Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Poll: What class did you use in Mass Effect 2? (First Play through)

• 78 results
    Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Brontes_Muse
    Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Brontes_Muse

I played as a vangaurd,  I thought the running charge was cool.  What did you like about your character?  Or why did you choose that class?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By ImperiousRix

I played Vanguard in the first game, but in this one I went with Sentinel.  I like the fact that I can just soak up the damage and have a nice combination of tech and biotic powers.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Infiltrator... they're awesome. Up to 2.5 seconds of slowdown with the sniper focus (depending on what evolution you choose) and the ability to cloak. Cloaking is awesome because ti recharges fast and adds a damage bonus, so good Infiltrators need to constantly cloak, then snipe, then cloak, then snip, etc. It will give maximum damage, especially with Assassination Cloak. 

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Mrnitropb
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343

Adept. I love blobbing bubbles.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By handlas

Soldier, and I'm glad I did.  Got a assault rifle that kicks ass.  Slow down time and just unload on them.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By donchipotle

Vanguard. SMG, Shotgun, Pistol, Sniper Rifle, and some biotics and the nasty charge? I empty rooms quick.

Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Brontes_Muse
    @xyzygy said:
    " Infiltrator... they're awesome. Up to 2.5 seconds of slowdown with the sniper focus (depending on what evolution you choose) and the ability to cloak. Cloaking is awesome because ti recharges fast and adds a damage bonus, so good Infiltrators need to constantly cloak, then snipe, then cloak, then snip, etc. It will give maximum damage, especially with Assassination Cloak.  "
    Wow infiltrators sound pretty cool.  I didn't know that they could do all that. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
    @Brontes_Muse said:

" @xyzygy said:

" Infiltrator... they're awesome. Up to 2.5 seconds of slowdown with the sniper focus (depending on what evolution you choose) and the ability to cloak. Cloaking is awesome because ti recharges fast and adds a damage bonus, so good Infiltrators need to constantly cloak, then snipe, then cloak, then snip, etc. It will give maximum damage, especially with Assassination Cloak.  "
    Wow infiltrators sound pretty cool.  I didn't know that they could do all that.  "
    The reason I stuck with it was because my ME1 character that I imported was an Infiltrator, but after playing with him they really made Infiltrators great classes. Especially when you find the Widow Sniper. THE POWER! 

I'm thinking I might go Engineer next time though - the Combat Drones are awesome, I always find myself using the one from a certain squad mate.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB

I want to switch over to an Engineer when I get the game. I played through the first one without using any real tactic beyond take cover, wait for an opening, and run in with a shotgun. This time, I want to do things differently.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Milkman

Soldier, like a real man. 

What's that? I can use the force? Fuck that. Hand me that rocket launcher.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoelTGM

Soldier because I figured it's be a good all around class.  Good with guns and a good amount of health.

Th3_Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Th3_Batman

Soldier.for a few reasons  :
    1. I played my paragon in Mass effect 1 as a soldier and i enjoyed having the ability to change my weapons
    2. The soldier is the best fit as the commander. I think commander Shepard is a natural soldier and suppose to be better than any biotic. I think when he talks to the Turian General in ME1 for the consort he is a Soldier.
    3. In ME2 their is no other soldier besides you. Everybody has the biotic or the tech powers but nobody has the guns you have. 
    4.adrenaline an concusion shot are a deadly duo and good for sniping.  
    5. All the ammo available in my opinion a better power house against multiple enemies than the biotic powers do.
    -This is my opinion. This is the second time im playing as a Soldier for a renegade. I was going to play as vangaurd but i figure since im playing insanity the second time to have my level and weapons already in the begining alot better chances of survival than starting at the begining.

Tynian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tynian
    @Th3_Batman said:
     3. In ME2 their is no other soldier besides you. Everybody has the biotic or the tech powers but nobody has the guns you have.  

I think that Grunt is a soldier
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Snail

I still haven't played it, to be honest, but I'll certainly play as a soldier.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Darkstar614

Yeah what? there are numerous Soldier types on your team. Grunt is the best example. I would consider Garrus one too. Anyone with a shotgun or Assault rifle basically...

I loved my Sentinel, I highly recommend that class for anyone playing. I seem to have a weird fascination for Warp as well, something about the audio from that ability is really awesome.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By Cirdain

Didn't play Mass Effect 2
      5.8%

you should be shot
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By Atlas

I went female Infiltrator, which is eerily similar to playing as Lilith in Borderlands, which is a good thing. Extremely fun class to play as.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Capum15

Still running my imported Adept. Thinking of Vanguard or Infiltrator next.

RedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RedMage

Soldier
    I love using weapons

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

I started as a vanguard, but i then decide to start again with a different ME1 save file. Wanting to keep with my character progression, I kept the same class again. Infiltrator this time around and i'm fakin lovin it. Sniper rifles are so devishly satisfying to shoot.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Semition

Infiltrator. The slow-mo when scoping feels really awesome, especially since all the sound around you slows down.

I'm surprised that so many people picked soldier.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hatking

Engineer.  I love hacking the enemies and letting them kill each other.  If I bring Legion and Tali with I can end up with an eight character team at certain points.  The three of us, two drones and three hacked enemies.  Also hacking the giant security robots is hilarious. 
    LeBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LeBart
    @Semition said:
    " I'm surprised that so many people picked soldier. "
    Same here. The other classes are way more fun. I went for Infiltrator. Cloak + slowmo = awesomeness ! 
    Vanguard is pretty good too.
    sandal_hat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sandal_hat

Yeah Vanguard on the first play through. Didn't like it at first but as my biotics started to open up I really dug that class. Now I am playing through using a sentinel on hardcore(slowly working up to insanity) and the special armor ability is pretty nifty, also second play through having the extra squad ability of slam adds to the fun.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#27  Edited By citizenkane

Soldier for me.  I always play the Soldier/Warrior in RPGs.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Whisperkill

Adept, it's fun but I want to play as a soldier next.

MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By MushroomSamba

I went with the Adept, simply because it's showcase trailer won me over. I literally go through a fair share of giant battles without firing off a shot, and it's fun to watch enemies sprawl helplessly in the air before launching them away with a "throw". Great stuff.

I might go with Sentinel next. Having both tech and bio powers would be a real treat, plus the super defense.

PS: Oh, and I can't tell you what a blessing "throw" was during the husk levels. 1 hit kill + quick recharge = goodbye zombie horde.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Serker

played as an engineer in the first game, played as an engineer in the second game.

I miss spamming damping, overload, and sabotage all at once, though... I really liked fucking up the frame rate.

*Having Legion's and Tali's and your combat drones on screen at once is... awesome.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By frankxiv

adept, same as ME1. none of the powers are as good as they were in 1 imo, but i guess the shooting around cover part is kinda neat.

i'm thinking of doing soldier next cause it feels like that's how they want you to play the game. was disappointed there's not even armor classes anymore, light armors looked way better to me

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cornman89

Vanguard.

Charge might be the most satisfying thing in a video game ever. Bioware really did a great job differentiating the classes this time around. Doing an Infiltrator right now and it feels like I'm playing a completely different game.

@MushroomSamba said:

" I went with the Adept, simply because it's showcase trailer won me over. I literally go through a fair share of giant battles without firing off a shot, and it's fun to watch enemies sprawl helplessly in the air before launching them away with a "throw". Great stuff.  I might go with Sentinel next. Having both tech and bio powers would be a real treat, plus the super defense.  PS: Oh, and I can't tell you what a blessing "throw" was during the husk levels. 1 hit kill + quick recharge = goodbye zombie horde. "

I didn't believe them when they said you can fight without firing a shot, but that sounds really cool. Maybe I'll do adept next.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Demyx

I chose Sentinel cause the tech armor is pretty awesome. On my second playthrough I got the geth shield thing as another power.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
    @Milkman said:
    "Soldier, like a real man.   What's that? I can use the force? Fuck that. Hand me that rocket launcher. "

This.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6091fd83bf847
    deactivated-6091fd83bf847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Serker: I played engineer too.  And I gotta agree with you about taking Legion and Tali along.  It made those Geth and mech oriented missions ridiculously easy.  

Anyway, I chose sniper rifles and area reave as my extra abilities.  By the end I retrained to totally ignore Cryo Blast and AI Hacking so my other powers could be maxed out.  Being able to quickly take down any defenses myself made party selection a matter of taste more than strategy since just about any character can take out enemies with only health to worry about.  Super short recharge time, too, pretty much made my engineer the "mage" of the party.  Good times.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Andorski

Vanguard.  Hard class to play, but extremely satisfying.  Charging right in front of the enemy with a shotgun sends a clear message: Do not fuck with Shepard.

Also... charging an enemy and then constantly meleeing them until they die is funny.

