Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Should I buy Mass Effect 2?

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Kierkegaard

Yes, this is one of those topics, but I am honestly conflicted and would love some of the always helpful, kind, and patient advice of the internet.  

So, I'm one of those people who only owns the PS3 as his game console. I got the ME2 demo and, to my surprise, kinda got hooked just by playing those stages. So, the answer to my question seems obvious.  

However, I'm also a person who cannot help but be with the zeitgeist of the time. I know how the game ends, and the basic variatiosn. I know about a bunch of the choices. I know about the terrible end boss. I know a lot of character archs and relationship stuff. I was really interested in this game, but didn't think it was leaving 360 so I just went on an info/spoiler binge.  

My query is, then, whether I should play the game so that I can see all the characters and dialogue as i see fit and at my own pace following my own decisions (something I found enjoyable in the demo) or if  I should just be happy with my passive experience of the game, or wait for it to drop in price. I'd probably end up buying it if I did get it just to get all the DLC and cerberus stuff at once.  

What do you got for me people?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

Yup, you should play it so you have a save for ME3.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

Pick it up. There's so much content that the entry price is totally justified and it's a great experience overall. Plus you'll have your save for ME3.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DaemonBlack

Its twenty bones, probably not gonna get another price drop. I also was in your exact position as far as knowing the gist of the game. I've beat it 3 times and I am still playing. So yes absolutely do yourself a favor and pick it up.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By McGhee

Slap yourself for even asking the question. Then shut down your computer and go buy that game right now.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NinjaHunter

I was kind of in the same boat you're in. I learned about most of the character arcs and the relationship stuff but I still enjoyed the hell out of the game. I'm going to go through it for a second run through but I'm taking a little break from it right now.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By probablytuna

Yes.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Yes, it is one of the best games on the PS3 at the moment and should not be passed up on. It is one of the most engrossing and enjoyable games that I have played in years, and you should not miss out on this game. @nintendoeats said:

" Yup, you should play it so you have a save for ME3. "
    Also for that reason.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You're on a forum where a good 90% of the people will tell you yes. Including me.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By cbk486

I bought this for $60 on steam, and I would be happy paying twice that amount for the quality of the experience . Even if you know the basic story elements, the incredible writing, the depth of the lore, and the voice acting are what makes this game for me. I've played this game through twice, and I was still just as enthralled the second time as I was on my first play though. The combat and the unique abilities of each class in ME2 are really well done, so you are covered if you place a big emphasis on that aspect of  the game.  If nothing else, the cinematic presentation style in this game is something that has to be experienced first hand. Mass Effect really does feel like a space epic that sucks you in and never lets you go. The 30 or so hours of my first playthrough flew by. 

tl,dr: I would have payed $120 dollars for this game, and still think it would be worth every penny. Buy this now - it won GOTY for a reason. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Afroman269
    @nintendoeats said:
    " Yup, you should play it so you have a save for ME3. "
    This here, and experiencing the game for yourself is much better than reading a bunch of wikis.
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By l4wd0g

Yep. Sorry about the digital comic. It doesn't do ME justice. The comic is kind of awful.

vasylkoB317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By vasylkoB317

too lazy to write a substantial opinion but yes do yourself a favour at buy it!

Avatar image for thevideohustler
    TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheVideoHustler

You should buy two copies to apologize for asking such a blasphemes question

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman

This is a terrible question. Go buy the game!

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By landon

Mass Effect 2 has won multiple game of the year awards, has been talked about exhaustively about how great it is, and is one of the best western RPGs to come out in years. It currently sits at #14 on Gamerankings best games of all time with a 95.66% out of 100% based on 73 reviews. Top all of this off with the fact that you enjoyed the demo.

So sir, if your asking me if you need to play Mass Effect 1 to enjoy ME2, then I say no. I didn't like the first one but fell in love with the second one.
    If your asking if Mass Effect 2 is worth it's $60 price tag (without DLC) then I say yes. It's pure joy.
    But if your honestly gonna set there and ask me if you should buy Mass Effect 2, one of the best games this console generation, then I say yes. Yes you should...you moron.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Marz

it was game of the year and high on alot of people's list,  it has that status of you should probably play this if you like games kinda scenario.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kierkegaard

Just to clarify, I haven't just read wikis. I've watched the ending and a bunch of videos on youtube. I know what happens.  I did that because I didn't expect it to come out for my console and because I didn't expect to actually like the gameplay as much as I did in the demo. 

I also can only buy for PS3, so no cheaper version on 360 or Steam for me.  

Now, keeping in mind that I'm a college student trying to get something done at some point in the day, that I'm currently playing through AC:Brotherhood and about to absolutely buy and play through LittleBigPlanet 2, and that the new game will dip in price if I wait for a bit, renew your opinions.  

I know it's a great game. I know I liked what I played. But practicalities, like money and time, exist.  

So, please, advise. Is the game so good, so life changing, that I should purchase a new PS3 copy instantly, or will waiting a few more months not kill me?  

Partly, I just like to see the arguments... 

TL;DR: IT"S COMPLICATED. Read the fucking text. 

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By ryno9881

Lets get this straight. Mass Effect 2 is not an RPG.  It's a third person cover based shooter with some "leveling". 

It totally worth it man, you can hear about the cool stuff in the game but experiencing it is a completely different thing. Plus as people said, keep your save for ME3. And I totally get about the time issue as I'm in the same position myself.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RE_Player1

I got ME2 for the ps3 and love everything about it... however much of that love comes from playing the first one on the PC 8 times and reading all the novels. If you were to jump in without knowing anything you would still have a good time but you might be a little confused with some of the story and alien race history. 

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By velucyraptor

Just get it. Go.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Short answer: Yes
    Long answer: Hell Yes

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Kierkegaard: The end boss, while pretty bad, doesn't ruin the experience by any means. Pick it up and then just PLAY it. Don't look at any walkthroughs or guides, don't try to get the "best" ending, just play it. Experience it. It's an amazing game.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cornman89

How else are you gonna get that clear save to import into Mass Effect 3? Get it!

davefromabove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By davefromabove

Man I've played the game well over 2 times on my PC and I still wanna buy it for my ps3 even though the gfx look horrid on it

Saltank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Saltank

Can't you make up your own mind?

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Althox
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " however much of that love comes from playing the first one on the PC 8 times and reading all the novels. If you were to jump in without knowing anything you would still have a good time but you might be a little confused with some of the story and alien race history.  "
     Indeed. Oh and I have just three words for this: Go For It!
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Dizzyhippos

If you plan on playing me3 when it comes out then yes, I have played ME2 both as a fresh character and an imported one trust me you will miss alot if you just start new

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.