Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

So I just had to put in Disc 2 to do a sidequest...

• 59 results
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sixghost

Jacob's loyalty story specifically. What the fuck? I thought this wasn't supposed to happen. The guy on the bombcast made it seem like you would have to switch the discs out once at a specific point in the story. Does anyone have any idea how the discs are split? After I finished the sidequest I traveled back to Omega to see if it would switch me back to disc 1, but it didn't. 

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Lestater

Disc 1 is the beginning and end; Disc 2 is the middle of the game.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Lestater said:
    " Disc 1 is the beginning and end; Disc 2 is the middle of the game. "
    ...really? That's very... odd...
    Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lestater
    @TheGreatGuero: At least that's what I've heard, it has to do with the places you go for the main quests. 

Here's the link: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1063107p1.html
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By withateethuh

It makes sense. The middle part is going to be the most extensive and have the most non linear options so that you get ready for the final mission. SInce the actual mission to go to the collectors is probably going to be very straightforward, it doesn't take up as much space and fits better with the intro aspects of the game.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sixghost
    @Lestater said:

So will I not be switching back to disc 1 for a while? That seems really unlikely since it asked me to switch the discs out right when I started one of the side missions, not one from the main plotline. Also, I went back to a place where I was in disc 1, which seems weird. Do they just lock off certain parts of the world after you complete them, like the first 3 worlds that you recruit members on? (i.e. the apartments and archangel's base on omega, the krogan research place, and the purgatory ship)
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

I didn't know this game had two disks.                      lol

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lestater
    @sixghost: Disc 1 has the more linear elements of the game, the things that have the least amount of player influence like the beginning and end of the game.  All of the specific things you do throughout the game are within Disc 2 so you don't have to switch discs just because of one decision.
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Death_Burnout

Whoa whoa whoa...this game has more than one disk!? What the hell? another reason for me to be completely turned off Mass Effect 2? this list goes on and on much to my dismay.

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lestater
    @Death_Burnout: I never really understood why people are so against multiple discs, is the 5 second break that heart wrenching?  Would people rather have a shorter game with poorer graphics just so it's on one disc?
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By MildMolasses
    @Death_Burnout:
    If multiple discs is a possible turn off to you, then you were never interested in the game to begin with. If someone can't be inconvenienced to make a disc swap after 6-10 hours, then their isn't much hope for them in life
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By maxszy
    @Death_Burnout: What? You're way overreacting buddy. ME2 is the best game you're going to play in 2010, better jump on  board now! :-)

@sixghost: Essentially in some ways. For instance, you can go back to Omega, but I  believe the areas where you recruit Archangel and the Doctor you can not go back to. Why would you go back to those areas anyway?  As for having to switch to go do Jacob's side mission, I believe all the personal squad members quests to know them better and gain their loyalty are on the second disc. Don't ask me why, just seems to be the way it is.

I would think about it like this: The game is broken up into 3 parts. The middle part is by far the biggest, so it has its own disc (disc 2). The first part is big, but not as big as the middle part and therefore has room for the 3rd part which is the ending. Does that make sense? That's my guess anyway.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sixghost
    @Maxszy said:
    " @Death_Burnout: What? You're way overreacting buddy. ME2 is the best game you're going to play in 2010, better jump on  board now! :-)

@sixghost: Essentially in some ways. For instance, you can go back to Omega, but I  believe the areas where you recruit Archangel and the Doctor you can not go back to. Why would you go back to those areas anyway?  As for having to switch to go do Jacob's side mission, I believe all the personal squad members quests to know them better and gain their loyalty are on the second disc. Don't ask me why, just seems to be the way it is.  I would think about it like this: The game is broken up into 3 parts. The middle part is by far the biggest, so it has its own disc (disc 2). The first part is big, but not as big as the middle part and therefore has room for the 3rd part which is the ending. Does that make sense? That's my guess anyway. "

Yeah that makes sense. I'm just wondering if I'm going to be switching discs back and forth until I'm deeper into disc 2, or is it a clean break from disc 1, until much later in the game.

I'm mostly worried about this because I still have a 20gb harddrive, and having both discs installed at the same time is pretty inconvenient.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Death_Burnout
    @MildMolasses: See, i knew someone would say that, but dislikes are dislikes and i just dont like the idea in any shape and in any game, that i gotta change a disc...stop the flow, to get to a certain part of the game, now i dont really know how ME2 handles this myself, but i pray that it is as minimal as previously said.

I think it's the idea that i can only do certain things on one disc and not on the other, that just drives me insane.