Timolez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Timolez

I played ME1 as the Vanguard, then the Adept.  In ME2 i picked Sentinel on a whim and really enjoyed it. The mix of biotic and tech powers was deadly, and allowed me to be very versatile.  Also Tech Armour is badass and overpowered.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By frankxiv
    @Cornman89 said:
      @MushroomSamba said:

" I went with the Adept, simply because it's showcase trailer won me over. I literally go through a fair share of giant battles without firing off a shot, and it's fun to watch enemies sprawl helplessly in the air before launching them away with a "throw". Great stuff.  I might go with Sentinel next. Having both tech and bio powers would be a real treat, plus the super defense.  PS: Oh, and I can't tell you what a blessing "throw" was during the husk levels. 1 hit kill + quick recharge = goodbye zombie horde. "

I didn't believe them when they said you can fight without firing a shot, but that sounds really cool. Maybe I'll do adept next. "
    you personally firing a shot, possible. your squad not firing a shot, it would take a while.
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By innacces14

Infiltrator. Love sniping in any game so for ME1 to have a class that plays to it's strengths? Why the hell not? Haha. Cloaking device in ME2? Thanks, haha.

I want to play as a Renegade female Shepard with some form of biotic capabilities though. Haven't touched biotics aside from telling squad mates to do so.

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By theduke

soldier so i could try out all the weapons and then i plan on playing through as an adept
    did the same with Mass Effect

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Luccaface said:
    " @Serker: I played engineer too.  And I gotta agree with you about taking Legion and Tali along.  It made those Geth and mech oriented missions ridiculously easy.    Anyway, I chose sniper rifles and area reave as my extra abilities.  By the end I retrained to totally ignore Cryo Blast and AI Hacking so my other powers could be maxed out.  Being able to quickly take down any defenses myself made party selection a matter of taste more than strategy since just about any character can take out enemies with only health to worry about.  Super short recharge time, too, pretty much made my engineer the "mage" of the party.  Good times. "
    How is Area Reave? Doing a run currently with a Sentinel whose most dependable biotic power is Reave, and I'm close to maxing it out. It's going to be a tough decision between that and Heavy Reave, but I'm sure I can't go wrong with either choice. 

For those who don't already know, Reave is an incredible power and I'd highly recommend equipping it as an extra ability. 

On topic: My first playthrough was a continuation of my Vanguard from Mass Effect 1. Vanguard's a solid class, can't use tech, but that's not really a weakness. Ended up specializing in Assault Rifles the first time and that helped quite a lot. 

My current playthrough, as stated, is using a Sentinel. They're basically tanks, and though I've not yet found the Tempest Sub-Machine Gun, I'm having a lot of fun playing around with the biotic abilities I didn't mess with too much as a Vanguard, not to mention the tech abilities like Overload and Cryo Blast. The thing about the Sentinel is that all its abilities are useful and can lend an advantage in any situation. I don't know that that's the case with the Vanguard, since the Vanguard didn't have a lot of health, something like the Charge--especially on a higher difficulty--could actually instigate more problems than it solves.
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By stephengotlost

I'm surprised to see so many soldiers. My reasoning for not picking soldier was my thinking that there are a million shooters already, so I wanted an more unique experience having the biotic powers.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By RedSox8933

I went with the Vanguard for my first playthrough which was fun, but not nearly as fun as the Adept. I'm going Infiltrator for my third playthrough.

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Juvarial

Vanguard first go. but on insane the charge is a little bit useless - Moment your out of your barrier your dead lol  
    Amount of soldier love is baffling o-o

JFetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JFetch

I picked Soldier, and it feels a little over powered. I can use almost every weapon in the game, and can just go through it like a shooter without even bothering with my squad mates. Most of the time I just use the sniper rifle and kill them before they even get close enough to pull out another gun unless I run out of bullets. I've never once used the rocket launcher or grenade launcher since they aren't really needed.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By immike

I play infiltrator and run with Tali and Garrus (my two favs from ME1). I can't get enough sniping. Cloak is fun too.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By Hamst3r

Soldier.

I don't need the biotic abilities myself, that's what my squad is for. They blast the enemies armor, pull them into the air and I shoot them to death with the awesome guns. :)
    Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Slaneesh

• (Other)?
      0.5%

What the? Who.
    Wahnsinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Wahnsinn

Soldier for me, with the new combat controls it really is worth it if you enjoy the shooting.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By D0tti

Soldier for me two, cause the weapons were just so awesome and after awhile I picked up a killer assualt rifle and just destroyed everything in my way with incendiary/cryo ammo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.