Oh the irony ,,, (endgame spoilers)

#1 Edited by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -

So I just finished my first run of ME2 weeee!
As the credits started rolling I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at the last boss fight.
While it might have been a bit lame as boss fights go there was a very interesting thing it made me think about.

You are a person that has been basically turned into a more sophisticated version of Robocop. Shepard's body has not only been cyberneticaly fixed and enhanced but  throughout the course of the game you can research upgrades to even further improve yourself with implants and other things. And here you are staring at the unfinished new reaper who is basically a big Terminator a synthetic/organic being. To add to the irony factor it is hinted multiple times that part of the reason for them taking note of humanity is because of Shepard inflaming their interest; which in turn lead to them starting to use humans for the uniqueness.

Shepard and the reaper in progress share almost as much as the Terminator vs. Robocop fantasy.
In both cased you are both a synthetic/organic hybrid (a cyborg if you want to use a crude term) both a mix of man and machine, sure the exact mix varies but the difference is irrelevant.
However just like our old favorites R&T there is a fundamental difference: the mind. The reaper is a predominantly machine mind (as revealed by conversion with Legion saying there are likely many programs running) while Shepard still retains his biological human mind, just like R&T.

This to me was doubly funny.
First is just how close and how similar you are to the reaper in everything but mind.
Second is how much of a parallel you can draw to old favorites like Robocop and Terminator.

It's ON now bitches!

Like one cartoon character once said: "If irony was made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now." 
#2 Posted by Undeadpool (4948 posts) -

Just beat the game myself, and hadn't really thought of that...good observation. It IS kind of a parallel.

#3 Posted by SlowHands (347 posts) -

I wonder if that was intentional.  Surely the people at Bioware realised this at some point.

#4 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

They use human form, because they form the reaper they are creating by whichever organism they liquify... which in this case was humans :) According to EDI, anyways. And they use humans because the gene pool is special compared to the other species' gene pools. But nice observation nevertheless.

#5 Posted by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -
@foggel said:
" They use human form, because they form the reaper they are creating by whichever organism they liquify... which in this case was humans :) According to EDI, anyways. And they use humans because the gene pool is special compared to the other species' gene pools. But nice observation nevertheless. "
I'm well aware of that, however their interest in humans (instead of other current race) was initiated partly by Shepard, as in they became curious because of Shepard and continued because of the uniqueness of humanity's gene pool. Just came out wrong.
This is not the point anyway :) But thanks I'll edit it a bit.
#6 Posted by DTKT (115 posts) -

Shepard isnt really human anymore. But Yeah, its ironic that the savior of the Galaxy has probably more in common with the Reapers themselves than with a regular human.
#7 Posted by Jeffsekai (7034 posts) -

Mind = Blown

#8 Posted by Nictel (2422 posts) -

If they did this on purpose and were aware of it. AWESOME.

#9 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Do we know how many robotic enhancements that Shephard has? I know he has some metal in his spine, but I'm not sure where else.

#10 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@Napalm: well they basically give Shepard the appropriate upgrades depending on what class you choose so I'd say his robotic enhancements are pretty extensive.
#11 Posted by MikeFightNight (1110 posts) -

I dunno what you guys are talking about, but my female Shepard went under the knife to remove any apperance of cybernetics. So if she doesn't say anything no one will know, and if anyone asks her, she will kill them.  She's a Renegade like that;) 

#12 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -
@DTKT said:
" Shepard isnt really human anymore. But Yeah, its ironic that the savior of the Galaxy has probably more in common with the Reapers themselves than with a regular human. "
I'd argue that isn't quite true. He still very much human. His personality (story wise) is still the same as it was before he died. That was one of the main requirements, Cerberus couldn't change him in that way. He's still (or she) is Shepard. Sure he has some cybernetics or modifications but its nothing like the reapers.
#13 Posted by boj4ngles (287 posts) -
@Maxszy said:
" @DTKT said:
" Shepard isnt really human anymore. But Yeah, its ironic that the savior of the Galaxy has probably more in common with the Reapers themselves than with a regular human. "
I'd argue that isn't quite true. He still very much human. His personality (story wise) is still the same as it was before he died. That was one of the main requirements, Cerberus couldn't change him in that way. He's still (or she) is Shepard. Sure he has some cybernetics or modifications but its nothing like the reapers. "
     I agree with Maxszy.  Bioware definitely set up groundwork for the question of whether Shepard was human or not, and the notion of technology taking over and fundamentally changing a life form is nothing new.  However they didn't really follow up.  There is the initial Cerberus project, and your doctor mentions the medical procedures that you can undertake to change your image, and that is it.
     There are obviously some aesthetic similarities with the human reaper and terminators, but underneath that the differences between the "birth" process of Sheppard and the Reaper are so different as to make them unrelatable.  The Reaper is the product of millions of humans and unknown technology, the ramifications of which are not understood.  Sheppard is essentially a human with mechanical enhancements.
     As to Tennmuerti's original point; hunches and comparisons are great but Bioware still didn't provide enough evidence to really form a link between Sheppard and the Reapers, beyond mutual interest among the two.
#14 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

now this is just a big what if, but "what if" Cerberus used reaper tech to bring Shepard back. Anderson said they didn't find a lot of soverin, maybe Cerberus took it to build shepard.

#15 Posted by HistoryInRust (6323 posts) -

All I'm going to say: That Human-Reaper totally looked like a Terminator.

#16 Posted by BlueNavy (6 posts) -

I know this threads over 2 years old, but is their a battle forum on this website?

#17 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

^Why the fuck would you ask that question here? Secondly why didn't you just make a thread asking the question? Third I don't believe so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.