@Maxszy:

Well, if i didnt play and complete the original again a week before this one, i wouldnt be overreacting, but because i did, i cant help but notice every single major difference with this game, and then just hate it, because for whatever reason, i fell in love with the original like never before! i want ME2 in a lot of ways to be kinda janky and full of bad interfaces and RPG elements

Now i just get the impression its just another cover based shooter (a good one i am told) with amazing characters and dialogue (the only reason why im still super interested) hell, i loved the planet and mako stuff! dont ask why! im just a space exploration freak, and now the side missions here, even if they are "better", look a little too side mission-ey, im a randomization kinda guy (not that the original had any of that, yet the planets looked randomly plotted when made)
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By napalm
    @sixghost said:
    " @Maxszy said:
    " @Death_Burnout: What? You're way overreacting buddy. ME2 is the best game you're going to play in 2010, better jump on  board now! :-)

@sixghost: Essentially in some ways. For instance, you can go back to Omega, but I  believe the areas where you recruit Archangel and the Doctor you can not go back to. Why would you go back to those areas anyway?  As for having to switch to go do Jacob's side mission, I believe all the personal squad members quests to know them better and gain their loyalty are on the second disc. Don't ask me why, just seems to be the way it is.  I would think about it like this: The game is broken up into 3 parts. The middle part is by far the biggest, so it has its own disc (disc 2). The first part is big, but not as big as the middle part and therefore has room for the 3rd part which is the ending. Does that make sense? That's my guess anyway. "

Yeah that makes sense. I'm just wondering if I'm going to be switching discs back and forth until I'm deeper into disc 2, or is it a clean break from disc 1, until much later in the game.

I'm mostly worried about this because I still have a 20gb harddrive, and having both discs installed at the same time is pretty inconvenient.

"
    I was in the same boat. I had to switch to disc two when I was traveling to another system, and so I thought half of the systems were on each disc, and I thought I went to an area that was specifically on disc two. It hasn't switched me back. I suppose the story is divided up like the others mentioned.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By project343

Disk 1: introduction, first batch of character missions, the end and any other content around those points
    Disk 2: second batch of character missions, middle story missions, and all loyalty missions--as well as any sidequests and middle-game content

waketowakekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By waketowakekid

Atleast  you do not have to switch disks in the middle of the fire fight

kidko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By kidko

I had to switch to disk 2 which made me sad because it means the game is getting closer to the end :'(

Venom09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Venom09

i switched to the 2nd disc about 5-6 hours in. I'm currently at 23 hours and haven't switched discs since. So no, you won't be changing discs a lot.

ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ahab88

Yeah, so don't go lending your friend the first disc once you get to disc 2.

Venom09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Venom09
    @ahab88: LOL
    JFetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JFetch

I haven't had to switch discs yet, so I must not be as far along as I thought I was.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel
    @Death_Burnout: You just sound lazy.

"Oh my god!  I have to stand up for twenty seconds in order to swap discs in my console!  Woe is me!"
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cornman89

....Seriously. It's not a big deal.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Shadow

How about this for a solution for next time?  You install both disks, then they are both booted from the hard drive based on the fact that you have disk 1 in the tray.  That way, no switching

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Death_Burnout
    @Hailinel said:

" @Death_Burnout: You just sound lazy.  "Oh my god!  I have to stand up for twenty seconds in order to swap discs in my console!  Woe is me!" "

Thats not really the point dipshit.

My problem with it, is that i hate that feeling that only some things can be done and seen one one disc, and not on the other, and then vice versa.

Now that i have PLAYED the game, i know it's not a problem, it doesnt bother me here, the only thing that bothers me is the actual game, but that is another story.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By EpicSteve
    "I CAN'T HANDLE SWITCHING DISKS!!"

- The Internet
    waketowakekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By waketowakekid
    @Death_Burnout said:
    " Whoa whoa whoa...this game has more than one disk!? What the hell? another reason for me to be completely turned off Mass Effect 2? this list goes on and on much to my dismay. "
    @Death_Burnout said:
    " @Hailinel said:

" @Death_Burnout: You just sound lazy.  "Oh my god!  I have to stand up for twenty seconds in order to swap discs in my console!  Woe is me!" "

My problem with it, is that i hate that feeling that only some things can be done and seen one one disc, and not on the other, and then vice versa.

Now that i have PLAYED the game, i know it's not a problem, it doesnt bother me here, the only thing that bothers me is the actual game, but that is another story. "
    Dude you complained about even wanting to buy ME2 because of your list of complaints, then you bought it and don't like it. You have no one to complain to it's your own fault. and this whole thing about switching disks. OH MY GOD. It takes like 15 seconds total. Your stupid. The recruitment and loyalty missions and side missions are on both disks the only thing that isn't are the missions the illusive man sends you on about the collectors. 
    Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kouerson
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " @Lestater said:
    ...really? That's very... odd... "
    Not really, Fear Effect 2 did a whole lot of disc swapping with it's four discs. I think it ended up finishing on disc two.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @Death_Burnout said:
    " @Hailinel said:

Now that i have PLAYED the game, i know it's not a problem, it doesnt bother me here, the only thing that bothers me is the actual game, but that is another story. "
    Congratulations, you just called me a dipshit.  Would you like cheese with your whine?
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @waketowakekid said:
    " @Death_Burnout said:
    " Whoa whoa whoa...this game has more than one disk!? What the hell? another reason for me to be completely turned off Mass Effect 2? this list goes on and on much to my dismay. "
    @Death_Burnout said:
    " @Hailinel said:

Your stupid.  "
    Irony lol.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

Hope you didn't break a hip, gramps. Life is super hard for you.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Where do you even have to switch the discs? I own the PC Version so I never had to do it.

