Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Shadow Broker -- At what point in ME2 should I play it?

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SagaciousJones

I'm currently doing a run-through of ME1+2 in preparation for 3 and I'm a little unsure of when in the game I should play it.

Obviously, it was released after everyone completed the suicide mission, so second to last (before Arrival) would be an option. However, from the hints and bits of info I've learned about LotSB, you get resources and some kind of "investment" options that would be useful in the middle of the game.

I was thinking of doing it after Horizon, but before the Reaper IFF--a good chunk of the game done, but not as a loose end after the plot resolves.

Thoughts?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

It's a relatively difficult mission, so if you're on insanity you'll want your Collector Base weapon and some upgraded powers. Definitely don't do it after the Reaper IFF if you want a perfect run (I don't know if you've played the game before, but you can pretty much only do one or two missions after the IFF without some imperfect stuff happening). I don't know if the "Investment" stuff does much, but you do get locations of specific mineral-rich planets that make mining and probing pretty easy.

I'd say do it after Collector Base, before IFF. That's how I'm doing it in my pre-ME3 run.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SagaciousJones

Perfect, thanks!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Aetheldod

Whenever it tickles you fancy .... the cool aspect of it is that the dlc registers and what time you are doing it , so changes lines acordingly etc.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Marz

I played it after i completed the game, seemed fine and there are lines of dialogue that mention what i did at the end of the game in the shadow broker DLC.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm gunna go ahead and go against what was said here and say do it ASAP. There's a bunch of investments that can help early on that will make make minerals/cash less tedius.

But really, it doesn't much matter. Do it if you start to get bored or something (I always get a bit bored when I'm doing all the loyalty quests, that gets repetitive, at least after the first play through)

Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Xakura

After collector ship, before IFF seems to be a good time to do it, as previously mentioned. You get the opportunity to make a bit of cash, but if you have an imported char/ completed the game previously, money should not be critical.

You do get some random weapon upgrades, not sure if it's one per playthrough. (Got sniper dmg as infiltrator, only checked back once)

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I played it after I finished the game, but I think it will work fine after you finish the part with Liara in the game.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ExplodeMode

It has a lot of upgrades and let's you respec your squad so saving it for last is kind of a waste.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WarlordPayne

You get more time to use the gameplay benefits if you do it early, however you get a bit of extra story stuff if you do it after the suicide mission. So go with whichever is more important to you.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tomkang

Insanity as the Soldier Class was not too hard, and I finished the game by the time the DLC came out, so I did it at the end.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ckeats

I was wondering this myself earlier.

What about Kasumi's Stolen Memory and Overlord?

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By NicksCorner

Overlord yields a nice amount of resources.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

You can do it before or after, I have done both, but I suggest doing it after the game when you don't have much else to think about other than doing that mission. The only thing that really changes is the conversation you have with Liara if you ask her to aboard the ship.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By deanoxd

I personally recommend not playing any of the dlc until you have completed your first play through.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Red

If you're playing a non-Soldier class, go through Kasumi ASAP as it yields a very nice SMG, that is basically as good as an assault rifle.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee

@ckeats said:

I was wondering this myself earlier.

What about Kasumi's Stolen Memory and Overlord?

Kasumi should be tackled ASAP, so as to unlock yourself a fantastic new SMG, and of course Kasumi herself who's a great party member(EDIT: or yeah, basically what said :P) . Overlord is completely independent story-wise, so it fits in whenever. There's no new weapons or squad-mates either, so there's no rush.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ckeats

@Abyssfull: @Red: Thanks guys. I'm playing Vanguard so a new SMG would be great. I just did the Horizon mission, so I got Kasumi downloading now. I think I may skip Overlord for now, just for the sake of saving time to finish for ME3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.