a walk through they are all over the internet, and can help alot, I've been using it extensively on Fallout 3, also mass effect is an rpg but not as much of an rpg as say oblivion or fallout 3 or even the first mass effect.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @sear:  Good post, I found it hard to really get into Mass Effect 2. The charactes, story, etc. It's a game that takes itself way too seriously, and suffers from it.

RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RaceKickfist

good on you, OP. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Callum_NCFC said:
    " I think it maybe actually converting me. I'm enjoying it so much. "
    You would have enjoyed it even more had you played and finished the first one.
    azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By azrailx

3rd person action cover game does not equal an rpg 
    hell games like gow almost hve more weapon options...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.