JoshMcC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By JoshMcC
    @project343 said:
    " Disk 1: introduction, first batch of character missions, the end and any other content around those points  
    Disk 2: second batch of character missions, middle story missions, and all loyalty missions--as well as any sidequests and middle-game content "
    Best synopsis I've seen and right on the money. 
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Death_Burnout
    @waketowakekid: I always wanted to buy mass effect 2, i wanted to play mass effect 2, and now that i have it i will conitnue to play mass effect 2. Your problem? i did say that now i have the game, the disc swapping, is NO PROBLEM, get that through your skull. The whole thing about me being turned away from the game, was a throw away post based on Brad Showmakers discussion on the last bombcast...not intented to make people question my intelligence

No idea why people are focusing on me, its pure petty internet retaliation to somones take on a game, oh wait, that is pretty much is forum boards on whole.

@Hailinel:  Yeah! wouldn't mind! congratulations on focusing one the least significant part of my post.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @Death_Burnout: When you sling insults like that, the rest of your post might as well not exist.
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Death_Burnout
    @Hailinel: Ack, sorry, it was a pretty quick post, but still, i would rather peope listen to me for once, listen to the part where i explain, rather than all the dumb negative stuff. But i've found this whole topic to be so ridiculous, people are very quick to say:

"you stupid! change the disc, it aint that hard!"

You're right, it isnt hard! i do it every day, go me! but seriously, people have been overreacting. i know i said i hate disc changing (which remains true if it's done poorly in a game) but it was just a thing i said, in relation to Brad's onslaught of suprises from the bombcast.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CL60

They did the disc swapping really well in this game. Dsic 1 is just the beginning part of the game and the suicide mission, the rest of the game is on disc 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay for PC.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By Dustpan

Buy it for the PC if you don't want to deal the disc swapping. You swap discs three times through the entire game. People just love to bitch.

vedicardi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By vedicardi

Yeah, I'd just install ONE disk, and keep the other in the tray while you play.  Can't you just do that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Death_Burnout said:
    " @Hailinel: Ack, sorry, it was a pretty quick post, but still, i would rather peope listen to me for once, listen to the part where i explain, rather than all the dumb negative stuff
    If you want people to pay attention to the portions of your posts that you feel are valuable try not to insult people and be disrespectful. You won't have to fight to have people ignore the dumb negative stuff if it doesn't exist...
    Avatar image for dancinginfernal
    dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dancinginfernal
    @vedicardi said:
    " Yeah, I'd just install ONE disk, and keep the other in the tray while you play.  Can't you just do that? "
    Cthulhu approves of this idea. Unfortunately, this means it will never come to fruition. 
    blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By blackbeard

whats a 2 disc game? sorry... sorry... I have a PS3 :) 

does it really matter, no. so what.

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cannedstingray
    @Shadow:
    you still have to switch.. I did this hoping that would be the case, but it isn't.. either way tho it's not a big deal
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Death_Burnout
    @CrazyBagMan said:
    " @Death_Burnout said:
    " @Hailinel: Ack, sorry, it was a pretty quick post, but still, i would rather peope listen to me for once, listen to the part where i explain, rather than all the dumb negative stuff
    If you want people to pay attention to the portions of your posts that you feel are valuable try not to insult people and be disrespectful. You won't have to fight to have people ignore the dumb negative stuff if it doesn't exist... "
    *sigh* i wasnt referring to that post in particular, the one with the insult, i meant the other ones. I threw that insult mostly because people were focusing on me to the point where i got defensive. I also, and i didn't explain this at the time, was reffering to ALL of my posts on this site, a lot the time, i say really positive and energetic shit! and then no one will reply to that, they dont really want to, nor have to, but all of time where i express an opinion...usually a negeative one in other peoples eyes, it goes to hell, and hey thats the internet and it happens to everyone.

Im pretty tired of explaining myself.
    waketowakekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By waketowakekid
    @Death_Burnout  

Dude, you mentioned you were unaware that it had two discs. You said that it turned you off along with another info you got about the game. Then you said your problem is with the game not with the disc swap. Do you need for me to quote you again? Oh and I know the disc swap is no big deal, I have never complained about it. 
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @sixghost said:
    " Jacob's loyalty story specifically. What the fuck? I thought this wasn't supposed to happen. The guy on the bombcast made it seem like you would have to switch the discs out once at a specific point in the story. Does anyone have any idea how the discs are split? After I finished the sidequest I traveled back to Omega to see if it would switch me back to disc 1, but it didn't.  "
    I have no idea why but reading that made me wanna hit you, SHUT UP
    BackwardsHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BackwardsHero
    @Death_Burnout:@Death_Burnout said:

" @CrazyBagMan said:

" @Death_Burnout said:
    If you want people to pay attention to the portions of your posts that you feel are valuable try not to insult people and be disrespectful. You won't have to fight to have people ignore the dumb negative stuff if it doesn't exist... "
    *sigh* i like to complain, and be a dick, and when people call me out on it, I retaliate further, and then backpedal to get myself out of the hole i dug. 
      I'm really tired of explaining why i act like an ass.
    fixd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.